• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

igor

But do you really want to download 10K songs? I used to be the biggest proponent of your entire library on your device, but since Match three years ago I can't ever see me doing that again. At most if I know I will be offline (plane trip, etc) I'll pick 5-10 playlists to download.

I'm not a playlist listener as such so yeah, I actually do go through my entire library on a regular basis, and sometimes I hop through 10 different genres in a day. I tend to rediscover the music on my iPod more often when I am away from wifi. Guess I will do it overtime but it's an annoyance nonetheless. Especially that syncing was always an essential and the most basic/brainless function on an iPod... gimping it doesn't make much sense from the functionality point of view, IMO.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
People saying "curated" playlists are better in iTunes music than the playlists on Spotify are crazy. You are using Spotify wrong... It is a social app and music service that has thousands and thousands of curators, unlike iTunes music which is limited. Apple distortion field is alive and well even though jobs died...
Thousands and thousands of playlists from teenagers with bad tastes (or quite frankly any of my friends) to sift through shit, or hundreds upon hundreds of playlists put together by people setting out to essentially make a solid mix tape.

It's not even close.

Of course there are some great playlist creators on Spotify, and no one said otherwise. The problem is in the discovery, which is the entire point you missed. In the case of Music, Apple says "oh you just added Blah to your library. Here's some similar stuff or influenced/influencing stuff you also might really like."

In the case of Spotify it's "hmm, let's do a search and just sit there browsing through random playlists til we find something". And even when you do find something, there's not exactly any string tying it to another related great playlist.

Tl;dr there are certainly great playlists on Spotfiy, but absolutely no good way to discover them.

Edit - not to mention one huge thing about Apple Music is that playlists aren't limited to only what's on the service. They'll include essential or must-listen songs even if they're not on the service. That right there in my eyes elevates the legitimacy of the playlists beyond "here's some great stuff. There might even be a greater song or two but we can't include it here." Of course that's because Apple then has a store you can buy it from, but still when I see Intro to Sonic Youth or such and a key song is missing, it sets off a flag in my mind. Not to mention if that album DOES come onto the service, in Apple's case the song will instantly be available in your collection of you added the playlist. On Spotify, you're up to the mercy of the creator or you happen to realize it was added and then have to go back and add it yourselves.

Edit 2 - I mentioned Sonic Youth above specifically, because the Intro to Sonic Youth playlist on Apple Music is missing everything from Daydream Nation, arguably one of their most acclaimed albums. So do you leave songs like Teenage Riot off the list? I think any fan of the band would instantly question the completeness of such a list.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Apple Music has some nice playlists but they're really short from my experience (typically about 12 or 13 songs).

Google Play Music has the absolute best discovery and curated playlists out there. Google's purchase of Songza was really a stroke of genius. It's a shame they don't put more effort into marketing their service. You'll never see a playlist like 80's Training Montage on Apple Music or Spotify. Too good.

borghe

I think that's always going to come down to preference. I personally feel that anything over say 15-20 songs stops being a playlist and is just "meh here's a bunch of songs that sort of have this in common. It's more work than I care though to select truly the best of the best or most meaningful in this bunch."

I get that some just want a massive list of music that can play for hours and hours on end without repeat or stop. I look at playlists as mix tapes. Each one should be complete, self contained and able to be enjoyed entirely in one extended sitting.

But I do recognize it's entirely preference.

Edit -for what it's worth I have a "mellow" playlist that I put together almost 10 years ago. 198 songs. Since Music launched I sent it to my wife and it only loaded like ~90 of the songs for her. Not sure why (guessing it had to do with me having Match). Anywho, it was then that I realized "seriously, do I need 198 songs in a playlist? Or can I create a mellow playlist with like 25 of these songs that will just thrust you into a coma for the next decade?"

Since then I've actually worked to create two solid playlists. Is one way better than the other? Maybe not, but the difference has been with the 198 song one the only criteria was "yeah this is mellow-ish". With the 25ish track ones, it comes down to "is there really a place on here for this song?"

blackflag

Threads long and I'm sure someone has had this issue. I've read a lot but can't read every page.

I have artists and songs that won't upload to icloud. They used to work when I had match.

Not sure what the deal is but every Beatles album fails except 2 songs on one of them. Most of Tool also fails.

Anyone figure out how to fix this?

SuperPac

Prior to Apple Music I'd given Spotify, Rdio and Beats a try. I'm the type of person that doesn't have the time or inclination to sort through or search for music I might like. I have a couple of artists I've liked for years and listen to the radio but finding new music is a challenge. Most of my good friends are either the same or frankly aren't into music I'd like (spotify's social playlists were OK but did nothing for music discovery in my case).

The "For You" section of Apple Music is great - gave me playlists I knew I'd like along with lists of things I might like (and as it turns out, I do!). That, paired with Beats 1, has brought almost a half dozen bands to my attention that I'd never heard of and like. I consider that a huge win.

The big advantage is the integration with the music I already own or have in my library. The curated playlists are excellent.

I can understand someone who already has many ways of finding new music or someone who spends a lot of time browsing a service wouldn't prefer Apple Music. But for me, this is near-perfect.

Quasar

Threads long and I'm sure someone has had this issue. I've read a lot but can't read every page.

I have artists and songs that won't upload to icloud. They used to work when I had match.

Not sure what the deal is but every Beatles album fails except 2 songs on one of them. Most of Tool also fails.

Anyone figure out how to fix this?

Beyond keep trying I'm not sure there is an answer. I know with some tracks on mine if I disable and re-enable icloud library enough times some tracks finally upload rather than failing with a generic error. I really wish the error messages were clear enough to tell my why they fail.

Quasar

The big advantage is the integration with the music I already own or have in my library. The curated playlists are excellent.

I think if the former just worked (like it does with Google Music and even Xbox Music err Groove) there'd be more happier people. The fact that people have to fight the system just to integrate their music is really unfortunate.

blackflag

Beyond keep trying I'm not sure there is an answer. I know with some tracks on mine if I disable and re-enable icloud library enough times some tracks finally upload rather than failing with a generic error. I really wish the error messages were clear enough to tell my why they fail.

Thanks, I actually think I had this same problem with iTunes Match and finally got them to work.

kaskade

Basically every link to iTunes is to the store. Why the hell don't they have an option right in there to add to my music library or at least open in Apple music?

holygeesus

Banned
Actually what's worked for me is to go to Settings, Music, turn off iCloud Music Library wait a moment then turn it back on.

No, doesn't seem to work here. Just before bed, I tried clicking 'update iCloud library' or similar, in iTunes, and it updated my library to the incorrect one to match my iPhone.

Literally cried myself to sleep...

neshcom

Banned
Basically every link to iTunes is to the store. Why the hell don't they have an option right in there to add to my music library or at least open in Apple music?

If you're opening on mobile from Twitter or Facebook, you gotta open the link in a browser. When I open through Tweetbot's browser, it goes to iTunes, but direct opens go to Apple Music.

Quasar

Thanks, I actually think I had this same problem with iTunes Match and finally got them to work.

I just wish it worked for me more. Sure it got a handful of tracks to upload after a handful of times tried. But I still have lots of albums that always fail and more albums with random tracks that failed.

I just wish I could understand why its failing. And sadly there's no log files or useful error messages to look at.

neshcom

Banned
I just wish it worked for me more. Sure it got a handful of tracks to upload after a handful of times tried. But I still have lots of albums that always fail and more albums with random tracks that failed.

I just wish I could understand why its failing. And sadly there's no log files or useful error messages to look at.

I had a specific problem where the files I brought into iTunes weren't MP3s. Can you convert to MP3 in iTunes, delete the failed tracks, and upload those?

Quasar

I had a specific problem where the files I brought into iTunes weren't MP3s. Can you convert to MP3 in iTunes, delete the failed tracks, and upload those?

I could. My library is mostly ALAC and AACs. And given it uploads most but not all files in those formats I find it hard to believe its a format issue.

Edit: well at least with one album creating 256k aac versions of the alac tracks in itunes makes no difference. The aac version errors when uploaded.

Is there any easy way to share stuff to friends short of using the link to e-mail them?

On spotify I am always firing albums to folk and vice versa, as much as I dislike facebook integration in my apps, I want it in this.

SeanR1221

I am using iPad, but I guess this is the same

"Add to My Music" adds it , "Make Available Offline" downloads it

I clicked the plus button on an album and it downloaded it...

This is especially a problem when you add a playlist that has a couple songs from a specific album. That album then shows up in my music and if you want the full thing you either push the plus button getting ALL the songs to download to your phone or you have to individually add each song to your music :/

Is there any easy way to share stuff to friends short of using the link to e-mail them?

On spotify I am always firing albums to folk and vice versa, as much as I dislike facebook integration in my apps, I want it in this.

I am on iPad,, but you can go to Share Song, which will bring up a whole lot of share options including Email, Text Message, Twitter, Facebook. There is also the option to just copy a link url and do what you want with it

I clicked the plus button on an album and it downloaded it...

This is especially a problem when you add a playlist that has a couple songs from a specific album. That album then shows up in my music and if you want the full thing you either push the plus button getting ALL the songs to download to your phone or you have to individually add each song to your music :/

I am just trying this myself, I pressed + on an album (Watch the Throne), and it added it to My Music (no download). I then went to that album in My Music, and the option is there to download each song separately, or download the whole album

Downloading music is always a secondly step for me after I add to My Music. It will never auto do it upon simply adding to My Music.

There are my options after adding a whole an Album to My Music

6TwV8tA.png

I am on iPad,, but you can go to Share Song, which will bring up a whole lot of share options including Email, Text Message, Twitter, Facebook. There is also the option to just copy a link url and do what you want with it

Nice, I am just using it on PC via iTunes and only get the option to e-mail or copy link. I'll try it on iPad later.

borghe

Nice, I am just using it on PC via iTunes and only get the option to e-mail or copy link. I'll try it on iPad later.
Yeah PC is going to be the weak link there. OS X and iOS just use the Share To... API for Apple Music. So anything that registers to allow you to share text will show up to share music.

Yeah PC is going to be the weak link there. OS X and iOS just use the Share To... API for Apple Music. So anything that registers to allow you to share text will show up to share music.

That's the main stumbling block for me to move completely over, iTunes on Windows still feels like a horrible app to use. I loved using it on OSX and Music on iOS is fine too.

Their curated playlists are too short.

I'm a runner. I run at least 10 miles almost every day. My Spotify running playlist has around 240 songs on it and that's still not enough.

So I check out the Apple running playlists and they have like 15 songs on them. What's the point? Do they think I'm just going to listen to those same 15 songs every time I run? Worthless. I think it shows they really don't know how people are using playlists (running playlists specifically).

SeanR1221

I am just trying this myself, I pressed + on an album (Watch the Throne), and it added it to My Music (no download). I then went to that album in My Music, and the option is there to download each song separately, or download the whole album

Downloading music is always a secondly step for me after I add to My Music. It will never auto do it upon simply adding to My Music.

There are my options after adding a whole an Album to My Music

6TwV8tA.png

Then I have something selected. Anyone know? I want to build a collection with only certain things available offline.

borghe

Their curated playlists are too short.

I'm a runner. I run at least 10 miles almost every day. My Spotify running playlist has around 240 songs on it and that's still not enough.

So I check out the Apple running playlists and they have like 15 songs on them. What's the point? Do they think I'm just going to listen to those same 15 songs every time I run? Worthless. I think it shows they really don't know how people are using playlists (running playlists specifically).
ha. I disagreed with the general thought that playlists were too short above...

but, I'll grant you a running playlists should probably be at least 2 hours. although 10 miles even at a 10 minute pace is still less than 2 hours. you can't get through 240 songs in that time.

I mentioned above that I honestly do feel they know how people use playlists (actual playlists, not song dump lists), but yeah, some playlists, while not 200+ songs, should probably be at least a couple of hours. Running, road trips, etc With that being said, I don't imagine it's easy (or even realistic?) to put a playlist together like that that you feel good about and feels complete, without it just turning into a song dump. Song dumps are fine for when you just need hours and hours of music going without action, but they aren't really playlists that have much cohesion or meaning to them.

Phreaker

Yup, same problem. I have original Shine added to my music since day 1 of Apple Music
(waiting for the preorder!)
, so when I download to offline there's no problem...

Thanks, glad it's not just me. Something is seriously messed up with Shine and adding it from Apple Music to your library. Either the remixes, which it just incorrectly lists all 4 as Shine. Then adding the non-remixed version is impossible since it disconnects you from your library - pretty frustrating tbh.

Any details on what we can expect from Apple when it comes to iTunes 13 and iOS 9's Music app? I have an Android at the moment so I can only test drive Apple Music through iTunes. I like it, but some of it's potential is being held back due to how cluttered everything is in iTunes. I couldn't find any details on iTunes 13 on the web, but I hope it is built from the ground up with a less cluttered, more intuitive UI. What is everyone's overall feeling on the iOS app and what tweaks could be made?

So today i went and used my brothers phone, he has not updated and dare i say the music app was better in 8.3.

The extra music is great but the actual UI of music app seems much better than what is available in 8.4.

UI not music library now available.

Any details on what we can expect from Apple when it comes to iTunes 13 and iOS 9's Music app? I have an Android at the moment so I can only test drive Apple Music through iTunes. I like it, but some of it's potential is being held back due to how cluttered everything is in iTunes. I couldn't find any details on iTunes 13 on the web, but I hope it is built from the ground up with a less cluttered, more intuitive UI. What is everyone's overall feeling on the iOS app and what tweaks could be made?

iOS 9's music app will likely be very similar if not identical to the 8.4 one. Hopefully some bug fixes/ UI tweaks.

I wouldn't expect iTunes 13 this year, if ever. Hopefully, Apple have a brand new Music app included with OS X 10.12 next year. There might be some tweaks with iTunes 12, but we're likely stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

borghe

Thanks, glad it's not just me. Something is seriously messed up with Shine and adding it from Apple Music to your library. Either the remixes, which it just incorrectly lists all 4 as Shine. Then adding the non-remixed version is impossible since it disconnects you from your library - pretty frustrating tbh.

yeah, something is messed up. The remixes show up correctly when you search for it in Music, but when you add it to My Music it screws up. Doesn't look like the non-remix (or new album) is available on Apple Music yet.

So today i went and used my brothers phone, he has not updated and dare i say the music app was better in 8.3.

The extra music is great but the actual UI of music app seems much better than what is available in 8.4.

UI not music library now available.
It's give and take.. Which I think is why most are bothered. There are some things that are absolutely better.. Up Next (which has been asked for for years, and has been in itunes for a few years), a more convenient Now Playing system, on-the-fly re-ordering of upcoming tracks, better handling of recently added, etc

the biggest problems are going from music/artist to music/artist/album/etc is not as fluid as it should be, there are more than a couple bugs, and the thing is ridiculously memory hungry giving you varying performance on everything. Even the 2GB Air 2 isn't perfect given the weightier heft of the iPad version.

Mostly growing pains. In a year or so we won't ever be able to imagine how we lived with the old Music apps.. And I don't think Apple would have benefited at all by holding this back (it needed to come out NOW just for the subscription piece). But yeah, in the meantime, there are more than a few growing pains present.

but, I'll grant you a running playlists should probably be at least 2 hours. although 10 miles even at a 10 minute pace is still less than 2 hours. you can't get through 240 songs in that time.

The point is, I don't want to get through all the songs in one run. Like I said, I run almost every day. Having 240 songs means that if I set it to random, hopefully I don't hear a song again for a week or more.

Though Spotify's "random" functionality is such crap that it hardly ever works out that way. That's a whole other story, though.

borghe

The point is, I don't want to get through all the songs in one run. Like I said, I run almost every day. Having 240 songs means that if I set it to random, hopefully I don't hear a song again for a week or more.

Though Spotify's "random" functionality is such crap that it hardly ever works out that way. That's a whole other story, though.

yeah, I understand this. I don't think a music "curator" would ever be able to (or try to) accomplish what you're saying. I mean really.. you don't want a playlist but "a shitload of songs" that will play uninterrupted and without repeat. arguably that's not a playlist, because neither content nor order nor fine tuning matter.

but really I'm splitting hairs. Though I really don't think you'll ever find that outside of some community member putting something specifically like that together, regardless of service.

I am still not sure if apple not making community creations accessible is good or bad. I think most of the community stuff on Spotify is awful.. but at the same time if you WANT to search through that (like for what you're saying) there is no mechanism. So someone (like you) could actually create such a playlist, but then there's no easy way to share it outside of like posting the link on a blog, twitter, facebook, etc.

SeanR1221

Ok so now this is really weird.

I added one song from queens of the Stone Age from their album songs for the deaf to my "favorites" playlist.

So now the album shows under my music with just one song. No plus button to even add it. I have to push show rest of album and add each song individually.

What obvious thing am I missing here?

borghe

I added one song from queens of the Stone Age from their album songs for the deaf to my "favorites" playlist.

So now the album shows under my music with just one song. No plus button to even add it. I have to push show rest of album and add each song individually.

hoping someone chimes in... because what you are seeing is exactly what I'm seeing. If you add one song from an album, in your library there is no quick way to add the rest of the album.

I am not sure but you can try searching for the album again in Music (sigh), and try adding the entire album directly from Music...

Phreaker

yeah, something is messed up. The remixes show up correctly when you search for it in Music, but when you add it to My Music it screws up. Doesn't look like the non-remix (or new album) is available on Apple Music yet.

Are there supposed to be songs you can play via Apple Music, but not add them to your library? (other than the one I'm having the problem with) I can listen to the non-remixed version, but when I click the + button it to add it to my library it disconnects me (broken cloud and does not get added to my library even though it shows a checkmark).

iu4Hi2G5IqDeN.png

^ See the plus turned into a check mark, but it disconnected me. :(

Partition

Banned
just figured out something that really pisses me off

I downloaded an album leak the other day (that I fully intend on buying when it's out in a week) but iTunes will not allow me copy the album to my iPhone because I have 'iCloud Music Library' enabled. I was about to turn that off but then it said it would remove all my Apple Music. Really annoyed. Is there not a way to download leaked music to your iPhone anymore if you want to use Apple Music?

guess I will be burning a CD like the old days

just figured out something that really pisses me off

I downloaded an album leak the other day (that I fully intend on buying when it's out in a week) but iTunes will not allow me copy the album to my computer because I have 'iCloud Music Library' enabled. I was about to turn that off but then it said it would remove all my Apple Music. Really annoyed. Is there not a way to download leaked music to your iPhone anymore if you want to use Apple Music?

guess I will be burning a CD like the old days

1. Put music files into your iTunes library, (My Music).
2. Wait for files to upload/match to the iCloud Music Library, if it takes too long, try right clicking and selecting "Add to iCloud Music Library"

When you get a message that 'iCloud Music Library' is enabled that's usually in the Music tab under device (your iPhone). Just remember to click on the music icon to go to My Music.

SeanR1221

hoping someone chimes in... because what you are seeing is exactly what I'm seeing. If you add one song from an album, in your library there is no quick way to add the rest of the album.

I am not sure but you can try searching for the album again in Music (sigh), and try adding the entire album directly from Music...

Ok so I'm not crazy. Glad I'm not alone.

Phreaker

This happened because it has to add a song to your library for you to have it in your playlist. You didn't add the whole album so it's not there, just the song you added to your playlist. Here's what I do, but it should be easier. Go to My Music, go the the Artist, select All (instead of My Music), scroll down to the album, click the album, now click the plus sign to add the whole album to your library.

This happened because it has to add a song to your library for you to have it in your playlist. You didn't add the whole album so it's not there, just the song you added to your playlist. Here's what I do, but it should be easier. Go to My Music, go the the Artist, select All (instead of My Music), scroll down to the album, click the album, now click the plus sign to add the whole album to your library.

Yup, this appears to be the best way to do it as Apple Music is currently constituted.

Top Bottom