• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Ashhong

I may be stupid, but I can't figure out how to connect to others and follow friends or playlists..

Also wtf, I have an album I physically put on my iPhone, and album that they also have on iTunes, and Apple Music changed the album covers of some songs to match other compilations with those same songs. BOOOO

Jin

Very happy with 8.4 so far. When 8.0 was release my ipod touch 5G turned to shit. After 30 mins of playing everything start to lag. Switching songs, adjusting volume sliders, scrolling through songs - all lag. This problem persist after I had it replace. 8.4 fix a lot of the lag/stutter and the performance seem on par with ios 7.

Shady859

5s view of song options picture from last page for LOL. If you do it from the currently playing screen you only get 6 options and about half the screen.

XnqNjWh.png

iTunes match allows you to store your music, which might not be on iTunes in iCloud so you can listen to it from there. Lots of my old "12 remixes on vinyl, as an example, are not on iTunes. However, I ripped them and uploaded them so that they are in my library in the cloud. Still, the service is probably less attractive now if you can stream most of the iTunes library with Apple Music.

Yes, but I think Apple Music also allows you to store your own music even if it isn't in the Apple catalog. That's the confusing part for me.

Ohwiseone

My girlfriend uses Spotify Religiously.

I am seriously tempted to cancel it and move to this exclusively.

This is pretty awesome, and I hate to say it but its the Beats1 Radio that is doing it.

Ashhong

If everyone could use their own credit card, then it's not family sharing. It's just sharing, and everyone would do it.

That's what I want :(

All good, none of my friends really buy apps or music from iTunes so we are going to go under one person and just pitch in.

Will doing Family Sharing affect our music playlists though? No right? If a child was to purchase an album, would that album automatically show up on my Music as well?

Shepard

Hmm lots of music not available in Brazil through Spotify are available on Apple Music. On the other side, the first albums from Pomplamoose are missing from AM but available through GPM... Will keep looking but seems like a really nice alternative.

This is pretty amazing. I think this is going to be a hit. It seems like Apple's entire catalog from what I could tell (I have not kept up with whether or not some artists have opted out).

X-Frame

I may be stupid, but I can't figure out how to connect to others and follow friends or playlists..

I don't think this is a feature (yet, hopefully). That is a huge reason why I like Spotify because of all the public playlists to subscribe to.

GWX

Pretty much every time I back out of the Music app to go to the home screen, when listening to a song that's being streamed, the animation performance just goes to hell and my iPhone 5s responsiveness goes downhill. I'm not liking it one bit.

iTunes 12.2's scrolling in album view, however, is *finally* as smooth as it should have been since OS X 10.9 (not so much in Artists view, but still).

Majine

Banned
It's not uploading any of my music. As in, it still takes up the same space on my phone. Was that an option to free up all the local music?

HUELEN10

It's finally uploading my songs. Yeah, it has a few hiccups, and it could be days until everything is PERFECT perfect, but this... This is just amazing, my entire, ENTIRE music library, owned, ripped, composed, and rented, all with me, everywhere...

It's amazing, it's like the best thing ever. I don't want to sound like a blind fanboy, but Apple MUSIC is amazing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn, doesn't let me sign into a different itunes account and activate a 3 month trial - says I have to associate my computer with that apple ID to use Apple Music, and if I do, I can't change it back for 90 days.

It was an account in a different region so that might be a trigger. Still annoying.

Yes, but I think Apple Music also allows you to store your own music even if it isn't in the Apple catalog. That's the confusing part for me.

Hmm, if it does that is news to me. I didn't think Apple Music allowed you to upload your own stuff to iCloud. I thought that was iTunes Match only.

Found this description from a CNN article from today:

"Apple Music will scan your existing music library and look for matches in the iTunes catalog. Matching tracks and albums will appear on all your devices as part of the iCloud Music Library, meaning you can stream them anywhere you're logged into Apple Music. It's very similar to Apple's existing iTunes Match feature, though these are not DRM-free.

If you sync you library through Apple Music, do not delete your original music files. This is not a backup method. If you stop paying for Apple Music at any point, you can't just download all the songs onto your computer. However, it will remember them all should you decide to re-subscribe in the future.

Of course, you would already have access to all these songs through Apple Music, but the iCloud Music Library keeps them organized in one view so you can see what you "have," and it saves all your existing playlists. It can match up to 25,000 songs, though there are plans to raise that amount in the future."

Mononoke

Banned
It's finally uploading my songs. Yeah, it has a few hiccups, and it could be days until everything is PERFECT perfect, but this... This is just amazing, my entire, ENTIRE music library, owned, ripped, composed, and rented, all with me, everywhere...

It's amazing, it's like the best thing ever. I don't want to sound like a blind fanboy, but Apple MUSIC is amazing.

I kind of thought maybe people were being a bit hyperbolic. I didn't think this was doing anything much better than Spotify (at first).

But after having an entire day with it, and with Beats 1 live radio, this is def the best music streaming service. The only thing that could make this better (outside refining some of the UI stuff)...is offering a lossless stream option. I would pay more money for that. I know that isn't a priority, as most people don't have the equipment to take advantage of Lossless.

It's the only downside for me so far. But my god, you were right. As a music lover, this is seriously one of the best thing I've ever been able to experience. So happy right now. :)

Oh wow, I totally missed this, and I just posted what I posted too.

XD

You were 100% right. I'm sorry for doubting you. I trust you more than ever from now on. :)

Stupid question but I assume if I delete a song I purchased from my icloud library i can still redownload it later if I want right? There's a bunch I don't want right now.

I updated iTunes to 12.2 on my Macbook, but I can't see any way to "Make Available Offline" or whatever I was doing on my iPhone when I see an album I want. I'm confused.

Phreaker

Found this description from a CNN article from today:

"Apple Music will scan your existing music library and look for matches in the iTunes catalog. Matching tracks and albums will appear on all your devices as part of the iCloud Music Library, meaning you can stream them anywhere you're logged into Apple Music. It's very similar to Apple's existing iTunes Match feature, though these are not DRM-free.

If you sync you library through Apple Music, do not delete your original music files. This is not a backup method. If you stop paying for Apple Music at any point, you can't just download all the songs onto your computer. However, it will remember them all should you decide to re-subscribe in the future.

Of course, you would already have access to all these songs through Apple Music, but the iCloud Music Library keeps them organized in one view so you can see what you "have," and it saves all your existing playlists. It can match up to 25,000 songs, though there are plans to raise that amount in the future."

Hmm, that's very interesting, thanks. I have no idea what I'll end up doing before the free trial is up as an existing iTunes Match customer.

Kemal86

The new music app is lagging the fuck out of my iPad Mini Retina. Keyboard sluggish across apps, big stuttering / page reloads in Safari, stuttering in Tumblr, and playback skips and blips while streaming a song and browsing normal web pages in Safei. Searching for songs in My Music and Apple Music is also super laggy. Not sure what the fuck is up with my iPad >.>

Were you not using iTunes Match before?

giga

I updated iTunes to 12.2 on my Macbook, but I can't see any way to "Make Available Offline" or whatever I was doing on my iPhone when I see an album I want. I'm confused.
Add it to your my music with the three dots. And then go to your my music and click the cloud download button next to the album.

Top Bottom