• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

MisterR

Does anybody know if the $5 a month leasing for T-Mobile is for the 16 gb only? I signed up for the 64 for $20 a month.

Then you also don't care about proper split screen multitasking eventually making it to the iPhone, which would be the best use of the humongous screen.

moving goalposts, when you lose the argument on benchmarks you shifted focus and said oh i was talking about ipad vs iphone in landscape.

i get it, you are regretting not getting the +

Meicyn

Gold Member
Then you also don't care about proper split screen multitasking eventually making it to the iPhone, which would be the best use of the humongous screen.
The best use of my extra screen real estate for me is easier to read text and easier typing on the software keyboard, you pretentious ass.

So you aren't getting your multitasking needs filled. That sucks for you, and I can understand why you aren't interested in a 6S+, but you've gone way beyond merely voicing your malcontent at this point.

Shenmue

Banned

Yeah... I've used the "multitasking" on my iPad mini on io9. Maybe they'll improve it with future firmware updates, but that's not even a feature worth using for me right now, it's so limited.

As for typing, I can only speak for my own hands. I can type way faster on my 6 Plus than my iPad mini. I don't however use the stock Apple keyboard. If I have to use 2 hands to type, I'm not a fan. Probably a preference picked up from my days as an Android user.

Finally as for battery, even with watching netflix on my phone during my hour long lunch break, I still have no trouble making it through the day on my battery. On the days I forget to charge at night, I can easily charge in my car or in my office.

We are only trying to help people see the light. Plus owners will hate their choice after a year :(

And yet I love my choice and would never go with the regular model... To each their own.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Does anybody know if the $5 a month leasing for T-Mobile is for the 16 gb only? I signed up for the 64 for $20 a month.

Yes it's for the 16gb only, of course.

I called them to inquire about the monthly jump rate rate if I trade in my 16GB 5s for a 64GB 6s plus and they said they only had the promotional pricing for the 16GB versions.

And btw, a 16GB iPhone is a fucking abomination. It should be 32GB minimum and it should have been for a year. It's just a ploy to advertise $649 or $199 with contract.

The real prices are $100 higher for a usable phone.

Owari

moving goalposts, when you lose the argument on benchmarks you shifted focus and said oh i was talking about ipad vs iphone in landscape.
nope. That was my first point. Nice try, though.
Man, all of you 6S+ buyers expecting an iPhone with iPad features are in for a rude awakening. The only apps that even support landscape are Messages and Mail. There is zero and I mean zero third party landscape orientation support. The increased screen real estate is worthless, and since the RAM is the same in both S models, the + will run significantly slower/probably get broken by iOS 10.

anecdotal evidence. my wife hated the + last year, so did my aunt. my uncle, my dad, my mom and my cousin....

they all are getting the 6S+ now....
So they're hypocrites then

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You know, I didn't even hate my 6 plus. I'm using it now, I'm pretty tall (or at least, not short) and my hands are big. But it was still pretty unwieldy and its performance left something to be desired. I'm upgrading from a 6 Plus 16GB to a 6S 64GB. I'm excited to downsize. The only thing I will miss is the battery life, but since I have a charger at my office desk, I'm not too worried about it. Otherwise, everything else is an upgrade for me.

Shenmue

Banned
Well, you never really explained why they're getting the 6S+ since they hated the 6+. I'd be curious to hear that.

Well if the situation is anything like my wife, she always verbally says my phone is too big, but when we're out and she wants to look up something she always asks to use my phone instead of her 4s.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
they grew into loving the + size and find it better now. the other person is on ignore list for that comment.
Oh, so they hated it initially and grew to love it.

While jaxapollo is over-doing the 6s vs 6s+ thing, I think his argument was that people who use the 6 plus for a year love it at first, then end up hating it due to size and other factors, thus when it comes time to upgrade they're going to downsize (this argument is kind of ridiculous and unfounded, it seems). Sounded like your family had the opposite happen to them so it doesn't really apply.

my wife's iphone 6S+

t0ZM5TU.png

Shenmue

Banned
They are using overnight. We should both have our phones on the 25th. Exciting!

OMG yessss! I was afraid I wouldn't be getting it at launch since TMobile reps screwed up on my order and placed it as EIP causing my correct order to be delayed until Sunday.

Owari

I mean they hated the 6+ and then got a 6s+..........

You literally could have put they grew into loving it in your post I mean it's not that guys fault you can't include relevant details in your post.
I didn't mean to offend anyone... That's just how the post read. If they hated the 6+ and bought the 6S+ anyway they would be hypocrites. And usually after a year people hate the + after initially loving it..
Oh, so they hated it initially and grew to love it.

While jaxapollo is over-doing the 6s vs 6s+ thing, I think his argument was that people who use the 6 plus for a year love it at first, then end up hating it due to size and other factors, thus when it comes time to upgrade they're going to downsize (this argument is kind of ridiculous and unfounded, it seems). Sounded like your family had the opposite happen to them so it doesn't really apply.
I just feel like more people should be outraged the 6+/6S+ does not work as advertised... People buying the 6S+ after dealing with the 6+ are just perpetuating Apple's false marketing. The landscape home screen, messages and Mail apps mislead many to think there would be gratuitous landscape app support, when in reality there is zero.

Well if the situation is anything like my wife, she always verbally says my phone is too big, but when we're out and she wants to look up something she always asks to use my phone instead of her 4s.

Playing Devil's Advocate here: She would ask for your 6 too if you had it. Either is better than her 4s.

iMax

I didn't mean to get you guys all riled up, just wanted to let people who think the 6+ is an iPad replacement know there's zero landscape app support and the design is awkward as all hell to hold. Get all this anger you guys have and direct it at app developers who don't give a shit about spending $200 out of their millions on their apps to make them landscape.

I only see one angry person in this thread.

Hmm well my plan of switching from Verizon to AT+T might be going to the dumps...

I reserved an AT+T version for the Upgrade Program in store.... do you guys think this will be a problem? They're all unlocked right

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, in my experience, there are zero compelling uses of landscape view that are unique to the Plus. Maybe the email app, but the split panes feel cramped to me. Stuff like the Japanese keyboard (kana), for example, honestly feel like worse experiences. Other stuff just feels pointless, like the official Twitter app.

I would probably go with the form factor of the standard 6S, but I'm not having that 720p in 2015.

All 6+ owners should be angry that Apple used false advertising to sell their product! The fact that there's less than 10 total landscape apps optimized for the 6+ is ridiculous.

What false advertising have they used?

See, that's what happens when I stop posting for a few hours. Everyone starts fighting over meaningless garbage

Hmm well my plan of switching from Verizon to AT+T might be going to the dumps...

I reserved an AT+T version for the Upgrade Program in store.... do you guys think this will be a problem? They're all unlocked right

Hmm.... Possibly not.. So the AT&T model is labeled that because it comes with an AT&T SIM inside. And the phone does have to be activated for the IUP before you leave the store. They might be able to get a separate Verizon SIM and activate it on that instead of on AT&T, but I'm not super optimistic about that.

MisterR

Yes it's for the 16gb only, of course.

I called them to inquire about the monthly jump rate rate if I trade in my 16GB 5s for a 64GB 6s plus and they said they only had the promotional pricing for the 16GB versions.

And btw, a 16GB iPhone is a fucking abomination. It should be 32GB minimum and it should have been for a year. It's just a ploy to advertise $649 or $199 with contract.

The real prices are $100 higher for a usable phone.

Ok thanks. Yep, the 16GB is gonna be worthless with 4k video and live photos.

All 6+ owners should be angry that Apple used false advertising to sell their product! The fact that there's less than 10 total landscape apps optimized for the 6+ is ridiculous.
If they did promise extensive landscape app development then I'd probably agree, but I don't know if that is enough of a selling point to matter. People just want a nice screen to watch videos, view websites or photos.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I would have bought it even if it had 0 landscape apps.
Why should I be mad again?

Owari

Yeah... I've used the "multitasking" on my iPad mini on io9. Maybe they'll improve it with future firmware updates, but that's not even a feature worth using for me right now, it's so limited.
Multitasking is limited to the newest iPad mini and Air 2 (released Friday) .. All other iPads have the crap card based multitasking. Not split screen. My iPad mini can browse GAF, Twitter, and play video at the same time. This functionality would be fantastic on a large iPhone, but will never happen if current Plus owners continue not giving a shit about landscape apps.

As for typing, I can only speak for my own hands. I can type way faster on my 6 Plus than my iPad mini. I don't however use the stock Apple keyboard. If I have to use 2 hands to type, I'm not a fan. Probably a preference picked up from my days as an Android user.
What's a good one handed keyboard for the 6+? Is there one that shoves the keys into the left or right side so you can actually reach them with one hand?

Owari

If they did promise extensive landscape app development then I'd probably agree, but I don't know if that is enough of a selling point to matter. People just want a nice screen to watch videos, view websites or photos.
None of those things are worth the sacrifice of comfortable one handed use. Buy an iPad and enjoy those things on ipad 10 times as much... All at the same time.

I would have bought it even if it had 0 landscape apps.
Why should I be mad again?
Because without landscape apps there will never be true multitasking on iPhone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still sticking with my plan of retiring my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 5S for a iPhone 6S+. WHO'S GONNA STOP ME

edit: haha those benchmarks are the opposite of jaxapollo's claims aren't they?

Sounds good. I think for web browsing that'd be fine, but I'd miss the screen size of my iPad Air for video. Actually tempted by the iPad pro mainly for video. Depends how good Lightroom is on it I think

Newline

Has anyone had any experience with cases like this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NMPAGGS/

Multitasking is limited to the newest iPad mini and Air 2 (released Friday) .. All other iPads have the crap card based multitasking. Not split screen. My iPad mini can browse GAF, Twitter, and play video at the same time. This functionality would be fantastic on a large iPhone, but will never happen if current Plus owners continue not giving a shit about landscape apps.

What's a good one handed keyboard for the 6+? Is there one that shoves the keys into the left or right side so you can actually reach them with one hand?
The only multitasking feature I want to see on the plus is the picture in picture mode. That shits insane.

None of those things are worth the sacrifice of comfortable one handed use. Buy an iPad and enjoy those things on it 10 times as much... At the same time.

I do understand where you're coming from, and we know the ergonomics/ size of bezels needs work. Nothing to get mad at though, just a choice you have to make between the tradeoffs. Still the screen on the Plus is a joy to view and use and ipads aren't really the same experience.

Owari

I do understand where you're coming from, and we know the ergonomics/ size of bezels needs work. Nothing to get mad at though, just a choice you have to make between the tradeoffs. Still the screen on the Plus is a joy to view and use and ipads aren't really quite the same experience.
What makes the 6+ screen more of a "joy to view" over the 6?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not split screen. My iPad mini can browse GAF, Twitter, and play video at the same time. This functionality would be fantastic on a large iPhone

I mean, having the option wouldn't be bad, but I don't think I would ever want to do this on my iPhone Plus. Just my opinion, of course.

What makes the 6+ screen more of a "joy to view" over the 6?

Much higher pixel density, bigger canvas. That's why I bought it.

Top Bottom