• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Luke_Wal

Pre-Apple Music, if you hit the Star on a song you heard on iTunes radio, it would add it to a playlist, if I remember correctly, called "Liked from Radio" or something. Is there a similar feature with the Heart?

Editor's Note: There's a very real chance I'm just thinking of Spotify, but I feel like there was something similar on iTunes Radio.

dream

Weird. Stuff that I add to my library shows up on my iPad, but not my iPhone (where I really need it). Toggling iCloud Music Library doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea, gigs?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I like it, but not enough to switch from Google Play All Access yet. The interface is just too difficult to navigate. I like B1Radio, but we will see if the Siri implementation is enough to convince me to switch. Also, the not being able to access my music from any web browser might be a deal breaker for me.

I have very similar feelings after using the app on and off throughout the day. I love Google Music because it's so easy to open the app, start music you like and get out. The mood/activity playlists are tons better than Spotify and what I've seen on Apple so far. I'm feeling lucky radio is yet another one of those options where you don't have to think, you just click on it and the service starts a station with music it knows you like.

Overall, I feel like Apple Music has potential but the app design needs major work. Why can't I go to an artist page when I'm listening to one of their songs? It's just very weird and turns me off. Apple can talk bad about algorithms all they want but man, Google has FANTASTIC algorithms. They work very very well. Google mixes that in with their human curated Songza playlists and it just FEELS like a cohesive experience. I really like it. It'll be interesting to see how Apple evolves their service. I love the Siri integration on Apple Music so I WANT it to work.

Anson225

Weird. Stuff that I add to my library shows up on my iPad, but not my iPhone (where I really need it). Toggling iCloud Music Library doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea, gigs?
Tap that little arrow where you can choose between album/artist etc and there's a toggle at the bottom

Shauni

So, is there a way to just type in an artist to make a station for said artist on this via iTunes like you can with Spotify?

great first day, grabbed a bunch o'stuff.

19318466281_11bfa63c3c_c.jpg

Sophia

Confused the living shit out of me as to how to add music on iTunes. Didn't realize the search feature was context sensitive and doesn't search Apple Music if you're on the iTunes store. x_X

The user interface needs a little bit of work, but on the whole I like it. It's a lot more responsive (even with iTunes being a memory hog on Windows) than Spotify. If they could get the UI a bit cleaner, add in a few missing features (can't share song links to Twitter? C'mooon it's 2015), and keep the selection good then I could see myself buying an iPod Touch for on the go.

My only real complaint with the service is something I've always kind of disliked about iTunes. The genres are too broad. They have music from sub-genres, but a lot of the playlists fall under really broad genre definitions.

Ok, so on my phone, if I go to a song, and click "make available offline", there will be a little phone icon in the corner of the song that shows it's downloaded to my phone. Love that.

However, when I click on a playlist, and say "make available offline", there's a phone icon in the corner of the playlist graphic, but not one on each individual song.

Does anyone know why this is?

The visual cues for what songs do and don't live on your device are INCREDIBLY difficult to decipher.

Quasar

Played around a bit. Music Match still seem broken with it screwing up matches. Is there a manual way to unmatch stuff and then force it to upload tracks to the cloud?

Interface needs to be cleaned up a bit. I think. Some features a buried a bit more than I'd like. I really wish the terrible iTunes genre categories were so generic and useless. Recommendations worked surprisingly well given how little it knows about me (I've never actually bought tracks on iTunes).

And I really do think it needs more social stuff like Spotify rather than offloading that all to twitter.

In the end I expect whether I stick around or return to Google Music is just how serious Apple takes the android app.

So, is there a way to just type in an artist to make a station for said artist on this via iTunes like you can with Spotify?

This, kinda (although it will add similar artists to the mix). Spotify did that too though.

Other option... Add a bunch of albums from one artist to My Music. Go to that artist in My Music. Shuffle. That means a big mix of just their stuff.

Spent 5 minutes trying to sort out following artists and accessing a list of all the artists I've followed. Very disappointed so I'll be going back to Spotify until its sorted out.

Yeah. To boot, switching from their connect page to their main page is complicated. I had to double tap some bolded text on their connect feed to get to their main profile page with playlists. How is anyone supposed to figure that out without luck?

My only real complaint with the service is something I've always kind of disliked about iTunes. The genres are too broad. They have music from sub-genres, but a lot of the playlists fall under really broad genre definitions.

I agree with this 100% and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

This is like....super basic. There's no oldies with era's. There's no Synthpop, Electropop, Garage, Nu Disco ,etc...Not even Dancehall, Bashment Party Reggae, Asian (but Bollywood is there weirdly enough), etc.

Quasar

Yeah. That kind burned me right from the start with Apple Music with its whole chosing of genres and artists you like. Of course with some of the genres I would have chosen (J-Pop being one) they have so little content even to buy (unless you have a asian iTunes account) I guess it would not make much difference.

Ashhong

I honestly don't understand where 'hearted' playlists and songs go, this is so confusing.

When you first press heart, it specifically says that it is there to help make recommendations to you. It doesn't go anywhere.

Is there an 8.4 thread or is this it? My wallpaper is messed up and it's super annoying.

Quick

Banned
Signed up for th trial. let's see how this goes.

I've been a Spotify Premium user for a year now, and one of the things I wish was being able to jump back to my own saved music. I could add those as local files, but it doesn't count towards my iTunes play count. Apple Music seems to let me do that.

Vice versa, I've been listening for a few minutes now, and i like Spotify's method of previewing tracks (holding down the song or album) that doesn't seem to be available on Apple Music.

joesmokey

Question regarding the Music app in 8.4: How do I get my old Music icon bar back? Playlist, Artists, Albums, Songs? I don't care about Connect or Radio, I want to listen to my music.

I think I am downgrading back to 8.3.

Yeah, I have my own of nitpicks, but I just deleted Spotify from my all my devices. I will be removing it from my work computer as well.

The library alone, even with all the omissions, is just too good. Plus dat family plan and the hope that it will get much better with feedback...

No brainer for me, really.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have my own of nitpicks, but I just deleted Spotify from my all my devices. I will be removing it from my work computer as well.

The library alone, even with all the omissions, is just too good. Plus dat family plan and the hope that it will get much better with feedback...

No brainer for me, really.

Family plan really is pretty awesome.

aeolustl

This is like....super basic. There's no oldies with era's. There's no Synthpop, Electropop, Garage, Nu Disco ,etc...Not even Dancehall, Bashment Party Reggae, Asian (but Bollywood is there weirdly enough), etc.

Try the playlist under Apple Music Editor in New section.
For pop, they have many playlist. Some like 2006, 1985 hits

billeh

I need public and collaborative playlists so badly. Maybe mood playlists that vary on the time of the day like Spotify/Songza?

Edit: Found some stuff, maybe iTunes just needs a total overhaul.

Ashhong

Question regarding the Music app in 8.4: How do I get my old Music icon bar back? Playlist, Artists, Albums, Songs? I don't care about Connect or Radio, I want to listen to my music.

I think I am downgrading back to 8.3.

There was a way to remove the connect tab. You might have to google I forgot how to do it. On the my music tab also, you can go to Library, and then press on Artist to change it to genre or song or whatever you want.

aeolustl

I need public and collaborative playlists so badly. Maybe mood playlists that vary on the time of the day like Spotify/Songza?

Under New section, there is one part called activities that have those playlist

edit: I just want a playlist that shows what songs you liked

Majora

The more I play with the iOS app the more confused I get. If I select the ellipses for a track while viewing the album page, I get the option to both add it to my music and make it offline. If I select the ellipses on the music player, I just get the option to add it to my music and have to make it offline separately. Why? Why is there no option to go to an artist from the currently playing song? I've used most streaming services in the past - Spotify, rdio, tidal, Google, napster - and that's a basic function on all of them. You get the option to open any song in iTunes Store to purchase it but the app does a terrible job of distinguishing between iTunes purchased tracks and Apple Music tracks. Why can't I follow a curator directly from the playlist they created like I can in Spotify? I have to manually look for the curator in the New section.

A bit disappointed. Trying the Spotify iOS app again, everything links together so much more seamlessly. The biggest Spotify flaw is getting into situations where you have to hit back loads of times to access the menu, which is a big flaw, but I feel like it's just easier to accomplish things in Spotify.

I'll stick with it for three months and hope it gets some updates, but if it's not improved quite a bit I'll probably go back to Spotify when it runs out. Will updates for Apple Music always have to made via iOS updates though? If so that's actually a disadvantage because it'll probably be updated less often.

edit: I just want a playlist that shows what songs you liked

If you go into Playlists in iTunes, add a new Smart Playlist, and use the Loved parameter set to "is true" - this should give you a playlist of all of the individual songs that you clicked the heart for.

aeolustl

If you go into Playlists in iTunes, add a new Smart Playlist, and use the Loved parameter set to "is true" - this should give you a playlist of all of the individual songs that you clicked the heart for.

Oh wow. Thank you. Did not know they added this function.
btw, can you still dislike the song?

I don't see a "Loved" parameter.

I'd really like to make this playlist.

Click the drop-down that defaults to "Artist" - the drop-down should contain an option called "Loved." After selecting "Loved," set the second drop-down to "is true" (this should be the default). Then click OK to save the playlist. This is all in Windows, I don't have access to a Mac, but I'd assume the process is similar.

btw, can you still dislike the song?

Not that I've been able to find.

Spotify has a variety of playlists catering to mood and region. I was able to create my own and share them easily by browsing depending on those initial playlists.

I couldn't work out how to do that on Apple Music's confusing layout and shitty playlists.

I've turned it off.

dream

Crap, I'm starting to run into albums that are available on Google, but not Apple Music. It's not even obscure stuff. One of them is Ingrid Michaelson's Lights Out (shut up, she's adorable).

Vyer

Radio stations, yeah. But the Playlists themselves (under New - Curated for example) get detailed a little more at least.

Hopefully this continues to expand.

what do we think so far guys?

I think it's a no-brainier if you have an iOS device. The OS integration is great, and to me it's a slight edge in almost every category over other services. Not without its issues, but very positive on the whole. Beats 1 was the real surprise. Expected little from it and I am loving it.

Where is this on the iOS app?

Go to the New tab and scroll down.

Meowster

what do we think so far guys?
I've used Spotify for years and, for me, this works much better because it is easier to keep track of my local files and stream them. Spotify has had this nasty bug where it would stop loading local files after a certain size limit and that is still unfixed AFAIK. Being able to search and easily find my music has made this so much simpler to me. They have a lot of UI work to still so but on the whole, I'm optimistic about it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is iTunes 12.2 out for Windows yet? Whenever I try to update it just keeps me at 12.1.

Partition

Banned
Even after one day playing with this I'm sold. I had no intention of using Apple Music past the 3 month trial but I think now I will be paying for it when Apple comes to collect. Deleting Spotify.

Sobriquet

Yeah. "Indie" could be divided into more genres. I just want an indie rock station. I skipped nearly everything on their "A-List"

Nice.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
"Guys, you can have the entire iTunes library if you sign up!"

Signs up

"Sorry, you do not have access to the entire library."

Truly, the Peter Molyneux of music streaming services.

Apple Music is a convoluted mess. Go for the three month free sub, then quit it.

"It's so bad that you should spend three months using it."

Good logic.

"Guys, you can have the entire iTunes library if you sign up!"

Signs up

"Sorry, you do not have access to the entire library."

Truly, the Peter Molyneux of music streaming services.

I don't think Apple ever outright said you'd get the entire iTunes library, but I could be wrong.

Protome

The navigation on the app doesn't seem as straightforward as Google Music but at least it's better than Spotify.
I'll probably switch back to Google after the 3 months depending on updates.

Top Bottom