• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

GWX

Beats 1 is great, so far. Pharrell's new song isn't too bad either. The rest of the service still doesn't work for me (Brazil), though.

Tried that.

Seems to work, kind of spottily.

I'm not sure if I'm ok with that work around. I feel like I'll be way more anal and won't want to have multiples listed, so I'll stick to my copy in my music (iTunes match), which also will mean the artists I like will get less money. As it is now I generally stream from spotify, even though I have everything on iTunes match. The only artists I really listen to on match are just not on Spotify. So, I generally end up giving artists a lot of money (buy the album, then stream it when I play it!)

Actually most of the reason I stuck with Spotify was that Cloudscrob always was kind of spotty for me, and Spotify always scrobbled no matter what.

I definitely feel you on that. This is just a temporary bandaid for me right now. Once 8.4 is jail broken I will be able to use the Scrobbled tweak which will be much more seamless.

pronk420

the curated lists are pretty amazing, I'm impressed by how much obscure stuff they have (unless they are just being automatically generated?!). Machinefabriek has his own playlist <3

Mononoke

Banned
This song sounds a lot better on my IEMs. I think the last one just had flat production/mastering.

Freedom is stuck on repeat - must be a bug.ll

Fix this shit Apple

Zane Lowe said he specifically is playing it twice. Because that is what he does when he REALLY loves a song. Or something (if you were joking, my bad).

MercuryLS

Banned
Thanks Zane for playing Freedom again. What a great track, I've already saved a bunch of new tracks and albums thanks to Beats 1. Apple killed it.

Apple Music is very insistent on showing me country playlists and stations. Not sure why, because I don't think I have any country music in my library for it to pick from.

kudoboi

Just noticed that Explicit songs are showing grey for me too. Can't play any of those.

Seems to be based on country. A lot of people on Singaporean forums are saying the same thing so I'm guessing apple singapore had choose to not have explicit tracks on the service

This and the lack of beats 1 is a major deal breaker for me. I'll just stick to Spotify which at least has explicit tracks

Is anybody else having problems adding playlists and music to My Music? I tried adding a playlist to My Music, but once I did, the playlist went empty. Same happened when I created my own playlist; I added about 80 songs to a playlist, and then it went empty.

You have to turn offline only off its on by default when I remember how I did it I will post.

ZeroAKA

The playlists that I made on my iPad aren't syncing to my iPhone and vice-versa. Does anyone know if it's possible to get them to sync?

Mononoke

Banned
This is what radio used to be. Human curation still beats music picks by the computer most of the time.

Yep. I got to work at my Uni's Radio, and it was incredible. The whole "community" aspect around live radio, is a very powerful thing. That's kind of why I think maybe, Beats 1 radio should get its own thread. I think a lot of people on here would use it to listen to the same radio show live, and talk.

Either way, had no idea this was even coming out today. And it's already prob what I'll be using more than anything else. Spotify R.I.P. (for me lol).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Seems to be based on country. A lot of people on Singaporean forums are saying the same thing so I'm guessing apple singapore had choose to not have explicit tracks on the service

This and the lack of beats 1 is a major deal breaker for me. I'll just stick to Spotify which at least has explicit tracks
That's total garbage, might as well not even show those tracks in the service if we can't play them. :/

Beats is working here, but this explicit stuff is a deal-breaker.

snap0212

Wow, Siri integration is terrible in Germany. They should do something about that. Siri thinks that it's listening to German words and messes up artist's names left and right.

//ARCANUM

Why is there no option to add a track to "My Music" when listening to it on Beats 1? There should be a simple button to do that. As it is, if I hear a song I like, I have to go search for it and then add it. Seems unnecessary.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Also, the streaming quality is better than a lot of other internet Radio stations I tried, is it streaming at 256kbps AAC too?!?!?

Sounds excellent!

I'm confused. Are you just asking for a confirmation? You literally wrote that in your OP

HUELEN10 said:
Q: What format does Apple Music Stream In?
A: 256kbps AAC, just like iTunes Match. Before you ask, yes 256kbps AAC>320kbps MP3, any day of the week.

Also are you comparing the quality to some random homemade internet radio stations or a premium service like Membership Spotify?

mid83

The playlist function seems broke so far for me. Hopefully it works soon because that's how I usually listen to Spotify (I have various genre playlists I play on random).

Mononoke

Banned
I'm confused. Are you just asking for a confirmation? You literally wrote that in your OP

Also are you comparing the quality to some random homemade internet radio stations or a premium service like Membership Spotify?

I'm still not 100% sure on the quality of the songs being used on this. Pharell's song sounded great on my IEMs. The track before that, not so much.

LCfiner

My first impression is that i've liked the variety and quality of stuff on beats 1. I've also tried a few playlists from the store and have found some decent stuff I might have otherwise not found

Not bad.

I liked how easy it was to add an album or song from apple music to my library. But I can't seem to do that from beats 1 yet. Maybe a bug, as I read earlier?

So far so good.
Also, Freedom is catchy as hell.

HUELEN10

That is only for regular tracks, I wasn't sure on the bitrate when it came to Beats 1. That's why I asked if it was streaming at that Bitrate as well, like the rest of the music.
Just went through the For You set up and the suggestions just nailed it.

That is straight from the Beats app, circles and all!

I still haven't come to terms with purchasing .mp3 files, let alone pay for a subscription fee to stream a select library of music.

I'm sure this service will be perfect for somebody, but I doubt that I'd ever really use it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That is only for regular tracks, I wasn't sure on the bitrate when it came to Beats 1. That's why I asked if it was streaming at that Bitrate as well, like the rest of the music.

Oh lol. Yeah it should be using the same as Apple Music. Don't see why they would use a different format or bitrate. They should be keeping everything at a standard.

Mononoke

Banned

That is straight from the Beats app, circles and all!

Ah, I thought you actually knew. I kind of wonder what the quality is like then. Hmm. This def doesn't sound as good at times.

If it is 256 AAC across the board, that would be really awesome.

Mononoke

Banned
She's great.

Yeah, love this song. So if you click the 3 dots buttons, I get "share station" "start station"...

I thought you could add a song itself while hearing it live on Beats 1 radio. Like if you liked a song you heard, you could click a button and add that song, or go to the album it was played off of. Hmm.

Mr. Hyde

Zane Lowe is killing it already. I am excited for the potential of this station. I dig through a lot of live radio around the world using mytuner but this is very nice so far.

Yeah, love this song. So if you click the 3 dots buttons, I get "share stations" "create station"...

I thought you could add a song itself while hearing it live on Beats 1 radio.

So it seems that you can with SOME songs. Not all. Depends on if they're there. So, Pharrell isn't in the library or store yet. But Hudson Mohawke is, so I got 'Add to playlist' for him.

kudoboi

That's total garbage, might as well not even show those tracks in the service if we can't play them. :/

Beats is working here, but this explicit stuff is a deal-breaker.

FOUND A SOLUTION

Open Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable Restrictions > Set PIN (I'd recommend just 0000) > Music & Podcasts > Tap on Explicit toggle to Allow > Disable Restrictions (0000 or whatever PIN you chose previously)

Found this from another forum

Mononoke

Banned
So it seems that you can with SOME songs. Not all. Depends on if they're there. So, Pharrell isn't in the library or store yet. But Hudson Mohawke is, so I got 'Add to playlist' for him.

That makes sense. I was trying to add the last song (already forgot the name of her oops). :(

Slacker

Yeah, love this song. So if you click the 3 dots buttons, I get "share station" "start station"...

I thought you could add a song itself while hearing it live on Beats 1 radio.

I'm going to assume it's a bug. I tried to add the Beck song to my library earlier and it did the same thing, even though I could search for the song individually and add it that way.

The song after the Beck song did have the option to add it - so I assume they have a few kinks to work out.

Top Bottom