• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Tap on your user profile (little person icon on the top left of devices, or your account name in iTunes). From there click "Choose Artists For Me" and from there click reset and go through the process to establish a new baseline.

Yeah I reset that like 3 times (the choices are sparse) but it keeps showing me the same crappy recommendations.
It seems like some artists simply override all other recommendations, like if you have one Beyonce song in your list, Apple goes "hey! Beyonce! Here's more!"
They keep wanting me to Connect to Maroon 5, ugh!!!

Yeah I reset that like 3 times (the choices are sparse) but it keeps showing me the same crappy recommendations.
It seems like some artists simply override all other recommendations, like if you have one Beyonce song in your list, Apple goes "hey! Beyonce! Here's more!"

For me it always shows Rihanna at the very top, even though I don't have a single track where Rihanna is involved in my library.
The other recommendations were decent though, as soon as I simply 'loved' all songs in my library.

X-Frame

Do you actually pay for Match? If you do, then Match will still be available with iCL turned off. If you don't pay for Match, then yes you will lose Match-like functionality with iCL turned off.

Yup! I've been paying for it for 2 years. The problem is, I don't see iTunes Match specifically anywhere in the new iTunes. And when I added a new album yesterday (with ICL off) nothing happened -- nothing was analyzed or matched or uploaded. I don't even see the column for iCloud Status like usual which showed me which is Matched or Uploaded. Even my smart playlists which are based on Matched songs are empty.

So it seems like I have to enable ICL to regain that functionality, or terminate Apple Music's trial? I am not sure. Thanks for the response!

For me it always shows Rihanna at the very top, even though I don't have a single track where Rihanna is involved in my library.
The other recommendations were decent though, as soon as I simply 'loved' all songs in my library.

Ah yeah I gotta give some "love" to my tracks. Thanks, that'll probably help.

rinse82

Apple Music isn't playing well with my car =(

Hooked up to my 320i via usb and while listening to Apple Music or Beats 1 it regularly loses connection and I have to reconnect the phone. Annoying.

If I listen to a podcast, no issues. So I'm assuming it's Music that's the issue. BMW probably has to update their software and that will take forever.

Hooked up to my 320i via usb and while listening to Apple Music or Beats 1 it regularly loses connection and I have to reconnect the phone. Annoying.

If I listen to a podcast, no issues. So I'm assuming it's Music that's the issue. BMW probably has to update their software and that will take forever.

The Music app from the iOS 8.4 beta a few weeks ago didn't play well with our BMW as well, but the issues were gone with the iOS 9 beta Music app. I think you just need to wait for iOS updates.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yup! I've been paying for it for 2 years. The problem is, I don't see iTunes Match specifically anywhere in the new iTunes. And when I added a new album yesterday (with ICL off) nothing happened -- nothing was analyzed or matched or uploaded. I don't even see the column for iCloud Status like usual which showed me which is Matched or Uploaded. Even my smart playlists which are based on Matched songs are empty.

So it seems like I have to enable ICL to regain that functionality, or terminate Apple Music's trial? I am not sure. Thanks for the response!
No the toggle for it is cryptically removed from anywhere. Yeah it's confusing. I can tell you from trying though, when I turn off iCL all of my stuff from Match is still there. Not sure what happens if you turn off Apple Music. I suppose if you have Apple Music turned on, the only difference is to "turn Match off" means turning iCL on and then selecting "Show Songs Available Offline". Kind of confusing but should be close to the same as previously toggling Match off.

My biggest concern would be if I rip new music, is it going to still be added to Match with Apple Music turned on? Granted I haven't ripped a disc in probably 4-5 years. But still it's the only question I still have.

X-Frame

No the toggle for it is cryptically removed from anywhere. Yeah it's confusing. I can tell you from trying though, when I turn off iCL all of my stuff from Match is still there. Not sure what happens if you turn off Apple Music. I suppose if you have Apple Music turned on, the only difference is to "turn Match off" means turning iCL on and then selecting "Show Songs Available Offline". Kind of confusing but should be close to the same as previously toggling Match off.

My biggest concern would be if I rip new music, is it going to still be added to Match with Apple Music turned on? Granted I haven't ripped a disc in probably 4-5 years. But still it's the only question I still have.

Oh yeah my matched songs are still in my library as well, I just can't tell anymore which is specifically Matched or Uploaded easily, without going into the Get Info of each file and looking for "AAC audio file". I don't know if it even says "Matched AAC audio file" anymore. I also can't force update iTunes Match to scan my library, so essentially with ICL off it seems iTunes Match is also off from updating again.

So my question is similar to yours, but with ICL off and if I import new music will it activate iTunes Match and match/upload the songs, or will I need to turn ICL on for that?

Basically, if someone completely new to iTunes today decided to buy iTunes Match but not set up Apple Music, will that iTunes Match technically be the called "iCloud Music Library" in their iTunes? Or will it show iTunes Match specifically?

So many questions! Haha. Come on Apple.

TheZink

I have a Mazda CX-5 and having the same exact problems. I think it's a issue with 8.4

Majora

It's really gross how they promote "new music", Thom Yorkes album came out months and months ago and yet it's listed under new music because he made some sort of behind closed doors deal with Apple.

Scummy as shit.

Spotify have all of AC/DCs decades old albums right at the top of their New Releases. It's kinda standard for streaming services to heavily promote high-profile stuff that has only just been added. You can bet if Apple ever land The Beatles it'll be front and centre in the new section.

Vire

Another strike against the piece of shit.. They don't update their catalogue to include singles from yet to be released albums.

For example, Tame Impalas - Let it Happen isn't available on Apple Music and it is on other services.

Back to Spotify.

I didn't really have any intense problems with this during my first day of use. It was a little clunky to add songs to My Music and to playlists without accidentally doubling since the feedback mechanisms for showing you what's already there are very, very poor. But I managed to create playlists I liked, and it was all streaming while I was at work with no real issues.

I have an unlimited data plan, but I decided that I'd rather not use up tons of data when there's a "listen offline" option, so I tried that. Turns out these songs took up much more space on my phone than I anticipated, so I tried to remove the downloaded versions. This is where things got a little messy.

The app was very inconsistent about handling the offline versions. I found the toggle to show only offline versions, but not all the songs gave me the option to remove the download from my phone -- in most cases, I had to remove them from My Music entirely to get them off the phone. Whatever. That's inconvenient, but it's not that slow to re-add them to My Music.

I decided to clear out my downloads for some of my purchased music, too, since I don't mind listening to that at home via wifi since I've listened to most of it enough at this point. Problem is - now those purchases aren't showing up in iTunes anymore. It's as if I never purchased them.

I'm beyond livid.

Another strike against the piece of shit.. They don't update their catalogue to include singles from yet to be released albums.

For example, Tame Impalas - Let it Happen isn't available on Apple Music and it is on other services.

Back to Spotify.

Hmm, I can find Nero's Satisfy without any problems.

borghe

Basically, if someone completely new to iTunes today decided to buy iTunes Match but not set up Apple Music, will that iTunes Match technically be the called "iCloud Music Library" in their iTunes? Or will it show iTunes Match specifically?

I can answer part of this. No, iCL is ONLY available with Apple Music. I know from setting all of this up that if you try turning on iCL with Apple Music turned off it says "you need Apple Music to turn on iCloud Music Library"

The big thing in fact seems to be the opposite... I don't really see where you can subscribe brand new to Match. Then again I don't want to turn Music off on my phone to see if that prompts the Match option.

I don't think it's particularly evil that Apple doesn't make the Match option/signup readily available. I mean look at the confusion here among people who actually WANT to keep both subscriptions. Now imagine someone who really doesn't need/want Match in addition to Music. It could probably become even more confusing.

As for seeing stuff in iTunes, it works the same as it always does. Turn on the column "iCloud Status" and it shows you

Matched
Purchased
Uploaded
Apple Music

To our point, I am just unclear on the Matched status if you have both. There is a difference between Match and Apple Music (Match will give you the m4a DRM-free copy, while Music will ONLY give you the DRM m4p copy), and obviously after you download the file you can see.. maybe if you have both subs, it will default everything to Match?

How do I rate songs on iOS? Stars not hearts.

edit 2 - found it. Tap the song name below the album artwork. You can also use Siri and say "rate this song 4 stars"

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Is there any way to provide feedback to Apple regarding the Music App on the iOS?

Regarding offline music: When you make an entire album offline on your device, the badge appears in the top right hand of the album art but not on the individual songs themselves. Not sure if this is a glitch or design choice but it would be nice have an indicator beside every song.

Also when browsing your album collection, it would be nice to have the same offline badge to tell which are downloaded and the ones that are not. So you don't have to toggle 'show offline' to remind yourself which ones you have downloaded.

borghe

Is there any way to provide feedback to Apple regarding the Music App on the iOS?

Regarding offline music: When you make an entire album offline on your device, the icon appears in the top right hand of the album art but not on the individual songs themselves. Not sure if this is a glitch or design choice but it would be nice have an indicator beside every song.

Also when browsing your collection, it would be nice to have the same offline icon to tell which are downloaded and the ones that are not. So you don't have to toggle 'show offline' to remind yourself which ones you have downloaded.

??? The functionality you want is exactly what's showing up for me.. Forever Young below is downloaded. I remove the download and the little icon goes away.

GJNLBkCm.jpg

MercuryLS

Banned
??? The functionality you want is exactly what's showing up for me.. Forever Young below is downloaded. I remove the download and the little icon goes away.

GJNLBkCm.jpg

It's really inconsistent. All offline tracks should be clearly labeled as such. For albums, unless you add the songs individually the offline icon only shows up on the album art.

borghe

It's really inconsistent. All offline tracks should be clearly labeled as such. For albums, unless you add the songs individually the offline icon only shows up on the album art.

So if you make the entire album offline (from the ... on the album name), the icon will only show up on the album and not on each song also? Will test. edit - ok, yeah that is odd. I have to believe this is a bug or oversight. I mean the ability is already there to show individual songs as downloaded. Hopefully changed in 8.4.1

So how do I get my non-iTunes Store Beatles up into the cloud? Import my collection to iTunes on my Mac?

Yes. With Match (not Music), surprisingly a lot of stuff actually matched, just not the mono stuff and a couple others(?). I'd have to double check. Not sure what will happen with Music. But if you have Match some stuff might actually match.

Lebron

Yeah, this is trash. All the time in the world (and better services to learn from) and they release this? The only thing worth a damn is using Siri.

Dat Spotify doe

Kinsella

Banned
Yeah, this is trash. All the time in the world (and better services to learn from) and they release this? The only thing worth a damn is using Siri.

Dat Spotify doe

I'm feeling the same way. This isn't Apple blazing a new path. This is Apple entering a market that's existed long before them. They needed to arrive better than the competition, but all they've managed to do is irritate me with iTunes getting in the way of what I want to do. The nicest thing I can say at this point is that it's free. But I'm back already to using Spotify, which also has issues, but they don't hinder me from getting to my music reliably.

MercuryLS

Banned

Dat Spotify doe

Even with the issues with AM, I still prefer it to Spotify's substandard apps. My library consists of AM tracks and iTunes downloaded music so I haven't had much trouble with the service. Feel bad for people having issues with iTunes Match uploads.

X-Frame

I can answer part of this. No, iCL is ONLY available with Apple Music. I know from setting all of this up that if you try turning on iCL with Apple Music turned off it says "you need Apple Music to turn on iCloud Music Library"

The big thing in fact seems to be the opposite... I don't really see where you can subscribe brand new to Match. Then again I don't want to turn Music off on my phone to see if that prompts the Match option.

I don't think it's particularly evil that Apple doesn't make the Match option/signup readily available. I mean look at the confusion here among people who actually WANT to keep both subscriptions. Now imagine someone who really doesn't need/want Match in addition to Music. It could probably become even more confusing.

As for seeing stuff in iTunes, it works the same as it always does. Turn on the column "iCloud Status" and it shows you

Matched
Purchased
Uploaded
Apple Music

To our point, I am just unclear on the Matched status if you have both. There is a difference between Match and Apple Music (Match will give you the m4a DRM-free copy, while Music will ONLY give you the DRM m4p copy), and obviously after you download the file you can see.. maybe if you have both subs, it will default everything to Match?

I don't even see the iCloud Status column option to select anymore, it's completely gone. This happened too in the past when I turned iTunes Match off temporarily. When I turned it back on then the iCloud Status column re-appeared.

So since I never actually turned iTunes Match off, yet I never activated ICL is making me think that iTunes Match was absorbed into ICL -- meaning if I keep ICL off then I'll not be able to utilize iTunes Match. Meaning if there is no more new sign-ups for iTunes Match then iTunes Match can't exist without Apple Music and ICL turned on. Does that make sense or am I wrong?

For these reports re: the DRM, are people still able to download non-DRM music via iTunes Match after Apple Music came out?

'For You' recommending me stuff based on music I bought in middle school is a real bummer.

Yeah I wish we can delete recommendations on For You and Connect. I have one Chris Brown song on my list but Apple thinks I'm a big fan.

Tap on your user profile (little person icon on the top left of devices, or your account name in iTunes). From there click "Choose Artists For Me" and from there click reset and go through the process to establish a new baseline.

Ah yeah I gotta give some "love" to my tracks. Thanks, that'll probably help.

You can long press on any of the suggestions they give you in "For You" and a menu will pop up allowing you to choose "I don't like this recommendation" to let it know things that you would like to see less of in the future. It works on both the albums they suggest and the collections or playlists they suggest like "Intro to Bon Iver" or whatever.

kaskade

I'm just glad I had a partial backup of my songs with the iTunes fuck up. Kind of makes me nervous to try and redo it again. I'm missing a little bit of newer stuff but I've moved towards spotify and streaming recently a bit anyway so I actually have to go through and delete a lot of the stuff I don't want again since this backup is a little over a year ago. Not the worst thing in the world but it is really shity that it completely trashes a library.

I wonder if you don't have iTunes set to organize your music if it would've done anything. I imagine it doesn't actually edit files when you rename them? No idea how any of that stuff works really.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm enjoying it for the most part. Apart from some clumsy menu design choices and bugs. It's pretty much everything I wanted from an Apple music subscription service that integrates perfectly with my Apple devices.

RevoDS

I don't even see the iCloud Status column option to select anymore, it's completely gone. This happened too in the past when I turned iTunes Match off temporarily. When I turned it back on then the iCloud Status column re-appeared.

So since I never actually turned iTunes Match off, yet I never activated ICL is making me think that iTunes Match was absorbed into ICL -- meaning if I keep ICL off then I'll not be able to utilize iTunes Match. Meaning if there is no more new sign-ups for iTunes Match then iTunes Match can't exist without Apple Music and ICL turned on. Does that make sense or am I wrong?

For these reports re: the DRM, are people still able to download non-DRM music via iTunes Match after Apple Music came out?
I believe this is right. I only subscribe to Match, no Apple Music, and I had to enable iCloud Music Library to get my matched songs on my iOS devices.

From what I understand, ICL is a shared service that underlies both iTunes Match and Apple Music; there is one and only one cloud library, ICL, which can be composed of any combination of Match, purchased and Apple Music songs depending on which services you subscribe to.

As for DRM, I subscribed last week and the songs I matched in the last few days are indeed DRM-free. However, since I don't use Apple Music, I can't tell which system takes precedence if you paid for both, or how to force it to use Match.

I believe this is right. I only subscribe to Match, no Apple Music, and I had to enable iCloud Music Library to get my matched songs on my iOS devices.

From what I understand, ICL is a shared service that underlies both iTunes Match and Apple Music; there is one and only one cloud library, ICL, which can be composed of any combination of Match, purchased and Apple Music songs depending on which services you subscribe to.

As for DRM, I subscribed last week and the songs I matched in the last few days are indeed DRM-free. However, since I don't use Apple Music, I can't tell which system takes precedence if you paid for both, or how to force it to use Match.

I believe it was an article on iMore I read yesterday that tested this out and confirmed that if you pay for Match and Apple Music you are essentially paying the $25 a year for Match to be able to continue being able to download your stuff DRM free. So if you pay for Apple Music only you are stuck with DRM, if you pay the extra $25 a year for Match on top of it you will be DRM free.

Can I use mobile data for Apple music without enabling it for automatic app updates as well? This is insane. Even Tim Cooks data cap couldn't handle this.

J2d

Uhm can't I use my iPad to search on Apple music on my iMac through the remote app? If not then I hope they fix this asap

borghe

Everything that I would expect Match to work with/as so far has remained consistent. The ONLY time DRM has come into the picture (well, for three days at least) is using Apple Music to access tracks that I did not buy or upload. I won't say this is law.. but I have not come across any situation (yet) where I actually own the track (uploaded, matched or purchased) and got the DRM copy.

The only thing left is I'll try to find a disc somewhere that I have to rip yet and do that tonight... Might try to find a disc that should definitely be matched and another that should hopefully be uploaded. I know how both would have behaved on Monday, so now it's just making sure they behave the same way. But also remember that I do have a subscription to both. I would guess if you only had a sub to one it would behave exactly as you'd expect (i.e. DRM-free for Match, DRM for Music)

Uhm can't I use my iPad to search on Apple music on my iMac through the remote app? If not then I hope they fix this asap

My guess is Remote needs to be updated. I honestly believe there's a huge Remote update out there waiting for the new ATV, and once that was delayed it's caused a serious chain of misfortune (like Apple Music not being on Apple TV, which I am certain it would be had Apple not waited on releasing the new model for the TV deals to be in place)

X-Frame

I believe it was an article on iMore I read yesterday that tested this out and confirmed that if you pay for Match and Apple Music you are essentially paying the $25 a year for Match to be able to continue being able to download your stuff DRM free. So if you pay for Apple Music only you are stuck with DRM, if you pay the extra $25 a year for Match on top of it you will be DRM free.

Thank you!

I'll make a Time Machine backup tonight just in case then enable ICL in iTunes only so that I maintain the iTunes Match functionality. I'll report my results!

I'm keeping ICL off on my iPhone though.

After a few days with it, I'm still pretty much at the same line of thought. It's okay. I don't really have too many issues with the UI and I like it just slightly better than Spotify on iOS. I thought the radio stuff would be cool but I've already pretty much lost all interest in it - especially with the fact that songs are censored. Doubt I'll listen to it much more unless I'm just extremely bored. The Connect stuff is probably the most useless part of this service. First of all, it's a ghost town. Second, I have no idea which artists even use it or plan to use it so do I follow a bunch of random people in the hopes that they'll eventually post something? Having to use the restrictions setting workaround to get rid of this tab makes me shake my head.

I also feel like the service is missing a HUGE social aspect. I love how Spotify lets me view a feed of what my friends are listening to or view and subscribe to their playlists. I also like how you can FIND playlists by other people - for instance, I can find a playlist for studying that someone's made or one for EDM festival music. As good as Apple's curated lists are, they'll never be able to match the lists that other people make when it comes to specific niches you have interest in. Speaking of curated lists, are all of them just lists of like 10 songs? Seems kind of half-assed to me. As an aside on the social aspect, I also find it to be hugely beneficial in being able to just share a Spotify link with anyone and knowing for sure they can listen to the song since there's a free tier.

My verdict: if you don't have ties to any service and/or are looking for a new service to sign up for, Apple Music is probably worth looking into as the default choice. If you're happy with Spotify's free service or have ANY discount on another streaming service, I would say it's not really worth switching.

Future

Is there a running list of how this fucks up people's iTunes library?

Duplicate songs
Removing ratings
Removing play counts
Removing cover art (or putting wrong cover art on a song)
?

I activated it yesterday but wondering if I should disable it before I start seeing all these problems. I haven't yet but I also haven't been paying close attention to my library

borghe

I also feel like the service is missing a HUGE social aspect. I love how Spotify lets me view a feed of what my friends are listening to or view and subscribe to their playlists.
this has been mentioned in here a few times and you get a lot of "hell no!!!" in response. I agree that it would be a nice opt-in feature. I think the big problem is that if you made it opt-in, no one would. And if you made it opt-out, people would be up in arms. ?? /shrug

this has been mentioned in here a few times and you get a lot of "hell no!!!" in response. I agree that it would be a nice opt-in feature. I think the big problem is that if you made it opt-in, no one would. And if you made it opt-out, people would be up in arms. ?? /shrug

I don't understand the issue. It's barely there in Spotify and you could just choose not to follow anyone, not to connect it to Facebook, or hide/not view the "Activity" tab.

I don't think I've ever even gone into the activity tab on the mobile app.

Plus, Apple Music already has a much more crappy and useless social component in Connect.

tirminyl

I'm feeling the same way. This isn't Apple blazing a new path. This is Apple entering a market that's existed long before them. They needed to arrive better than the competition, but all they've managed to do is irritate me with iTunes getting in the way of what I want to do. The nicest thing I can say at this point is that it's free. But I'm back already to using Spotify, which also has issues, but they don't hinder me from getting to my music reliably.

That is their modus operandi. IMO, they never blazed a new path. They always entered into an existing market and revamped it making it easier and flashier. Others already beat them to it and had more advanced tech, but Apple introduced simplicity and ux.

Just updated my Mac last night so I will give Apple music a go and see how it compares to Google Music since I use that.

Leninpest

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm enjoying it for the most part. Apart from some clumsy menu design choices and bugs. It's pretty much everything I wanted from an Apple music subscription service that integrates perfectly with my Apple devices.

Yeah, after getting my library set up and sorted out, I'm definitely loving it. It has it's weird issues every once and a while, but it's pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Ambitious

Dat Spotify doe

Well, about that..

My mother tongue happens to be a thick, rural dialect of German. So when I speak English, my accent is especially bad and Siri doesn't understand anything.

I could set Siri to German and speak standard German to it, but as with most voice input systems, voice recognition is way worse for non-English languages than for English. Most of the time, it either doesn't understand my queries at all or seriously misinterprets them. And trying to make it understand English song titles while being set to German is a waste of time.
Besides, as you might imagine, speaking standard German still feels a bit weird to me.

Symphonic

The non-syncing with Hearting tracks is weird. Hearted it while searching for it, but wasn't hearted in my library or on my phone.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's me too at the moment. Improvements are needed on the UI and in some niches of the library, but being a Mac/iPad/iPhone user this is pretty much exactly what I wanted. It's going to be hard going back to another service that isn't heavily integrated with my devices and files like this. Thankfully I haven't dealt with any major fuck ups so far, hopefully that doesn't change.

Top Bottom