• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
CPwB-ucWwAAwN2l.jpg

HkMg62N.gif

ido

Anybody doing a speed/refresh test on the 6 Plus vs 6S Plus yet?

I figured the review people would have jumped on browser speed tests, app switching refreshing, etc.

Mine should be arriving sometime soon and I'll test it out myself I guess.

Went ahead and put my current 6 Plus up for sale on eBay. Hoping to get a decent amount back for it.

TxdoHawk

How do I use the trackpad thing in messages?

Getting used to 3d touch is odd.

Press like you are doing a "peek" on the keyboard, you'll see the keyboard visibly change (the letters disappear) and then you can move your thumb around to move the cursor. If you press further (like a pop) that starts text selection at the point where the cursor is, you can then move to choose the end point of that selection.

Here's a video demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6iZVHT7uKY

Newline

how is the 6s+? i remember reading about the 6+ running a bit slow/lagging. maybe it was cause of the bigger screen. i hope 2gb ram/a9/ios 9 have made it run smoother.
I can confirm that the iPhone 6S+ is lightning vast, zero noticeable lag when moving between apps. I turned off my wifi to try youtube with 4G and I was blown away by the speed. You can skin anywhere in the video and it will instantly play, zero stutter and zero waiting times. I didn't think the speed of this phone would impress me, coming from a note 3 but it really does.

Daffy Duck

3DTouch the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad.

Press like you are doing a "peek" on the keyboard, you'll see the keyboard visibly change (the letters disappear) and then you can move your thumb around to move the cursor. If you press further (like a pop) that starts text selection at the point where the cursor is, you can then move to choose the end point of that selection.

Here's a video demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6iZVHT7uKY

Awesome, thanks,

TimFL

What are Killer apps that aren't installed on the iPhone 6S Plus? The last iPhone I had was iPhone 3G!

Facebook (it literally kills your battery life).

I guess it all depends on what you need. I usually install stuff like the Google Authenticator, Spotify, social networking apps (twitter, instagram... facebook and the messenger too) first.

My iPhone is still loading the library in the music app (bar still empty)... I hope it finishes the restore soon because I have to go soon.

Lynd7

Got mine today, upgraded from 4S.

I have a little problem though. I am currently still using Snow Leopard on my main computer, kinda cause it's getting old and also because I am still using Final Cut 7. Now, my iTunes can't be updated to support the 6S, but I still want to restore the backup.

Could I take the backup data from this computer, put it on another one that is running a more current OS and restore from there or something?

Thanks.

TxdoHawk

What are Killer apps that aren't installed on the iPhone 6S Plus? The last iPhone I had was iPhone 3G!

Switching from Android? Most of the great Google services have iOS apps, Goog literally just added Google Keep to that list yesterday. I prefer Evernote but whatever works for you.

Other than that: Obviously games look great on the big screen, right now I like Alphabear and Sage Solitaire. Hearthstone too. (There are awesome monthly iOS gaming threads in our Gaming forum, go nose through them if you want more, the OP of those posts always has great suggestions.)

You'll want to grab a content blocker, there are several of those although no free option at the moment. I grabbed Crystal when it was free for a very limited time and it seems to work well.

Other suggestions, some obvious and some not: Instagram, NPR One, Pocket, Waze, Authy (nice alternative to Google Authenticator), Dark Sky, AMRC or Alien Blue if you like Reddit, iMaschine/Traktor if you are into music and/or DJ-ing,

Dougald

Waiting in line outside my local Verizon store. Still undecided on the regular or +. Help me out neogaf!

Personally, the only reason I see not to get the + other than cost is if it's impractical for you

I'm both cheap and need to fit my phone in a smallish motorcycle jacket pocket, so it's no go for me

5s

How much better is the battery life with the +?

Between a shitload and fuckton, approximately

Like I'll be down to 70% by the end of the day with light-moderate usage

Couldn't kill it in a day if I tried

EDIT: Hold in store and see if you like the size. I came from a larger Android. I got used to the size very quickly and now it doesn't feel big at all and everything else feels like a toy

Facebook (it literally kills your battery life).

I guess it all depends on what you need. I usually install stuff like the Google Authenticator, Spotify, social networking apps (twitter, instagram... facebook and the messenger too) first.

My iPhone is still loading the library in the music app (bar still empty)... I hope it finishes the restore soon because I have to go soon.

Then what are must have apps I should have?

Are there lighter clients for Facebook Messenger?

f@luS

More than a member.
I had no intention to buy the 6s as usually I take a new iPhone every two year and i skip the "s" years.

But I lost my iPhone 6 few days ago so how convenient. Anyway ....

I feel like I have the same phone. All new things Are nice but it looks like just software bonus instead of hardware. Yeah gif photo is nice, as the 3D Touch, and so on. But in the end I feel that all this could have been part of ios9 on a normal iPhone 6

Though I like the new selfie camera. Great quality finally

Well I went to the South Nashua store at Pheasant Lane for my 8am appointment. Was a bit confused where to go, found the pre-8am line. 8am they walked us into the mall, plenty of employees, no wait time at all. Took 20 minutes all up.

It was entirely possibly to upgrade a Verizon phone under contract getting onto the Apple upgrade plan and it all went swimmingly. I kept my original contract, they just added it as a new full priced phone and now I'm on Apple's upgrade program.

10/10 would launch again.

Who calls it south Nashua? =P

Going there at 12! Glad it went well for you.

Gaaraz

But in the end I feel that all this could have been part of ios9 on a normal iPhone 6
Can't speak for the other stuff, but I'm pretty sure 3D touch is a hardware thing which wouldn't have worked on a 6.

gimmmick

Between a shitload and fuckton, approximately

Like I'll be down to 70% by the end of the day with light-moderate usage

Couldn't kill it in a day if I tried

EDIT: Hold in store and see if you like the size. I came from a larger Android. I got used to the size very quickly and now it doesn't feel big at all and everything else feels like a toy

My biggest need is battery life . It's a pain in the to go to Disneyland and constantly having to hook up the phone to external battery with my 5s. Gotta feel it in the hand if it's worth the big change in size.

TxdoHawk

Another time ups would've delevered a package by now but since it's the iPhone, nope we've gotta make you wait:(

If it makes you feel any better, my guy doesn't even normally show up until 4-6 PM. I assume he's gonna be running late today, unless I get lucky and showing up so late to my hub means it was put on a smaller truck with a lighter schedule.

Tom_Cody

I have a 5S and I'm trying to come up with reasons to upgrade to the 6S. So far I can't come up with single one.

Could anyone offer guidance? Or is the 6S just for people who need to upgrade (broken phones, etc) and ultra enthusiasts?

I'm new to Greater Boston and coming up the 3 it says "So Nashua" on the sign. :(

Okay my bad. I don't want to scare off any new people! Welcome to the area.

I'm just messing with you. Nashua is pretty huge so there are actually two high schools split up by south and north. It's just uncommon for people to actually refer to the areas as separate in every day life. =P The split high schools is a recent thing (last ~10 years) so eventually...I'm sure south and north Nashua will be referred to as separately..and that would be an odd day.

giga

I had no intention to buy the 6s as usually I take a new iPhone every two year and i skip the "s" years.

But I lost my iPhone 6 few days ago so how convenient. Anyway ....

I feel like I have the same phone. All new things Are nice but it looks like just software bonus instead of hardware. Yeah gif photo is nice, as the 3D Touch, and so on. But in the end I feel that all this could have been part of ios9 on a normal iPhone 6

Though I like the new selfie camera. Great quality finally
lol

Hopfrog

I have a 5S and I'm trying to come up with reasons to upgrade to the 6S. So far I can't come up with single one.

Could anyone offer guidance? Or is the 6S just for people who need to upgrade (broken phones, etc) and ultra enthusiasts?

I am upgrading from a 5S, primarily because I can get the subsidized price and sell my old phone while it still has decent value. But there are plenty of reasons why someone would want to upgrade - larger screen, faster, better camera, 3D Touch. Or are you not interested in any of those?

Ninja Dom

One IPhone Gaffer has already mentioned it but I'm going to reiterate.

3D Touch + Neo GAF mobile = The Fucking Truth

Peek at every thread without actually having the page open. So good.

Okay my bad. I don't want to scare off any new people! Welcome to the area.

I'm just messing with you. Nashua is pretty huge so there are actually two high schools split up by south and north. It's just uncommon for people to actually refer to the areas as separate in every day life. =P The split high schools is a recent thing (last ~10 years) so eventually...I'm sure south and north Nashua will be referred to as separately..and that would be an odd day.

All I know is if I go to NH I don't pay sales tax which saves me $50. As the apparently proud Bostonite tradition goes. :p

Top Bottom