• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Sarye

It's not that strange. People should vote with their wallets. The 6+ is a gimped device. There is a version of the 6+ with Sapphire Crystal, 3GB RAM, A9 and multitasking sitting on a desk in Cupertino, they didn't ship that one because too many people are content with kind of a lousy product.

People are. And they voted that they like the plus. Sorry you don't agree.

Do you have a 6+? Open the messages app in landscape. Great. Now see the contacts list on the left? That's Twitter. The messages on the right? NeoGAF. It's literally an iPhone 5 width app next to an iPhone 6 width app. Not hard to do, wouldn't be an unenjoyable experience at all.

There is no reason this cannot be accomplished besides "Why would we do that, if they're buying the 6+ already"

I'm not saying that multitasking isn't cool and useless. I think what you are proposing sounds great. It just seems like you're so angry that people are okay with the plus version without multitasking. Calm Down. People like and want different things. Apple has never been about releasing the latest and greatest tech on the phone. Heck, I remember the hoopla about the iPhone 4S not supporting LTE.

There are many things I think the iPhone should have. I think the iPhone 6 should have OIS. I think the iPhone should be slightly thicker to fit a larger battery and also have wireless charging.

If you don't like the phone.. don't buy it.

TxdoHawk

Do you have a 6+? Open the messages app in landscape.

I do, and it's already cramped in that view.

PvFSQX7.png

As it is there, the left pane couldn't fit 140 character Twitter messages without some serious tweaking or size reduction. The right pane could maybe squeeze a small browser window but it wouldn't be pleasant.

Pop the keyboard and it looks even more comical:

It's just not workable, IMO. Okay well, it's maybe workable if you stick to a dozen apps that jive with that kind of screen real estate and/or if you can tolerate a grody UI experience from everything being shoved in so tiny, but you and I both know that isn't the kind of bar Apple aspires to.

Owari

People are. And they voted that they like the plus. Sorry you don't agree.
It's just because they don't know how great multitasking truly is.

I'm not saying that multitasking isn't cool and useless. I think what you are proposing sounds great. It just seems like you're so angry that people are okay with the plus version without multitasking. Calm Down. People like and want different things. Apple has never been about releasing the latest and greatest tech on the phone. Heck, I remember the hoopla about the iPhone 4S not supporting LTE.

There are many things I think the iPhone should have. I think the iPhone 6 should have OIS. I think the iPhone should be slightly thicker to fit a larger battery and also have wireless charging.

If you don't like the phone.. don't buy it.

It's not really latest and greatest in tech.. Android has been doing it (poorly) for several years now. I do like the concept of the phone, but the execution is terrible. They literally said "just make the iPhone 6 OS bigger" and left it at that, we didn't even get a damn MUSIC or PHONE app in landscape on iOS 9. Music and Phone! The most important apps!

Apple isn't going to make it happen unless people vote with their wallets.

Ninja Dom

I'll make this easier for you guys: save this image and open it on the 6+

There is no reason the 6S+ doesn't have this feature, but keep being mad.

You've missed a perfectly good reason given by the poster above.

Because a lot of people who bought a 6+ bought it so they could see everything NICE & BIG!! They don't want to go back to having to squint their eyes looking at the text on two apps side by side. My pals with 6+ still enlarged the iOS text size in Settings.

Then you also don't care about proper split screen multitasking eventually making it to the iPhone, which would be the best use of the humongous screen.

I have big hands and the smaller iPhone is uncomfortable to use for me. Your crusade against the bigger form is one of the strangest things I've seen on this website in a while. I get people arguing over which console is better, or even Star Wars vs Star Trek, but phone size? What a weird thing to pick a battle over. I've had a Note 3 for a couple years and I never use it in landscape mode unless i'm watching video so I don't get the big deal about lack of landscape apps. A large phone is much, much more comfortable for me to use so i'm going to go with a large one over a smaller one, simple.

Owari

You've missed a perfectly good reason given by the poster above.

Because a lot of people who bought a 6+ bought it so they could see everything NICE & BIG!! They don't want to go back to having to squint their eyes looking at the text on two apps side by side. My pals with 6+ still enlarged the iOS text size in Settings.
Okay but not everyone is a 60 year old man. What features do those of us with fantastic vision get? Not shit.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

As it is there, the left pane couldn't fit 140 character Twitter messages without some serious tweaking or size reduction. The right pane could maybe squeeze a small browser window but it wouldn't be pleasant.

It's just not workable, IMO. Okay well, it's maybe workable if you stick to a dozen apps that jive with that kind of screen real estate and/or if you can tolerate a grody UI experience from everything being shoved in so tiny, but you and I both know that isn't the kind of bar Apple aspires to.

But his pride is hurt when people don't think multi-window on a 5.5" iOS device is workable. I feel another fact coming our way.

Owari

I have big hands and the smaller iPhone is uncomfortable to use for me. Your crusade against the bigger form is one of the strangest things I've seen on this website in a while. I get people arguing over which console is better, or even Star Wars vs Star Trek, but phone size? What a weird thing to pick a battle over. I've had a Note 3 for a couple years and I never use it in landscape mode unless i'm watching video so I don't get the big deal about lack of landscape apps. A large phone is much, much more comfortable for me to use.

That's really great for you, but I personally preferred the size of the original iPhone, we don't have an option anymore though because Apple made two big phones instead of 2 big ones and an updated small one. We got left in the dirt again and it blows.

Owari

I already posted a screenshot of how it would work, perfectly.

Mortemis

Banned
I got a tracking # from t-mobile a few days ago but it still says they've only made the shipping label. I shouldn't worry too much right? Hopefully. Also my sister's rose gold plus hasn't had a tracking # made, and while t-mobile's order status still says expected to ship on the 24th, on my t-mobile it says "kept on hold".

Maybe they overestimated how my rose gold phones they were going to get?

Meicyn

Gold Member
That's really great for you, but I personally preferred the size of the original iPhone, we don't have an option anymore though because Apple made two big phones instead of 2 big ones and an updated small one. We got left in the dirt again and it blows.
Why do you prefer the original size iPhone over the current options?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll make this easier for you guys: save this image and open it on the 6+

There is no reason the 6S+ doesn't have this feature, but keep being mad.

I'm certainly not against having the option, but just like the "pin a screen" feature of the Xbox One, there is probably not a single situation in which I would want to use it.

Great if you do, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'm on my phone and feel the need or even desire to have both GAF and Twitter (or just about any other app combination) open simultaneously in tiny windows.

It's just because they don't know how great multitasking truly is.

Split screen apps is not a great multitasking solution for smartphones. The screen size, even on the plus, is just too small. Obviously this is subjective, but I would never want to do this.

Then again, my phone is not my primary computing device. I generally have access to a laptop or desktop, too at any given time. Being able to have two compromised experiences simultaneously is not a feature I care to experience on my phone. Obviously, an option would be fine for people like who you seem to value that, but I have zero interest in it.

Sure, but you're talking about two different topics. There's a difference between complaining that there's no smaller phone model this gen, and actively trying to dissuade people from buying a larger model (which is what you are doing.) What's your motive? What do you gain from someone going with the regular 6s over the 6s+?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Ah, the truth comes out.
This person is just butthurt laying next to his steve-jobs single thumb operation shrine and trying to rally us all to stop buying devices until Apple regresses the design.

TxdoHawk

I already posted a screenshot of how it would work, perfectly.

"Perfectly" is maybe a bit much. You posted a screenshot of how I can view a post and a half on mobile-optimized Neogaf + 2-3 Twitter posts depending on length. That is about as ideal as it gets for layout, and it still seems too cramped to be worth it.

When you start snapping in apps that aren't as ruthlessly efficient in their use of space + sites that aren't mobile-optimized, it's going to be even worse.

Serick

Married Member
Sure, but you're talking about two different topics. There's a difference between complaining that there's no smaller phone model this gen, and actively trying to dissuade people from buying a larger model (which is what you are doing.) What's your motive? What do you gain from someone going with the regular 6s over the 6s+?

Justification of his own purchase of what he really believes (fears?) to be the inferior product.

Or...

To troll.

There really is nothing else to gain here.

Owari

Why do you prefer the original size iPhone over the current options?
I like having options. The smaller iPhone was much easier to hold and navigate with one hand, and fit in EVERY pocket. I would be okay with an iPhone 4 sized device that was all screen, no bezel.. 1080p. Technology was at it's best when it was nano'd. Probably why I love the watch so much.

I don't know how anyone could even reasonably pitch the iPad Mini as an iPhone Plus replacement. Like my mind is still trying to figure that out

Sarye

do you have any figures or stats to corroborate that?
I don't really care enough to back this up properly but the fact that there was a HUGE demand for the plus when it first came out and the fact that out of all the phablets out there, the iphone 6 plus accounted for 44%

Please note that I was replying to a poster who is claiming that people want multitasking and that people should NOT buy an iphone 6s plus because of it lacking and that no one is going from a 6plus to 6Splus. From this very thread this is obviously not true.

burgerdog

Tracking # says my phone left incheon Korea at 12am on the 24th. Do they fly these things overnight to have them delivered by Friday?

Owari

If more people buy a 6S, maybe Apple will innovate the + lineup a little instead of "big iPhone lol"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I like having options. The smaller iPhone was much easier to hold and navigate with one hand, and fit in EVERY pocket. I would be okay with an iPhone 4 sized device that was all screen, no bezel.. 1080p. Technology was at it's best when it was nano'd. Probably why I love the watch so much.

I don't think you have ever tried a bezel-less technology before.
I have experienced this in an engineering lab and trust me there are huge issues.

The human hand just isn't so compatible. It causes crazy amounts of registered screen touches when people try to handle the device. Typing or controlling anything ends up being super cumbersome. One way around that is to require a stylus or somebody to attach a unique material to their fingertip; but who wants to do that?

It's a good dream and we may get there eventually, but right now a bezel-less touchscreen smartphone isn't something feasible with current tech.

Owari

I don't know how anyone could even reasonably pitch the iPad Mini as an iPhone Plus replacement. Like my mind is still trying to figure that out
Well 50% of the population is female, and the 6+ doesn't fit in their pockets, so if they have to carry something it might as well actually be functional instead of "a big ass iPhone lol"

Meicyn

Gold Member
So next question: why do you even care about the plus when the form factor clearly doesn't meet your needs?

Owari

But the iPad Mini isn't a phone. It's a nonstarter.
It has LTE and can be used as a phone replacement. I did it for a year back when they first released.

So next question: why do you even care about the plus when the form factor clearly doesn't meet your needs?
Oh, I'm okay with a larger phone. I just prefer a smaller one. If it's larger, it needs to actually do SOMETHING the smaller one can't do, otherwise what's the point?

Serick

Married Member
I think it's funny that people think any iPhone is gender-exclusive, be it rose gold, or too big/small. What kind of backwards ass logic is that? That being said, you're right. The 6+ doesn't fit in a girl's pocket, which sucks. Might as well buy an iPad mini if you have to carry something in your purse. At least that has multitasking.

Well 50% of the population is female, and the 6+ doesn't fit in their pockets, so if they have to carry something it might as well actually be functional instead of "a big ass iPhone lol"

We've come full circle now.

Also, the plus fits in the pocket of both females I know who own one. Anecdotes are fun.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't really care enough to back this up properly but the fact that there was a HUGE demand for the plus when it first came out and the fact that out of all the phablets out there, the iphone 6 plus accounted for 44%

Please note that I was replying to a poster who is claiming that people want multitasking and that people should NOT buy an iphone 6s plus because of it lacking and that no one is going from a 6plus to 6Splus. From this very thread this is obviously not true.

oh ok, not much evidence there. I think lots of people would like multitasking but agree it's obviously not a factor in the purchase for most people. I'm actually leaning towards the 6s+ primarily for UI reasons (landscape apps, the copy/paste keyboard) so it's interesting to me

I don't think you have ever tried a bezel-less technology before.
I have experienced this in an engineering lab and trust me there are huge issues.

The human hand just isn't so compatible. It causes crazy amounts of registered screen touches when people try to handle the device. Typing or controlling anything ends up being super cumbersome. One way around that is to require a stylus or somebody to attach a unique material to their fingertip; but who wants to do that?

It's a good dream and we may get there eventually, but right now a bezel-less touchscreen smartphone isn't something feasible with current tech.

Apple has software to detect unintended touches around the screens bezel. not perfect but useful

If more people buy a 6S, maybe Apple will innovate the + lineup a little instead of "big iPhone lol"

So you want me to not buy a phone that's better for me in every way, with the hope that it will randomly cause the next iPhone to be innovative in some way? The iPhone + size is for people who literally want a "big iphone lol". If that's not what you want then don't buy it, but arguing against those who do is asinine. You're not making people reconsider their purchase, you're just being a jerk.

Serick

Married Member
I'd be happy with 5.5+multitasking and 4" options

I'd be willing to bet that's what the 7 line will look like. Maybe I'm just impatient.

So you're going to buy and use both? Or does the mere existance of a 5.5" without multitasking sour your non-plus that much?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be happy with 5.5+multitasking and 4" options

I'd be willing to bet that's what the 7 line will look like. Maybe I'm just impatient.

Seems pretty unlikely that they would go back to a smaller size. Turns out that most people really love the bigger sizes offered with the 6.

I am kind of surprised they didn't announce a 6C this time around, though, and keep the 5 form factor.

Top Bottom