• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Mononoke

Banned
That Years and Years song Communion was fantastic, never heard of them...looked them up and the album isn't out yet, comes only July 10th. Go Beats 1

A lot of stuff played today was either from albums that aren't out yet, or artists that people haven't even heard of.

This is pretty awesome how much this is becoming a platform for new acts. I remember I first heard CHRVCHES using the random radio selection through Apple. So now we have an actual live Radio station, and it will be sweet discovering new stuff through it (a lot better than a playlist of songs playing).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Having lots of fun kicking back and making a playlist.

I wish there was landscape support though. :(

X-Frame

FYI, if you want to disable the Connect nonsense, go to Settings > General > Restrictions and disable "Apple Music Connect".

The former Connect tab in the Music app is replaced by Playlists. Way better IMO.

RDreamer

Welp, I guess further cementing me staying on Spotify is the library. I normally make a giant playlist with my album of the year contenders. Was going through and remaking my playlist from what I have written down, and so far Apple Music is missing 4 that Spotify has, and there's only one album so far in the reverse situation that Apple Music has and Spotify doesn't.

Might be because it's new and a few of those artists just haven't signed up yet. I'll be keeping tabs on it.

giga

FYI, if you want to disable the Connect nonsense, go to Settings > General > Restrictions and disable "Apple Music Connect".

The former Connect tab in the Music app is replaced by Playlists. Way better IMO.
Awesome. This gives playlists its own tab too.

HUELEN10

QLgKtmb.jpg
Is this a bug? It says I am following a gorillion people, but I am only following 4 I actually picked; where are the other numbers coming from?

Ambitious

Sorry, false alarm. It seems that a huge bunch of ratings hadn't been synced from my Mac to my phone.

Okay, phew. I literally rate every song I import. I know some people didn't know that you can still tap the song title in the Now Playing window to see the rating, but it's always been like that.

In order to update the ratings on my phone, I disabled all iCloud/Apple Music stuff so I could manually sync again, removed all songs from the phone and re-synced them. In doing so, the ratings of about 800 songs on my Mac were removed. Fortunately I have a recent backup.

Majora

Is it just me who thinks that some of the navigation is really convoluted and lacking compared to the Spotify iOS app? The curated and personalised stuff in Apple Music kills Spotify but UI wise I'm finding it messy. Examples:

- Look at a playlist in For You based on a single artist, e.g an intro to or deep cuts. I have one for Basement Jaxx. There is no way to go straight from the playlist to the Basement Jaxx artist page when you press the more options button. You have to press the more options button next to a playlisted song, go to the album the song was taken from and then go to the artist page from there. Spotify will always let you go directly to the artist page from a song, by comparison.

You can't see the 'all videos' list for a particular artist directly from an artist page. It has a 'top videos' link which links to a top videos list and if you select a video it then gives you a 'more from artist' link underneath the video which then gives you the full video list for that artist. Way too many steps to get to that.

New category is jam packed full of disparate stuff. New is a misnomer, it's basically 'browse through everything there isn't a dedicated tab fo'r. You need to scroll through new to access new releases, curated playlists, mood playlists, videos, charts and more all on one long page. I'm resenting connect taking up a whole tab when they could have spaced out the content better.

View a curated playlist and there is no easy way to link to the curator's other playlists, or follow them straight from the playlist you're on. You have to go to 'New', scroll down to the curator section and manually find the curator (eg Apple Electronic Music) that created the playlist to follow them.

Things just aren't linking up together as well as I would expect, and the options on each page seem inconsistent and unpredictable to me. The Spotify app has a lot of flaws (pressing back 15 times just to access the menu for instance) but it feels more consistent in terms of behaviour and available options on each page to me. I mean, in Apple Music, you can't bring up the player and jump straight to the artist page from the currently playing track. How do you overlook stuff like that? I think that option has been in every streaming app I've ever used.

Symphonic

Messed around with it a bunch and... not a complete fan yet. Everything is very sloppy and the differentiation between what you own and what is from Apple Music is nonexistent.

One thing that would help me immensely is if there was a little mark on the albums that are in your "My Music" collection. Browsing through music and not knowing immediately looking at the album art whether or not it's in your collection is not great.

Awesome, thank you!

Messed around with it a bunch and... not a complete fan yet. Everything is very sloppy and the differentiation between what you own and what is from Apple Music is nonexistent.

One thing that would help me immensely is if there was a little mark on the albums that are in your "My Music" collection. Browsing through music and not knowing immediately looking at the album art whether or not it's in your collection is not great.

Pretty much my only complaint right now. Is there a place we can give feedback?

yoplay

I am having issues with my apple id and apple music. Just lost all the songs i saved to my collection after restarting my phone. Smh. Thats some bullshit.

Maximus.

Is this a bug? It says I am following a gorillion people, but I am only following 4 I actually picked; where are the other numbers coming from?

I think follow is broken! Whenever I manually follow someone, it doesn't save most of them. The number of followers keeps changing and inside the the menu, it only shows like 6 names.

Ashhong

Could you clarify what you mean? I see a little phone icon next to the music that I own and put on the phone myself.

AHA-Lambda

Is this available for Windows yet? I've got it for iOS but when I try to download newwest version of iTunes I get 12.1.2 not 12.2? I'm in the UK if it makes a difference.

Could you clarify what you mean? I see a little phone icon next to the music that I own and put on the phone myself.

For example, I own a ton of iTunes music, but none of it is downloaded to my phone. I stream it. There's no UI element to differentiate what I've purchased and what I haven't

In the WISHLISTS OF FEATURES I want to note: let me show only music on my iPhone in terms of artists, but then playlists that are streamed. I don't want to see every album I have - I have a lot - just to see playlists of streamed music. Yes.

For example, I own a ton of iTunes music, but none of it is downloaded to my phone. I stream it. There's no UI element to differentiate what I've purchased and what I haven't

In one of the 8.4 betas there was a little phone icon next to any song you had saved for offline use from iTunes Match. Not sure why they pulled it. Looks like the only option is to flip the toggle for what is available offline and all of your songs stored in iCloud.

Turned on iCloud Music Library and the songs show up. But they are greyed out. It's also not uploading anything.

Don't get it.

Yeah I'm confused too. Turned on iCloud but I don't see any of my purchases in My Music. I see them in the Itunes Store app though. Ughh, fucking frustrating.

In one of the 8.4 betas there was a little phone icon next to any song you had saved for offline use from iTunes Match. Not sure why they pulled it. Looks like the only option is to flip the toggle for what is available offline and all of your songs stored in iCloud.

Right, but I don't want to download them. I like having my music just streamed to me, but I also like having a small icon differentiate what I own and what I don't.

For example:

I own Billy Talent II, but have just added Billy Talent to My Music. But there's no way to see which one I own and which I don't

Shady859

Anyone who doesn't have a CC tied to their iTunes and just uses GCs. Did they ding you for 9.99? Got the new iOS updated on phone but says insufficient funds to start my 3 free month trial. Guess I need to just grab a iTunes card off eBay while they $40 for a $50 card.

Skelter

Banned
I feel dumb for asking but how do I listen to my songs that I have on my iPhone already? Before starting the trial it was just all under my music. Now, no idea.

Ristlager

I feel dumb for asking but how do I listen to my songs that I have on my iPhone already? Before starting the trial it was just all under my music. Now, no idea.

I have a my music tab to the right side on the row on the bottom of the screen. Pressing it reveals all my stored music.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wonder if apple are waiting for server load to settle down before rolling out iTunes? Because once they do that they'll have everyone uploading their music

HUELEN10

Despite the hiccups of the numbers being wrong in followed and the lack of iTunes (seriously, I need it!), I am beyond impressed; for being mere hours old, it has absolutely exceed all already high expectations. I love the fact that apps like Track 8 work flawlessly with it (hint: it has built-in Last FM which, yes, works!), I love how seek it looks compared to the old player, the Siri functionality just works, and need I even go on about how cool Beats 1 is?

No Cupertino didn't invent music, but it sure as hell re-invented it on this day; it's as simple as that.

I need to get some lunch, gonna test how cell-friendly this is!

Right, but I don't want to download them. I like having my music just streamed to me, but I also like having a small icon differentiate what I own and what I don't.

For example:

I own Billy Talent II, but have just added Billy Talent to My Music. But there's no way to see which one I own and which I don't

Gotcha. I read your previous post wrong. Sorry about that. I agree with you that there should be a way to differentiate.

So did we ever get an answer about what the point of iTunes Match is if you subscribe to this service? Is iTunes Match a complete subset of iTunes Music?

EDIT: FINALLY A "PLAY NEXT" BUTTON!!!!!!!!!

HUELEN10

So did we ever get an answer about what the point of iTunes Match is if you subscribe to this service? Is iTunes Match a complete subset of iTunes Music?
Just pretend Apple Music is the Sailor Scouts, and iTunes Match is Sailor Pluto.

She's like 40, the fuck is she doing?

Sorry, I am starving; that's the best analogy I can come up with.

Top Bottom