• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

fixedpoint

Can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance.

So, my wife and I share my iTunes account across our devices.

1) How does family sharing work? Is it a sub account under my email account that is designated to her and her alone or does family sharing simply bind multiple Apple IDs (accounts) together for sharing?

2) If the latter, wouldn't I just continue to sign up for a one member subscription for Apple Music and we continue accessing the service on our respective devices?

Family sharing is a bit weird, but it might just work in your case. It 'tethers' a second (or third) Apple ID to yours; all of your purchases will be available to the other account, and all of their purchases will be charged to your account.

So your wife will also need an Apple ID. You turn on 'Family Sharing' via your iPhone (etc.), confirm things, and send an invitation to your wife's account. After she accepts, you should be good to go!

I'm not sure how simultaneous streaming will work, but if you already share your account anyway it may be worth a shot.

X-Frame

So I can "heart" entire playlists of mine (I assume my entire library if I wanted to)? And that should help with the service giving me better recommendations in the For You tab?

Ambitious

(not my picture)

CIyG_FfUsAAuVno.png

That's just ridiculous. This app is a convoluted mess.

I'm definitely trying to download albums for offline and it's not appearing, it seems to be the case for albums I also have on iTunes match

anyone experience this?

hamchan

Found out just searching "J-pop" and "k-pop" allows you to pick the genre and see all the curated playlists they have for them. A lot of the songs are greyed out and unavailable to stream but it must be available somewhere at least.

"Hey Siri, play Beats 1" doesn't work.

Brav-fucking-o Apple.

My biggest challenge is that my car's sound system doesn't support any of the new features of Apple Music. I can't navigate through my car to Apple Radio stations, nor will my iPhone allow me to add things to up next. That leaves me with having to use Siri, which I'm typically actually a fan of, but the above is a ridiculous oversight.

I'm definitely trying to download albums for offline and it's not appearing, it seems to be the case for albums I also have on iTunes match

anyone experience this?

When you tap 'make available offline' do you see the download bar appear at the top?

Mine was having issues completing downloads earlier today, but it seems to be better now.

Ashhong

Can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance.

So, my wife and I share my iTunes account across our devices.

1) How does family sharing work? Is it a sub account under my email account that is designated to her and her alone or does family sharing simply bind multiple Apple IDs (accounts) together for sharing?

2) If the latter, wouldn't I just continue to sign up for a one member subscription for Apple Music and we continue accessing the service on our respective devices?

If you only pay the 9.99 service, every device you want to listen to it on must use the same Apple ID. The family sharing allows 5 additional Apple IDs to use the service, as well as any movies, music, or apps that you purchase. The downside is that all uses 1 credit card. I wish you could do Family Sharing and choose whether to use the parent credit card or your own.

When you tap 'make available offline' do you see the download bar appear at the top?

Mine was having issues completing downloads earlier today, but it seems to be better now.

it does appear in the download que, but it's not listed. I just dowloaded another album that I didn't have with iTunes match and it's not appearing on the list

Majine

Banned
If you only pay the 9.99 service, every device you want to listen to it on must use the same Apple ID. The family sharing allows 5 additional Apple IDs to use the service, as well as any movies, music, or apps that you purchase. The downside is that all uses 1 credit card. I wish you could do Family Sharing and choose whether to use the parent credit card or your own.
If everyone could use their own credit card, then it's not family sharing. It's just sharing, and everyone would do it.

iMax

You can only listen on one device at a time, too.

Brav-fucking-o Apple.

My biggest challenge is that my car's sound system doesn't support any of the new features of Apple Music. I can't navigate through my car to Apple Radio stations, nor will my iPhone allow me to add things to up next. That leaves me with having to use Siri, which I'm typically actually a fan of, but the above is a ridiculous oversight.

"Play Beats1 on iTunes Radio" should do it. Works for me at least.

hamchan

Found the mandopop category. Pretty happy about that. Helping me to find new artists easily with these curated playlists for sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Right, so now I know why my content is not syncing onto my iPad. 90 day rule. I recently watched some TV shows with my US account on my iPad. Now I am locked out of my UK account for the next 67 days still. I didn't realise that even though I can stream full well any song with my UK Apple Music account, I can't add any songs to my cloud library, and my iPad refuses to show my library. What a weird and messy implementation

wait - if you switch to a different region itunes account on an ipad you can't change back within 90 days? I was going to try the japanese store but not if it'll screw me over.

IcyStorm

Brav-fucking-o Apple.

Just tried it, seems to work for me!

I am loving Beats 1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think if the other members of the family have credit on their accounts, they can make purchases on their account first, rather than from the central credit card account.

So if you wanted to protect your credit card, a combination of all other users using itunes credit, plus requiring permission if they want to buy something (so they can't without your password or by sending a request) then that may be a workable solution?

HUELEN10

Things are going fairly well, except...

XCRXPMo.png

This is the message I get on iTunes when inquiring about a track on a Sonic Rush CD I dumped with XLD myself.

(not my picture)

I love how the designer was just like "fuck it put everything on the action sheet".

Its not an elegant solution but it works. I think icons alongside the labels would have helped recognize options faster but *shrug*

Future

Can external music apps (like care tunes) play playlists that contain music streamed with apple music?

If so.... Damn sorry spotify, I'm out

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I like how I can tell Siri "play the top songs from (insert month here) (insert year here)"

Takes me on a musical time traveling journey, heh.

Anno

Siri integration will definitely be the reason I keep this going after three months, I think. I just impulsively wanted to listen to some ED&JFC, told Siri to play me something and it popped right up, despite not having it on my phone locally or even liked. Might even make me look for CarPlay integration when I start looking for a new car soon.

Maximus.

iCloud Music Library only seems like a good deal if you are worried about internal storage on mobile devices. I currently have decided to not upload my music to iCloud.

Anyone figure out the if there is an issue with the Follow button?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Wow. I just spent over an hour moving one playlist (140 songs) from spotify. Sorry but Apple Music has out done themselves. Glorious!

Servbot24

Banned
iCloud Music Library only seems like a good deal if you are worried about internal storage on mobile devices. I currently have decided to not upload my music to iCloud.

Anyone figure out the if there is an issue with the Follow button?

I tried just to see what would happen and it gave me an error. Doesn't seem too important though so I probably won't bother.

Kaladin

One thing I've always wondered.

How do these services analyze the mp3s you have for their matching system?

Couldn't you technically make a white noise mp3 the same length of the song you want, give it the right meta data and have it match?

Ohwiseone

@ohwiseone is me on the Apple Connect

I like this. It's kinda cool and Beats1 is turning out some really good stuff. Its like a mix between AM/FM and Satellite Radio.

but will Beats1 be the only station? I mean is Beats2 on the way in case Beats1 takes off (which it is)

BTW I love that the DJ's on the Radio station, once their show is over their playlists are already curated and sitting there. That is a cool feature.

Shady859

(not my picture)

That is a 6, I have a 5s and my entire screen is covered. There are 3 sets of options list like that: album, song and currently playing. That is the song options list in your pic which is the longest and luckily only 11 options as I am out of screen. :)

Top Bottom