• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

RedShift

Just spent ages making a playlist on my iPad, and it isn't showing up on my iPhone.

Am I missing something or is iCloud just getting hammered?

"Guys, you can have the entire iTunes library if you sign up!"

Signs up

"Sorry, you do not have access to the entire library."

Truly, the Peter Molyneux of music streaming services.

They themselves never promised that. The wording they always used was "Apple Music library," not "iTunes Library". Other publications misreported it

It's not as focused as I had hoped as far as the UI but I do like that there's so much to do, listening to music you want, checking out playlists, making playlists, radio, live radio, etc.

If the only thing Spotify has is some playlists, I think Apple can fix that up easy. UI navigation will take time. Hopefully iOS 9 can improve some stuff. Oh yeah, iTunes is laughable

All in all I'm satisfied, especially after uploading my Beatles CDs. Now i just gotta get some soundtracks up there and it's everything you wanted as far as music.

Protome

I will say, the curated playlists seem great so far. Much better than Google's generated ones for the most part. I find that most of the time I listen to a google playlist I'm skipping tons of songs (and removing them from the queue) whereas on Apple Music so far I've never had to.

Sobriquet

What I really miss from Spotify is "similar artists." Most of the bands I fell in love with over the last couple of years have been through that handy button.

Protome

What I really miss from Spotify is "similar artists." Most of the bands I fell in love with over the last couple of years have been through that handy button.

It's in there, it's just buried slightly and the artist names aren't actually links to their pages so you need to then go and search for them. Because reasons.

On the app
Go to an artist -> Tap on their name which overlaps their picture (which isn't easy noticeable as a link...)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
J-pop playlist fail. First one I tried had 3 songs in it. Whats the point?

probably a stupid question, but how do I get a simple 'now playing' screen when I'm listening to a playlist in itunes? All I can seem to do is pop out the mini player or have it in the top bar of itunes.

MrGerbils

I'm super deeply invested in to Spotify because of two features:

1) all my friends and my fav music blogs have profiles and great playlists set up. I love seeing what drowned in sound or Kitsune is listening to in real time.

2) checking out what my friends are in to has let me build some amazing playlists. I don't like automated or even human curated shit. I have my own playlists for morning, parties, running, working, etc.

If I can't see my friends playlists or import my existing playlists, there's no way I'm ever switching.

I don't care about radio or live DJs or iTunes match. I care about streaming and they missed the two most important features.

Protome

1) all my friends and my fav music blogs have profiles and great playlists set up. I love seeing what drowned in sound or Kitsune is listening to in real time.

2) checking out what my friends are in to has let me build some amazing playlists. I don't like automated or even human curated shit. I have my own playlists for morning, parties, running, working, etc.

If I can't see my friends playlists or import my existing playlists, there's no way I'm ever switching.

I don't care about radio or live DJs or iTunes match. I care about streaming and they missed the two most important features.

Friends playlists are the one thing I miss from Spotify. Google Music has the functionality for making and sharing playlists but then not actual interface or friend hooks to see them without your friend manually sending them to you which is trash.

Sobriquet

It's in there, it's just buried slightly and the artist names aren't actually links to their pages so you need to then go and search for them. Because reasons.

On the app
Go to an artist -> Tap on their name which overlaps their picture (which isn't easy noticeable as a link...)
Wow, thank you

edit: holy shit I can't believe I can't just click on the artist

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so last night I installed itunes 12.2 and it started uploading my songs, but I had to shut the computer down. This morning I just started itunes up, and the spinning circle isn't there. How can I tell if my songs are being uploaded?

i went into mymusic/songs view and added the 'icloud status' column and sorted by it. I have about 1/3 of my music as 'waiting' and nothing seems to be happening with it.

I also have about 50 songs marked as 'ineligible' - what does that mean? It has picked up some audiobook stuff, but also 5 beatles tracks and some ZARD.

edit: ok, so for itunes match, ineligible suggests the file may be too large, or too low bitrate. Some is purchased music by my wife, but she authorised this computer so I would expect that to upload?

I restarted the upload via file/library/update icloud library

Ashhong

What will you do if your friends and blogs start using Apple music instead?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I don't think I'll give up Spotify just yet, I like to see friends' playlists and there's quite a lot of music on Spotify that's not on Apple Music yet.

is there a FAQ for this? i feel like it shouldn't be all that difficult to use but by golly, itunes is crazy convoluted.
all of my music is doubled up now and almost all of it has a cloud with a ! in the middle, which says error. i have my music on a NAS, is that the problem? or is it just that the servers are getting hammered and so uploading/matching is taking a while?

The more I play with the app the more bloated and frustrating I find it.

Integration with my own music is kind of a joke. If I pick Toro Y Moi, why can't I see both my music and stuff that I haven't seen? I have to actively search for Toro Y Moi to get all that. Lame.

Xrenity

So, on iOS, I tap the plus-icon, which would add it to my library I think? It turns into a checkmark. However, sometimes it just turns back into a plus, and it almost never actually shows up in my library.

What up?

/edit
also won't save songs to playlists. What a mess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well that kinda sucks. I was hoping to try it out with their Android app. Guess I'll have to try it on the iPad, but the experience won't be the same as my usage in the car.

I'm trying it on my ipad, then when the android client comes out I might just make a new appleID just to test if the android version is any good, then if I decide to subscribe I'll revert back to my normal one.

mitheor

Do you know if there is any way to add songs to "my music" while on radio (Beats1)?

It knows the song it´s playing but it does nothing when i try to add it.

Tried it only via iTunes.

pswii60

Not overly impressed to be honest. With all the noise about the size of the music library, it actually has less of what I want than Spotify does. There are key albums missing that I like that are on Spotify.

It's fine if you're just in to 'popular music', but if you're in to anything non-commercial - electronic music, house etc, then it's severely lacking. No Bargrooves, Hed Kandi, Z Records, Defected, Ministry of Sound etc etc - and then there are other compilations albums which just have tons of tracks missing. That's fine while it's free, but I certainly won't be paying £9.99/month for it. I suppose it just depends on your music tastes. But this is why I still don't pay for music streaming services.

The advantage it does have over Spotify is the integration - I do like the way you can quickly add albums to your library - although these don't show up in the car which sucks. I seems that the iPhone doesn't include Apple Music albums from your library when pushing the data - not sure if this is by design / pressure from the labels / bug with future firmware update. Haven't tried to see if they work when 'made available offline' but then that kind of misses the whole point of a streaming service.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you know if there is any way to add songs to "my music" while on radio (Beats1)?

ellipsis next to the music playing, +add to my music

Nice iCloud music library just kicked in and downloaded 500MB over mobile.

how do you stop it from downloading stuff? I don't want it to download anything - it can stream and cache if it wants

9ptcfFP.png

But it's not working for me right now. In fact, whenever I try to add a song to My Music, it boots me out of iCloud Music Library and I gotta resync

Can I upgrade to a family subscription later and what are the requirements for a family subscription?
Can we use separate playlists per account?
Will the service react if one user is living 300 km from the other users?

S¡mon

Banned
As a Spotify user, a few things I noticed:

1) Music doesn't play instantly, there's always a little delay
On Spotify, it *always* feels instant - even if you didnt download your music for offline use.

2) Curated playlists equal to Spotify
Apple Music's playlists aren't necessarily better than Spotify's. It's basically equal.

3) Missing friends' and strangers' playlists
Of course it's only just launched, so this might change. But the amount of playlists on Spotify is amazing. I can check out any playlists from my friends. And if I am looking for music, it's very easy to find other people's playlists.

4) Music library smaller?
Not sure on this one, but I've already encountered a few albums with greyed out songs.

5) Apple Music UI loads faster than Spotify's, yet I feel like Spotify's UI is easier for discovery of music and more seamless to use.

An (unfair?) advantage of Apple Music is, of course, that it is tightly integrated with iOS and Siri. I'm sure it will win over some customers from Spotify, but I think a fair amount of Spotify uses who try out Apple Music.. will stick with Spotify.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know, but that option is doing nothing while on radio (if i´m streaming an album for example it works perfectly fine).

Edit. Ok, could be a temporary issue.

I think maybe not all songs have that? it seems a bit silly to play songs that can't be added to my music - you'd think Apple would try and filter those so beats plays stuff you can add.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I upgrade to a family subscription later and what are the requirements for a family subscription?
Can we use separate playlists per account?
Will the service react if one user is living 300 km from the other users?

1 - don't know
2 - yes, you have different apple IDs so completely separate.
3 - doesn't matter. The only thing you have to be comfortable with is that everything connects to a single credit card. So eg you have the credit card on account and are the manager of the family sharing account. You invite others and they can download anything you've purchased, and can also buy their own stuff using your credit card. You can put safeguards on that - eg for my kids they have to request to buy something which pops up as a notification on my ipad, so they can't spend money without me knowing.

hidys

S¡mon;170543005 said:
As a Spotify user, a few things I noticed:

1) Music doesn't play instantly, there's always a little delay
On Spotify, it *always* feels instant - even if you didnt download your music for offline use.

2) Curated playlists equal to Spotify
Apple Music's playlists aren't necessarily better than Spotify's. It's basically equal.

3) Missing friends' and strangers' playlists
Of course it's only just launched, so this might change. But the amount of playlists on Spotify is amazing. I can check out any playlists from my friends. And if I am looking for music, it's very easy to find other people's playlists.

4) Music library smaller?
Not sure on this one, but I've already encountered a few albums with greyed out songs.

5) Apple Music UI loads faster than Spotify's, yet I feel like Spotify's UI is easier for discovery of music and more seamless to use.

An (unfair?) advantage of Apple Music is, of course, that it is tightly integrated with iOS and Siri. I'm sure it will win over some customers from Spotify, but I think a fair amount of Spotify uses who try out Apple Music.. will stick with Spotify.

This summarizes my feelings as well. I'm not sure of the greyed out songs are because I am Australian or if that is the case for everyone but the library gaps are a massive downer and force me to stick with Spotify.

ellipsis next to the music playing, +add to my music

how do you stop it from downloading stuff? I don't want it to download anything - it can stream and cache if it wants
It will download it only if you marked an artist to be available offline, which is what happened in my case.

Marked an artist to be available offline -> upload files -> it will download them if you have "use mobile data" activated.

So I just updated my iPhone and started Music. I am not a fan of the interface. I think Spotifys interface is much better, especially the social aspect of it. Maybe it is because of habit but I find Musics interface limiting. Will Apple share the API so third party services and apps can use it?

1 - don't know
2 - yes, you have different apple IDs so completely separate.
3 - doesn't matter. The only thing you have to be comfortable with is that everything connects to a single credit card. So eg you have the credit card on account and are the manager of the family sharing account. You invite others and they can download anything you've purchased, and can also buy their own stuff using your credit card. You can put safeguards on that - eg for my kids they have to request to buy something which pops up as a notification on my ipad, so they can't spend money without me knowing.

You cant have to "master" accounts?
I was considering sharing Apple Music with my brother and his family but he and me has our own apps and such that we probably dont want to lose access to

Why are some of the songs on curated playlists greyed out?

probably not available in your region

there is something similar on Spotify

neshcom

Banned
Went to go make a "Loved" smart playlist (because c'mon, how is that not something you can get on mobile) and ran into a weird scenario of only being able to play music on one device at a time. Accidentally started a playlist and my phone right next to me killed the audio and gave me a popup abot playing on another device. Only seemed to affect Apple Music Library tracks, not any of my iTunes Match songs.

Majora

Playlists I make in the iOS app don't seem to appear in desktop iTunes, and vice versa.

Similarly, albums I've added to my library in iOS don't appear in iTunes. All I can see in iTunes is my purchased tracks.

Am I missing some kind of setting? Honestly, I'm finding this whole thing tiresome and convoluted. Spotify 'just works' way better than this.

Majora

Went to go make a "Loved" smart playlist (because c'mon, how is that not something you can get on mobile) and ran into a weird scenario of only being able to play music on one device at a time. Accidentally started a playlist and my phone right next to me killed the audio and gave me a popup abot playing on another device. Only seemed to affect Apple Music Library tracks, not any of my iTunes Match songs.

This is pretty standard. Spotify does the same.

Top Bottom