• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So how the hell do I listen to Apple Music on the Windows version of iTunes? I have no For you or New tabs. I'm on the latest version too.

neshcom

Banned
correct. playlists ONLY work on My Music. If you add a song from Music to a playlist, it will first (behind the scenes) add it to My Music, then add it to the playlist.
Yeah, it was stuff I listened to via a playlist, but I added that playlist to my playlists first. Looking at My Music, that didn't add those songs individually. Shame since I added those hearts while I was driving and couldn't add to My Music at the time...

how do i save all the songs offline on my ipod? do i really have to do it all individually?

iPod Classic? Can't do that.

iPod Touch/iOS devices, you don't necessarily have to do them individually by songs. You can go to My Music, set to artist, then at the top you should see the three ellipses and select 'make available offline' and it would download all the songs for that artist.

If you have the type of library that has just a song here and there by artists, then I don't know if you can make all songs available offline in a quick way

ZeroAKA

iPod Classic? Can't do that.

iPod Touch/iOS devices, you don't necessarily have to do them individually by songs. You can go to My Music, set to artist, then at the top you should see the three ellipses and select 'make available offline' and it would download all the songs for that artist.

If you have the type of library that has just a song here and there by artists, then I don't know if you can make all songs available offline in a quick way
You can always save all of your songs into a playlist and make the entire playlist available offline on your iOS device.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Tried it out on a friends phone. The way the UI is set up feels bloated as shit with a ton of garbage I don't care about. Examples being new music advertisements, streaming menus etc. being upfront while the stuff I care about is hidden in other menus. Miss the simplified menu options for artists, songs, playlists and albums. Still haven't figured out how to just browse those normally. I'll stick with my current version until I'm forced to upgrade.

Ermac

No. location = icloud would just be tracks in your library that fall under an iCloud Status (Purchased, Uploaded, Matched, Apple Music)

Hm, how can I see what tracks are in my iCloud library then? I thought making a Smart Playlist was the way.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hm, how can I see what tracks are in my iCloud library then? I thought making a Smart Playlist was the way.

My Music is your iCloud Library.

Yeah, it was stuff I listened to via a playlist, but I added that playlist to my playlists first. Looking at My Music, that didn't add those songs individually. Shame since I added those hearts while I was driving and couldn't add to My Music at the time...

so wait... you added an Apple Music playlist to your playlists, but it didn't add the songs to your My Music? That doesn't sound right. Do you have the "Show Songs Available Offline" turned on?

borghe

Why are there not playlists for the current top Pop/rock/hip hop/etc tracks?

Apple Music playlists are curated. That playlist would literally change multiple times a day. I DO understand what you're asking for, but I don't think that playlists would be the right way to handle that.

edit - yeah, I looked all through the charts. Does NOT seem to be an easy way to do it.. Still, I think it is in OUR best interest to leave Apple Music playlists as curated, as that's a major feature of the service. the minute we start being ok with them be algorithms, at that point we have no way of knowing if a specific list was actually thoughtfully put together by someone, or just thrown together because they are all Hot Pop tracks.

but yeah, would be nice if at the top of a list of songs or something, anywhere in Music, there'd be a "..." that would be like "add all songs to music"

Ermac

My Music is your iCloud Library.

?

But I have iCloud Music Library turned off on all my devices. What's strange is when I updated iTunes on my Mac, I chose Do not Use iCloud Music Library, but it started downloading tracks from my desktop anyway. Which is strange because I specifically did not turn it on on my desktop.

That's why I'm wondering if I have albums in iCloud and how to see them..

parasight

My Apple Music songs are greyed out and I can't "Add to Music" or "Make Available Offline" in my iTunes. This keeps happening. If I close and reboot iTunes it'll go away but it comes back shortly after. Currently have iCloud Music Library turned off. Any solutions?

borghe

That's why I'm wondering if I have albums in iCloud and how to see them..

got it.

well I'd say just turn on iCloud Music Library and look. You can always turn it off (it absolutely should NOT mess with your content on disk). otherwise... umm... you could try what you are saying... Not sure that it will work, but might as well try it.

My Apple Music songs are greyed out and I can't "Add to Music" or "Make Available Offline" in my iTunes. This keeps happening. If I close and reboot iTunes it'll go away but it comes back shortly after. Currently have iCloud Music Library turned off. Any solutions?

Two things. When it goes away, immediately go to Settings and look to see if iCloud Music Library gets turned off. Second, when I was having issues with iCL being turned off yesterday, I was having SERIOUS connectivity issues with Apple Music on AT&T LTE. Once I was on wifi (aka a stable connection), all of those issues (greyed songs and iCL turning off) went away.

So yeah, check if iCL is turned off... and also check to see what kind of connectivity you currently have.

Majora

Songs in Apple Music playlists don't automatically get added to your library. Think of adding an Apple Music playlist more like 'following' (as with Spotify).

Ermac

got it.

well I'd say just turn on iCloud Music Library and look. You can always turn it off (it absolutely should NOT mess with your content on disk). otherwise... umm... you could try what you are saying... Not sure that it will work, but might as well try it.

That's what I was worried about. When my Mac was being updated with Desktop tracks (before I cancelled it), the album art on some albums were definitely wrong.

Oh well. Making a smart playlist with location = iCloud gives me everything I've bought from iTunes (not much), which makes sense that it's in iCloud.

parasight

Two things. When it goes away, immediately go to Settings and look to see if iCloud Music Library gets turned off. Second, when I was having issues with iCL being turned off yesterday, I was having SERIOUS connectivity issues with Apple Music on AT&T LTE. Once I was on wifi (aka a stable connection), all of those issues (greyed songs and iCL turning off) went away.

So yeah, check if iCL is turned off... and also check to see what kind of connectivity you currently have.

So it's because I have ICL turned off? I did that manually because it was duplicating all the songs in my Library. I realize it's not actually stored locally, but I shuffle my Library a lot and having duplicates of all 6000+ songs is a problem.

Moreche

I think the service is fantastic although it's the first music streaming service I've used.
Love listening to beats one while browsing gaf on my iPad.

borghe

So it's because I have ICL turned off? I did that manually because it was duplicating all the songs in my Library. I realize it's not actually stored locally, but I shuffle my Library a lot and having duplicates of all 6000+ songs is a problem.

yes, iCL has to be on to add stuff to My Music (which is required to then make available offline)

unfortunate about your duplicates. It seems those of us coming from Match (and already suffered through the potentially god awful setup of that service) were able to migrate into Music flawlessly. But yeah, thinking back to Match 2-3 years ago... IIRC it took me DAYS to get that squared away. IMHO it was worth it... once you get it perfect, the service (including Music) is so friggin good. but yeah, I spent hours fixing that cluster f*** setup. Hundreds of songs ineligible, but then magically matched or uploaded after 1 to 5 times of removing them and adding them back. Duplicates showing up that I never knew about because iTunes automatically hid them. Albums where like 11 of the tracks are matched but like 3 tracks are uploaded (usually gap/gapless inconsistencies). etc. So to me, it's worth going through the growing pain.. because once it's set, it is so so so good.

SeanR1221

Apple Music playlists are curated. That playlist would literally change multiple times a day. I DO understand what you're asking for, but I don't think that playlists would be the right way to handle that.

edit - yeah, I looked all through the charts. Does NOT seem to be an easy way to do it.. Still, I think it is in OUR best interest to leave Apple Music playlists as curated, as that's a major feature of the service. the minute we start being ok with them be algorithms, at that point we have no way of knowing if a specific list was actually thoughtfully put together by someone, or just thrown together because they are all Hot Pop tracks.

but yeah, would be nice if at the top of a list of songs or something, anywhere in Music, there'd be a "..." that would be like "add all songs to music"

Then Spotify is the clear winner. I love subbing to the top hits and having it constantly update.

Slayven

I try to listen to b1 and it blops for a second and then goes back. Is this a windows issues? Or do I have to have QuickTime installed?

borghe

Then Spotify is the clear winner. I love subbing to the top hits and having it constantly update.

umm.. I wasn't disagreeing with what you want. I understand the desire for it. I was simply saying I disagreed that playlists are the way to do that. Leave playlists curated so all users KNOW playlists are curated, but then put a feature in to follow top genre charts and stuff. Doing it with a playlist ruins the consistency of their entire intent.

Phreaker

I love it so far. I guess I'll download my 22,000+ matched iTune songs for safe keeping, get rid of iTunes Match, and just go with Apple Music.

Hated it at first but I've come around to it. Cancelled Google, keeping Spotify and this. I think I'll use Spotify for music discovery and this as my main music service.

borghe

I love it so far. I guess I'll download my 22,000+ matched iTune songs for safe keeping, get rid of iTunes Match, and just go with Apple Music.

IMHO, iTunes Match is still a no brainer for $2/month effectively. Here's why I've decided to keep both:

Apple Music for Music I don't own (no duh)

iTunes Match for:
DRM-free cloud backup of all of my owned music (~9000 tracks)
DRM-free integration with Apple Music (anything that is matched or purchased in iTunes or the Music app is done so through Match, not Music. so downloads and stuff are DRM-free)
(currently) access through Apple TV (eventually Music will come)

The first two alone IMHO justify the $2/month extra. Basically I think of it as a $2/month premium on top of Apple Music for those extra features.

edit - lol... just got a Welcome email from Apple Music... yeah... yuo guys REALLY should have put something like this in the app at launch.. instead of an email 3 days later.. Much better explanation of what the tabs are

For You
Handpicked recommendations based on what you already listen to and love.

New
Our music experts give you their take on what's worth hearing.

Radio
Music and culture broadcasting on Beats 1 from Los Angeles, New York, and London.

Connect
A new way to connect with your favorite artists and get audio, videos, and photos straight from the source.

My Music
Your entire music library alongside the entire Apple Music library.

HUELEN10

For me, I don't need iTunes Match, but I hope they keep it arounf from those that can actually benefit from it, or if they choose to get rid of it, integrate the DRM-freeness of it into Apple MUSIC.

Only time will tell of course.

xnipx

I haven't seen this answered anywhere but do non-mainstream songs in my iTunes library still get uploaded to the cloud? Or just the songs/albums that can be found on iTunes? Pretty much my whole music collection is mixtapes/unreleased music and I use Beats/Spotify for mainstream albums that I can stream without taking up space.

I haven't seen this answered anywhere but do non-mainstream songs in my iTunes library still get uploaded to the cloud? Or just the songs/albums that can be found on iTunes? Pretty much my whole music collection is mixtapes/unreleased music and I use Beats/Spotify for mainstream albums that I can stream without taking up space.

In theory, if it's not on Apple Music, it gets uploaded for the cloud for you to stream. I think the song might need to be under a certain length though, I've got some podcasts/audiobooks that were mislabeled as music after various hard drive moves, and a bunch of them were marked as ineligible for cloud upload. I don't think I've had any problems with actual songs, though. It takes fucking forever (because my upload speeds are slow, not Apple's fault), I've got ~17,000 and like a 5 megabit upload speed, I've been uploading on and off since iTunes 12.2 came out and I'm still in the E section of my library.

SeanR1221

umm.. I wasn't disagreeing with what you want. I understand the desire for it. I was simply saying I disagreed that playlists are the way to do that. Leave playlists curated so all users KNOW playlists are curated, but then put a feature in to follow top genre charts and stuff. Doing it with a playlist ruins the consistency of their entire intent.

No reason to be so snarky.

It's just weird Spotify can figure it out but apple can't.

Apple needs to find a way to match this. Most people I know with Spotify depend on features like that to play current music at parties/gatherings.

neshcom

Banned
so wait... you added an Apple Music playlist to your playlists, but it didn't add the songs to your My Music? That doesn't sound right. Do you have the "Show Songs Available Offline" turned on?
Exactly. I don't have "Available Offline" turned on, but I also didn't download the playlists; I only added/plussed them.

I guess I understand being able to follow a playlist, but not adding the tracks and not storing that Loved data is balls. If it did, Loved would be my #1 used feature.

Enco

The radio/discovery features are better here than those in Spotify in my opinion.

The app also seems more responsive.

The UI is still garbage and too convoluted to be my new go to though. Apple have been dropping the ball since Apple Maps with design and quality control.

hyp

Songs in Apple Music playlists don't automatically get added to your library. Think of adding an Apple Music playlist more like 'following' (as with Spotify).

I agree. this is the only "feature" I miss from spotify. adding songs to a playlist without them being added to "My Music."

DOWN

Banned
Apple Music: so unfortunate

How in the world did this launch years after Spotify and not beat it with a sweeping win in design? How did this adopt Beats Music and somehow butcher some of the simplest successes of that UI?

Majora

No reason to be so snarky.

It's just weird Spotify can figure it out but apple can't.

Apple needs to find a way to match this. Most people I know with Spotify depend on features like that to play current music at parties/gatherings.

Right at the bottom of the 'New' tab are A-List playlists in different genres. The blurb says they get updated with new songs each week. Is that not similar to what you're looking for? Seems basically like a top 30 list of each genre to me, give or take.

And, not to sound flippant, but couldn't you just put the top chart on shuffle at a party if you wanted?

ZeroX03

Banned
My Music app has reverted all of my purchased songs back to their original artist. Now I've got a whole bunch of "X feat. Y" instead of my well organized system. Disabled Apple Music, Genius & iCloud Library and resynced but they're still staying that way. Good job Apple...

e: lost most of my artist artwork too and the app is constantly crashing.

Majora

This is annoying:

- Add a single song from an album to your library. Can be purchased or just from Apple Music
- Go to library
- Open song and try to add the rest of the album in one go

You can't. You either have to remove that one song first and then add the whole album or you have to add the whole album as offline. Or add each song one by one. Silly. I just now had to actively remove a downloaded purchased track from my library to avoid having to add the other 39 tracks to my library individually.

Top Bottom