• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

iTunes UI is laughable, especially Connect.

IMO, itunes is dead by the end of next year, need a ground up Music app for os x.

iTunes interface is fucking garbage, the Spotify desktop app is miles better. Hopefully it'll get revamped down the line, because it's ridiculous how much better the iOS app is

Sobriquet

I agree that the iTunes UI is kind of a mess. One nitpick: if I search for a song, I should be able to + it to a playlist from the search results. Instead, I have to click on the song, which takes me to the album, and from there I can + it to a playlist.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I keep trying to download the music onto my Mac that I've downloaded on my iPhone (through Apple Music). I click the iCloud logo on the album but nothing is happening. I assume their servers must be getting hammered.

hamchan

iTunes is a mess and is a sharp contrast to the slick iOS apps. Though iTunes has always been bad in general on windows tbh.

RevoDS

I keep trying to download the music onto my Mac that I've downloaded on my iPhone (through iTunes music). I click the iCloud logo on the album but nothing is happening. I assume their servers must be getting hammered.

You've likely just got to click the iCloud logo in the top right corner of the screen first, then click the logo on individual songs/albums. Happened to me this afternoon. Not sure why that's needed though...

Big Blue

I agree that the iTunes UI is kind of a mess. One nitpick: if I search for a song, I should be able to + it to a playlist from the search results. Instead, I have to click on the song, which takes me to the album, and from there I can + it to a playlist.

Not to mention that when I search, I have to click Apple Music and then enter.

Kinsella

Banned

Yeah, as a fan of making playlists, this is some of the stupidest design I've ever seen. Why are they making us dig down that low just to add something to a playlist? If I can find it in search or anywhere else, hitting the 3 dots should offer me the option.

edit: Actually the stupidest design I've still seen in these music apps is Spotify's inability to let me edit my playlists unless I use the webapp, which I hate.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
You've likely just got to click the iCloud logo in the top right corner of the screen first, then click the logo on individual songs/albums. Happened to me this afternoon. Not sure why that's needed though...
Huh. That worked, thanks!

Kaladin

I try to start the iTunes Cloud Music Library thing, but it always gives me a Genius Results Can't Be Updated error.

I think that is what is preventing me from adding Apple Music stuff to My Music.

Kinsella

Banned
anyone found a comparison of the music selection compared to iTunes and spotify? I notice the Beatles aren't available on apple music, but they are available in iTunes.

I've tried to recreate my Spotify playlists on Apple Music and all the songs that are missing from Spotify are missing from Apple Music. Except for ACDC, which I was happy to see on Apple Music, but then I checked Spotify and they were all there now too. It appears to be very similar (most of my stuff is mainstream though, so it could differ greatly on more obscure music).

Finally was able to download the iTunes update and I have to agree, it's completely horrible. I currently don't have the "For You" tab that's suppose to be up there. Any idea's why I don't have one?

Maximus.

The UI does need a bit of work, but it's definitely good. Enjoying the service so far. The only thing I really miss is how Spotify has a ton of playlists.

Kinsella

Banned
The UI does need a bit of work, but it's definitely good. Enjoying the service so far. The only thing I really miss is how Spotify has a ton of playlists.

If you go into the New tab and click on curators, you'll find a ton of playlists. The UI just isn't as good as Spotify's, which is weird to say since Spotify justifiably gets a lot of shit for their UI. Hard to imagine someone came along and made it worse.

For everyone on iOS 9: You can tell Siri to play any song you like, that way you can not only listen to the songs you added to the iCloud Music Library. Still not the full Apple Music experience but that will do until the next update.

There are actually a really good amount in Apple Music, they just don't feature them in a great spot. Go to the "New" tab and scroll about halfway down and you''ll see 3 banners (Apple Music Editors, Activities, and Curators). Buried in each of those is a bunch of playlists.

Luke_Wal

Spotify had a "Top 50 tracks in the [INSERT COUNTRY HERE]" playlist for a buttload of countries, as well as the Billboard Top 100 playlist. Is there any sort of equivalent for Apple Music?

Also, it seems weird to me that the only place to find a radio schedule is Apple Music's Tumblr... Apple should probably hop on that.

Kinsella

Banned
Spotify had a "Top 50 tracks in the [INSERT COUNTRY HERE]" playlist for a buttload of countries, as well as the Billboard Top 100 playlist. Is there any sort of equivalent for Apple Music?

Also, it seems weird to me that the only place to find a radio schedule is Apple Music's Tumblr... Apple should probably hop on that.

Yeah, I love those on Spotify. Can't find anything like that on Apple Music. There's tons of playlists, but nothing like that.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!

It's there, you just have to click on the big Beats One logo on the radio tab.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
iTunes is a mess and is a sharp contrast to the slick iOS apps. Though iTunes has always been bad in general on windows tbh.

iTunes has always secretly been a mess on Macs too, it just wasn't intentionally programmed to be garbage on the platform like it was on Windows. It's hilariously outdated these days from a design perspective so it getting completely replaced next year would be a pleasant surprise. I'm not holding my breath.

Kinsella

Banned
All of a sudden I can't add any songs to My Music. This a known issue with a known fix or is it just a wait for it to fix itself issue?

Took me over an hour to catch up on biw to manage my cloud storage (using the website and pc app, distinguishing differences between sharing and just cloud, moving photos to my computer).

I am dreading diving into new iTunes UI. I remember a time when this all used to be simplistic.

Maximus.

If you go into the New tab and click on curators, you'll find a ton of playlists. The UI just isn't as good as Spotify's, which is weird to say since Spotify justifiably gets a lot of shit for their UI. Hard to imagine someone came along and made it worse.

There are actually a really good amount in Apple Music, they just don't feature them in a great spot. Go to the "New" tab and scroll about halfway down and you''ll see 3 banners (Apple Music Editors, Activities, and Curators). Buried in each of those is a bunch of playlists.

Ah I see it now, thanks guys! I was just listening to the random radio stations in the radio tab, which were doing the job for me, but this is what I was originally looking for!

yoplay

Look I know some people have gripes with the UI and other nitpicks, but we have our very first streaming service that offers full ID Tag customization. U can even mess around with track start and end time. That is nuts! It's incredibly useful on certain tracks where there is a lot of talking (ex. Kanye West - Last Call) or an abundance of noise that ur ears can do without (ex. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute album).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What happened to all of my custom radio stations? I only see my "recent" ones.

Also does "add to my music" charge you? I see it says "Open Itunes page as well", but I wasn't sure if that added it to a favorites list or makes you purchase the song.

Luke_Wal

All of a sudden I can't add any songs to My Music. This a known issue with a known fix or is it just a wait for it to fix itself issue?

Must be a server issue again. This was happening to me earlier, then it worked, now it's spotty again. It should fix itself out.

Kinsella

Banned
Must be a server issue again. This was happening to me earlier, then it worked, now it's spotty again. It should fix itself out.

There was a little cloud with lines in it near the top of iTunes. I clicked it and it disappeared and now my music works again. Weird.

Anyone know what the deal is with random songs in an album/playlist being greyed out? It's pretty rare, and no rhyme or reason as to why, but it's pretty obnoxious.

Kinsella

Banned
For me, I can click the iCloud Library option, but when I go back into Preferences, it is unchecked again. How do I fix this?

I'm on Windows.

I had that issue earlier today on iPad. I had to keep selecting the option over and over until it finally took it. I think it might be a high traffic issue.

Anyone know what the deal is with random songs in an album/playlist being greyed out? It's pretty rare, and no rhyme or reason as to why, but it's pretty obnoxious.

Some songs aren't allowed on the streaming services.

iCloud Music Library + hours of DJ sets / hour long mixes is kinda weird... I'd rather those not be uploaded and just normally synced with my iPhone.

_Zento

Spent 5 minutes trying to sort out following artists and accessing a list of all the artists I've followed. Very disappointed so I'll be going back to Spotify until its sorted out.

Assanova

I like it, but not enough to switch from Google Play All Access yet. The interface is just too difficult to navigate. I like B1Radio, but we will see if the Siri implementation is enough to convince me to switch. Also, the not being able to access my music from any web browser might be a deal breaker for me.

Kaladin

I had that issue earlier today on iPad. I had to keep selecting the option over and over until it finally took it. I think it might be a high traffic issue.

I figured it out on my end....and I think it is a traffic issue. In order for the iCloud Music Library thing to work, you have to have Genius up to date for whatever reason, and every time I try to send the data, the Genius update fails. Every time Genius fails, the iCloud Music Library stops trying to update. I'm just going to wait till tomorrow to add stuff to my music.

Kammie

iTunes is surprisingly buggy and there are a ton of things not accounted for (can add to a playlist with the "..." icon but not right-clicking, can add to the queue by right-clicking but not dragging, etc.) The release was probably rushed and will need some time to be polished, but damn is it terrible by Apple standards.

Perhaps the most disorienting thing so far was understanding that when you add anything to a playlist, it automatically adds it to your library. But if you delete the song from the playlist it still stays in your library. So if you wanna get rid of stuff from playlists permanently you gotta shift-Del it. I only understand how this even works because I've been using iTunes for a decade. Very unintuitive, honestly.

Hopefully as they gather data they will add popularity counters to songs. The main thing I'm missing from Spotify.

Top Bottom