• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Owari

So you want me to not buy a phone that's better for me in every way, with the hope that it will randomly cause the next iPhone to be innovative in some way? The iPhone + size is for people who literally want a "big iphone lol". If that's not what you want then don't buy it, but arguing against those who do is asinine. You're not making people reconsider their purchase, you're just being a jerk.
I'd be very surprised if I didn't inform at least 10 people about the lack of landscape and multitasking iPad-esque options. Apple marketing is extremely misleading.

Sarye

oh ok, not much evidence there. I think lots of people would like multitasking but agree it's obviously not a factor in the purchase for most people. I'm actually leaning towards the 6s+ primarily for UI reasons (landscape apps, the copy/paste keyboard) so it's interesting to me
I personally think the 6S Plus is too large but hey, this is why we have choices. This thread has become insufferable.

edit: not cause of you. don't want any misunderstandings

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be very surprised if I didn't inform at least 10 people about the lack of landscape and multitasking iPad-esque options. Apple marketing is extremely misleading.

From where are you getting this impression? I follow these announcements pretty closely and I can't recall Apple ever over-promising about its landscape features with the Plus. It's always been framed as a bit of a "bonus" or nice-to-have thing, but not a main selling point.

Well I'm convinced. I thought I loved my 6 Plus and that form factor, but I just figured out that I'm wrong. I guess when I get my 6S Plus I'll just keep on hating it for a year, then get the 7 Plus after that, on and on into the future where I just hate my own products that I thought I loved.

It's because no one gives a shit. I'm surprised that hasn't sunk in. We didn't buy a phone for those features, we bought it because we wanted a bigger screen. And it has that

Meicyn

Gold Member
Oh, I'm okay with a larger phone. I just prefer a smaller one. If it's larger, it needs to actually do SOMETHING the smaller one can't do, otherwise what's the point?
Well, here's the thing. For the grand majority of us, we want the larger phone for easier inputs, increased readability, and better battery life. You want full multitasking support like with the ipad, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The problem is that you've spent a fair bit of time dictating to the rest of us that we should want full multitasking too. Well, I don't. If it's there as an option, great. But I know I wouldn't use it. My phone has rotation lock on so I keep it in portrait at all times. The only time landscape is utilized is through Youtube, and I don't even have to remove rotation lock for fullscreen videos.

Cliffs: stop telling us to want multitasking too.

Owari

Seems pretty unlikely that they would go back to a smaller size. Turns out that most people really love the bigger sizes offered with the 6.

I am kind of surprised they didn't announce a 6C this time around, though, and keep the 5 form factor.
I was pretty disappointed.

So you're going to buy and use both? Or does the mere existance of a 5.5" without multitasking sour your non-plus that much?
I'd probably switch between small and large every year.

oh ok, not much evidence there. I think lots of people would like multitasking but agree it's obviously not a factor in the purchase for most people. I'm actually leaning towards the 6s+ primarily for UI reasons (landscape apps, the copy/paste keyboard) so it's interesting to me
Only problem with that is, there are no landscape apps man. None. And the copy/paste keyboard is extremely annoying. (Should have a split keyboard option or the copy paste should be in the middle) basically it's just not iPad enough. And it's that inconsistency that makes the 6+ a bad iPhone.

Nah, but they think they did!

iPhone 6+ can't fit in a woman's pocket: fact
People thinking Rose Gold is only for women: opinion

Next please

No, not that. The fact that you referred to female users in your point, "should have functional devices that aren't big ass iPhones lol". What happened to non-gender exclusivity?
You also mentioned you don't understand why people say the phones are too big/too small... but that's what you've been saying.

Why is this a fact again?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Ether. That troll needs to go away.

Not necessarily defending him, but I fail to see how we "came full circle" with that combination of posts. He already said that he thinks the 6+ doesn't fit in a girl's pocket in the first post... not sure why the second was being used as a "gotcha." I don't think he implied that "not fitting in a girl's pocket" means it's a gender-exclusive phone. Being too big to fit in a typical pocket does not disqualify it from being used by that gender.

Serick

Married Member
No, not that. The fact that you referred to female users in your point, "should have functional devices that aren't big ass iPhones lol". What happened to non-gender exclusivity?
You also mentioned you don't understand why people say the phones are too big/too small... but that's what you've been saying.

See, he did get it!

S¡mon

Banned
Chiming in here on the 6S Plus vs the regular 6S discussion...

I've owned the 6 Plus for nearly twelve months. Two weeks ago I sold it, so I could upgrade to the 6S or 6S Plus. For now, I'm using an iPhone 4S.
I am still undecided whether to go for the 4.7" iPhone 6S or the 5.5" iPhone 6S Plus.

There are, in my opinion, two great reasons to get the Plus:
- Battery life
- Larger display with higher pixel density

That said, you shouldn't factor in the following two when making your choice between the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones:
- Landscape mode
- Optical Image Stabilization

The negative:
- The 5.5" model is a large device!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To explain myself in more detail:

Battery life is absolutely amazing. I'm on an iPhone 4S now and battery life is absolutely terrible. Yes, it's a few years old but the 4.7" iPhone's battery isn't that much better. The 6 Plus is the first iPhone that, in my opinion, truly has all-day battery life. I've been using iPhones since the 3GS in 2009 and not a single iPhone has ever come close to what the 6 Plus achieved.

Secondly, the display is terrific. Don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with the 326 ppi display used on the 4.7" iPhone - it's still sharp. But now that I've been using the iPhone 4S, with a 326 ppi, for two weeks... well, I really notice the difference. I'm incredibly used to the higher pixel density of the 6 Plus display... the 326 ppi 4S display just looks a bit pixelated too be honest.

Now for the stuff that you shouldn't factor in when deciding between the 6S and 6S Plus. Landscape mode is absolutely useless. Most apps open in portrait by default, even when you're holding your phone in landscape mode. Additionally, nearly all apps that do support landscape mode are not optimized for the 6 Plus display, unlike Mail and Messages which are one of the few apps that are optimized. In most third-party apps, you'll get the exact same landscape experience on the older iPhones.

Optical Image Stabilization is nice to have, but is not important. Ask yourself: how often and how many pictures do you take in low-light situations without the flash? In my experience, most people take pictures with the flashlight turned on in a low-light situation. But, above all, most pictures are taken when there is enough light - and in that case, OIS doesn't do anything.

Now let's talk about the huge negative thing here. It's a large device. It's really large. Competitors create phones with 6 inch displays with the dimensions of the iPhone 6(S) Plus. I bet next year's iPhone will have reduced bezels and that's the moment when the Plus model becomes more portable. But right now... it's large. It's not a device you take with you to the gym. And it might cause some uncomfort when it's in your pocket while you are cycling, or even when sitting down.
Also, if you are person that uses a cases on their phone, remember it's going to be even bigger. Its physical size is the big disadvantage of the 6 Plus and 6S Plus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're jumping to conclusions. Not fitting in a typical girl's pocket does not mean that the device can't be used by them, nor did he imply that in his posts.

Owari

You misunderstood me. First off, someone said I had girly hands or something so I couldn't use the +, which is the exact reason almost every woman I've ever met will never buy a +. Unless theyre wearing like goth pants or something it's just not going to fit in their pockets. That being said, a ton of women do buy 6+ iPhones. But since it doesn't fit in their pocket, they have to carry it in a purse that they otherwise wouldn't have to carry. And if there carrying a purse, they might as well get an iPad mini, because it's relatively close in size, and muuuuuch more capable of a device.

Serick

Married Member
You misunderstood me. First off, someone said I had girly hands or something so I couldn't use the +, which is the exact reason almost every woman I've ever met will never buy a +. Unless theyre wearing like goth pants or something it's just not going to fit in their pockets. That being said, a ton of women do buy 6+ iPhones. But since it doesn't fit in their pocket, they have to carry it in a purse that they otherwise wouldn't have to carry. And if there carrying a purse, they might as well get an iPad mini, because it's relatively close in size, and muuuuuch more capable of a device.

Well, two of us misunderstood you because you left too much open to interpretation.

I'll take back my full circle and replace it with a "I disagree with you on all counts.". Especially the bolded.

tanooki27

I dunno bro I compared my 6+ to a 6 at bestbuy and on neogaf I was only seeing like an additional half a post. I'd rather carry the smaller phone even though I can Use the 6+ with one hand.

....tell me you're teasing. it's not about how much you can see, but how clearly you can see it. the 6+ is 1080p, and makes viewing the web and other content more enjoyable.

Newline

S¡mon;179751941 said:
Its physical size is the big disadvantage of the 6 Plus and 6S Plus.
Unless you like larger devices... in which case it's a massive advantage. I've used the note 3 for two years and wouldn't dream of downsizing again.
....tell me you're teasing. it's not about how much you can see, but how clearly you can see it. the 6+ is 1080p, and makes viewing the web and other content more enjoyable.
Yep whenever you hear reviewers talking about the increased display real estate, they all mention media consumption rather than the amount of webcontent they can fit on the screen at once.

Meicyn

Gold Member
S¡mon;179751941 said:
Optical Image Stabilization is nice to have, but is not important. Ask yourself: how often and how many pictures do you take in low-light situations without the flash[/b]? In my experience, most people take pictures with the flashlight turned on in a low-light situation. But, above all, most pictures are taken when there is enough light - and in that case, OIS doesn't do anything.

OIS compensates for rapid movements and shaking of the device. Low light performance is a separate thing.

In fact, OIS is even more beneficial in the 6S+. Now, recorded video takes advantage of it instead of just photos like in the 6+. Most cellphone videos are annoying to watch because humans are naturally terrible at keeping their hands and arms still while recording. 6S+ videos should be easier on the eyes.

You're jumping to conclusions. Not fitting in a typical girl's pocket does not mean that the device can't be used by them, nor did he imply that in his posts.

Well, I wasn't trying to say he thinks they can't be used by women, I meant why did he leave men out of his thinking that we should buy ipad minis instead of Iphone pluses.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, I respect his preferences. I just wish we could get along and consider other opinions, instead of saying the same thing over and over to bother people.

Owari

Everyone who doesn't get the same size phone as me is an idiot.
That's not what I'm saying at all and I apologize if I came off this way. I just feel like people should be more upset that the increased screen real estate isn't properly utilized. At least with landscape apps.. Like I said earlier in the thread there isn't even a landscape app for Music or Phone, the two most important iPhone apps!
S¡mon;179751941 said:
Chiming in here on the 6S Plus vs the regular 6S discussion...

I've owned the 6 Plus for nearly twelve months. Two weeks ago I sold it, so I could upgrade to the 6S or 6S Plus. For now, I'm using an iPhone 4S.
I am still undecided whether to go for the 4.7" iPhone 6S or the 5.5" iPhone 6S Plus.

There are, in my opinion, two great reasons to get the Plus:
- Battery life
- Larger display with higher pixel density

That said, you shouldn't factor in the following two when making your choice between the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones:
- Landscape mode
- Optical Image Stabilization

The negative:
- The 5.5" model is a large device!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To explain myself in more detail:

Battery life is absolutely amazing. I'm on an iPhone 4S now and battery life is absolutely terrible. Yes, it's a few years old but the 4.7" iPhone's battery isn't that much better. The 6 Plus is the first iPhone that, in my opinion, truly has all-day battery life. I've been using iPhones since the 3GS in 2009 and not a single iPhone has ever come close to what the 6 Plus achieved.

Secondly, the display is terrific. Don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with the 326 ppi display used on the 4.7" iPhone - it's still sharp. But now that I've been using the iPhone 4S, with a 326 ppi, for two weeks... well, I really notice the difference. I'm incredibly used to the higher pixel density of the 6 Plus display... the 326 ppi 4S display just looks a bit pixelated too be honest.

Now for the stuff that you shouldn't factor in when deciding between the 6S and 6S Plus. Landscape mode is absolutely useless. Most apps open in portrait by default, even when you're holding your phone in landscape mode. Additionally, nearly all apps that do support landscape mode are not optimized for the 6 Plus display, unlike Mail and Messages which are one of the few apps that are optimized. In most third-party apps, you'll get the exact same landscape experience on the older iPhones.

Optical Image Stabilization is nice to have, but is not important. Ask yourself: how often and how many pictures do you take in low-light situations without the flash? In my experience, most people take pictures with the flashlight turned on in a low-light situation. But, above all, most pictures are taken when there is enough light - and in that case, OIS doesn't do anything.

Now let's talk about the huge negative thing here. It's a large device. It's really large. Competitors create phones with 6 inch displays with the dimensions of the iPhone 6(S) Plus. I bet next year's iPhone will have reduced bezels and that's the moment when the Plus model becomes more portable. But right now... it's large. It's not a device you take with you to the gym. And it might cause some uncomfort when it's in your pocket while you are cycling, or even when sitting down.
Also, if you are person that uses a cases on their phone, remember it's going to be even bigger. Its physical size is the big disadvantage of the 6 Plus and 6S Plus.
Great and informative post. I actually didn't know the 6S rocked the same PPI as the 4S.. It's not a deal breaker for me.. But it is interesting.

But don't you think if there were more robust landscape apps and a stricter leash on developers to support the + resolution with paned apps etc, that would make the humongous size more worth it? I feel like the upgrades from the 6+ to 6S+ are just not worth it and this can be fixed fairly easy in software/app updates ... It's kind of ridiculous how little landscape support there is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I wasn't trying to say he thinks they can't be used by women, I meant why did he leave men out of his thinking that we should buy ipad minis instead of Iphone pluses.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, I respect his preferences. I just wish we can get along and consider other opinions.

His assumption is that it specifically won't fit in women's pockets. I disagree that this is an inarguable fact, but that's his assumption. In that scenario, where you can't fit the phone in your pocket and have to carry it or put it in a bag, then he argues that you would be better off with an LTE-enabled iPad Mini, since it has more functionality. I disagree with this as well (although it may be true for some people), but his argument wasn't attributing any gender exclusivity to any specific device.

samn

OIS compensates for rapid movements and shaking of the device. Low light performance is a separate thing.

Actually, it's not quite separate. By allowing the lens to remain in a fixed orientation, the exposure time can increase, allowing more light in without it becoming a blurry mess.

Owari

Anyway, doesn't really matter, I respect his preferences. I just wish we could get along and consider other opinions, instead of saying the same thing over and over to bother people.
Um, I do think both genders should buy iPad minis instead of pluses and I said so earlier in the thread.. But most men are not used to carrying a bag around everywhere so the full on replacement may not be as viable to them. Landscape support would be a nice perk in either case.

(I'm male and own a 38mm Watch, carry a bag everywhere, and have a rose gold 6S en route, and think all this gender specific nonsense is far more ridiculous than what I'm complaining about with the 6+) all I want is some damn landscape support damn it. :(

S¡mon

Banned
Unless you like larger devices... in which case it's a massive advantage. I've used the note 3 for two years and wouldn't dream of downsizing again.

Of course, the larger display is amazing. But I'm talking about its physical size.

If we compare the Note 5 to the 6S Plus, you'll find that:

- The Note 5 is 5 mm shorter
- The Note 5 is 2 mm less wide
- The Note 5 is 0.3 mm thicker, though
- The Note 5 has a bigger display

Those few mm make the phone more pocketable already. The 6 Plus is a lot of bezel and could have been quite a bit smaller.

Or look at the LG G4 that's got a 5.5" display. It's nearly 10 mm less wide, which is a huge difference. It's also a few mm shorter. If you hold the LG G4 in your hand, you'll definitely find it more pocketable than the 6S Plus.

I don't want this thread to be about comparing competing phones' specs. I prefer iOS, but it is clear that Apple could - and honestly should - have done more when it comes to slimming down the 6 Plus.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Actually, it's not quite separate. By allowing the lens to remain in a fixed orientation, the exposure time can increase, allowing more light in without it becoming a blurry mess.
Ha! I learned something today. Thanks!

subrock

S¡mon;179751941 said:
Chiming in here on the 6S Plus vs the regular 6S discussion......

This sums it up for me pretty nicely too. Landscape mode annoys me more than anything. I wish I could disable it. Battery is the major deciding factor for me, and I'm getting a 6s+ because I'm used to it now.

Owari

S¡mon;179753855 said:
Of course, the larger display is amazing. But I'm talking about its physical size.

If we compare the Note 5 to the 6S Plus, you'll find that:

- The Note 5 is 5 mm shorter
- The Note 5 is 2 mm less wide
- The Note 5 is 0.3 mm thicker, though
- The Note 5 has a bigger display

Those few mm make the phone more pocketable already. The 6 Plus is a lot of bezel and could have been quite a bit smaller.

Or look at the LG G4 that's got a 5.5" display. It's nearly 10 mm less wide, which is a huge difference. It's also a few mm shorter. If you hold the LG G4 in your hand, you'll definitely find it more pocketable than the 6S Plus.

I prefer iOS, but it is clear that Apple could - and honestly should - have done more when it comes to slimming down the 6 Plus.
Could have done more? They made it even bigger!

SuperPac

Nah, but they think they did!

People thinking Rose Gold is only for women: opinion

Next please

Really would be nice if you would stop shitting up this thread. You have stated your opinion, and many disagree. Thank you but it's enough already.

I bought a 6s Plus for the OIS, the better battery, the larger screen for single-app, single-webpage use and games. I had a 6 previously. Different strokes for different folks.

S¡mon

Banned
That's not what I'm saying at all and I apologize if I came off this way. I just feel like people should be more upset that the increased screen real estate isn't properly utilized. At least with landscape apps.. Like I said earlier in the thread there isn't even a landscape app for Music or Phone, the two most important iPhone apps!

Great and informative post. I actually didn't know the 6S rocked the same PPI as the 4S.. It's not a deal breaker for me.. But it is interesting.
Obviously, there are many improvements. Contrast on the iPhone 6S is much higher than on the 4S. The colours are more accurate, it's better visible in sun light, it's got a wider viewing angle, etc. - but in terms of pure sharpness, they're equal.

But don't you think if there were more robust landscape apps and a stricter leash on developers to support the + resolution with paned apps etc, that would make the humongous size more worth it? I feel like the upgrades from the 6+ to 6S+ are just not worth it and this can be fixed fairly easy in software/app updates ... It's kind of ridiculous how little landscape support there is.
Yes, but forcing developers to implement stuff that they don't want... well, it's bad for the quality of an app and bad for morale. You don't want that, either.
Also, in my opinion, the 6 Plus was underpowered - it was bad at multitasking and had the occasional stutter up.

Except they don't have a single picture on their 6+ or 6s+ pages showing landscape support and don't mention it either.

Shenmue

Banned
Really would be nice if you would stop shitting up this thread. You have stated your opinion, and many disagree. Thank you but it's enough already.

I bought a 6s Plus for the OIS, the better battery, the larger screen for single-app, single-webpage use and games. I had a 6 previously. Different strokes for different folks.

No. You need to outrage louder.

How else will we get that 3gb RAM, sapphire screen phone off that smug Apple exec's desk and into the Chinese factories damn it?!

S¡mon

Banned

In fact, OIS is even more beneficial in the 6S+. Now, recorded video takes advantage of it instead of just photos like in the 6+. Most cellphone videos are annoying to watch because humans are naturally terrible at keeping their hands and arms still while recording. 6S+ videos should be easier on the eyes.

Of course, the camera will be slightly better on the 6S+. That said, it's connected mostly to low-light, like samn explains:

In situations with enough or a lot of light, exposure time is low which results in OIS having nearly no effect.

Sigh. And I still can't check the order status online.

I'm not going to upgrade through the business center again. This has been a massive pain. I don't know when I'm getting the other phones, I don't have tracking numbers, and I don't even really know how many shipments I'm going to get.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Landscape mode annoys me more than anything. I wish I could disable it.
You can!

PatT2hT.jpg

That button on the top right of the control center is your ticket.

samn

S¡mon;179754749 said:
Of course, the camera will be slightly better on the 6S+. That said, it's connected mostly to low-light, like samn explains:

In situations with enough or a lot of light, exposure time is low which results in OIS having nearly no effect.

Keep in mind the new OIS video stabilisation is still very useful in good light, and is apparently a fantastic feature. It's a bummer going for the 6s and missing out on it, as any video taken while moving will be jerky, compared to the 6s+ steadicam like effect.

No, it's related in fact to low-light

Camera exposure is related to aperture (which can't change on an iPhone), ISO (how grainy the picture is), and shutter speed.

OIS allows you to use slower shutter speeds, which means the ISO can be lowered and the amount of grain reduced.

In good light the shutter speed is fast enough and OIS will have less of an effect.

For video it will be much better as it will be on all the time

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can!

That button on the top right of the control center is your ticket.

Unfortunately, that also disables it in the apps that you actually want to use landscape, like Photos and YouTube.

The best solution would be for them to give us granular control in each app's settings menu. Same for when it come to language options, but that's another topic.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Unfortunately, that also disables it in the apps that you actually want to use landscape, like Photos and YouTube.

The best solution would be for them to give us granular control in each app's settings menu. Same for when it come to language options, but that's another topic.
Yeah, it's an issue in Photos but not in Youtube. You can fullscreen Youtube videos just like you do on desktop by clicking the icon on the bottom right corner in the app. The Netflix app plays it back in landscape automatically, regardless of your settings (which is great).

As you say though, it'd be nice to have choice on a per-app basis.

Top Bottom