• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

In fact, OIS is even more beneficial in the 6S+. Now, recorded video takes advantage of it instead of just photos like in the 6+.

Well the 6 plus didn't have OIS for video so it would be zoomed in too. The 6S+ will be the first with OIS for video.

Newline's correct. The 6 Plus only used OIS for photos. The 6s Plus is going to be able to use it for both photos and videos.

It's not that people don't know that OIS can be used in both still photography and videography, it's that on the original 6 Plus model they included OIS but it only worked for still photos, not videos. On this 6s Plus it now works for both still and videos.

Dear god, so much wrongness in so little time. This thread has been a clusterfudge since I first called out Mr. I-hate-the-6+! I apologize for cursing this thread!

OIS is used in the 6+ for pics and vids. Skip to 2:25 for proof:

http://youtu.be/m6z1xbY6Xwg

numble

Dear god, so much wrongness in so little time. This thread has been a clusterfudge since I first called out Mr. I-hate-the-6+! I apologize for cursing this thread!

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/cameras/
And with iPhone 6s Plus, optical image stabilization is now available for videos in addition to photos.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/
Optical image stabilization for video (iPhone 6s Plus only)

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/
Optical image stabilization for video not listed for iPhone 6 Plus.

That's a comparison of the 5s to the 6 Plus - what you're seeing is the improvement in digital image stabilization in the 6/6 Plus. You see the same results with the iPhone 6 (which doesn't include OIS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIMCk6SexY#t=11

Also note the inclusion of OIS for video in the specs page for the 6s Plus, which is not included in the specs for the 6 Plus.

From Apple's specs page for the 6/6 Plus:

Apple said:
iSight Camera

Optical image stabilization (iPhone 6 Plus only)

Video Recording

Cinematic video stabilization

And from the specs page for the 6s/6s Plus:

Apple said:
iSight Camera

Optical image stabilization (iPhone 6s Plus only)

Video Recording

Optical image stabilization for video (iPhone 6s Plus only)

Cinematic video stabilization (1080p and 720p)

dallow_bg

nods at old men

http://youtu.be/m6z1xbY6Xwg[url][/QUOTE] Nope. It's better DIS. Edit: beaten

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus both use Cinematic Video Stabilization which is a software solution to steady videos. It's an effect like Warp Stabilizer is After Effects. The 5S didn't use CVS and that's why you see that difference. It does not use OIS for video, but the 6s Plus does.

Got a notification from T Mobile saying the phones have shipped ("Overnight Overnight Delivery" is literally what it says). However, UPS seems to disagree with this claim.

lupinko

Should I try Apple financing or just go ahead and buying the phone outright with a ¥20,000 coupon? I was considering the latter until I saw the former.

And with such a big purchase I am seriously contemplating AppleCare this time. Although when I bought my iPhone 5 64GB outright I didn't buy AppleCare. Aside from the messed up sleep button or home button (I forget which it was now but I was within warranty when it happened), I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 5 and I'm really careful with it always using a strong case in addition to a screen protector and carbon fiber.

I want to go 6S 128GB but 6S+ 128GB is tempting, but it's like a ¥10,000 difference and 6S+ might be too big for my pockets (I don't always wear my cargo pants and khakis anymore lol).

Really first world problems here.

Hatchtag

Banned
Should I try Apple financing or just go ahead and buying the phone outright with a ¥20,000 coupon? I was considering the latter until I saw the former.

And with such a big purchase I am seriously contemplating AppleCare this time. Although when I bought my iPhone 5 64GB outright I didn't buy AppleCare. Aside from the messed up sleep button or home button (I forget which it was now but I was within warranty when it happened), I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 5 and I'm really careful with it always using a strong case in addition to a screen protector and carbon fiber.

I want to go 6S 128GB but 6S+ 128GB is tempting, but it's like a ¥10,000 difference and 6S+ might be too big for my pockets (I don't always wear my cargo pants and khakis anymore lol).

At this point, I honestly don't get the too big complaints. If there were still good 3.5 inch phones, I would, but the amount of space you save getting the regular just isn't that much.

DCS

Banned
S¡mon;179751941 said:
Chiming in here on the 6S Plus vs the regular 6S discussion...

I've owned the 6 Plus for nearly twelve months. Two weeks ago I sold it, so I could upgrade to the 6S or 6S Plus. For now, I'm using an iPhone 4S.
I am still undecided whether to go for the 4.7" iPhone 6S or the 5.5" iPhone 6S Plus.

There are, in my opinion, two great reasons to get the Plus:
- Battery life
- Larger display with higher pixel density

That said, you shouldn't factor in the following two when making your choice between the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones:
- Landscape mode
- Optical Image Stabilization

The negative:
- The 5.5" model is a large device!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To explain myself in more detail:

Battery life is absolutely amazing. I'm on an iPhone 4S now and battery life is absolutely terrible. Yes, it's a few years old but the 4.7" iPhone's battery isn't that much better. The 6 Plus is the first iPhone that, in my opinion, truly has all-day battery life. I've been using iPhones since the 3GS in 2009 and not a single iPhone has ever come close to what the 6 Plus achieved.

Secondly, the display is terrific. Don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with the 326 ppi display used on the 4.7" iPhone - it's still sharp. But now that I've been using the iPhone 4S, with a 326 ppi, for two weeks... well, I really notice the difference. I'm incredibly used to the higher pixel density of the 6 Plus display... the 326 ppi 4S display just looks a bit pixelated too be honest.

Now for the stuff that you shouldn't factor in when deciding between the 6S and 6S Plus. Landscape mode is absolutely useless. Most apps open in portrait by default, even when you're holding your phone in landscape mode. Additionally, nearly all apps that do support landscape mode are not optimized for the 6 Plus display, unlike Mail and Messages which are one of the few apps that are optimized. In most third-party apps, you'll get the exact same landscape experience on the older iPhones.

Optical Image Stabilization is nice to have, but is not important. Ask yourself: how often and how many pictures do you take in low-light situations without the flash? In my experience, most people take pictures with the flashlight turned on in a low-light situation. But, above all, most pictures are taken when there is enough light - and in that case, OIS doesn't do anything.

Now let's talk about the huge negative thing here. It's a large device. It's really large. Competitors create phones with 6 inch displays with the dimensions of the iPhone 6(S) Plus. I bet next year's iPhone will have reduced bezels and that's the moment when the Plus model becomes more portable. But right now... it's large. It's not a device you take with you to the gym. And it might cause some uncomfort when it's in your pocket while you are cycling, or even when sitting down.
Also, if you are person that uses a cases on their phone, remember it's going to be even bigger. Its physical size is the big disadvantage of the 6 Plus and 6S Plus.

Nice post. I've posted the below before but will post again - bare in mind I love both the 6 and the 6 Plus. I went from the 5S to the 6+ when they came out last year. The screen is amazing, it really is great having access to a huge display all of the time. The battery life is outstanding as you'd expect, mine regularly goes two days without charging under normal use. Reachability is kind of lame and doesn't work half the time, the exclusive 6+ features are pretty much bullshit - don't let them factor into your decision. The extra money you pay over the standard 6/6S is for the screen and battery, nothing else. My main issue is usability, I have huge hands and still can't reach the top corner of the screen. Wouldn't bother me so much if reachability was reliable or if it dragged notifications down with the screen, which it currently doesn't. When you're using the device with two hands or lying on the couch etc it is outstanding.

Use it one handed or when you're out and about and it becomes a pain. It is very noticeable in your pocket - IS THAT AN APPLE IPHONE SIX PLUS IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST GLAD TO SEE ME HA HA HA - and can be uncomfortable when you're sitting in a car or something but I can overlook that. The real issue is one handed use, you never realise how much you do this - on the toilet, replying to a message while walking through town, masturbating, cooking etc - it's made a very unpleasant experience due to the top-heavy weight balance more than anything. So is using it for calls, unless you're the BFG you look and feel pretty stupid. Like I said I have huge hands and still find it uncomfortable to use one handed. The Apple Watch makes this a little less irritating as you can perform your quick interactions from there but even then I still get annoyed with the phone size. I'd also say that the iPhone 6 (and even the 5S) have better performance, there are a few quirks and issues using the 6+ that are not on the smaller models.

Overall I'd say it depends on your lifestyle - it is not an iPad replacement. If you have an Apple Watch, massive mutated hands, rarely make actual calls, or just chuck your phone in your bag then the larger size will be less irritating, if you have anything other than late 90's baggy jeans it can feel a little unpleasant in the pocket. If you're a 'normal' sized person I'd be prepared to get annoyed by it. But when you're sat comfortably with both hands available it is the best iPhone by far. I have decided that the negatives just slightly edge out the positives and will be selling mine for a standard 6S.

ZeroX03

Banned
3D touch, unlike multitouch, will probably be unusable with even a tiny crack in the glass.

It's also completely optional. All implementations of 3D Touch are new functionality if the reviews are right. It does sound like it's good enough to be implemented into essential use in the future though.

madmook

I found my tracking info on UPS by reference number search (saw some posts in this thread about this), and it's scheduled for Friday delivery. But I would rather pick it up on my own time at a local UPS store if possible.

But when I choose a location it changes the estimated delivery to next Monday. Has anyone else ever used this method to divert a package delivery to a UPS location and if so was the delivery date indeed pushed back or was it available for pick up at the chosen location on the originally scheduled delivery date?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The battery being great on the plus feels like a mitigation for being massive. It's like 'yes it's too big but'. If the normal iPhone had a solid one day battery there would be less fussing about the plus battery I think. A tiny bit thicker would let them have more battery and probably OIS, and who is going to notice 1mm? Too much obsession with thin and not enough on actual usage.

Anyone in the UK got UK Mail as their courier? I've tried to track my iPhone but their website is absolute garbage. I've put in both tracking and delivery numbers into their track box and both times no results were found. Anyone else got them and actually had success in tracking their parcel?

Dougald

Anyone in the UK got UK Mail as their courier? I've tried to track my iPhone but their website is absolute garbage. I've put in both tracking and delivery numbers into their track box and both times no results were found. Anyone else got them and actually had success in tracking their parcel?

You could try the Syncreon tracking page which might work if you're desperate, as Apple tend to use them before handing off to local couriers

Mine is shipping via DPD, doesn't show on their system as of last night when I checked. I suspect that they're all sitting in a warehouse somewhere with shipping labels on, waiting to be scanned into the couriers systems later today on pickup.

You could try the Syncreon tracking page which might work if you're desperate, as Apple tend to use them before handing off to local couriers

Mine is shipping via DPD, doesn't show on their system as of last night when I checked. I suspect that they're all sitting in a warehouse somewhere with shipping labels on, waiting to be scanned into the couriers systems later today on pickup.

Ah thanks, I checked on Syncreon and it said Order not yet Live so that would explain why no information was shown. Hope that changes some time today if it's supposed to be here by tomorrow!

ZeroX03

Banned
Spent yet another day exhausting even more options to get a phone. My carrier is beyond useless. I can get any color or size of iPhone 6 tomorrow, but a Plus is out of the question. Nobody in the world appears to be able to solve that problem.

I've accepted I'm not getting a phone this month. Might buy an Apple Watch to cheer myself up.

crying-money-woody-harrelson-zombieland.gif

Shipment notification from Apple! My 6S Plus 64GB Space Grey is on its way!

The first thing I'm going to do is return and get the exact same thing on the iPhone Upgrade Program

Shenmue

Banned
You wouldn't get $120 for it? That's all you're saving over a 2 year contract

I read the official Tmobile newsroom announcement and it seems that "Other Phones" is still limited to select models anyway so mine wouldn't even qualify.

I have an old Xperia Ion just lying around.

Ninja Dom

Yup, I'm DPD and as of early hours this morning it wasn't showing. I just got a text from Apple (DPD) confirming delivery tomorrow.

Nephtis

Impulse bought one at 4am this morning, then realised it said shipping in 3-4 weeks lol.

I can wait ;_;

Haha

I'm gonna go to the Apple store tomorrow and hope they have a 128gb model that someone decided to cancel, or missed their reservation (they will hold the phones for 3 hours only).

Servbot24

Banned
Haha

I'm gonna go to the Apple store tomorrow and hope they have a 128gb model that someone decided to cancel, or missed their reservation (they will hold the phones for 3 hours only).

I'm counting on this happening so I'm not stuck with Gold :(

My cancel if not, really don't like the white border

Servbot24

Banned
Then why did you get gold?

It was the only one left to reserve in store.

Speaking of which, I'm supposed to pick it up at the Apple store tomorrow, but I was going to do a subsidized plan. How does that work, do I then bring it in to the t-Mobile store and they reimburse me perhaps?

Lima

Spoke with smartmod here in Frankfurt.

They will take the back and the gold ring around touch ID and put the black front. So I will have a gold iPhone with black face. Shit is going to look classy as fuck.

burgerdog

I don't need to do the pre-signing if it's going to be delivered at the office, right? Just want to make sure because I won't be at the office when it gets delivered. Will they release it to the secretary?

ZeroX03

Banned

They will take the back and the gold ring around touch ID and put the black front. So I will have a gold iPhone with black face. Shit is going to look classy as fuck.

My friend did this with his 6. It just looked okay. Gold needed to stand out a bit more to look good though, the more understated style looks better with white.

Ninja Dom

You got any kind of pics of what they do?

Shun

After notifying a Verizon exec, I got my phones bumped up to release date from mid October. Took a while since I am sharing plan with family in America.

2 Rose Gold iPhone 6S+ in 64 and 128GB coming my way soon ❤️ O(^∇^)O

#RoseGoldGate

Too pink, not pink, we don't know.

#TouchGate 3D touch broke my taptic engine

#TarnishGate 7000 Aluminum oxidizes easier and my phone isn't gold anymore, it's black.

Go pay it off so that you own it. Do you use SoftBank, au, or docomo? They might have a deal, I got a good price on the 5S when I got it.

Sendai has an Apple Store that you might be able to test out. I would go for the 6S+ if you want the better battery, screen, and better photos/videos.
I wear form fitting jeans from Uniqlo and Naked and Famous and they fit my pockets fine. The times where they don't I have pockets on my jacket or a chest pocket on a shirt or a bag to put it in. No big deal in my opinion.

I think it's worth the ¥10,000 difference.

Though if you do get a 6S+ I suggest you go order a case from FocalPoint or amazon.jp because since the phone is bigger it may be more susceptible to damage.

tunewear make good everyday cases and glass screen protector and alto make really nice luxury leather case. There are a lot of option on both FocalPoint and amazon.jp

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm thinking about flashing my 6S Plus to 9.1 Beta 2 before I use it after it arrives Friday. Anyone else? I know you can receive OTA Beta updates, but will I have to reflash it again when the release version is out, or will I receive an OTA update for that?

Newline

I'm thinking about flashing my 6S Plus to 9.1 Beta 2 before I use it after it arrives Friday. Anyone else? I know you can receive OTA Beta updates, but will I have to reflash it again when the release version is out, or will I receive an OTA update for that?
I've got a developer account due to the work I do. Do you think it's worth me updating to 9.1 when I get my phone tomorrow? Is it stable enough yet?

reflash? when 9.1 comes out to the public, 9.2 beta will probably be out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

If you want to leave the beta stream of OTA updates you'll have to delete the Apple beta provisioning profile and then update to the current public release via iTunes, no need to restore however. Otherwise you'll just continue getting the OTA betas instead of the public stable releases.

E.g. if you stay on the beta program you'll get the beta for 9.2 or whatever 9.1.x the next one in line is once 9.1 is public and so on.

Ninja Dom

I've just thought, iOS 9.0.1 came out yesterday.

Do you reckon our launch day 6S and 6S Plus's will still be on iOS 9.0? Or will we have to do a "Day One" update to iOS 9.0.1?

Rootbeer

Banned
Having a larger phone wont ruin your day, running out of juice will.

That's funny because i was going to say the opposite. Comfort should be the #1 priority because your phone is with you at all times, so you need something that is not inconvenient for you to hold or put in your pocket. You can always carry a battery in your backpack/purse/whatever to plug it into.

Newline

That's funny because i was going to say the opposite. Comfort should be the #1 priority because your phone is with you at all times, so you need something that is not inconvenient for you to hold or put in your pocket. You can always carry a battery in your backpack/purse/whatever to plug it into.
We all have our preferences. I guess if he's struggled for a year with a larger phone that isn't going to magically resolve itself.

Top Bottom