• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

HUELEN10

B1sXpmu.png

Broken cloud of death. Figured it's always there when I can't add songs. Still have to figure out a consistent fix.

It's killing me right now too. Any pointers?

Mortemis

Banned
Quick question, I'm enjoying this only on iTunes on my mac, don't have an iPhone (just yet). Question is, if I edit tracks I specifically got from apple music, like lets say the name and genre tags, would it show up just like that on my iPhone when I eventually get one & sync or will it just default to apple music's default.

Wanna know if I should bother with it or not.

DOWN

Banned
Okay so I think Siri integration is fucking incredible. Say any song, she'll play it and you can basically forget purchases. But this UI is killing me. I'll still use it I bet.

But seriously how did they manage to make it so hard to go to see the full album of a song that's come up or a go to Artist option. They're so tricky and buried from certain screens.

DOWN

Banned
Okay, if you go into a playlist and see a song from an album you want to look at, how do I quickly view the album or artist without changing the song? I don't see a "Go to Album" or "Go to Artist" option

Also, the UI is glitches and doesn't even poP up sometimes when you tap the options ... on a song. Just darkens the screen a hint as if the menu should be up, but it isn't.

jts

...hate me...
It's killing me right now too. Any pointers?
So far I get some success rate when I restart iTunes and add songs from search. Not from Beats 1. Trying to add songs from Beats 1 will break it often. Very often. Just happened when trying to add "U Mad". And after it breaks it will not even let me add songs from Apple Music search. Have to restart iTunes.

Have you guys tried turning off Apple Music/iCloud Music Library and turning it back on? Or would that fuck up too much of your stuff?
Signed out and in entirely and didn't do much. I'm guessing a server side issue or growing pains, but for now it's cool.

edit: so yeah I further tested it and that's it. I restart iTunes, everything is fine. Add songs from Apple Music, either from search, "for you" or "new", all works fine and well. Try to add a song from Beats 1, it doesn't get added and it shows that broken cloud. Can't add any more songs after that, until I restart iTunes again. So it boils down to the fact that adding songs from Beats 1 (not other stations) is borked ATM for me at least.

Don't know how this plays out on the iPhone since I'm waiting for iOS 9.0 b3 to get Apple Music there.

Okay, if you go into a playlist and see a song from an album you want to look at, how do I quickly view the album or artist without changing the song? I don't see a "Go to Album" or "Go to Artist" option

Also, the UI is glitches and doesn't even poP up sometimes when you tap the options ... on a song. Just darkens the screen a hint as if the menu should be up, but it isn't.
It's clearly a V 1.0.
This needed a few more weeks or so. It's a little messy right now which is weird for Apple. Hopefully they polish it by the time iOS 9 rolls around.

Mussah92

B1sXpmu.png

Broken cloud of death. Figured it's always there when I can't add songs. Still have to figure out a consistent fix.

i just had that too....

killed the app and started it again and now its all gooooood.

What does the heart symbol actually do? how can i look at the items i have hearted? sorry if this has been asked/answered before

KtSlime

Not many problems with the interface for me, haven't tried the iCloud features yet, but pretty bummed by the extreme lack of J-Pop.

Majora

There's no go to artist option, annoyingly.

However, you know when you bring up the ellipses menu there's a tab above 'start station' that has the name of the track, album and artist in it, and a little photo of the cover? That's clickable and will take you to the album. From the album you can then tap the artist name at the top of the album screen to go to the artist page. So it's two steps to go to artist straight from a song instead of one, unlike every other streaming app ever.

This threw me for ages coming from Spotify because it looks like an untappable header to me. I was looking for specific 'go to album' and 'go to artist' options. Which is how it works on iTunes (sometimes).

Another absurdly hidden feature - on an artist page, you can tap on their name to see similar artists and a biography. Their name does not look selectable at all, but there you go.

DOWN

Banned
There's no go to artist option, annoyingly.

However, you know when you bring up the ellipses menu there's a tab above 'start station' that has the name of the track, album and artist in it, and a little photo of the cover? That's clickable and will take you to the album. From the album you can then tap the artist name at the top of the album screen to go to the artist page.

This threw me for ages coming from Spotify. I was looking for specific 'go to album' and 'go to artist' options. Which is how it works on iTunes (sometimes).
See, the problem is I had already thought I figured that out and tried that because it looked like it should be clickable to me, but it doesn't work from every menu. If you click the info when browsing the Top Songs charts, etc., clicking that info doesn't do a thing. Doesn't bring up the album at all.

Mess.

However, you know when you bring up the ellipses menu there's a tab above 'start station' that has the name of the track, album and artist in it, and a little photo of the cover? That's clickable and will take you to the album. From the album you can then tap the artist name at the top of the album screen to go to the artist page

Holy. Shit.

DOWN

Banned
Lol, don't get too excited, as that doesn't work everywhere. That's why I was wondering if I was missing a good button for it.

Majora

See, the problem is I had already thought I figured that out and tried that because it looked like it should be clickable to me, but it doesn't work from every menu. If you click the info when browsing the Top Songs charts, etc., clicking that info doesn't do a thing. Doesn't bring up the album at all.

Mess.

Hmmm, it seems to work ok for me?

I've gone to the New tab, scrolled down to top songs, selected the ellipses on a song in the chart, tapped the header and gone to the album.

That said, I've found a 'Introduction to St Vincent' playlist where tapping on the header for any of the songs just takes you to an 'unknown album and 'unknown artist' screen even though all of the albums are in Apple Music. Kind of embarrassing since St Vincent was one of their headline hosts on Beats 1.

DOWN

Banned

I've gone to the New tab, scrolled down to top songs, selected the ellipses on a song in the chart, tapped the header and gone to the album.

That said, I've found a 'Introduction to St Vincent' playlist where tapping on the header for any of the songs just takes you to an 'unknown album' screen even though all of the albums are in Apple Music.
Not working for me. Bugs, most likely.

DOWN

Banned

That said, I've found a 'Introduction to St Vincent' playlist where tapping on the header for any of the songs just takes you to an 'unknown album and 'unknown artist' screen even though all of the albums are in Apple Music. Kind of embarrassing since St Vincent was one of their headline hosts on Beats 1.

Worked for me in the situation you described
What devices are you guys on?

I'm seeing even more why it's confusing me. On iPad, it isn't working for me when browsing in the "New" tab. On iPhone, it isn't working anywhere at all, and I've been switching between those two devices.

Majora

Not working for me. Bugs, most likely.

Tried all the sections in the 'new' tab and it doesn't work for me in the 'Discovered on Connect: Audio' section for some reason. You can add songs to the queue but nothing else. Not sure if this is because these songs aren't in the library yet and you can only add them because they've been posted on Connect?

I'm on an iPhone 6. The interface needs a lot of work, no doubt. I added two songs to my library yesterday, not offline, and it won't let me remove them, either by trying to remove them individually or trying to remove the album. It'll let me remove other songs just fine, but not these two.

Quasar

Not many problems with the interface for me, haven't tried the iCloud features yet, but pretty bummed by the extreme lack of J-Pop.

Well that's the problem with all these services and stores, unless I guess you have a Japanese account. And that's why a locker function is so critical for me (and also why I still buy CDs). certainly if I look at my music collection the stuff not on online services (to buy or stream) its 99% Japanese stuff.

And I'm not really sure why. Whether its Japanese music companies not wanting to sell their music in the west or some fear of reverse importing as they are with anime I'm not sure.

I'm seeing even more why it's confusing me. On iPad, it isn't working for me when browsing in the "New" tab. On iPhone, it isn't working anywhere at all, and I've been switching between those two devices.

iPhone 6 Plus. I'll keep messing around with it, but so far that work-around has worked as described

BanGy.nz

Banned
I'm reimporting my music library after iTunes match blew it up, according to my broken ass tags Britney Spears sung 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' on her classic album Pet sounds... How the does that even happen?!

DOWN

Banned
:( they're missing:
The Colourist - "When I'm Away" from the current Hulu campaign
I'm reimporting my music library after iTunes match blew it up, Britney Spears apparently sung 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' on her classic album Pet sounds... How the does that even happen?!
I wish the girl would tho

PaulLFC

Hearing that it only plays at 128kb/s over mobile data is disappointing - I know a low data setting is needed for people who don't have big data plans, but it should be a configurable setting.

GPM for example has a Low/Medium/High quality setting over data networks, at high quality it streams 320kb/s. I think Spotify is the same.

Hopefully it's just an oversight they'll correct shortly.

DOWN

Banned
Hearing that it only plays at 128kb/s over mobile data is disappointing - I know a low data setting is needed for people who don't have big data plans, but it should be a configurable setting.

GPM for example has a Low/Medium/High quality setting over data networks, at high quality it streams 320kb/s. I think Spotify is the same.

Hopefully it's just an oversight they'll correct shortly.
Yeah, I've really tried to use lower nitrate to keep my data usage down, but I can hear it so I never can stick to it. It really should be an option.

KtSlime

Well that's the problem with all these services and stores, unless I guess you have a Japanese account. And that's why a locker function is so critical for me (and also why I still buy CDs). certainly if I look at my music collection the stuff not on online services (to buy or stream) its 99% Japanese stuff.

And I'm not really sure why. Whether its Japanese music companies not wanting to sell their music in the west or some fear of reverse importing as they are with anime I'm not sure.

I have a Japanese account, and the selection is certainly better I am sure, but have not signed up for it with my Japan account because I didn't have sufficient yen on my iTunes. I guess that is what I will have to do as I found out another really crummy thing about the service - if I change my iTunes Store region it simply stops playing. You can't use multiple iTunes accounts. I swear it's like Apple goes out of their way to make things crappy for international customers.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Another iCloud question:

All the music I download on my iPhone eventually shows in my library on on iMac. Cool. But when I add the music to my collection using my iMac, it doesn't show up on my iPhone. Any suggestions?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tangentially related to Apple Music, I just heard they disabled home sharing in iOS 8.4 :(

Wtf.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Updated iTunes and now my whole library is fucked up. Has randomly rearranged fucking everything, on all my devices.

Here's one hilarious example of the shitshow that's become of my years old library:

kBEPvnv.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Another iCloud question:

All the music I download on my iPhone eventually shows in my library on on iMac. Cool. But when I add the music to my collection using my iMac, it doesn't show up on my iPhone. Any suggestions?
Should probably be added in the OP, but make sure you don't have "Show Songs Available Offline" checked on your phone.
So if I have the "iCloud Music Library" off on my Mac in iTunes, does that mean that I am also disabling iTunes Match?
Do you actually pay for Match? If you do, then Match will still be available with iCL turned off. If you don't pay for Match, then yes you will lose Match-like functionality with iCL turned off.

Stat!

How do you find songs that you loved on Beats 1? Like I hit the heart but is there a way to see all songs Ive ever hearted?

And I guess Im a bit confused with the whole iTunes Match within Apple Music thing. Will my songs that I have get "matched" if I have apple music? If so, how?

Anyone have an answer?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Should probably be added in the OP, but make sure you don't have "Show Songs Available Offline" checked on your phone.

Do you actually pay for Match? If you do, then Match will still be available with iCL turned off. If you don't pay for Match, then yes you will lose Match-like functionality with iCL turned off.
Hmm. Not seeing this toggle in settings. Where is it?

Enco

iCloud is garbage. I wouldn't trust it with anything I don't have to.

iTunes Match used to regularly be down, Music Library just gave me back all my deleted playlists, and the synced iOS keyboard shortcuts that I delete KEEP COMING BACK. The worst thing about my iPhone currently.

Oh and 5GB storage is a damn joke.

fake edit: also :lol at using iCloud to store and manage files. Pure shit.

So far, the app has crashed on me at least six times as it starts to become unresponsive the deeper I try to dig into the app (on an iPad mini retina, if that makes any difference). So I'd say, the positives are: a nice interface that appears to be curated by actual people (UI is my biggest complaint with Spotify as I find it annoying), and the selection seems to be at least equal to the competition. With that said, the only way I'll continue using it after the trial is over is if they fix all the bugs and if they offer a student discount to match the one I have with Spotify (Apple, yeah right, huh?). Because as much as I dislike certain things about the Spotify experience, at the end of the day I have zero issues with actually getting the app to respond to my actions. Student discount also gives me less incentive to stop using it.

Vire

It's really gross how they promote "new music", Thom Yorkes album came out months and months ago and yet it's listed under new music because he made some sort of behind closed doors deal with Apple.

Scummy as shit.

It's really gross how they promote "new music", Thom Yorkes album came out months and months ago and yet it's listed under new music because he made some sort of behind closed doors deal with Apple.

Scummy as shit.

More likely that is wasn't available for streaming before, so technically it's 'new' to the service. Same with AC/DC, they only put their stuff up for streaming on Tuesday.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah I wish we can delete recommendations on For You and Connect. I have one Chris Brown song on my list but Apple thinks I'm a big fan.
Tap on your user profile (little person icon on the top left of devices, or your account name in iTunes). From there click "Choose Artists For Me" and from there click reset and go through the process to establish a new baseline.

Top Bottom