• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

KingKong

Wow there's a lot of stuff hidden away. The UI is pretty nice overall though. There's a lot of good stuff in New -> Apple Music Editors

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to export my Spotify playlists to Apple Music? Love Apple Music so far, but having to manually make all my playlists again might be the only thing keeping me from switching subscriptions.

blackflag

it's confusing, but basically the actual iTunes Match service (the actual named service) is a separate service from Music. HOWEVER the Music service includes functionality identical to Match.

I'm really not sure why Apple says they are complementary. They are redundant in fact.

Wait so I can upload my own music just like match?

Futureman

Probably check if use Cellular Data is enabled in Settings > iTunes & App Store

Only thing I have data off for is Passbook and Stocks.

I think I DID previously have Music set to "Off" for Data, but the new Music icon is set to "On" now. I wonder if there's some glitch where it's using the old Music "Off" setting?

strange.

it's confusing, but basically the actual iTunes Match service (the actual named service) is a separate service from Music. HOWEVER the Music service includes functionality identical to Match.

I'm really not sure why Apple says they are complementary. They are redundant in fact.

edit - what is the offline size/count limit?

Great. Does joining Apple Music cancel your Match sub? I'll check when iTunes updates.

Does it? Is it just not available during the trial? I still see a link to sign up for iTunes Match, and it looks an awful lot like it still wants me to pay $24.99 so I haven't gone past that button.

iCloud Music Library is the iTunes Match-like feature for Apple Music.

ITunes Match still available for those who just want their own music in the cloud, separate service.

So the For You section plays the tracks of a specific Artist rather than shuffling between the different tracks belonging to different artists? Wtf?

It does both. I have playlists showing on here like "Intro to Grizzly Bear" which cover the hits of a single band, as well as playlists like "Coffee Shop Alternative" which is various artists. I'm sure they'll come up with more diverse and interesting playlists as the service ages.

HUELEN10

Wait so I can upload my own music just like match?

Why do you think I've been pining for iTunes to be released?

Yep, I got a LOT to upload!
ri1qKBw.png

Sad thing is, most will not be matched, and will need to be uploaded. This is gonna take forever.

ri1qKBw.png

Sad thing is, most will not be matched, and will need to be uploaded. This is gonna take forever.

Does iTunes match songs that are not available in your home store? Like if they have all my Jpop in the Japan store but I'm in the US, will it still be matched?

Miyahon

Only thing I have data off for is Passbook and Stocks.

I think I DID previously have Music set to "Off" for Data, but the new Music icon is set to "On" now. I wonder if there's some glitch where it's using the old Music "Off" setting?

strange.

You have to look inside of iTunes and App Store inside of Settings not the Cellular part. It's a bit confusing. It should be under iCloud.

gimmmick

Will be interesting to see how many people cancel their Spotify subs.

Ignoring everything else, the new interface alone is miles better than the previous music app.

I did it this morning. Me, my girl, a couple of good friends and my mom is on my family plan.

Cowie

iCloud Music Library is the iTunes Match-like feature for Apple Music.

ITunes Match still available for those who just want their own music in the cloud, separate service.

Alright, I think it all makes sense now. I guess the "complementary service" stuff confused me. Thanks!

HUELEN10

Does iTunes match songs that are not available in your home store? Like if they have all my Jpop in the Japan store but I'm in the US, will it still be matched?

Nope, will be encoded to 256kbps and uploaded to the cloud if it is anything like the old iTunes Match, yeah, what a waste of time.

Leninpest

Is there a way to have it play from one artist's album to the next? Right now it loops the album. I liked the way it worked before.

edit - what is the offline size/count limit?
A friend just told me that you can't download songs on other systems without match. Can't download again after deleting locally either. This true? (I have match so can't test.)

Yeah, iTunes Match definitely becomes a much tougher sell now, it's purpose is more nebulous.

it still serves a purpose in that it stores my library in the cloud if I ever need to access it, but with Apple Music...I would very rarely ever need to access it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nope, will be encoded to 256kbps and uploaded to the cloud if it is anything like the old iTunes Match, yeah, what a waste of time.

this is not entirely true. Match is a weird beast. But I definitely have stuff in Match as "matched" that is not on the US store (at least visibly for sale)

A friend just told me that you can't download songs on other systems without match. Can't download again after deleting locally either. This true? (I have match so can't test.)

You mean Match + Music? Not sure.. I haven't had a chance to play with it, although my Match sub is good for another 4 months (you can only by Match in 12 month subs). As for Match on it's own? Correct. Without Match, you go back to the archaic/ancient way of music management on your device, although you can still re-download stuff you bought from iTunes by going to "Purchased" in the store.

That was always kind of the point of Match... for $2/month you get instant cloud access to your entire freaking library (up to 25K songs). Who the hell wouldn't pay that as long as you had a sizable personal collection....?

The only thing I'm wondering is if my Match stuff (especially existing uploads) will automatically be migrated to my Music sub by iTunes... Will have to find out tonight...

RevoDS

Yeah, iTunes Match definitely becomes a much tougher sell now, it's purpose is more nebulous.

it still serves a purpose in that it stores my library in the cloud if I ever need to access it, but with Apple Music...I would very rarely ever need to access it.

It serves a purpose for those who don't want to subscribe to Apple Music and only want their own library available in the cloud. It's the cheaper, less useful brother basically.

No one with Apple Music would want to buy iTunes Match, but those who don't sub to Apple Music might still want Match.

Maximus.

App is going to take some time to learn and they really cut down the options in my actual music library.

Following artists seems broken, it doesn't save basically any artists I have selected to follow. Anyone else experiencing this issue as well?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UK selection seems lacking compared to spotify, also the only thing that would get me to switch is if they offer a student pricing option that matches spotify as currently i only pay £5 a month and there's no way I'm switching until then (and if they match spotify's music selection).

how long before sites start releasing stats on what is missing in markets outside of the US? Assuming they'll have focused on US+Global rights, and then the smaller local rights will just have to wait.

anybody tried a japanese itunes account yet? Curious what the selection is like for local music.

Juice

I have subscribed to Pandora, Rdio, and Spotify and so far on day one Apple Music does the best thing of each of those services even better than they do. It's a massive surface area of features to launch on day one.

Beats 1 being an actual radio station and curated playlists are just gravy.

Can't wait to get my playlists out of rdio hell and into this.

the3ye

how long before sites start releasing stats on what is missing in markets outside of the US? Assuming they'll have focused on US+Global rights, and then the smaller local rights will just have to wait.

anybody tried a japanese itunes account yet? Curious what the selection is like for local music.
So I can't access music from japanese iTunes while having canadian Apple Music subscription? This is terrible. When the say 'whole catalog' I was expecting WHOLE or at least access to different regions :/

X-Frame

Sorry, false alarm. It seems that a huge bunch of ratings hadn't been synced from my Mac to my phone.

Okay, phew. I literally rate every song I import. I know some people didn't know that you can still tap the song title in the Now Playing window to see the rating, but it's always been like that.

I wasn't sure what they meant by 'overwhelming'

but what an appropriate word. It's a lot of stuff on top of what the Music app used to be.

So it's:

Your Library that you sync with the computer
Cloud Library via iTunes Match/iCloud Music Library
On-demand streaming
Live Radio
Pandora-like radio stations too

Give it some time and I think we can get used to it.

yoplay

Songs won't play now. My shit is buggy as fuck. Did download a few songs before it stopped working. I like it overall, but will need to be patient as they address the bugs.

I like: the ability to scroll through ur collection by letter for quicker access (spotify and tidal has tedious scrolling), in rainbows and the chronic are in, recommendations are pretty spot on.

I don't like: anthony santos collection is sparse compared to spotify, would like a save to my music button by the side of each track for quicker access.

Mononoke

Banned

ri1qKBw.png

lol that is my library.

I have so much music I brought back from Japan. Will take forever to upload.

mid83

Is there any way to transfer a Spotify playlist into Apple Music easily?

I hope somebody comes up with something as I cringe at thinking about manually creating my playlists.

Otherwise I'm loving this service so far. Beats 1 has been very good and I'm loving the playlists. I do hope collaborative/user playlists are a feature soon. That's a big thing I always loved about Spotify.

Is there any way to transfer a Spotify playlist into Apple Music easily?

I hope somebody comes up with something as I cringe at thinking about manually creating my playlists.

Otherwise I'm loving this service so far. Beats 1 has been very good and I'm loving the playlists. I do hope collaborative/user playlists are a feature soon. That's a big thing I always loved about Spotify.

Have you guys seen this already? Not sure how or if it works, I just came across that yesterday.

Maximus.

I don't like the white icon, there are too many white icons. Should have been multi-colored with a white music note, so a reverse of what it is now.

Ashhong

The UI is so much nicer than Spotify. Everything is easy to get access to and to save your music. I'm not a huge fan of the colors changing based on the artist picture. Kind of throws me off for some reason. Still love the app, definitely moving to this, even though its going to cost me 15$ a month (for myself and friends) vs. 5$ for spotify.

Can anyone confirm that iTunes gift cards will work to pay for Music?

yoplay

I like how albums are separated when u go to your artist collection (unlike Spotify which just puts them all together).

U can also add entire artist to play next unlike spotify (had to add individual tracks one by one). It also doesn't force the songs added to play next to the very top of the list. U can also add the entire albums to playlist under ur artist collection, but not by artist entirely.

Partition

Banned
Figured out the solution to my problem.

Seems like Apple hid a setting in a really obscure place, that you need to disable in order to see Apple Music tracks.

If you can't add Apple Music to your library, go to "My Music", click Artists, then make sure "Show Music Available Offline" is NOT toggled on.

PaulLFC

I wonder if the Android version will be out within 3 months... I hope so - I have an iPad but use my Android phone far more, but I'm tempted to take the 3 month trial today and hope the Android version has launched by the end of it, so I can make a decision on whether to switch from GPM or not.

Phreaker

That Years and Years song Communion was fantastic, never heard of them...looked them up and the album isn't out yet, comes only July 10th. Go Beats 1

Top Bottom