• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Playlists I make in the iOS app don't seem to appear in desktop iTunes, and vice versa.

Similarly, albums I've added to my library in iOS don't appear in iTunes. All I can see in iTunes is my purchased tracks.

Am I missing some kind of setting? Honestly, I'm finding this whole thing tiresome and convoluted. Spotify 'just works' way better than this.

Go into Music settings on iOS and make sure that iCloud Music Library is turned on. Same in iTunes (Preferences -> check box for iCloud Music Library)

Enco

1. The app is slow to open
2. Songs are slow to start compared to spotify
3. The UI is convoluted and the Spotify app is simpler
4. The app lags my whole phone for a few seconds after closing it
5. I was recreating my first playlist from Spotify and there are already several things not in the library
6. No shared user playlists as far as I can tell
7. Starring/hearting things doesn't seem like a great system as it is. It should be more like Spotify where a starred/hearted song gets put into a new playlist

So far I'm disappointed. I dislike Spotify as a company and wanted to change but this is in no way competitive right now. We'll see at the end of 3 months.

AHA-Lambda

Just started to use it, but it will take a bit of getting used to?

Is there no way to create a favourites playlist? I assume that's what the heart is for but I can't find anything?

Also, is there no easy way to go from a song screen to the album or artist page?

1. The app is slow to open
2. Songs are slow to start compared to spotify
3. The UI is convoluted and the Spotify app is simpler
4. The app lags my whole phone for a few seconds after closing it
5. I was recreating my first playlist from Spotify and there are already several things not in the library
6. No shared user playlists as far as I can tell

So far I'm disappointed. I dislike Spotify as a company and wanted to change but this is in no way competitive right now. We'll see at the end of 3 months.

The app lags phones because it takes up SOOOO much RAM. If I'm listening to something in Music, Safari can't even support a single page without having to reload it

the3ye

transferring music to icloud library is terrible for me.
3/4 of my stuff transferred with lots of greyed tracks, with wrong tags, and completely different covers...

Elaniel

Neo Member
Has anyone noticed if you already own tracks on an album and then add a different album by the same artist (which contains the same song) to My Music, the duplicate songs will not download to the new album.
There also seems no way to force them to download.
I even noticed on some albums, it added those songs to the previously owned album (as duplicates).

IE:
I own the album:
Sarah Mclachlan - Surfacing

I get her greatest hits through Apple Music.
The three tracks which appear from Surfacing do not appear on the Greatest Hits, but duplicate on Surfacing.

Enco

The app lags phones because it takes up SOOOO much RAM. If I'm listening to something in Music, Safari can't even support a single page without having to reload it
Yea definitely seems like it has some RAM issues.

Very frustrating on 1GB phones.

Oh and another annoyance is the whole star/heart stuff. It should work like Spotify where starred songs go into their own playlists.

Has anyone noticed if you already own tracks on an album and then add a different album by the same artist (which contains the same song) to My Music, the duplicate songs will not download to the new album.
There also seems no way to force them to download.
I even noticed on some albums, it added those songs to the previously owned album (as duplicates).

IE:
I own the album:
Sarah Mclachlan - Surfacing

I get her greatest hits through Apple Music.
The three tracks which appear from Surfacing do not appear on the Greatest Hits, but duplicate on Surfacing.

This is definitely a problem with how Apple handles music on their backend. I recently contacted iTunes support for a similar problem

Basically, I owned Fall Out Boy's "Dance, Dance" song from whatever album it first appeared on. iTunes gave me the option to "Complete My Album" for their Greatest Hits album, which I thought was great. But when I did that, it gave me every song from the Greatest Hits except "Dance, Dance", which stayed as its own thing in the other album. I was able to get it resolved, but it seems like their system recognizes that the same song exists in different albums, but doesn't do anything about it

Fliesen

the fact that a tap-to-hold reveals this mess of a menu
W2s7Qn9.png

and the fact that one out of 5 tabs is a feature i don't care about. (@Connect), and i'm not so sure about the "For you" recommendations.

and the fact that within "new", it's hard to tell at first, what text labels are clickable (spoilers: they all are) makes the UI feel very cluttered.

Apple's so hell bent on not following the trend of the "side panel" navigation like so man other apps that their apps are limited to those 5 tabs on the bottom and everything else layers upon layers upon layers. - "New" is pretty much their entire curated marketplace crammed into one big panel; meanwhile, Radio is one HUGE BLACK BOX of "beats radio, always on", followed by really, REALLY tacky looking radio stations.
It's charts, it's new albums, it's browsing genres, it's curated playlists, it's music viddeos.

New -> "All Genres" -> "Pop" -> "Hot Tracks"

sometimes there is a back button, sometimes there isn't.
I like the fact that there's a "search" button at all times, not so sure why i need this "account" button at such a prominent position. - that should be within the Settings app, imho.

What will essentially make it my go-to streaming app will be the music selection and native app integration, but the actual music playing app needs some work done, still.

Elaniel

Neo Member
I've now tried deleting the entire album Surfacing and add it back on after the entire Greatest Hits has downloaded.

It will not let me download anything but the tracks that are not on the Greatest Hits. So it wants me to have an incomplete album. WTF! The other songs simply do not appear.

EDIT: I notice on my iPhone there's a button for the album that says "Show Complete Album" and it's all there.
However, iTunes does not have the same option.

neshcom

Banned
1. The app is slow to open.

By far the biggest offender so far. Slow to open, slow to fade from the multitasking image. Even little things like needing to sit through the "Added to Library" toast are feeling like they're holding me back.

Btw, it seems like you can share a playlist to social media, but it will only include iTunes Matched/Apple Music tracks. Though, in testing this, it removed that playlist from my cloud and iTunes says it's because it mixes stuff from outside my iCloud Library. So long daily driver playlist...

Quasar

Well after fighting with iTunes for a few hours to sync my library properly I've given up. Either tracks fail to upload (giving me a generic error in the cloud status for the track) or tracks are matched with things that are totally wrong.

So frustrating. Especially after the 'it just works' nature of Google Play Music.

f@luS

More than a member.
Is there any way to stream music from his to a playstation 4? It has spotify.... But this ?

ducksauce

The more I play around with this, the more I notice missing songs that were on Spotify. Some of it was even on Beats Music but I guess for some reason didn't get transfer over to Apple Music.

Most recently noticed the new Chemical Brothers and Tame Impala singles were missing.

I've now tried deleting the entire album Surfacing and add it back on after the entire Greatest Hits has downloaded.

It will not let me download anything but the tracks that are not on the Greatest Hits. So it wants me to have an incomplete album. WTF! The other songs simply do not appear.

EDIT: I notice on my iPhone there's a button for the album that says "Show Complete Album" and it's all there.
However, iTunes does not have the same option.

God, this album thing is going to piss me off too, I just know it

Sometimes the same song appears on different albums, Apple. It's okay.

kiguel182

All of these complains about interface are bumming out since that was the thing I was hoping Apple fixed compared to Spotify.

If only Rdio had gapless playback... There interface is just so good.

Mafro

Finally managed to update iTunes on my Mac. Couldn't force the update in the actual app and it wasn't showing in the updates bit in the app store so had to download and install it manually from the website.

The design of the Connect section is hilarious, they haven't even bothered with the layout or anything. Literally just centered the cards int he middle of the screen.

Protome

All of these complains about interface are bumming out since that was the thing I was hoping Apple fixed compared to Spotify.

Have you tried Google Music?
It has some niggles too, but the interface is leagues ahead of the competition.

Dany

Banned

The desktop client is worse than spotify imo. Really bad, and thats saying something.

kiguel182

Have you tried Google Music?
It has some niggles too, but the interface is leagues ahead of the competition.

I haven't yet. Mostly because I have the impression that releases don't always appear there at the same time as Rdio and Spotify.

The desktop client is worse than spotify imo. Really bad, and thats saying something.

Given how bad Spotify is that is just awful. Specially coming from a company like Apple that puts interface as their top priority. That was the one thing that I was trusting them to nail. Really disappointing.

Ninja Dom

Yea definitely seems like it has some RAM issues.

Very frustrating on 1GB phones.

Oh and another annoyance is the whole star/heart stuff. It should work like Spotify where starred songs go into their own playlists.

Is it now worth downloading songs to the iPhone for off line listening? To ease performance?

Ninja Dom

Tomorrow on Beats 1, Zane Lowe is interviewing Eminem. What if I miss it? Is there a way to listen to the interview somewhere within Apple Music afterwards?

And any word on a Beats 2 radio station? 😝

Majora

I can't believe how bad the Desktop app is. It's so hard to navigate. It makes Spotify look like a work of art. I'm so used just being able to click on artists name and album names in the Spotify app and being taken straight to that artist/album. None of that in iTunes, accomplishing anything is just so damn tiresome.

If Apple were hoping to pull in a load of people new to streaming, I think they've fucked it up personally. I've been using streaming services for years and I don't think I've used one with a more confusing, overwhelming interface. Someone like my mum would be utterly baffled.

Really disappointed as I was looking forward to this and the curation is good. But the desktop app is absolutely a dealbreaker considering I do like 50-60% of my streaming at work. The iOS app is tolerable but still confusing.

Lynn616

Not overly impressed to be honest. With all the noise about the size of the music library, it actually has less of what I want than Spotify does. There are key albums missing that I like that are on Spotify.

Seems less to me too. No Prince and my daughter said most of her K-Pop is missing.

Robin64

So why is "Listen to Apple Music radio stations" available with limited skipping for free users but with unlimited skipping available to members in the US, but here in the UK it's nothing for free users and limited skipping for paying users? Apple stuff outside the US is just getting less appealing all the time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I just updated my iPhone and started Music. I am not a fan of the interface. I think Spotifys interface is much better, especially the social aspect of it. Maybe it is because of habit but I find Musics interface limiting. Will Apple share the API so third party services and apps can use it?

You cant have to "master" accounts?
I was considering sharing Apple Music with my brother and his family but he and me has our own apps and such that we probably dont want to lose access to

You can still buy and have your own apps, but I think they might need credit on their account for that, otherwise it'll pull from your credit card. And they can always download and see your purchases (I think you can see theirs too)

Seems less to me too. No Prince and my daughter said most of her K-Pop is missing.

No Prince? Damn, that's more music eliminated from my catalog. WTF? I thought they were touting their immense library. Guess I'm keeping Spotify for now, I really wanted to get rid of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So why is "Listen to Apple Music radio stations" available with limited skipping for free users but with unlimited skipping available to members in the US, but here in the UK it's nothing for free users and limited skipping for paying users? Apple stuff outside the US is just getting less appealing all the time.

seems unlimited skips here (UK, paid/trial user)? It plays a non-skippable interstitial every 3-4 tracks though (ready for advertising Apple?)

The UI definitely needs some work, on both iTunes and the phone, and I've definitely noticed my phone running laggy whilst it's on. That should get ironed out, though. Simple stuff like adding to a playlist is more complicated than it should be.

But I love the carry-overs from Beats Music (playlists/curators/"for you").

Overall impressed, as long as they keep iterating and making it better.

Bumhead

Banned
Must admit I actually really like the UI (On iPhone). Found it pretty straight forward to use so far. Finding artists and tracks, then adding them to my library has been a really simple process.

My only complaint is that it's just a little unresponsive and laggy feeling at times. I'm using an iPhone 5 so just assumed that the newer updates were eventually going to slow it down anyway. I'm actually due an upgrade so was going to order a 6. Are people with 6/6+ still noticing unresponsiveness or lag?

Must admit I actually really like the UI (On iPhone). Found it pretty straight forward to use so far. Finding artists and tracks, then adding them to my library has been a really simple process.

My only complaint is that it's just a little unresponsive and laggy feeling at times. I'm using an iPhone 5 so just assumed that the newer updates were eventually going to slow it down anyway. I'm actually due an upgrade so was going to order a 6. Are people with 6/6+ still noticing unresponsiveness or lag?

Massively so. My phone was almost unusable yesterday. And I even reformatted the thing before updating to 8.4.

Elements within the app itself have been working a lot smoother today, so I'm guessing it will improve as we go on.

lewisgone

Liking this a lot so far. So much more convenient than Spotify (being in my phone's music app, that is), could easily see myself carrying on with this after September. I hope they announce a student price point but it's still okay pricing for the amount I'll be using this. Struggled for half an hour stupidly on my phone just now because it was only displaying offline songs, and it took me way too long to realise that. I was a little overwhelmed by options at the start but getting the hang of things now. It's odd you can't love songs that are playing on Beats 1.

Yesterday I couldn't access Beats 1 for a while for some reason, and every time I tried to stream it it lagged my entire phone (iPhone 6) pretty severely. It was the first time I'd ever had system-wide lag on an iPhone like that. Seems okay now though.

Burger

I don't have any issues with the iPhone app but the iPad version is fucked. Loads of lag, hitching during scrolling, etc on the best iPad you can buy, the Air 2.

On the iPad for most artists you get a nice Bio with a large list of similar artists. Where is this on the iPhone? It's weird that when you tap one of these 'similar artists' it doesn't take you to their page though? Why?

Holy Shit, this will just be 2$ in India

http://qz.com/442296

In the US, Apple is charging monthly fees of $10 for an individual Apple Music account, and $15 for a family account that can be shared with up to six people. In poorer countries, the pricing is much lower. In India, for example, the monthly fee is $2 for individual and $3 for family plans.

I might actually sign up for this now.

Question. I'm clicking the + and it's giving me a tick and saying added to my music, but when I go into my music it isn't there. Any thoughts?

Swag

So when I click on Beats 1 this is all I get, doesn't play anything, but all of the other radio stations work.

9ocVOWn.png

Burger

Upgraded iTunes this morning, enabled iCloud Music Library and what I see on my phone is a right shambles. Album art looks completely random.

An album from Filter shows up with a Pink Floyd cover, and shuffling through the songs I get album art from the Flaming Lips, Pulp, Gorillaz. I'll have to check my Mac when I get home but if Apple have screwed that up I'll be cross. Sounds like other people are having all their metadata completely jumbled as well. If there is one rule Apple need to follow, it's "Don't fuck with peoples libraries."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tried setting up a Japanese trial using my wife's itunes account and her laptop. Selection is really poor, for the old stuff my wife listens to. They have plenty in the itunes store, but when searching for apple music compatible artists, the only stuff that comes up is music box instrumental versions. Basically useless for her and no better than the US/UK store. Oddly selecting something like the 'pre party Jpop' playlist/radio station, it has songs from B'z etc on the list but they are greyed out. Makes no sense - why woudl you even generate a streaming playlist that contains music that cannot stream?

also itunes generally is a PITA for searching. All the main searching 'related songs' in my music etc are geared around finding results from the store, and there is no way to simply play a song from there - you have to go to the my music tab, then search and select 'apple music' from the search tab. Very limited, and I can't see any easy way to browse - I would have expected the streaming to simply be integrated into the store.

Top Bottom