• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is there a running list of how this fucks up people's iTunes library?

Duplicate songs
Removing ratings
Removing play counts
Removing cover art (or putting wrong cover art on a song)
?

I activated it yesterday but wondering if I should disable it before I start seeing all these problems. I haven't yet but I also haven't been paying close attention to my library
none of these are consistent, and it seems (for the most part) that any of these happening is less frequent than not.

One thing to point out, is that if you match/upload your library, and then (for whatever reason) add the same song from Music, it will show up with duplicates.

Another issue (that has always existed with Match, but I'm not really sure how this is really solvable) is where you have the same song, literally the same song, but have it multiple places in your library. In iTunes traditionally, "hide duplicates" would handle this. However, and here's the sticking point, iTunes would basically handle this on metadata alone. So if a song was Michael Jackson - Thriller, and you had it tagged that way on 4 different albums it would be hidden. Fine. The problem came down that if one was a play time of 4:59, and another 4:55, and another 5:02, all with varying degrees of silence, they would ALL be uploaded/matched in Match (probably uploaded). So in your iTunes library you used to have Thriller once, and now you have it duplicated three times.

In the above case, IMHO technically Match is right. They are three separate rips/downloads that, while they contain the same song, are not from the same source. For example iTunes was notorious for hiding live versions of songs unless you had them named as LIVE or something appropriately. In the case that the three are in fact the exact same song just from different rips... then it should be on you (not Apple) to clean up your library. IMHO

I mean people are definitely having problems in rare cases.. but yeah, a lot of the "duplicate" problems I've seen are just a change from how iTunes handled duplicates and how Match/Music handles them.

How? I don't see the option

sadly this functionality (editing metadata) has always been limited to iTunes only.

Yeah, after getting my library set up and sorted out, I'm definitely loving it. It has it's weird issues every once and a while, but it's pretty much exactly what I wanted.

You just described Match in a nutshell.......... Getting it initially setup is one of the most frustrating experiences ever. However once that horrifying setup is complete, it works beautifully after.. even adding music after the fact (ripped or purchased).

Future

none of these are consistent, and it seems (for the most part) that any of these happening is less frequent than not.

One thing to point out, is that if you match/upload your library, and then (for whatever reason) add the same song from Music, it will show up with duplicates.

Another issue (that has always existed with Match, but I'm not really sure how this is really solvable) is where you have the same song, literally the same song, but have it multiple places in your library. In iTunes traditionally, "hide duplicates" would handle this. However, and here's the sticking point, iTunes would basically handle this on metadata alone. So if a song was Michael Jackson - Thriller, and you had it tagged that way on 4 different albums it would be hidden. Fine. The problem came down that if one was a play time of 4:59, and another 4:55, and another 5:02, all with varying degrees of silence, they would ALL be uploaded/matched in Match (probably uploaded). So in your iTunes library you used to have Thriller once, and now you have it duplicated three times.

In the above case, IMHO technically Match is right. They are three separate rips/downloads that, while they contain the same song, are not from the same source. For example iTunes was notorious for hiding live versions of songs unless you had them named as LIVE or something appropriately. In the case that the three are in fact the exact same song just from different rips... then it should be on you (not Apple) to clean up your library. IMHO

I mean people are definitely having problems in rare cases.. but yeah, a lot of the "duplicate" problems I've seen are just a change from how iTunes handled duplicates and how Match/Music handles them.

sadly this functionality (editing metadata) has always been limited to iTunes only.

Glancing at my playlists I am noticing duplicate entries of some songs. Duplicate will have a cloud and arrow symbol...indicating I guess I could download it? Even though the original file is right above it and on disk. Is it doing that to try to suggest I download a better bitrate version? If I play that playlist will it also try to play the duplicate with the download symbol on it?

It is pretty confusing :/ I'm not quite sure how to disable it either. In preferences I see a checkmark besides iCloud library...hopefully that disables the matching

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm enjoying it for the most part. Apart from some clumsy menu design choices and bugs. It's pretty much everything I wanted from an Apple music subscription service that integrates perfectly with my Apple devices.

agreed, IMO the UI is 10x nicer to use and more visually appealing then Spotify and being in the Apple eco system it's just very nice to use

borghe

Glancing at my playlists I am noticing duplicate entries of some songs. Duplicate will have a cloud and arrow symbol...indicating I guess I could download it? Even though the original file is right above it and on disk. Is it doing that to try to suggest I download a better bitrate version? If I play that playlist will it also try to play the duplicate with the download symbol on it?

It is pretty confusing :/ I'm not quite sure how to disable it either. In preferences I see a checkmark besides iCloud library...hopefully that disables the matching
in iTunes (desktop)? If so, the best way to diagnose what's happening is to choose (upper right corner I believe) showing what you're looking at by Song, then in "Choose Columns" select iCloud Status. You should now see one of four options

Purchased
Matched
Uploaded
Apple Music

In almost all cases that I've come across so far with duplicates, either iCloud Status is different between the dupes, and/or track times are different (effectively making them look like different songs/versions)

but yeah, I would start there.

ZeroAKA

Apple Music seems to be working significantly better now than it did the last few days. The only problem I have left (besides some of the missing songs) is that the "remove download" option in the iOS Music app doesn't work most of the time. I usually have to go to the Settings app to delete the songs.

Lynn616

OK for now I just deleted my iCloud library.
Backuped iTunes Music Library.xml etc, deleted songs from iTunes, updated iCloud, restored iTunes Music Library.xml. My added times are intact and iCloud library is empty.
If they fix uploading to iCloud or give option to choose what to upload I will try again, too much hussle to deal with my whole library piece by piece.

Glad it all worked out.

holygeesus

Banned
Hearing that it only plays at 128kb/s over mobile data is disappointing - I know a low data setting is needed for people who don't have big data plans, but it should be a configurable setting.

GPM for example has a Low/Medium/High quality setting over data networks, at high quality it streams 320kb/s. I think Spotify is the same.

Hopefully it's just an oversight they'll correct shortly.

I don't think it is just 128kbs when using mobile data, it seems to me that the entire iPhone app is locked to that quality, even when streaming over the internet, as iTunes through my Mac, using the same amplifier, sounds better to my ears.

Major bummer if true.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't think it is just 128kbs when using mobile data, it seems to me that the entire iPhone app is locked to that quality, even when streaming over the internet, as iTunes through my Mac, using the same amplifier, sounds better to my ears.

Major bummer if true.

I'm 100% not surprised Apple didn't give us toggles for this stuff. They leave out stuff like this in 1.0's of their software to reduce complexity when all it does is annoy people that want options. Tying cell data to Apple Music and Updates is so stupid. Hopefully they add these things with the next update.

Future

in iTunes (desktop)? If so, the best way to diagnose what's happening is to choose (upper right corner I believe) showing what you're looking at by Song, then in "Choose Columns" select iCloud Status. You should now see one of four options

Purchased
Matched
Uploaded
Apple Music

In almost all cases that I've come across so far with duplicates, either iCloud Status is different between the dupes, and/or track times are different (effectively making them look like different songs/versions)

but yeah, I would start there.

Thanks! That did add more info, but still kinda screwed.

It looks like all the files with the duplicate have the original file labled "inelgible" in iCloud status. Then there is a duplicate underneath labeled "Apple Music." So that seems to mean that for whatever reason some of these mp3s were inelgible for upload or match, or something. But there is an Apple Music version so it shoves that in the playlist as well. Rating and metadata seems to be the same on both, but I change one...the duplicate doesnt change :/

Even weirder, when I look at All my songs (not in a playlist view, but all songs view), the original file isnt even listed there. Only the Apple Music duplicate. If I search I can't see anything but the apple music version, but if I search in the playlist that contains it I see both the original and the apple music version. So I wouldnt be able to play the version on my disc at all from the All songs view, even though I can in the playlist view

Robin64

I decided to listen to Pendulum's "Hold Your Colour" on the drive home from work today, it's an album I love but hadn't heard for a while. Was nice an easy to get to and play, and I just put my phone into my car's USB port and boom, as I sometimes do with Spotify. (Usually I just have a memory stick loaded with songs, though)

But oh dear, whatever quality it was streaming at has absolutely ruined that album. Most songs have extremely noticeable areas of compression and distortion. Now I'm not really an audiophile, but I have to say that it ruined the album entirely and I just can't listen to it through this method.

I'm worried about how other albums will sound now and if it's worth the tenner a month when I'm getting MP3 quality from 20 years ago.

I'm 100% not surprised Apple didn't give us toggles for this stuff. They leave out stuff like this in 1.0's of their software to reduce complexity when all it does is annoy people that want options. Tying cell data to Apple Music and Updates is so stupid. Hopefully they add these things with the next update.

Lol there are already too many confusing toggles

borghe

Major bummer if true.

untrue. Basing it on the ONLY information we have ever been given, Apple has explicitly said that both Match and Music stream at 256Kbps. The only thing Apple has not (ever) commented on is what bitrate Radio streams at.

Thanks! That did add more info, but still kinda screwed.

It looks like all the files with the duplicate have the original file labled "inelgible" in iCloud status. Then there is a duplicate underneath labeled "Apple Music." So that seems to mean that for whatever reason some of these mp3s were inelgible for upload or match, or something. But there is an Apple Music version so it shoves that in the playlist as well. Rating and metadata seems to be the same on both, but I change one...the duplicate doesnt change :/

Even weirder, when I look at All my songs (not in a playlist view, but all songs view), the original file isnt even listed there. Only the Apple Music duplicate. If I search I can't see anything but the apple music version, but if I search in the playlist that contains it I see both the original and the apple music version. So I wouldnt be able to play the version on my disc at all from the All songs view, even though I can in the playlist view

regarding ineligible..... uggh....... yeah, this was some of the f***ing shit I dealt with 3 or so years ago with Match... So many files I removed and re-added to try to get them to upload/match... sad to see it still has similar problems.

Well, you can either delete YOUR files from your library and just be fine with the Music files (shouldn't be a big deal, as long as you don't actually permanently delete the file. Just archive it off somewhere), or do like I'm saying, and remove it from your library, drop it back in which should try to match or upload it again.

when you go to change meta, that is working as it should. They are in fact two different files/songs, even though audibly it is the same song. fix the duplicate issue (which is a pain, sorry) and you'll be fine.

regarding the display.. By default (I believe) iTunes enables hiding of duplicate tracks. There should be an option (in the View menu?) for Show Duplicates. Once you do this the dupes should show up everywhere in itunes. The reason they show up in playlists is because playlists is immune from iTunes' hide duplicates feature, in the event that you have a single song inserted like 2 or more times within the same playlist. I actually forgot about that until I created a playlist this morning, and there wasn't really a great indication that I added a song, so I ended up hitting the + button a few times... went back to the playlist with Done, and sure enough.. the song(s) were in there a ton of times. Had to delete all of the extras.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Has anyone found a solution for album art not showing up on your device, but everything being intact within iTunes?

That's my current situation right now. I can fix them by removing all the affected songs, syncing my phone so they aren't there anymore, re-apply the album art in iTunes, then popping them back on my phone.

but that's like 200 albums with missing artwork. Frustrating.

It's weird because Beats Music had those options and they should have carried them over. I had max quality on all the time.

Ideally should have separate options for WiFi/Cellular and offline bitrates

256 aac, 192 aac, 128 aac

P.S.: I'm getting annoyed by comments online from people demanding 320 quality when they don't know 256 aac is just as good. I commented on a few FB/YouTube posts and it just proves people generally don't understand what they're talking about.

Ashhong

Used Smart Playlist for the first time yesterday. Amazing. Added all of my Kpop songs in 10 seconds. I didn't get a chance to play around with it too much, is there a Smart Playlist rule so that I can add every Apple Music song I save to my music?

It's weird because Beats Music had those options and they should have carried them over. I had max quality on all the time.

Ideally should have separate options for WiFi/Cellular and offline bitrates

256 aac, 192 aac, 128 aac

P.S.: I'm getting annoyed by comments online from people demanding 320 quality when they don't know 256 aac is just as good. I commented on a few FB/YouTube posts and it just proves people generally don't understand what they're talking about.

I haven't followed the discussion, does AM stream at 256AAC all the time? WIFI and cellular?

billeh

Okay, did a little more formal of a test. Here's Madeon - Imperium with Spotify on extreme quality, and Apple Music on .. whatever it uses.

Formula used for calculating the bitrate: (Data Used * 1000 * 8)/Time

QqslPzu.png

Spotify seems to be dead on, while AM is uh ...

Okay, did a little more formal of a test. Here's Madeon - Imperium with Spotify on extreme quality, and Apple Music on .. whatever it uses.

it saves data on cellular coverage. that is the point.

holygeesus

Banned
untrue. Basing it on the ONLY information we have ever been given, Apple has explicitly said that both Match and Music stream at 256Kbps. The only thing Apple has not (ever) commented on is what bitrate Radio streams at.

I think you misunderstand me - If I stream the same song on my Mac (iTunes) it sounds better than if I stream the same song on my iPhone, using the same Yamaha amp and Airplay.

I'm not differentiating between Match and Music - I'm insinuating that the Music app on the iPhone doesn't change between 256kbps and 128kbps. It sounds fixed to 128kbps to my ears, even when using wireless internet.

numble

I think you misunderstand me - If I stream the same song on my Mac (iTunes) it sounds better than if I stream the same song on my iPhone, using the same Yamaha amp and Airplay.

I'm not differentiating between Match and Music - I'm insinuating that the Music app on the iPhone doesn't change between 256kbps and 128kbps. It sounds fixed to 128kbps to my ears, even when using wireless internet.
If the iPhone is AirPlaying something directly, the quality should degrade, no?

borghe

had you already played it (ever?) where it would be cached on your phone? If so, you'd have to go into Storage first and wipe out your Music storage, then try playing it again.

edit - 68Kbps wouldn't sound "noticeably worse". It would be virtually unlistenable by even the most casual of listener.

holygeesus

Banned
If the iPhone is AirPlaying something directly, the quality should degrade, no?

How is it any different to my Mac Airplaying to the same Amp?

The line of connection of both:

iPhone ----------Airplay------------Amp
MacBook-------Airplay------------Amp

They are both using the same wireless connection but the iPhone versions of songs I know pretty well, just sound harsher than playing them via the Mac.

How to properly use “Likes” in Apple Music

I use the “Like” system in my music services all the time because I want it to learn from my listening habits and be more personalized for my tastes. However, it seems that every service uses this system in different ways, so I talked to Apple about how you should use likes with Apple Music.

First, let me tell you one of my big problems, or sources of confusion, with likes on streaming services. Let’s say I’m listening to a Metal station and a great song comes on, but I consider it to be Rock. Do I like it? I enjoy the song, but I’m afraid if I like it, more Rock songs will come on the Metal station, diluting it.

What if I don’t like it? Will it never show up again, even in Rock? Perhaps I should skip it, but is that equivalent to a “dislike”? These are the questions and concerns I had as I listened to Apple music.

So, here’s some guidance on what you should be doing.

Apple’s built in Radio stations are all handpicked songs. They are handpicked with a thought to what song is playing and what song comes after it. By doing this curation, Apple strives to make one song flow into the other so, hopefully, you won’t need to skip songs—or at least skip less often.

When you play a radio song, you will notice a heart—this is the like button. If you tap the heart, indicating you like that song, it does absolutely nothing to “tune” that station. Since the stations are human curated, there is no need for a tuning algorithm.

Tapping the heart does affect “For You,” the section of Apple Music that’s custom built with playlists, albums and songs tailored to your individual tastes. For You also takes into account music you add to your library and full plays you listen to. Skips aren’t really taken into account, because there are so many reasons you may skip a song—maybe you’re just not in the mood for it right now.

You can further tune the For You section. If you go to For You and there is a recommendation for an album that you just don’t like, tap and hold on the album. A menu will popup where you can choose “I Don’t Like This Suggestion,” allowing Apple Music to further learn about your musical taste.

Now, If you build a station yourself by searching for a band or song and tap “Start Station,” you’ll notice the heart changes to a star. In this instance, you can tune the station to your likes and dislikes.

Tapping the star gives you a “Play More Like This” or “Play Less Like This.” These choices can be made on a per station basis without worrying that you are affecting your overall enjoyment of a particular song or band.

Using these tips should give you finely tuned For You section and enjoyable custom radio listening experience in Apple Music.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/02/how-to-properly-use-likes-in-apple-music/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Beats Music defaulted to 64k AAC on cellular, your figures are about right for that.

https://support.beatsmusic.com/hc/e...dio-quality-bitrate-does-Beats-Music-support-

You had the option of changing on that though.

billeh

had you already played it (ever?) where it would be cached on your phone? If so, you'd have to go into Storage first and wipe out your Music storage, then try playing it again.

edit - 68Kbps wouldn't sound "noticeably worse". It would be virtually unlistenable by even the most casual of listener.
Nope, never played either of the songs I tested. Ran another and it seems to line up with Imperium's results, 70kbps.

I wouldn't say it unlistenable, considering that's basically what SiriusXM tops out at, but it's not preferable. AAC might actually be helping a little bit from a compression standpoint as well, which may be comparable to a 128 kbps MP3.

borghe

Ok, just tested it with a song I've probably never in my entire life listened to before.

turned off wifi
went in Music to get the song ready
went into settings and cleared cell data usage
double tapped immediately back into music
pressed play

4.2MB for 209 seconds.

4.2 x 1024 (a MB is 1024 KB, which are 1024 Bytes) * 8 / 209 = 164Kbps. Also remember that this is all VBR not ABR or CBR.

This is a matched track. I can try with a Music track. I'd have to wait til I got home on an uploaded track just because I'd have to check the size there.

Nope, never played either of the songs I tested. Ran another and it seems to line up with Imperium's results, 70kbps.

I wouldn't say it unlistenable, considering that's basically what SiriusXM tops out at, but it's not preferable.

my result was considerably different (over double the bitrate)

edit - tested a Music track that wasn't in my library

193 seconds and 5.2MB showing in usage comes out to 220Kbps (5.2 * 1024 * 8 / 193 = 220Kbps)

David Guetta track is way busier than the previous Blind Melon rock track showing the VBR difference.

billeh

I also made sure to isolate the song in its own playlist, since it's possible the app may begin buffering the next song in the queue. I'll see what I can do with a matched song. Also, for the sake of the calculation, Apple measures megabytes with 1000 bytes .. Microsoft's the lone straggler there. ;)

borghe

I also made sure to isolate the song in its own playlist, since it's possible the app may begin buffering the next song in the queue. I'll see what I can do with a matched song. Also, for the sake of the calculation, Apple measures megabytes with 1000 bytes .. Microsoft's the lone straggler there. ;)

fwiw, this is actually fun, regardless of the results :p I mean all I want is the info, (and hopefully it isn't poor). Doing the same as you posted here... 1min to go.

edit - ok, doing that I get 82Kbps. Now what's interesting is on that one I was struggling on signal strength.. it kept popping in and out of 4G and LTE (horrible reception here).

billeh

fwiw, this is actually fun, regardless of the results :p I mean all I want is the info, (and hopefully it isn't poor). Doing the same as you posted here... 1min to go.
There's a bit of a bump!

159kbps, 3.7MB, 186 seconds on an uploaded song (SM64 - Dire Dire Docks)

neshcom

Banned
Would be nice if they just automatically went into a playlist of 'liked' songs.

That'd mean getting hearts in a place where they sync up between devices and sessions. Found a lot of hearts I've given on iPhone not show up on PC. You can make a smart playlist on PC to auto-populate with liked songs/albums, but when they don't register, what's the point?

Wreav

Banned
So I'm adding music to "my music" on the phone. However, it's not showing up in Windows iTunes under "my music" until it randomly decides to talk to iCloud, usually if I add an album to "my music" on the pc.

Is that about right? Weird bug?

That'd mean getting hearts in a place where they sync up between devices and sessions. Found a lot of hearts I've given on iPhone not show up on PC. You can make a smart playlist on PC to auto-populate with liked songs/albums, but when they don't register, what's the point?

Are you hearting and adding to your music library, or just hearting? I imagine with a smart playlist it will only pull songs added to your music library, not ones that you heart just for the sake of fine tuning your music curation.

borghe

Are you hearting and adding to your music library, or just hearting? I imagine with a smart playlist it will only pull songs added to your music library, not ones that you heart just for the sake of fine tuning your music curation.

correct. playlists ONLY work on My Music. If you add a song from Music to a playlist, it will first (behind the scenes) add it to My Music, then add it to the playlist.

One annoyance I've come across (very minor) is that in a playlist you are only given the option to remove a song from playlist, or remove download. But you can't, for example, remove from My Music from the playlist. So (whether you remove it from your playlist or not) you still have to go back into My Music, find the song, and remove it from there.

Minor, and the chances I'd want to actually remove a song that I specifically added to a playlist are minor.. but still.

Huh, you can edit the metadata of Apple Music songs and it will sync across all devices. I did NOT expect that

correct. Once you add a song to My Music it becomes "your" song. You can do whatever you like with it. Change metadata, use it in apps, etc.

Including album art?

Elliot Smith's Either/Or and Weezer's Blue Album have terrible quality album art. I would like to change them, otherwise I'd just sync from my computer my own copies.

yes. You can edit the metadata identically to anything else in iTunes once you add it to My Music.

Huh, you can edit the metadata of Apple Music songs and it will sync across all devices. I did NOT expect that

Including album art?

Elliot Smith's Either/Or and Weezer's Blue Album have terrible quality album art. I would like to change them, otherwise I'd just sync from my computer my own copies.

correct. Once you add a song to My Music it becomes "your" song. You can do whatever you like with it. Change metadata, use it in apps, etc.

I guess I didn't expect that because I assumed it was always pulling from the Apple Music's servers, not your own iCloud Music Library

Turned off this shitshow on my iPhone. When I resynced to my PC, all playlists that were on the iPhone were nuked from the PC. Progress?

jts

...hate me...
So I guess I just figured how to get a playlist with the songs you love (heart)?

Create a new smart playlist on iTunes and then:

gOJHPxg.png

The caveat is that I'm pretty sure this only works if you love a song and get it to your library as well.

Top Bottom