• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Source on it being gender specific?
Regardless of that, when iphone 6 came out, I remember the gold color was the hardest to get, and people were thinking it was the most popular. Turned out, it was actually the least selling color, and it was just produced in low amounts (afaik, the black one was by far the most selling, and it was also easiest to get at launch)

I would imagine the same situation applies here. Rose gold color is such a specific fashion conscious choice that I think vast majority of people won't even consider it.

Arlen777

Nah, just after a year with the + I now know the superior iPhone.

I promise there isn't one person upgrading from 6+ to 6S+ and that's for a reason. The + is too big, and the S+ is even bigger. If the design of the + wasn't just "bigger 6 lol" and had some proper landscape support like it advertises it does, maybe it would be a decent option.

I actually am upgrading from 6+ to 6s+
I went from 6 to 6+
6+ is laggier than 6, put i love the screen real estate. Also i dont think many people put that much thought in the decision process, because at the end of the day its a luxury item

Personally I like the larger display of the 6+ model a lot more, but I think the larger size due to the bezels make it uncomfortable. The iPhone 7+ is going to be the GOAT if they drop the bezels on it.

Owari

Well then, I'm sure the percentage of 6+ to 6S upgraders is significantly larger than those going from 6+ to 6S+ then. Just fed up with the crap design. Hopefully the 7+ features a design that isn't so clumsy that it requires a case, making it even more bulky.

Also, have fun buying a new case for the 6S+, since it's larger than the 6+.

Owari

Personally I like the larger display of the 6+ model a lot more, but I think the larger size due to the bezels make it uncomfortable. The iPhone 7+ is going to be the GOAT if they drop the bezels on it.
Until this happens the non Plus models will be the superior option.

Shenmue

Banned
Anyone here preorder from Tmobile?

Where can I check to see if I have a tracking number? I got billed a couple of days ago.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I bought a 6+ at launch (in space grey), and am upgrading to a 6S+ (in rose gold).

I'm a big guy - 6'2", and can (somewhat) easily use the 6+ in one hand. I text and check emails with one hand, at least. But I'd be the first to admit I don't like the size - it's still unweildy, it takes up a lot of space in my pockets, it doesn't fit in the cup holder of a lot of my rental cars, and it takes up too much room when I sit it down on a table or something where I'm eating. It's also heavy (and getting heavier). I *much* prefer the size of the iPhone 6, though even that, I feel, is slightly too big. I think 4.3-4.4" is my "ideal" size; but I would want 1080p.

Anyway, though, the reason I'm keeping the Plus? The battery life is just too damn good to let go of. I can *EASILY* make it a full day, and usually to noon or so the next day, with heavy use.

Owari

I bought a 6+ at launch (in space grey), and am upgrading to a 6S+ (in rose gold).

I'm a big guy - 6'2", and can (somewhat) easily use the 6+ in one hand. I text and check emails with one hand, at least. But I'd be the first to admit I don't like the size - it's still unweildy, it takes up a lot of space in my pockets, it doesn't fit in the cup holder of a lot of my rental cars, and it takes up too much room when I sit it down on a table or something where I'm eating. It's also heavy (and getting heavier). I *much* prefer the size of the iPhone 6, though even that, I feel, is slightly too big. I think 4.3-4.4" is my "ideal" size; but I would want 1080p.

Anyway, though, the reason I'm keeping the Plus? The battery life is just too damn good to let go of. I can *EASILY* make it a full day, and usually to noon or so the next day, with heavy use.
They say the battery in the 6S+ is significantly smaller than the 6+..

Cutting through the crap:

iPhone 6S benchmark

a08deZl.jpg

iPhone 6S Plus Benchmark from screenshot of MKBHT review video of 6S Plus

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They say the battery in the 6S+ is significantly smaller than the 6+..
I beieve the battery is 5% smaller. I'd imagine A9 is more power efficient CPU (although I have my doubts as it's clocked much higher). But either way 5% is not significant for a phone that had such a lengthy battery life to begin with.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm still sticking with my plan of retiring my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 5S for a iPhone 6S+. WHO'S GONNA STOP ME

edit: haha those benchmarks are the opposite of jaxapollo's claims aren't they?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Nah, just after a year with the + I now know the superior iPhone.

I promise there isn't one person upgrading from 6+ to 6S+ and that's for a reason. The + is too big, and the S+ is even bigger. If the design of the + wasn't just "bigger 6 lol" and had some proper landscape support like it advertises it does, maybe it would be a decent option.

Ok this has to be a troll. I am one of these mythical creatures going from 6+ to 6s+.

Shenmue

Banned
Cutting through the crap:

iPhone 6S benchmark

iPhone 6S Plus Benchmark from screenshot of MKBHT review video of 6S Plus

Is lower or higher score better?

I'm still sticking with my plan of retiring my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 5S for a iPhone 6S+. WHO'S GONNA STOP ME

Chubs don't let the naysayers sway you. The Plus models can absolutely go a LONG ways towards replacing the iPad Mini. I had the exact setup as you (a mini and a 5s), and once I got my plus, my mini pretty much went to my wife so that she could dual screen ipads, because I really stopped using the mini.

The only reason I still ever used the mini was if I wanted to watch something and do something else simultaneously and was too lazy to use the laptop.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

6+ also slightly higher benchmarks, but in practice performed slightly worse due to much higher screen resolution. I'd imagine with the S series the performance difference won't matter much either way due to significantly increased processing power.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well then, I'm sure the percentage of 6+ to 6S upgraders is significantly larger than those going from 6+ to 6S+ then. Just fed up with the crap design. Hopefully the 7+ features a design that isn't so clumsy that it requires a case, making it even more bulky.

Also, have fun buying a new case for the 6S+, since it's larger than the 6+.

Wait you mean that fraction of a millimeter thickness will make my leather Apple 6+ case explode? Get a clue dude.

Arlen777

Let me put positivity in this thread
WE ARE 1 DAY AWAY FROM THE RELEASE!!!!!

I dont count today because its not a full day anymore, and dont count friday because its the day of release, so one more day Thursday!!!!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chubs don't let the naysayers sway you. The Plus models can absolutely go a LONG ways towards replacing the iPad Mini. I had the exact setup as you (a mini and a 5s), and once I got my plus, my mini pretty much went to my wife so that she could dual screen ipads, because I really stopped using the mini.

The only reason I still ever used the mini was if I wanted to watch something and do something else simultaneously and was too lazy to use the laptop.

Oh man this is great to hear. Hype restored!

6+ also slightly higher benchmarks, but in practice performed slightly worse due to much higher screen resolution. I'd imagine with the S series the performance difference won't matter much either way due to significantly increased processing power.

Ah I see.

Shenmue

Banned
Oh man this is great to hear. Hype restored!

There is one downside though. Once it was like having an ipad with me everywhere, I basically couldn't stop watching things at lunch break at work, whereas with the 5s it was just too small to really watch things enjoyably. I would just prop it up on a glass, a ketchup bottle, whatever.

Caught up on so many TV series and movies at lunch once I got this thing!

I think the really great thing about the Plus is that the screen's big enough for media consumption, while having the perfect balance of being able to type easily and quickly still (I typed with only 1 hand, and can type with decent accuracy without looking at the screen), whereas the ipad is great for screen size, but I HATE HATE HATE typing on that thing. The iPad mini's keyboard is too big to use 3rd party Swype keyboards comfortably and even with the split official Apple keyboard, it's still not ideal to thumb type.

Owari

Is lower or higher score better?

Except the mini can actually multitask instead of just tricking you into thinking it can.

4380 isn't struggling to hit 4300 dude.
Still a lot lower than 4800

According to this the 6S benches at 4800, and the article I read yesterday has the 6S+ struggling to hit 4300

Bencharks go up and down even on the same phone. its hitting an approximate number. in the end the performance is the same. you will also get a benchmark which says 6S+ has a 4850 on one and a day later 4400. this doesnt make 6S+ faster. they are the same processor

BGR Article said:
According to the images above, the iPhone 6s scored 2292 in the single-core test, while multi-core tests yielded a 4293 score.

Mashable said:
The iPhone 6S Plus handily beats the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ on Geekbench single-core scores and, despite the Galaxy's eight cores, also edges it out in multi-core performance numbers (4,380 versus 4,186).

Am I reading this correctly?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Except the mini can actually multitask instead of just tricking you into thinking it can.

Still a lot lower than 4800

If you scroll up you will see an actual screenshot of the 6S hitting 4293.
With the review you linked has the 6S+ at 4380 and MKBHD hitting 4406, I don't think the performance gap is as wide as you think.

I can't wait to see the next made-up fact! This is kind of fun.

Owari

There is one downside though. Once it was like having an ipad with me everywhere, I basically couldn't stop watching things at lunch break at work, whereas with the 5s it was just too small to really watch things enjoyably. I would just prop it up on a glass, a ketchup bottle, whatever.

Caught up on so many TV series and movies at lunch once I got this thing!
Which destroys any extra battery you might have had.
I think the really great thing about the Plus is that the screen's big enough for media consumption, while having the perfect balance of being able to type easily and quickly still, whereas the ipad is great for screen size, but I HATE HATE HATE typing on that thing. The iPad mini's keyboard is too big to use 3rd party Swype keyboards comfortably and even with the split official Apple keyboard, it's still not ideal to thumb type.
The iPad Mini vertical/split keyboard is leagues easier to type on VS the +

Newline

Just got a text from EE UK saying my iPhone 6S+ will arrive in store on Friday. So hyped!

Also to chime in on the current discussion. In the end I opted for the plus variant as I came from a note 3. I cannot imagine using a phone thats smaller than my note 3 after using it for two years. Anything else would seem like a little toy, seriously once you make the jump your mind is practically programmed.

Also can we talk cases? What cases are you guys picking up on launch day? I'm undecided between a leather wallet case and a clear plastic shell.
Which destroys any extra battery you might have had.
You're trying too hard.
IwjI3ST.jpg

Mideon

UK Here ordered direct from Apple shows as dispatched now on the website.

UK Mail are the carrier and the tracking does not work though :-(

Owari

I didn't mean to get you guys all riled up, just wanted to let people who think the 6+ is an iPad replacement know there's zero landscape app support and the design is awkward as all hell to hold. Get all this anger you guys have and direct it at app developers who don't give a shit about spending $200 out of their millions on their apps to make them landscape.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just got a text from EE UK saying my iPhone 6S+ will arrive in store on Friday. So hyped!

Also to chime in on the current discussion. In the end I opted for the plus variant as I came from a note 3. I cannot imagine using a phone thats smaller than my note 3 after using it for two years. Anything else would seem like a little toy, seriously once you make the jump your mind is practically programmed.

Also can we talk cases? What cases are you guys picking up on launch day? I'm undecided between a leather wallet case and a clear plastic shell.

For a case I'm using my black leather iPhone 6+ case for my 6S+.
Looks really sleek on the white faced iPhones.

The case has such a slim profile it is the only case I have found (of the 3 I have tried) to feel right.

That being said I am super excited for this kickstarter case.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/886015032/k11-bumper-iphone-6-6s-6-plus-and-6s-plus

Top Bottom