• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Gerdav

Reposting this issue from earlier because it still hasn't fixed itself:

I turned on iCloud Music Library in Settings, but I still can't get Music that I don't already own to either show up in My Music or go on my playlists. Oddly enough, when I click the 3 dots, it says "Remove from My Music," so it seems to think it's there, but it doesn't show up when I go look for it.

Any help?

Somebody asked if I had iTunes Match, and I do NOT, but I don't understand what that would have to do with my issue.

This is from the Apple Music FAQ, I may be on the wrong track here but I'm reading that as you have to wait for the Mac/PC iTunes update.

How does Apple Music know what songs are in my personal library?
With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalogue, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

Troy

Banned
Yeah I'm not feeling this at all yet. I prefer the UI of Spotify. The radio station isn't impressing me at all yet. Unfortunately even if I did like it, it's not going to be on enough of my platforms to even be of use.

Partition

Banned
You might have the option on that only shows music on your device. If that is the case music doesn't shop up in the playlist unless it's actually downloaded.

It says my iCloud Music Library can't be enabled. I don't know why. I have 4GB of storage available on iCloud

RevoDS

I asked this back in the beta thread and no one could answer so I'll ask again here...anyone know the reason why some songs can't be added to Up Next? Sometimes I'll try to queue a song and the options for Up Next (Play next, add to queue, etc.) just won't be there.

It's frustrating because I love the feature, it's the single greatest thing about this iOS update IMO, but it's completely unreliable and if there's a fix, I'd like to know.

It says my iCloud Music Library can't be enabled. I don't know why. I have 4GB of storage available on iCloud

That shouldn't matter anyway. Your iCloud music library is independent from iCloud Drive storage.

Can't help you as to a fix, but that's definitely not normal.

total noob question:

when I make a song available for offline, what is it doing? is it downloading it to my phone? i assume so, just want to make sure.

i like this service a lto, but as has been pointed out, it does an incredibly poor job of differentiating between songs that you own, songs you don't, and songs that are actually living on your device.

X-Frame

I'm scared to turn on iCloud Music Library -- the last time I turned on iTunes Match Library it completely messed up my library on my phone and I had to re-sync everything. I probably did something wrong though.

Xater

Close the music ab and the system settings app. Then go into the settings and try enabling it again. That's how it worked for me on my phone and iPad.

total noob question:

when I make a song available for offline, what is it doing? is it downloading it to my phone? i assume so, just want to make sure.

i like this service a lto, but as has been pointed out, it does an incredibly poor job of differentiating between songs that you own, songs you don't, and songs that are actually living on your device.

Yes, it's downloading it.

They totally don't have to though, right? Censorship rules only apply to domestic AM/FM radio from what I've known in the past.

No, they don't have to. I'm assuming they do because they want to keep it open for anyone to listen to without having to worry about the "think of the children" people.

pronk420

for some reason when i look at an artist page, the similar artists that show up don't allow you to press them to go to that artist's page. is that a bug or what? it seems really weird to show you similar artists but not let you do anything with them

Btw, if someone has not figured out the difference between 'add to library' and 'provide offline' (or something along these lines): 'Add to library' just links the track in your Music app and will be streamed when you play it. If you turn on airplane mode or lose your internet connection, the track disappears. 'Provide offline' actually downloads the track so you can also select it when you are offline.

'Add to library' seems to be a good option for 8GB device users then.

Xater

for some reason when i look at an artist page, the similar artists that show up don't allow you to press them to go to that artist's page. is that a bug or what? it seems really weird to show you similar artists but not let you do anything with them

No idea if it's a bug but it's the same for me. Seems dumb if intended.

Majine

Banned
This picture that media has been using during the Swift ordeal is the most Apple-approved ever.

5X54ZPK.png

Partition

Banned
Close the music ab and the system settings app. Then go into the settings and try enabling it again. That's how it worked for me on my phone and iPad.

Yes, it's downloading it.

I got it enabled by restarting but Apple Music songs still don't show on in my library or playlists.

RevoDS

Damn, could've sworn I saw the opposite at some point.
You're right though, it was clarified later. Apple Music includes all the iTunes Match features and builds on it (with possibly more tracks than iTunes Match in the fall when it goes to 100k instead of 25k). No point paying for iTunes Match if you intend on subbing to Apple Music.

Phreaker

Can I listen to any of the radio stations without a sub? Charting now, sound system, etc?

edit: iTunes Radio is free (ad supported) or no ads if you have iTunes Match which is $25 a year.

I seem to only be able to stream while on WIFI on my iPhone?

I don't see anything in settings...

Probably here... Settings / Celluar, (scroll down) Use Cellular Data For (select Music)

btkadams

Looks like it doesn't index remix artists. Why is this so difficult for Spotify and Apple? Beatport has been doing this on their store for years.

solarus

UK selection seems lacking compared to spotify, also the only thing that would get me to switch is if they offer a student pricing option that matches spotify as currently i only pay £5 a month and there's no way I'm switching until then (and if they match spotify's music selection).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not according to Apple's website:

it's confusing, but basically the actual iTunes Match service (the actual named service) is a separate service from Music. HOWEVER the Music service includes functionality identical to Match.

I'm really not sure why Apple says they are complementary. They are redundant in fact.

edit - what is the offline size/count limit?

Top Bottom