• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Newline

how is the 6s+? i remember reading about the 6+ running a bit slow/lagging. maybe it was cause of the bigger screen. i hope 2gb ram/a9/ios 9 have made it run smoother.

I'll report back in a couple of hours but i'm hoping it'll be pretty much gone. If the iPhone6 is lag free on iOS9 then i'm guessing the 6S+ will be too.

ZeroX03

Banned
how is the 6s+? i remember reading about the 6+ running a bit slow/lagging. maybe it was cause of the bigger screen. i hope 2gb ram/a9/ios 9 have made it run smoother.

Lightning fast and practically perfect.

People are gone give me shit for saying this, but as far as we can tell, it should be the same as the previous version where the smaller unit boasts better performance.

Any differences at this level will be imperceptible except by the most neurotic of users.

There are only 20 points difference in both single and multi-core Geekbench scores. That's essentially nothing.

HUELEN10

Any differences at this level will be imperceptible except by the most neurotic of users.

There are only 20 points difference in both single and multi-core Geekbench scores. That's essentially nothing.
But it is still actually measurable, and the statement holds true; performance-wise, the smaller is superior.

ZeroX03

Banned
But it is still actually measurable, and the statement holds true; performance-wise, the smaller is superior.

Yes Huelen. The 6S is 0.501% better than the 6S Plus. That is a completely imperceptible difference and you can stop banging this fucking drum now.

0.008% superior. Technically, you are right.

Edit: oh so it's 0,5%. Preorder cancelled ;-)

Roughly 0.5% for multi core, 0.35% for single core.

HUELEN10

Hey, just gave a correct answer to a simple question, no need to get upset ginormous phone fans.

Half an hour to go, first in line, line of 2 at a T-Mobile in the boondocks.

Yes Huelen. The 6S is 0.501% better than the 6S Plus. That is a completely imperceptible difference and you can stop banging this fucking drum now.

Roughly 0.5% for multi core, 0.35% for single core.

Geek bench doesn't mean shit. It's about the amount of pixels and the downscaling.

Here are the benches for the OG 6 and +

http://m.imore.com/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-benchmarks

No one in their right minds would say they are equal in performance and feel using the devices but here they are in spitting distance on benchmarks.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hey, just gave a correct answer to a simple question, no need to get upset ginormous phone fans.

Half an hour to go, first in line, line of 2 at a T-Mobile in the boondocks.

No, you gave a disingenuous answer by comparing it previous versions and saying it has weaker performance. Does it technically have weaker performance? Yes, but to such a small degree that no human could notice it. It's not comparable to the 6 and 6 Plus gap. You are rightfully given shit for splitting hairs over a fraction of a percent difference.

Geek bench doesn't mean shit. It's about the amount of pixels and the downscaling.

Here are the benches for the OG 6 and +

http://m.imore.com/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-benchmarks

No one in their right minds would say they are equal in performance and feel using the devices but here they are in spitting distance on benchmarks.

I have access to the iPhone 6S Plus in front of me. I'm confident in saying that any performance gap between the models is practically unnoticeable. Or to word it slightly differently; I'm not sure how these devices could get any faster.

Ninja Dom

Wait there!!

So I'm restoring my data from iTunes with my iPhone 6S plugged into my Mac via a Lightning Cable. And I'm playing with the iPhone at the same time.

And my battery percentage is gradually decreasing. Should this be?

Is the heavier 6s still lighter than the 6+?

Yes, much lighter. Another observation is that the 6S is also noticeably thicker to hold than the 6.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is the heavier 6s still lighter than the 6+?

Yes.

6: 129g
6S: 143g
6 Plus: 172g
6S Plus: 192g

Wait there!!

So I'm restoring my data from iTunes with my iPhone 6S plugged into my Mac via a Lightning Cable. And I'm playing with the iPhone at the same time.

Wait until it's done chugging through all the intensive stuff before worrying.

Dougald

Wait there!!

USB is only 5v, and your restoration is probably hammering the battery pretty hard, sounds like it's probably about right

HUELEN10

Wow, line went from 2 to 10 quick. Now everyone's mad because the only have Rose Gold in (superior :p) 4.7 inch, more for me!

Newline

How are you meant to handle the battery when you get a new iPhone? Are you meant to charge it full before turning it on, or let it drain completely and then charge it, or just use it as normal?

Frith

my delivery is number 108 and the driver has got to 12 in 3 hours

estimated delivery time 10-11pm

odds are they give up and I'm getting it monday :(

Frith

How are you meant to handle the battery when you get a new iPhone? Are you meant to charge it full before turning it on, or let it drain completely and then charge it, or just use it as normal?

just use it how you want, there is no magic first charge you just have to to a full discharge recharge cycle every few months to reset what the battery thinks is full and empty.

You were supposed to drain it all the way down until the phone died on its own. Then recharge it back to 100%, and then let it sit for about an hour on 100% so it can trickle charge.

Except nowadays, it's totally unnecessary. You only do that to recalibrate the battery percentage, which I haven't done on any of the iPhones that I've owned since the iPhone 5.

Dougald

just use it how you want, there is no magic first charge you just have to to a full discharge recharge cycle every few months to reset what the battery thinks is full and empty.

I thought with lithium ion it wasn't a good idea to do a full discharge, and instead only drain the battery to 20% or so?

The problem is there is so much conflicting information out there these days. I think the best advice is probably just to use it however you like and not worry...

scotcheggz

I forgot to do a backup of my 5s and now it's in the repair shop getting a new battery... If I set my new phone up as a new phone, am I going to be missing much or do you think it's better to wait to set this up until I get my 5s back and do a backup? I'm not really sure whats included in the backup...

ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Random question -

I got a replacement iPhone 6 from Apple 2 weeks ago because of a bent enclosure and when I restored it from the backup I had made on iTunes, everything was kept in tact, including game progress.

However when I did the same thing today when I moved from the 6 to the 6S, my game progress seems to have been lost. I still have the original 6 as it was so my progress hasn't been 'lost', it's just not appearing on the new phone. Any tips on how to transfer it over to the 6S?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
By the way, if anyone is like me and doesn't restore so as to have a fresh as possible new phone, if you're also like me and the only thing you really want to carry over is your imessages, I'm gonna try out this tutorial. It seems pretty good and there's a comment saying it works on iOS9.

Newline

So 3D touch is the gamechanging feature from my short experience with the phone. Browsing the neogaf mobile site is an absolute dream, you can peek into all the threads and check out the images in the first post and see if the thread is even going to interest you then pop back out if it doesn't. All in one geusture, it works swimmingly.

By the way, if anyone is like me and doesn't restore so as to have a fresh as possible new phone, if you're also like me and the only thing you really want to carry over is your imessages, I'm gonna try out this tutorial. It seems pretty good and there's a comment saying it works on iOS9.

If it's the tutorial that I'm thinking you're using where you inject the iMessage history from one backup to a fresh backup using iBackup, then it does you wonders since I've always done this.

Well I went to the South Nashua store at Pheasant Lane for my 8am appointment. Was a bit confused where to go, found the pre-8am line. 8am they walked us into the mall, plenty of employees, no wait time at all. Took 20 minutes all up.

It was entirely possibly to upgrade a Verizon phone under contract getting onto the Apple upgrade plan and it all went swimmingly. I kept my original contract, they just added it as a new full priced phone and now I'm on Apple's upgrade program.

10/10 would launch again.

TimFL

The iCloud restore takes decades here. It looks like every app is downloaded (including data) but the "Loading Library" part in the music app seems to be stuck.

I hate setting up iPhones, all the apps that need login details updated and re-registered...
Moving over authenticator apps is a pain too. Yeah I know, I'm lazy.

ZeroX03

Banned
So 3D touch is the gamechanging feature from my short experience with the phone. Browsing the neogaf mobile site is an absolute dream, you can peek into all the threads and check out the images in the first post and see if the thread is even going to interest you then pop back out if it doesn't. All in one geusture, it works swimmingly.

POP POP!
peek peek

6pRwfGD.jpg

As someone with a 6+ currently, I was debating whether I should take the plunge and get a 6s+. This sounds really helpful and seems like a great use for 3D Touch.

Top Bottom