• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Has anybody successfully played around with uploading music?

I uploaded a track 'successfully' via iTunes/Mac but it still appears greyed out on my iPhone. Tried twice now.

I uploaded another track and deleted the track from my Mac (so it should still be on the cloud) however it remains unplayable in iTunes/Mac - surely if it's in the cloud, it should still be playable.

Mononoke

Banned
You were totally right Huelen. I'm listening to Taylor's album right now for the first time haha.

Beats 1 is better than I could've imagined.

Yep. I totally wasn't 100% on it when it first came out this morning. I thought it was going to be good, but I didn't fully grasp what made it great. Or why some were excited (granted, my phone is Jailbroken, so I could only use it on my iPad. And I also was waiting all day for iTunes to finally update).

But yeah, everything Huelen said was spot on. And that's not even getting into how much more you could get out of this, if you are invested in the apple ecosystem. They 100% nailed this. I'm not going to look back on Spotify after this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I kind of thought maybe people were being a bit hyperbolic. I didn't think this was doing anything much better than Spotify (at first).

But after having an entire day with it, and with Beats 1 live radio, this is def the best music streaming service. The only thing that could make this better (outside refining some of the UI stuff)...is offering a lossless stream option. I would pay more money for that. I know that isn't a priority, as most people don't have the equipment to take advantage of Lossless.

It's the only downside for me so far. But my god, you were right. As a music lover, this is seriously one of the best thing I've ever been able to experience. So happy right now. :)

You were 100% right. I'm sorry for doubting you. I trust you more than ever from now on. :)

trying not to make this sound cynical in a thread dedicated to talking about the new service - but what is fundamentally different from eg Google Music all access? It scans and matches your music and uploads it (on the free tier too), the paid tier has all the on demand streaming, and it has a web player so you can play on any computer without having to install itunes and authorise it.

Has anybody successfully played around with uploading music?

I uploaded a track 'successfully' via iTunes/Mac but it still appears greyed out on my iPhone. Tried twice now.

I uploaded another track and deleted the track from my Mac (so it should still be on the cloud) however it remains unplayable in iTunes/Mac - surely if it's in the cloud, it should still be playable.

It could still be uploading in Itunes, sometimes it does take a while. If not, then close out your music app. That usually works for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've been using iTunes Match ages and it's always been jank as hell.

centracore

I've been using Apple Music on my iPhone since the iOS 8.4 update went live this morning and now that it's available downloaded iTunes 12.2 for Windows. Been running into an oddity, but figured out a workaround so I'll share it here in case anyone else is in the same boat as me.

A majority of the albums I "Added to My Music" on my iPhone, are showing up as incomplete in iTunes (you can tell at a glance if "Show Complete Album" appears):
AJSSAt1.png

Once you click "Show Complete Album" there is an "Add All Songs" option but this doesn't seem to do anything (at least, not for me):
5tB3a3i.png

If you go back to your iDevice and "Remove from My Music" and then "Add to My Music" for the affected albums it should fix them in iTunes:
0nXO2tB.png

hyp

It's finally uploading my songs. Yeah, it has a few hiccups, and it could be days until everything is PERFECT perfect, but this... This is just amazing, my entire, ENTIRE music library, owned, ripped, composed, and rented, all with me, everywhere...

It's amazing, it's like the best thing ever. I don't want to sound like a blind fanboy, but Apple MUSIC is amazing.

how much space is allowed on icloud for storing music? i have a lot of tracks that may not be available on apple music.

lustrate

Ugh. My issue was that there's a setting in preferences that for some reason was unchecked by default. Why on earth would 12.2 have Apple Music hidden by default!?

I've been using Apple Music on my iPhone since the iOS 8.4 update went live this morning and now that it's available downloaded iTunes 12.2 for Windows. Been running into an oddity, but figured out a workaround so I'll share it here in case anyone else is in the same boat as me.

A majority of the albums I "Added to My Music" on my iPhone, are showing up as incomplete in iTunes (you can tell at a glance if "Show Complete Album" appears):
AJSSAt1.png

Once you click "Show Complete Album" there is an "Add All Songs" option but this doesn't seem to do anything (at least, not for me):
5tB3a3i.png

If you go back to your iDevice and "Remove from My Music" and then "Add to My Music" for the affected albums it should fix them in iTunes:
0nXO2tB.png

Where the hell are you seeing this interface? :( All I can do in iTunes is still buy songs and albums :(

Ok, I had to be on the "New" and "For You" tabs to get the new interface to add albums to my collection via iTunes. You can't be on the "iTunes Store" tab. Godawful design on that one.

Mononoke

Banned
trying not to make this sound cynical in a thread dedicated to talking about the new service - but what is fundamentally different from eg Google Music all access? It scans and matches your music and uploads it (on the free tier too), the paid tier has all the on demand streaming, and it has a web player so you can play on any computer without having to install itunes and authorise it.

Beats 1 is live radio. Like actual live radio, meaning actual people curate the content. It's also world wide, meaning everyone is listening to the same thing. As a big fan of radio, this is a big deal. It's not the same as most radio, that has all the content pre-decided and is automated (with the personalities just being there to promote things). So that gives it a big jump over Google and Spotify (if that is something you care about).

As for the rest, it just comes down to whether you already own Apple products, and pay for something like iTunes Match. I wouldn't say that someone should abandon Google is they already have all their library set up on there. I'm just saying as an overall package for apple users, this is a great day for music. You are right, Google allows you to add content without needing to pay.

It could still be uploading in Itunes, sometimes it does take a while. If not, then close out your music app. That usually works for me.

I closed my music app and now it says I need to sign up for an Apple Music trial and it won't even let me sign in. As for iTunes, all the music except locally stored songs are gone (despite me being signed in).

Amazing.

Kammie

OK, I'm trying iTunes.

This is literally amazing, I can add stuff to my library and it shows up among my stuff from my personal collection with the browser view. And I can group everything by genre, modify the genre, modify the album titles to suit my own styling...

This vs Spotify's shitty mega playlists is enough for me to make the switch.

ty_hot

is there any streaming service that has setlists available? I mean, full 60 minutes setlist, from live concerts? (mainly eletronic music)

yoplay

Oh hell yea iTunes update. U can edit the artist info on the songs downloaded. Thats's immense for someone like me who is a stickler for organization. Now I can fix that Baby, Birdman, Birdman & Lil Wayne mess into just Birdman. Or how about those annoying Various Artist sets and actually put them under the artist who is playing the song.

Tabris

So pretty damn impressed so far by it.

Here are my two major complaints:

1) For You doesn't seem to refresh, at least not on iTunes.

2) I want to listen to playlists not by genre but mood. i.e. Sad, Happy, Dance (not the genre), etc.

giga

So pretty damn impressed so far by it.

Here are my two major complaints:

1) For You doesn't seem to refresh, at least not on iTunes.

2) I want to listen to playlists not by genre but mood. i.e. Sad, Happy, Dance (not the genre), etc.

Go to new - > activities.

Tabris

I don't understand why New is named that. I mean that's literally the Apple Music section? Sure the front page is the New songs / albums / etc but the category is confusing.

Kinsella

Banned
Do you get a free trial when you first sign up or is it from today?

Not sure about that. With HBO you had to sign up within the first month to get the full month-long trial. People that did it after only got a week.
I don't understand why New is named that. I mean that's literally the Apple Music section? Sure the front page is the New songs / albums / etc but the category is confusing.

Yeah, the UI is so far up its own ass. It needs someone that wasn't at all involved with the current iteration to take a fresh look at it and do it right.

One thing I hope changes is the related artist bubbles arent interactive. You just see the related artists and cant navigate to their page without searching.

the3ye

Where's asian music in apple music?! :(((

Plus, is there any way to have access to iCloud music library on older, pre iOS8, devices?

jstripes

Banned
Apple Music in Canada has curated radio stations for CanCon.

I'm guessing each of the other countries it launched in has similar stations.

I wish I could access those.

Shauni

So, uh, I got the updated iTunes downloaded for PC, and I started the trial, but I can't stream anything? I select a song and it just...does nothing. Anyone else having this issue? Is just the Beats 1 thing up and not the streaming of individual songs?

Top Bottom