• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Shenmue

Banned
As I'm not grandfathered, an unlimited plan costs more than what I'm currently using (10gb a line with data stash on T-mobile). Given that, cloud storage and things like that isn't a good choice for me.

For me it's cheaper to just pay the extra $100 for the 128gb and never have to worry about storage. Although on my current 6+ I'm at about 100gb with little to no photos or videos.

I want to counter some of the shitposting, 16GB is fine if you know your uses. I have had a new iPhone every year since 2007, continuing with the same backup the whole time (messages and all) and used to find 16GB limiting - my 5S was 32GB and my 6 Plus was 64GB - but the arrival of Apple Music and iCloud photo library (which both get a lot of use thanks to my unlimited data plan) mean that music and video are taking up little space on my phone, so currently my storage looks like this.

v8dqAgI.jpg

That's at the end of my year with the 6+ so the phone is full of old redundant data, cache files etc as well as a few apps I temporarily put on there while on a recent holiday. 16GB is going to be more than enough for me* and very easily can be for somebody that knows what their uses are going to be. The 'my needs are what everybody else should have' attitude that a lot of tech enthusiasts have is pretty gross to be honest, see the people that think everybody should have the smaller/bigger 6 model because it suits them best. Grow up.

*not that I don't think the minimum storage size should be 32GB

You are using extra services (iCloud and Apple Music) to help manage your storage. If you don't want to be in the cloud, and there's extremely valid reasons why people would choose this (privacy, ownership vs rental) then 16gb is not anywhere near enough, even for light users like myself.

You are also clearly doing maintenance with your messages because there's no way your messages take up less than 100mb of space after eight years of usage. In three years I had over 4gb of space taken up by messages. People send random pics, gifs, memes, screenshots, etc. It all adds up. Unless you have a policy that you don't accept attachments in messages, but again, that's going out of your way to manage the storage when the easiest solution is to buy the 64gb model. Peace of mind is worth $100, especially when you can sell the phone back and recoup your cost completely.

Woooo AT&T just sent me an email saying the phone is on its way!

Model/size/color?

Owari

I want to counter some of the shitposting, 16GB is fine if you know your uses. I have had a new iPhone every year since 2007, continuing with the same backup the whole time (messages and all) and used to find 16GB limiting - my 5S was 32GB and my 6 Plus was 64GB - but the arrival of Apple Music and iCloud photo library (which both get a lot of use thanks to my unlimited data plan) mean that music and video are taking up little space on my phone, so currently my storage looks like this.

v8dqAgI.jpg

That's at the end of my year with the 6+ so the phone is full of old redundant data, cache files etc as well as a few apps I temporarily put on there while on a recent holiday. 16GB is going to be more than enough for me* and very easily can be for somebody that knows what their uses are going to be. The 'my needs are what everybody else should have' attitude that a lot of tech enthusiasts have is pretty gross to be honest, see the people that think everybody should have the smaller/bigger 6 model because it suits them best. Grow up.

You do realize that an unlimited data plan is extremely hard to get in a lot of places, 'specially if the network isn't shit

Sapiens

I only really use my phone for a few apps and I stream everything else. Photos are dumped upon charge nightly.

16GB is fine for me.

Also, tracking is updated - I'm getting mah phone tomorry!

Arlen777

I have 128gb 6+ and have 9gb free space left wish they would make 256gb model.

Funny thing is i dont have a single movie on it, its mostly apps that i actually use and shit load of pictures and videos (mostly work related)

ngower

16GB has worked but with the 5s I found myself regularly running out of space, so I'm going with 64 this time. I can't see myself using it all as I barely have like 120GB used on my laptop.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
How packed do you guys think the UPS facilities will be at 9:00am when they open?

Hoping to not have to wait forever to pick up my devices from will-call.

v8dqAgI.jpg

Not everyone has unlimited data, though...that's a huge point.

rhino4evr

Now I'm second guessing the 16 gig. Dammit GAF!

The problem is , that if I wanted to return it . I'd probably have to wait another month for 64 gig.

The problem is , that if I wanted to return it . I'd probably have to wait another month for 64 gig.

You can totally make it work on a 16GB, you'll just have to be frugal. The luxury with any other configuration is that you just don't have to consider space issues. I have a 16GB 5S now and I just have to delete an app to download another. Also have to do routine photo wipes, but I also don't need most of my photos. It's totally do-able. Just avoid 4K video unless it's crucial, and turn off Live photos when you can. :p

samn

With your wife's usage you'll be fine.

I don't download music or large (>1GB) games. I have about ~50 apps sitting about that I could probably delete. I have 3.5GB (843) photos, which compress down to 500MB with iCloud Photo Library auto-storing the large versions. For browsing, a bunch of messaging apps, taking photos, and even taking video (with the quality on 720p) I've had no issues, with 3.6GB free. Personally I'm glad I saved the money. I'm not taking pains to micromanage or to be frugal.

DCS

Banned
Not everyone has unlimited data, though...that's a huge point.
Yes, but what you and the others are missing is that 16GB is more than enough for some people. I'm not saying that bigger sizes don't make sense - I'm happy to state that 64GB is the perfect amount for 90% of people - but proving that the minimum size is fine for some and the negative comments towards them is unwarranted. I'm sure some people require 128GB, too.

You can totally make it work on a 16GB, you'll just have to be frugal. The luxury with any other configuration is that you just don't have to consider space issues. I have a 16GB 5S now and I just have to delete an app to download another. Also have to do routine photo wipes, but I also don't need most of my photos. It's totally do-able. Just avoid 4K video unless it's crucial, and turn off Live photos when you can. :p

The thing about a phone is you want the experience to be painless. I'm willing to deal with missing DLLs and custom settings and restarts and updates on a PC because all the tweaking and poking and prodding makes it a better PC in the end. But with a phone, I just want to turn it on and use it. I don't want to worry about battery life (which is why I'm sticking with the +), I don't want to have to manage my storage (which is why I'm getting 64gb). I just want to turn the phone on and do what I want in the five minutes at a time that I'm using it. Because my expectations are different, I want the easiest route possible.

Anyone can make 16gb work if they are frugal and use iCloud and back up photos every night and don't use 4k and don't use 60FPS and turn off Live Photos and stream everything and delete all attachments and on and on, but that's a lot more micromanaging than needs to be done when the alternative is to simply pay $100 more and you're home free. And if you're not going to use 4k video and Live Photos, why are you even getting a 6s? Just for 3D Touch? The 6 is perfectly fine.

If you get 64gb, you will never have to do anything other than simply use the phone. That's extremely convenient.

SuperPac

How packed do you guys think the UPS facilities will be at 9:00am when they open?

Hoping to not have to wait forever to pick up my devices from will-call.

Past experience with the apple watch - they didn't have the package right at opening. So. Ya know. Make sure your package status says that it's actually ready for pickup before you hang out at the hub all day.

rhino4evr

I've always been a bit of a micro manager on my phone. Which is probably why I never even considered getting the larger size. Whatever is spilled milk at this point. I'll see how it goes, if it gets annoying I'll just get a .99 cents I cloud account.

Owari

Why buy an S type if you're just going to turn off all the features day one? They still sell the regular 6..

The thing about a phone is you want the experience to be painless. I'm willing to deal with missing DLLs and custom settings and restarts and updates on a PC because all the tweaking and poking and prodding makes it a better PC in the end. But with a phone, I just want to turn it on and use it. I don't want to worry about battery life (which is why I'm sticking with the +), I don't want to have to manage my storage (which is why I'm getting 64gb). I just want to turn the phone on and do what I want in the five minutes at a time that I'm using it. Because my expectations are different, I want the easiest route possible.

Anyone can make 16gb work if they are frugal and use iCloud and back up photos every night and don't use 4k and don't use 60FPS and turn off Live Photos and stream everything and delete all attachments and on and on, but that's a lot more micromanaging than needs to be done when the alternative is to simply pay $100 more and you're home free. And if you're not going to use 4k video and Live Photos, why are you even getting a 6s? Just for 3D Touch? The 6 is perfectly fine.

If you get 64gb, you will never have to do anything other than simply use the phone. That's extremely convenient.

I don't disagree, the person in question already bought a 16GB it seems and is feeling bad about it, and I was just saying that it's still usable. Granted yeah, you're gonna run into space issues pretty fast but I don't think it's that big a heart ache.

Kibbles

Is it true you only get charged an activation fee if you use the new SIM card? I renewed my 2 year contract to get the 6s 64gb but I'll just use my old SIM card if it avoids the fee.

Owari

I don't disagree, the person in question already bought a 16GB it seems and is feeling bad about it, and I was just saying that it's still usable. Granted yeah, you're gonna run into space issues pretty fast but I don't think it's that big a heart ache.
Or they could easily return it at the Apple Store for a larger GB unit?

rhino4evr

Or they could easily return it at the Apple Store for a larger GB unit?

Define easy?
Purchased through ATT with a 2 year contract.
Also the in store 64 gig phones will most likely be sold out by the time I get home to get my phone.

Whatever, I'll report back in a few months and let you know if my life ended for buying a 16 gig phone

TxdoHawk

This has got to be the nastiest preorder thread in recent years. Y'all just need some 7000 series loving in y'alls lives

Everyone's been nice kids up until the last day or so. No worries, tomorrow everyone will be too caught up in launch day fever and discovery to grouse.

TimFL

This has got to be the nastiest preorder thread in recent years. Y'all just need some 7000 series loving in y'alls lives

Last years thread was exactly the same. People sweating cause they "only" got their shipment notification 4 days before launch day (with comments like "I'm not sure it will be delivered in time").

bionic77

Tebow will bless you tomorrow with 2 new phones friend.

As always, fuck the Pats.
Holy shit.

Its a Tebow miracle!

AT&T told me that the phones had shipped and should make it to me by tomorrow. For those who are wondering the models are S+ 64 GB and S Pink 64 GB.

While some will credit Tim Cook and his amazing abilities with supply chains I take the position that this was a legit miracle, another last second finish that we should all credit to Tim Tebow.

In recognition I will refrain from touching myself or looking at any videos of GIFs of delicious sluts with gigantic asses.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 128GB is only useful for those who want to take 100GB of 4K video.

I have 128GB too, and it's overkill. 64GB is plenty. I also have tons of movies on iTunes... Still overkill. You'll never actively need to use 128GB of content at once, but I guess the convenience is nice.

Stop giving people your opinion as fact or telling people how they'll use their phone. I have 9GB free on my 128GB 6 Plus and could easily fill the rest up whenever I want.

Last years thread was exactly the same. People sweating cause they "only" got their shipment notification 4 days before launch day (with comments like "I'm not sure it will be delivered in time").

Nah this year's is a lot worse with the size/space stuff. Last year it was just lots of anxiety.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Order is still "processing" with a November ship estimate. T-Mobile 6S+ RG here.

😣🔫

Kama_1082

Banned
Still no word on Best Buy for the in store pickup. I'm afraid they didn't get any 6S+ in. Le sigh, I may have to wait in line tomorrow :(

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Stop giving people your opinion as fact or telling people how they'll use their phone. I have 9GB free on my 128GB 6 Plus and could easily fill the rest up whenever I want.

We tried letting him know yesterday. At this point it sounds like jaxapollo lacks the social skills necessary for non-confrontational disussion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've been looking into the iPhone upgrade program, and it seems objectively better to just buying a phone outright at an Apple store...

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6s/5.5-inch-display-128gb-space-gray

You end up paying the same amount as you would for the phone and Apple Care +, just split up monthly over 24 months (no interest), and the added option of trading in your phone for the newest device a year later (and renewing the 24 month contract). If you want to get out of the cycle, you just pay off your balance.

Is it true you only get charged an activation fee if you use the new SIM card? I renewed my 2 year contract to get the 6s 64gb but I'll just use my old SIM card if it avoids the fee.

For what carrier? I used my old 5 SIM in my 6 and was still charged on AT&T. If it's a new thing, that's great, but I doubt it. Does using a new SIM have advantages?

ZeroX03

Banned
It's already Friday morning here. I'm sitting here knowing I won't be getting one. Everywhere has been useless and told me that not even queuing will get me a Plus. Apple Store back ordered on orders made in the first hour of preorders live. GG

npa189

Just got a shipping notification from AT&T, 64gb space grey plus being overnighted. My grand android experiment is over, time to get back to a everyday phone and not a research product. Nexus 5 with 4.4 on it was great, nexus 6 with 5.0? not so much.

Aurizen

Smart and cautious. I have my head out the window, tongue out full yolo.
Fingers crossed for no gates.

I think I been cautious and smart enough haha... I placed my order! I'm in the squad!

Edit: and as quick as I did it they took the money... I'm also from philly so I won't be having it tomorrow...

YAAAAAS GAGA

My iPhone 6S+ SG (64GB) has been shipped. Good news to us Plus fans, didn't think I'd get it on launch day given the tight supply.

Top Bottom