• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yup. I've been rocking 16GB iPhones since I got an iPhone 4. This was the iteration that I finally stepped up to 64GB. 16GB is inexcusable, especially since Apple Music caching takes up a lot of space on top of all of the other things. Apps are huge. I plan to use Live Photos and snap plenty of selfies with the GF cause the front camera isn't pathetic anymore. 4K video will be fun to experiment with, and the worry of deleting stuff has just gotten old.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm sorry man. I feel your pain but he (and Ars Technica) are absolutely right. the 16GB model exists SOLELY for Apple to mislead people as to the real price of it's real entry level iPhone, the 64GB model.

With the sharp increase in resolution and asset sizes which makes Apps bigger, the steep increase in the number of useful Apps people carry around (insurance, airlines, banks, school, work, stores. etc.), 16GB is nowhere near enough. I won't even mention 4K video because that's the least of it...

You should return it ASAP and get one with 64GB. This is a typical situation of penny-wise, pound-foolish.

I don't mean to judge you but it just hurts my heart to hear you say 16GB. You're my brother Gaffer and it is my duty to speak painful truths to you.

The guy is making an informed decision and clearly doesn't like people second guessing him. Why are you pushing this?

And re the bolded, that actually changed with iOS 9 where apps only need to download the asset sizes that match the device.

rhino4evr

I'm sorry man. I feel your pain but he (and Ars Technica) are absolutely right. the 16GB model exists SOLELY for Apple to mislead people as to the real price of it's real entry level iPhone, the 64GB model.

With the sharp increase in resolution and asset sizes which makes Apps bigger, the steep increase in the number of useful Apps people carry around (insurance, airlines, banks, school, work, stores. etc.), 16GB is nowhere near enough. I won't even mention 4K video because that's the least of it...

You should return it ASAP and get one with 64GB. This is a typical situation of penny-wise, pound-foolish.

I don't mean to judge you but it just hurts my heart to hear you say 16GB. You're my brother Gaffer and it is my duty to speak painful truths to you.

I wasn't planning on using 4K. Pretty sure it's too late now anyway, as I bought it on contract, but thanks for looking out "bro".
The phone is for my wife, who doesn't use a lot of apps., and doesn't store any music or any other files on it. Will be mostly be used for reading the net, and taking photos. Which we download to our laptop on a regular basis.

I guess we will see how it works out .

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I wasn't planning on using 4K. Pretty sure it's too late now anyway, as I bought it on contract, but thanks for looking out "bro".
The phone is for my wife, who doesn't use a lot of apps., and doesn't store any music or any other files on it. Will be mostly be used for reading the net, and taking photos. Which we download to our laptop on a regular basis.

Don't mention it bro. We must always try to remember that the opposite of love is indifference.

I don't know about whether it's too late, but if it is, just disregard everything I said. You know your wife's usage patterns better than me. I'm sure she'll love it to pieces.

Can't wait for mine. I hope my hands are big enough to handle it...

TxdoHawk

From my experience dealing with retailers over the past few days - believe me, I've spent hours - the 64GB 6 Plus is the most brutally back ordered. Especially space grey.

I went this route after two iPhones in gold just for a change of pace. Glad it didn't bone me with the T-Mobile fiasco, I finally received tracking yesterday.

Edit: I think with light app usage a 16GB is doable. It's nice not to have to deal with juggling photos though. So glad to be on Team 64.

samn

You will be absolutely fine with 16GB.

u_neek

Less than 12 hours till the new iPhones out guys. Just saying. (UK here).
Got mine reserved for pick up around 6pm. Only problem is that I'm meeting two friends who are flying in separately to stay with me around the same time. Didn't really think that one through. I wonder if Apple will keep the reservations if I'm an hour late.

boxter432

https://twitter.com/sprintnews

Any thoughts on sprint's new iPhone plan?

$1/mo for 16GB 6s with trade in of iPhone 6....

$9.77/mo for 64GB 6s Plus... Damn. Might pull the trigger on this one

so I recently upgraded to a 6+ 16GB with Sprint, as I wanted to test the size for a while before deciding on the 6s size I go with, and I would be able to upgrade this year at the current rate (the $15 for 6s/$19 for 6S+ and so forth). I should be able to get a 6S+ 64GB for the $9.77 right?

I know plenty of people who are actually fine with 16GB. Blows my mind, but I guess we aren't the average consumers who just want to use it as a phone, Instagram/Facebook, take photos and stream from Spotify and look up something.

Newline

Got mine reserved for pick up around 6pm. Only problem is that I'm meeting two friends who are flying in separately to stay with me around the same time. Didn't really think that one through. I wonder if Apple will keep the reservations if I'm an hour late.
You're in luck, the will!! It's up to three hours that they'll keep your preorder. Random little thing, you're username neek is the same as my brothers handle, never known anyone else to use the same word.

Is someone here seriously buying the 16 model? Dude you are going to have one hell of a bad phone experience. I barely just managed on a 32GB samsung note 3 and that device used close to 6gb for the operating system.

I bought the 16GB model, and I have no regrets either. I made the decision based on phones I've used in the past. My LG G3, which is what I'm currently using, has 32GB of internal storage - I still have around 20GB available. All of my photos and videos get backed up automatically, and on top of that, I don't take an absurd amount of photos. All of my music is in the cloud, so I have none of that taking up space.

Personally, if I'd have gone with a larger amount of storage, it'd have mostly gone to waste. It's also worth noting that most of the space is being taken up by random apps my nephew downloaded, so those get deleted whenever I get annoyed with the presence of their icon.

DMczaf

https://twitter.com/sprintnews

Any thoughts on sprint's new iPhone plan?

$1/mo for 16GB 6s with trade in of iPhone 6....

$9.77/mo for 64GB 6s Plus... Damn. Might pull the trigger on this one

Looks like I gotta call Sprint to update my order. I did the iPhone Forever upgrade with any smartphone trade in (was going to give them some old ass phone I have)

With this new deal, I might just trade in my current iPhone 5s...

Sprint will also offer a $10/month price on iPhone 6s 16GB or $14/month on iPhone 6s Plus 16GB with the trade-in of an iPhone 5s.

You do realize that 32gb formats to around 27 usable, and then you have to add the OS into that equation.

You dun goofed.

I'm 100% aware of that. That would mean I've used around 7GB of space, which includes the useless games that my nephew downloads. Let's assume the 16GB iPhone has about 12GB of useable space, in which case I still have a decent amount of room to spare.

I might be worth noting that I'm not what you would call a power user. I'm actually curious, as someone who is buying the largest model. What is taking up most of space on your phone?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Read the press release on T-Mobile, and I still can't really make sense of what the final cost will be if I trade in a iPhone 6 Plus 128GB and get an iPhone 6S Plus 128GB.

Seems like it will be $200 up front and then $7 per month for 18 months totaling up to $326, but the example they describe indicates that that won't be the case:

And, if you want to hang on to your iPhone after your 18 month JUMP! On Demand agreement is up, you can at T-Mobile for $125 LESS than the full retail price. That’s just $524 for a new iPhone 6s 16GB without trade in. And with iPhone 6 trade in, you can keep your iPhone 6s 16GB after 18 months, after paying just $254 in total – that’s $395 less than full retail price with trade in. In fact, T-Mobile is the only provider offering iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus at a discounted price.

Seems needlessly complicated, so I might just turn to Craigslist to sell off my 6 Plus...

Owari

I'm 100% aware of that. That would mean I've used around 7GB of space, which includes the useless games that my nephew downloads. Let's assume the 16GB iPhone has about 12GB of useable space, in which case I still have a decent amount of room to spare.

I might be worth noting that I'm not what you would call a power user. I'm actually curious, as someone who is buying the largest model. What is taking up most of space on your phone?
The 128GB is only useful for those who want to take 100GB of 4K video.

Massa

Yeah the plus size is exactly the same as limiting the amount of media and software you can own on your device right?

HOLY CRAP this guy.

Well, he's shown that not a single mod on GAF is interested enough in the iPhone 6S to read this thread.

rhino4evr

I have a 16 gig phone. And I just deleted all my photos , and I have over 5 gigs of space available. my wife uses even less apps then I do.

I didn't consider that the plus apps take more memory though? Is it pretty significant over the regular phone app sizes?

Got an email that my reservation for the 64GB Space Grey iPhone 6 (Verizon) is confirmed for pickup tomorrow! I ordered on 9/14, but I'm doing the Apple upgrade payment plan thing, if that makes a difference.

Can't wait!

u_neek

You're in luck, the will!! It's up to three hours that they'll keep your preorder. Random little thing, you're username neek is the same as my brothers handle, never known anyone else to use the same word.

Fingers crossed!

Ha, that is pretty funny :)

For me, I personally have no idea if I will ever use the full 128GB. Part of it is I don't want to have to worry about storage. Another part of it is that this is the first time I'm transitioning back to iPhone after a couple years of using Android (I had an iPhone 4) so I don't know how much space the apps will use especially considering 6Plus apps (I believe) are produced at a really high resolution and then downsampled to 1080p, which probably uses quite a bit of assets. I also plan on using Plex Sync + the Amazon Video download to watch later feature quite a bit. And then there is actually taking photos and videos..might as well be safe.

There was no way I was going 16GB at all so 64GB was entry level for me. At that point $100 more to get up to 128 spread over 2 years doesn't seem like that much of a risk.

Owari

Currently rocking 128GB on my existing 6. I got about 30GB free. Plenty of 60fps video plus all my movies and TV Shows to hand.
I have 128GB too, and it's overkill. 64GB is plenty. I also have tons of movies on iTunes... Still overkill. You'll never actively need to use 128GB of content at once, but I guess the convenience is nice.

Wreav

Banned

Pictures and videos, I have a 2 year old and it's non-stop. I could probably be ok if I got a 64, but I think I'd end up running out at some point.

Especially with the introduction of 4K. 4K video will be my default.

I am willing to pay a premium for never having to think about it.

I have a 16 gig phone. And I just deleted all my photos , and I have over 5 gigs of space available. my wife uses even less apps then I do.

I didn't consider that the plus apps take more memory though? Is it pretty significant over the regular phone app sizes?

This isn't true. Your biggest problem is that simple tasks like Safari, Mail, Twitter and Facebook take up significant storage (as a % of total space available on a 16gb model) over time.

I had 16gb with the 5 and 6, and while I managed with the 5, five months ago my 6 was full and ever since then I've been deleting/backing up constantly, meaning almost daily. I bought my phone on launch day.

It got so annoying that I dumped all my pics and deleted all my messages, and deleted and reinstalled all apps and Mail, and I was able to free up 4gb. So for the past three months I'vr been purposely avoiding taking lots of pics and deleting messages as soon as I can. It's not a fun experience.

I'm a similar user as your wife--I use a few basic apps and text. I barely even take pictures. But 16gb (11 usable after OS) was not enough for my 6, so it definitely won't be enough for the 6s, which is why I got 64gb. I'll never use the space, but peace of mind is more important to me. Yes, you can use iCloud or other cloud storage, but it's still more work than I'd like it to be. I want my phone experience to be the opposite of a computer--painless and without any fussing around.

Owari

Why do you think Apple didn't release the base model at 32GB? They knew everyone wouldn't buy the 64. Even 64 is overkill.. 32GB is the unavailable sweet spot.

Why do you think Apple didn't release the base model at 32GB? They knew everyone wouldn't buy the 64. Even 64 is overkill.. 32GB is the unavailable sweet spot.

Because they can't reasonably charge $100 more for 32 GB anymore.

If there were a 32GB model almost no one would opt for the 64 instead. 16 isn't enough and 64 is too much. Agh.

I wouldn't say no one, but yes, that's exactly why 32 is not offered.

giga

If there were a 32GB model almost no one would opt for the 64 instead. 16 isn't enough and 64 is too much. Agh.
It's a clear move to increase ASPs, which shareholders love. At the end of the day, they're a corporation and I hate that they continue to succumb on this.

MisterR

This isn't true. Your biggest problem is that simple tasks like Safari, Mail, Twitter and Facebook take up significant storage (as a % of total space available on a 16gb model) over time.

I had 16gb with the 5 and 6, and while I managed with the 5, five months ago my 6 was full and ever since then I've been deleting/backing up constantly, meaning almost daily. I bought my phone on launch day.

It got so annoying that I dumped all my pics and deleted all my messages, and deleted and reinstalled all apps and Mail, and I was able to free up 4gb. So for the past three months I'vr been purposely avoiding taking lots of pics and deleting messages as soon as I can. It's not a fun experience.

I'm a similar user as your wife--I use a few basic apps and text. I barely even take pictures. But 16gb (11 usable after OS) was not enough for my 6, so it definitely won't be enough for the 6s, which is why I got 64gb. I'll never use the space, but peace of mind is more important to me. Yes, you can use iCloud or other cloud storage, but it's still more work than I'd like it to be. I want my phone experience to be the opposite of a computer--painless and without any fussing around.

This was me. I've had the 16 gb for the 3gs, 4, 5 and 6. Finally with the 6 it's been a huge pain in the ass. Having to delete apps, messages or pictures to just have a little space. I'm planning on keeping the 6s for a while and the peace of mind with space will be nice. My wife had the 16gb as well, and she would be so frustrated when she went to take a video or picture of my son and she would be out of space and have to delete a bunch of stuff just to take a picture.

I think I'm going to love this 64gb space though. It's the most I've had on a phone and I plan to put it to use with pictures, music, and apps.

Rootbeer

Banned
They just need to adjust the pricing slightly.

Once they make 32GB the base (hopefully with the 7), make 64 only $50 more (or $75?), but make 128 $150 more (though ideally it would be cheaper, but i'm trying to think like Apple here)

DCS

Banned
I want to counter some of the shitposting, 16GB is fine if you know your uses. I have had a new iPhone every year since 2007, continuing with the same backup the whole time (messages and all) and used to find 16GB limiting - my 5S was 32GB and my 6 Plus was 64GB - but the arrival of Apple Music and iCloud photo library (which both get a lot of use thanks to my unlimited data plan) mean that music and video are taking up little space on my phone, so currently my storage looks like this.

v8dqAgI.jpg

That's at the end of my year with the 6+ so the phone is full of old redundant data, cache files etc as well as a few apps I temporarily put on there while on a recent holiday. 16GB is going to be more than enough for me* and very easily can be for somebody that knows what their uses are going to be. The 'my needs are what everybody else should have' attitude that a lot of tech enthusiasts have is pretty gross to be honest, see the people that think everybody should have the smaller/bigger 6 model because it suits them best. Grow up.

*not that I don't think the minimum storage size should be 32GB

Pictures and videos, I have a 2 year old and it's non-stop. I could probably be ok if I got a 64, but I think I'd end up running out at some point.

Especially with the introduction of 4K. 4K video will be my default.

I am willing to pay a premium for never having to think about it.

Okay, I can see how your space can become limited rather quickly. I do take photographs, but I only record video on rare occasions. I don't have kids, so there aren't a lot of moments that I would need to capture on a daily basis. I guess only time will tell if I regret my decision.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Still waiting on something from AT&T :( my 6s Plus still sitting in "preparing shipment" phase, even though I'm seeing a lot of folks get their shipment confirmation who have the same model as me. Come on AT&T make my lyfeeee

Top Bottom