• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

SuperPac

Signed up for the family membership and set my wife up with the iOS update last night. She chose a couple favorite artists and favorite genres. She will often listen to the same playlist morning after morning and never mix things up because she (like me) doesn't take the time to manage iTunes. This morning she picked one of their recommended playlists and is loving it. Neither of us got into Spotify much, but this is pretty perfect. I even set my daughter up on it (she's 3) and added a couple Disney playlists to her collection.

Assanova

I haven't yet. Mostly because I have the impression that releases don't always appear there at the same time as Rdio and Spotify.

Given how bad Spotify is that is just awful. Specially coming from a company like Apple that puts interface as their top priority. That was the one thing that I was trusting them to nail. Really disappointing.

I have always been able to get new albums on day 1 with Google Music.

Robin64

seems unlimited skips here (UK, paid/trial user)? It plays a non-skippable interstitial every 3-4 tracks though (ready for advertising Apple?)

Sorry, I meant unlimited skipping.

But there's no limited skipping option for free users, like America has. Baffling.

What albums out of curiosity?

The entire Prince catalog, for one. I'm also missing some deadmau5 albums (e.g. 4x4=12), some Kate Bush (e.g. Hounds of Love, The Dreaming), and many albums from more obscure artists like Erik Wollo, Igneous Flame, etc.
And I've only looked through about 1/3rd of my catalog, I'm afraid I'll find more.

I mean, Prince, deadmu5 and Kate Bush - those are pretty big artists. I'm sure they're still in the licensing process, but they have some ways to go.

Bumhead

Banned
The entire Prince catalog, for one. I'm also missing some deadmau5 albums (e.g. 4x4=12), some Kate Bush (e.g. Hounds of Love, The Dreaming), and many albums from more obscure artists like Erik Wollo, Igneous Flame, etc.
And I've only looked through about 1/3rd of my catalog, I'm afraid I'll find more.

I mean, Prince, deadmu5 and Kate Bush - those are pretty big artists. I'm sure they're still in the licensing process, but they have some ways to go.

Are you in the US?

UK here, and I can get Deadmau5 - 4x4=12, but While(1<2) only has 2 tracks available. The rest are greye'd out.

I noticed yesterday that Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All are missing from Metallica, though.

Now my iCloud is turned on and enabled through the settings but still not going into my music.

I don't have iTunes match, if that matters. Can listen and stream directly from the app but don't seem to be able to add to playlists, my own music, find where hearted stuff goes (if it does go anywhere etc.)

Skunkers

Beats 1 refuses to play in iTunes for me. Just blinks in the top bar and is gone again.

Same here, was just gonna post this. Works fine in the phone app, but actually none of the radio stations under the Radio tab in Music work. If you change from the Music section of iTunes to the Internet Radio section, those stations do work but Beats One doesn't seem to be found there.

Majora

By default, hearted stuff just helps Apple with recommending you stuff.

In iTunes you can set up a smart playlist so that hearted songs automatically get added there, but they also need to have been added to your library to show up. Annoying because I spent ages hearting stuff after setting up the playlist only to find none of it was there. They just need a default smart heart playlist - I feel like by trying to squeeze everything into the existing iTunes framework they've negatively affected how certain features work.

And no back button in the desktop client? Come on, Apple, this is basic basic stuff here.

And no back button in the desktop client? Come on, Apple, this is basic basic stuff here.

Top left corner.

vqVwGzH.png

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tried to activate the try now on my win 10 box. installed itunes UGH then remembered apple has never heard of a proxy server and vowed never again to install itunes.

GOD DAMNIT APPLE.

I'm hearing ridiculous positives about the service as well. would like to try it out. may give it a bash at home.

Sonos has spotify integration though. I'd be needing that

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/29/apple_music_to_be_available_on_sonos_by_year_end/

^so that makes me take notice...

So what's the deal with enabling iCloud Music Library and it deleting the iTunes purchased tracks from My Music in the Music app? The only track I have in there now is one I added from a radio station.

So what's the deal with enabling iCloud Music Library and it deleting the iTunes purchased tracks from My Music in the Music app? The only track I have in there now is one I added from a radio station.

I had the same problem. I re-synched my devices to iTunes desktop and now all my purchases are back in My Music along with iCloud library songs.

ITunes is in need of a big refresh to better suit Apple Music. They shoehorned the features into the old iTunes 12 design, but it's seriously lacking in a lot of places. Hopefully we'll get something like that in the fall with the TV event.

Speaking of iTunes, anybody try managing multiple libraries with the same Apple Music user? How's that working?

Are you in the US?

UK here, and I can get Deadmau5 - 4x4=12, but While(1<2) only has 2 tracks available. The rest are greye'd out.

I noticed yesterday that Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All are missing from Metallica, though.

I've got both of those two on mine, and i'm in the UK too. Even saved them for offline use!

Dunno wtf is up with the library, so much stuff missing. Some albums even have certain songs as not available. Other than that it seems like a good service.

hamchan

Beats 1 now playing status broke for me. Stuck on displaying I'm Yours (feat. Vic Mensa). I was looking to heart those Rolling Stones songs damn it!

AHA-Lambda

Just updated my post, I was referring to the wrong button! It's not exactly the most intuitive app.

It's ok, I knew what you meant but stuff I'm hearing still ain't turning up in my music.

Ugh, Apple has got its work cut out here; a more expensive and less functional Spotify. It's so in-Apple where everything is supposed to "just work".

Shady859

It's what you see when you click on the three dots for an individual song in My Music that you do not own and is not downloaded

Actually that album was downloaded last night before the picture was taken, I do not own it. It still shows the option "make available offline" when you click from the album track list even after you DL it. It's not a big deal they'll clean all the options up. I was just posting picture to show entire screen was covered with options on 5s model.

Something they really need to work on is the pronounciation of artists or track names with Siri in other languages than English. German Siri doesn't understand shit in a lot of cases in that regard.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Something they really need to work on is the pronounciation of artists or track names with Siri in other languages than English. German Siri doesn't understand shit in a lot of cases in that regard.

Considering how a lot of german people have downright hilarious english pronunciations, i'm sure she's doing her absolute best.

X-Frame

How can I just HEART my entire music library? I don't see any reason not to recommend me stuff based on my whole owned library.

So I downloaded the new iTunes on my work computer but my library at home isn't on there...

Is this...right? What's going on? Why isn't my music in the cloud?

*edit*

Nevermind, found it, I hope

Fry

I know this probably has been asked before, but as a satisfied Spotify user, should I keep using it or is this worth a shot?

Cheebo

Banned
I know this probably has been asked before, but as a satisfied Spotify user, should I keep using it or is this worth a shot?
I don't see why one would keep Spotify over this unless they have tons of saved playlists in Spotify. This has a larger library of music to stream.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I have to say, the interface in iOS and iTunes is not really intuitive to me.

For instance, why is it not possible to jump from a song in "My Music" to the Apple Music page of that artist? And why is almost everything related to Apple Music in the "New" tab, even if it isn't really new content.

It's also cumbersome to navigate to the overview of all Apple Music editors and curators.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, I've been using it on iOS and OS X since yesterday and I'm slowly being able to do what I want. Having everything sync seamlessly between devices, controlling what goes in my library, making it show only what's available offline when I'm on the go, etc. I still need more to time to know how I feel about the current song selection. I've found things that aren't on Spotify and vice-versa.

I'm getting used to it, which shouldn't be necessary. It all looks very good imo, but I have to echo the sentiment that the UI is a mess when it comes to actual usage and that it needs serious tweaking in a lot of spots. I think Spotify's apps and client are serviceable at best, but even then those are leagues ahead as far as being intuitive goes.

I mean, this kind of thing is just wack:
What I really miss from Spotify is "similar artists." Most of the bands I fell in love with over the last couple of years have been through that handy button.
It's in there, it's just buried slightly and the artist names aren't actually links to their pages so you need to then go and search for them. Because reasons.

On the app
Go to an artist -> Tap on their name which overlaps their picture (which isn't easy noticeable as a link...)
Why is similar artists basically a hidden feature? Why aren't the pictures/names in the results links to their pages? Etc.

I actually like using it, but there are a lot of small things that are adding up right now. I currently can't even recommend the service to friends and family, there's so much that's unintuitive that they'll keep asking me what to do and why something is not working between their devices.

Still, as mainly a Mac and iPhone/iPad user I definitely see myself sticking with Apple Music, because it fixes my biggest grievance with Spotify: having perfect integration between the music I stream and my local library. The iCloud Music Library is also a killer feature. Everything else is secondary to me.

I'm positive the navigation quirks will get better soon though. This is a big thing for them and it's not like I'm not used to Apple launches that need improvements. :p

S¡mon;170543005 said:
As a Spotify user, a few things I noticed:

1) Music doesn't play instantly, there's always a little delay
On Spotify, it *always* feels instant - even if you didnt download your music for offline use.

2) Curated playlists equal to Spotify
Apple Music's playlists aren't necessarily better than Spotify's. It's basically equal.

3) Missing friends' and strangers' playlists
Of course it's only just launched, so this might change. But the amount of playlists on Spotify is amazing. I can check out any playlists from my friends. And if I am looking for music, it's very easy to find other people's playlists.

4) Music library smaller?
Not sure on this one, but I've already encountered a few albums with greyed out songs.

5) Apple Music UI loads faster than Spotify's, yet I feel like Spotify's UI is easier for discovery of music and more seamless to use.

An (unfair?) advantage of Apple Music is, of course, that it is tightly integrated with iOS and Siri. I'm sure it will win over some customers from Spotify, but I think a fair amount of Spotify uses who try out Apple Music.. will stick with Spotify.
That's around how I feel at the moment too. As it stands this is not a Spotify killer and the decision of switching will depend on what the priorities of each user are and which devices they use for music.

DoubleYou

Damn, I only just discovered the "All" and "My Music" options. This changes everything haha.

Is there a way to add an artist with only the "All" option?

Chao

So iTunes asked me if I wanted to activate icloud library (apparently there's no other way to see apple music playlists (that I set up on ios) on my mac.

Once I activated that, I was able to see them, but now there's an icon in the top right corner saying one of my tracks was being uploaded to icloud. Is this how this works? Is this thing uploading my library? Am I going to get charged for this? I don't want iTunes match or any other service besides apple music.

Shit is so confusing.

Cheebo

Banned
So iTunes asked me if I wanted to activate icloud library (apparently there's no other way to see apple music playlists (that I set up on ios) on my mac.

Once I activated that, I was able to see them, but now there's an icon in the top right corner saying one of my tracks was being uploaded to icloud. Is this how this works? Is this thing uploading my library? Am I going to get charged for this? I don't want iTunes match or any other service besides apple music.

Shit is so confusing.
iTunes Match is part of Apple Music. If you pay for Apple Music you get iTunes Match services as well.

Appleman

Shit is so confusing.

iCloud Music Library is basically iTunes Match but it's included with the Apple Music subscription at no extra charge

I like the service, seeing as this is my first experience with unlimited streaming music. Beats One is the shit and it works great on iOS. St. Vincent's Mixtape is streaming now and it's awesome!

However:

1) iTunes 12.2.2 is awful. Buggy, crashing, and laggy on OSX. I just had to hard reset my Macbook Pro to deal with it.

2) iTunes never finished uploading my existing music into iCloud and I can't figure out how to get it to continue doing so. Once it's done I imagine the metadata issues will disappear but until then I have gaps in a lot of albums.

3) Artist pages on Apple Music is terrible if you're looking for a particular song but don't know what album it's on. Cross your fingers and hope it's in the top 10 most popular. (It never is for me.)

Top Bottom