• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

iTunes UI is laughable, especially Connect.

IMO, itunes is dead by the end of next year, need a ground up Music app for os x.

19124989599_7826e00fd9_b.jpg

18690516973_ac7034674c_b.jpg

IMO, itunes is dead by the end of next year, need a ground up Music app for os x.

IIRC, the rumor leading up to the Apple Music reveal was that Apple wanted to get rid of the iTunes brand and replace it all with Apple Music. So I could totally see a whole new app within a year.

Shauni

Well, the music finally started. That was weird, just kind of started after awhile, seems to be running fine now. Lord a'mercy, people aren't joking about the UI being a mess and a half on iTunes, though. I'll say this, first impression, Spotify is a lot easier to navigate and understand right off the bat. Going to dig around here, though, see what I think.

IIRC, the rumor leading up to the Apple Music reveal was that Apple wanted to get rid of the iTunes brand and replace it all with Apple Music. So I could totally see a whole new app within a year.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if iTunes went away and Apple Music became infused with the OS. Asking Siri to play just about any damned song you can think of and it just happening is, imo, the Apple Music killer feature. That needs to come to OS X along with the rest of Siri in general.

Zia

Yeah, I've been getting lost in it. Literally.

Speaking of getting lost, how does the family sharing thing work? Just signed up... how does the BF connect to my sub?

yoplay

i also lost my collection after my apple id started to act up. It showed up again after I logged out and logged back in. Some bugs than need to be fixed.

The reality is iTunes Match/iCloud Music mixed with Apple Music isn't the harmonious experience Apple claims, not even close

I wish I could just use Apple Music music selection and have my iCloud music be completely separate, I'm thinking of just removing it all from iCloud and moving to some free service like Google Play to store all my local music

The thing that got me installing the update and signing up for the trial without thinking was NIN's The Fragile (instrumental).

UI is a bit weird, but different from what you're used to. Have not had much reason to venture outside of this just yet...

centracore

Am I just blind or is there no way to add albums/songs to your Apple Music library via iTunes?

edit: Never mind, I figured it out.. you have to click on the new tab and then use the search function...

Garou

To my understanding their only purpose is to help "For You" give better recommendations

I just solved this riddle: If you heart songs/albums you add them to your cloud-library (for streaming), but don't download them.
On My Music open the Artists/Albums...-filter menu and deactivate "Show Offline Music" and hearted songs will appear within your library.

Edit: My bad, I mixed up hearted and plus-ed.

Esqueleto

Banned
I won't get to try this till the android app releases so I got a quick question about two albums. Does Liquid Tension Experiment come with 3 minute warning? Spotify doesn't and Google play has it but you need to buy the album. Is LTE 2 incomplete also? It's missing When The Water Breaks and Liquid Dreams unless I buy the whole album also.

barnone

anyone found a comparison of the music selection compared to iTunes and spotify? I notice the Beatles aren't available on apple music, but they are available in iTunes.

subrock

Seems like there are a few regressions in terms of iTunes Match functionality. I'm unable to download some songs because they are "corrupt" but it seems more just like the downloads are failing. I'm glad I have the hard copies on my home machine. Deleting songs is also prone to failure.

Shepard

Runs smoother on Windows than Google Play Music web app, that's for sure.
anyone found a comparison of the music selection compared to iTunes and spotify? I notice the Beatles aren't available on apple music, but they are available in iTunes.

The Beatles aren't available in any streaming service.

Kammie

Well, the music finally started. That was weird, just kind of started after awhile, seems to be running fine now. Lord a'mercy, people aren't joking about the UI being a mess and a half on iTunes, though. I'll say this, first impression, Spotify is a lot easier to navigate and understand right off the bat. Going to dig around here, though, see what I think.
The versatility of iTunes is ten times what you get in Spotify.

Being able to use the iTunes interface is why I'm making the switch. Just being able to group, tag, label my own genres... it's a godsend for finding your music easily. I own over 2000 albums and with this I will easily double that number... so this is great.

At home I run iTunes on an i5 and with an SSD, and it works without a hiccup. It's lightning fast.

Juice

Does Apple Music sync For You across devices? It's asking me to set up recommendations all over again on each device :-(

gimmmick

Probably already has been asked, but is there a way you can disable purchases to other people on your family account?

DNAbro

Not really impressed with it yet. I'll continue to use the free trial but I don't know why I would currently switch from Spotify.

So how do I use the Apple Match-like feature that Apple Music is supposed to have? It would be awesome if I can listen to my desktop library on my phone without adding each artist individually.

The ui is great on iPhone and iPad. It's obvious that their focus was iOS, I'm sure iTunes will be overhauled at some point.

I'm really surprised to see this come from you especially compared to Spotify. Though the service is great, using it on my iPad has not been great. Navigating is extremely tedious compared to the simple nature of Spotify. It's really a larger learning curve than the jump in an straightforward design of Spotify.

Right now, the interface is Spotify's biggest advantage tbh. The Apple Music UI is very confusing and it's easy to get lost and not know how to get out.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm really surprised to see this come from you especially compared to Spotify. Though the service is great, using it on my iPad has not been great. Navigating is extremely tedious compared to the simple nature of Spotify. It's really a larger learning curve than the jump in an straightforward design of Spotify.

Right now, the interface is Spotify's biggest advantage tbh. The Apple Music UI is very confusing and it's easy to get lost and not know how to get out.

Spotify on the phone is good, but I never liked the slidey panels on the iPad app. I think Apple Musics UX is easier to use, the main options are at the bottom and each tab has content clearly laid out. The problem is that AM is trying to pack way more stuff in it than spotify is, I haven't had much of a problem adjusting. What matters for me the most is design and IMO spotify has absolutely nothing on Apple.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Does Apple Music sync For You across devices? It's asking me to set up recommendations all over again on each device :-(

Yep. It syncs perfectly for me. Every time I add a song on my Mac it immediately appears on my iPhone - and vice versa.

ramyeon

I just need some mainstream c-pop, k-pop, j-pop stuff. Japanese version of Apple Music is full of Sony, JVC, Avex artists
There's a fair amount of Korean stuff. A lot of what is available on iTunes is available for streaming, besides some weird omissions from SM Entertainment.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Spotify on the phone is good, but I never liked the slidey panels on the iPad app. I think Apple Musics UX is easier to use, the main options are at the bottom and each tab has content clearly laid out.

Hopefully, apple will give us an option to change between a light and dark theme. Also, I hope Apple will allow us to customize the bottom menu bar, so my own music isn't always on the far right corner.

Anybody having any problems trying so share your playlists across devices and some music will either not download or say that you haven't purchased a particular song/songs?

Top Bottom