• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I use my camera the most when on vacation, so I'm either outside or in museums where I can't use flash.

Now that I think of it, I can't recall the last photo I took with flash. If OIS and the 6s+ camera helps me, then great.

Best Buy still has some phones available for in store pick up for Friday. So tempted to get a 6s+ (I currently have a 6+), but I'd be paying for the device in full and Best Buy insists charging $50 more than Apple.

VoxPop

Haven't seen much discussion on this, but are you guys getting the regular size or plus? Which is better?

Personal preference.

The 6S Plus has a better battery, OIS, bigger higher resolution screen for $100 more but the size may put off some people.

The 6 has the advantage of one handed use and costs $100 less.

I'd say the Plus is the better buy at this point in time.

Newline

No, it's related in fact to low-light

Camera exposure is related to aperture (which can't change on an iPhone), ISO (how grainy the picture is), and shutter speed.

OIS allows you to use slower shutter speeds, which means the ISO can be lowered and the amount of grain reduced.

In good light the shutter speed is fast enough and OIS will have less of an effect.

For video it will be much better as it will be on all the time
You don't seem to fully understand what OIS can do for you when shooting both still shots and videos. Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvBUolFq3Y. If you really want to be lazy, skip to 1 minute 30.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Booo the UPS 'track by reference' trick doesn't work for me, maybe because I paid in full for an unlocked off contract device.

Anyone in the Bay Area actually received any sort of shipping information?

The second it leaves china you should receive some form of tracking. I don't like how they are handling the shipping situation.

Incorrect. Worked for me and i have straighttalk, no contract, buying unlocked.

I also have a myups account but I don't think that affects anything.

SuperPac

Haven't seen much discussion on this, but are you guys getting the regular size or plus? Which is better?

This was a hot button issue a few pages back!

I am getting the Plus. I have had the 6 for a year and think I'm ready to upgrade to the larger size. The camera, battery, and screen upgrades are the main reason. Last year we got a Plus at work and I was pretty envious of the screen size at the time especially in relation to games.

"Better" is subjective in this case. For some, the OIS in the camera will be a tipping point. Both are great phones, it's just a matter of which size and whether the camera/battery of the Plus are appealing to you.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Are you a hypocrite? A Nihilist? Maybe you love Apple regardless of the shitshow they shovel you?

If you answer yes to any of those, you'll be better off with the Plus.

If you like an objectively better experience and aren't really a dope, you'll go with the Regular.

Owari

6S is more responsive, games run over 2x better than on 6S+, true onehanded support, and isn't the size of a Sega Gamegear.

Basically, if you had a 6+ Or any other phone last year, go with the 6S. If you had a 6 last year, go with the 6S+ Seems to be the consensus of this thread.

This was a hot button issue a few pages back!

I am getting the Plus. I have had the 6 for a year and think I'm ready to upgrade to the larger size. The camera, battery, and screen upgrades are the main reason. Last year we got a Plus at work and I was pretty envious of the screen size at the time especially in relation to games.

"Better" is subjective in this case. For some, the OIS in the camera will be a tipping point. Both are great phones, it's just a matter of which size and whether the camera/battery of the Plus are appealing to you.

I couldn't remember if you or Phil had a regular or plus. I look forward to your impressions on the show!

So are we in agreement that this camera will still suck ass unless you have plenty of light?

In the past year I've used the Galaxy S5, S6, Note 4, and iPhone 6 Plus. All take great pictures in light. All suck in anything near low-light conditions.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
6S is more responsive, games run over 2x better than on 6S+, true onehanded support, and isn't the size of a Sega Gamegear.

Basically, if you had a 6+ Or any other phone last year, go with the 6S. If you had a 6 last year, go with the 6S+ Seems to be the consensus of this thread.

The 6+ is a far cry from the Gamegear. There isn't really a consensus either, just you listening to only the posts that validate your ideas.
Try to speak like a normal person without exaggeration and you will find people are more receptive to your ideas.

Just read through the last few pages of this thread. :p

fire_community.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I personally think the 6S Plus is too large but hey, this is why we have choices. This thread has become insufferable.

edit: not cause of you. don't want any misunderstandings

I think Apple made the wrong call on sizes. The 4.7 is a lovely size for a smaller but not tiny phone, but the 5.5 seems too big a jump. Personally I think Sony got it right with the 4.7 & 5.2 sizes. Good screen size on the larger model but still usable with one hand and fits comfortably in pockets. The large bezels on the 6+ don't help either - maybe if they trimmed them down it'd be more usable?

But damn if the battery life and optical stabilisation aren't bloody tempting..

Red

So are we in agreement that this camera will still suck ass unless you have plenty of light?

In the past year I've used the Galaxy S5, S6, Note 4, and iPhone 6 Plus. All take great pictures in light. All suck in anything near low-light conditions.

They are all miraculous considering the sensor size.

Hatchtag

Banned
I think Apple made the wrong call on sizes. The 4.7 is a lovely size for a smaller but not tiny phone, but the 5.5 seems too big a jump. Personally I think Sony got it right with the 4.7 & 5.2 sizes. Good screen size on the larger model but still usable with one hand and fits comfortably in pockets. The large bezels on the 6+ don't help either - maybe if they trimmed them down it'd be more usable?

But damn if the battery life and optical stabilisation aren't bloody tempting..

I want a 3.5in iPhone again. The regular iPhone is too damn big.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
S¡mon;179754749 said:
Of course, the camera will be slightly better on the 6S+. That said, it's connected mostly to low-light, like samn explains:

In situations with enough or a lot of light, exposure time is low which results in OIS having nearly no effect.

'Low light' to a camera is brighter than what your eyes might consider low light. Most indoor situations without sunlight will be 'low light' for a camera sensor, requiring it to increase the ISO and therefore noise to maintain a reasonable shutter speed. Optical stabilisation can allow you to handhold at lower shutter speeds, allowing a lower ISO to be used for cleaner images.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I started with a 6 last time, but jumped to the 6 Plus after a few days. I think I prefer the form factor, but 720p just doesn't cut it, in my opinion.

Wait... what games have a 100% or more increase in performance on the 6S over the 6S Plus?

Owari

Just read jaxapollo's breakdown. That's hilarious.
What's hilarious is how many people are blindly supporting the 6+ now, when last year on GAF they were all hating on the 6+ for the same reasons that I'm saying now

I guess people are just tired of their six and want something new

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What's hilarious is how many people are blindly supporting the 6+ now, when last year on GAF they were all hating on the 6+ for the same reasons that I'm saying now

I guess people are just tired of their six and want something new

You have to be fishing for a tag at this point.
It just doesn't make sense that somebody could be this dense.

Red

It's had software video stabilisation since the 4s, but no not nearly as good as OIS will be for the 6s+.
That makes sense. My wife's 6 records about as well as my 5s. I notice they both zoom in when shooting video. Guessed it was for digital stabilization but didn't know for sure.

I don't expect much from digitally stabilized recording anyway. We're not getting warp stabilized footage out of our phones anytime soon.

That makes sense. My wife's 6 records about as well as my 5s. I notice they both zoom in when shooting video. Guessed it was for digital stabilization but didn't know for sure.

Wait, so THATS why it zooms in for video? Wow, I never knew. Do the plus phones zoom in as well?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ah, Track By Reference just worked for me. Both of my phones are there. Both are in Louisville and scheduled for delivery on 9/25. Fuck yes.

Shenmue

Banned
Nice i didn't know we could trade in any old smartphone for 5 bucks off a month with tmobile! Time to dig up my old xperia that's worth nothing now.

Top Bottom