• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Kaladin

Yeah.....I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the match part of Apple Music and I'm keeping my collection far away from it.

As it stands, I'm not keeping this service.

I moved my entire 22k song collection to google play and deleted all my songs off iCloud. Now I just pick and choose which mixtapes I want on Apple music and the experience has been 100x nicer. The vast majority of my local collection was on Apple music anyway

I moved my entire 22k song collection to google play and deleted all my songs off iCloud. Now I just pick and choose which mixtapes I want on Apple music and the experience has been 100x nicer. The vast majority of my local collection was on Apple music anyway

This might be better for artists anyway, do they pay per stream only when it's an Apple Music track and not one matched from your collection?

What I did was make a separate library for Apple Music (with iCloud Music Library enabled) and kept my original library with it off (my lossless library). Too scared of what may happen.

neshcom

Banned
This might be better for artists anyway, do they pay per stream only when it's an Apple Music track and not one matched from your collection?

What I did was make a separate library for Apple Music (with iCloud Music Library enabled) and kept my original library with it off (my lossless library). Too scared of what may happen.
iTunes Matched songs have always reported royalties to artists. Not a lot mind you, but I'm sure it's similar to the Spotify/AMusic model.

Protome

I fully intended to ride out Apple Music for the free three months before deciding which service to stick with but my time with it since launch has been just hassle after hassle. Back to Google Play I go, goodbye forever Apple.

My main issues sometimes seem like relatively minor annoying niggley things, but as it turns out are the main ways I use these apps.

1. Similar Artists is a half implemented mess which also only seems to work 50% of the time. Other times it just loads a blank page. Even when it does work it's just a list of artists and you need to manually back out and search for them.

2. Adding multiple albums to your queue to shuffle + repeat doesn't work properly/at all. If you are listening to an album and you want to add another one to the list you can only "Add to Up Next" which replaces your current queue and will resume your current queue when Up Next is complete, not allowing for shuffling and repeating. Which is insane.

3. To get around this i actually started making playlist for the first time in years. So I open up my music queue, go to the album and hit add to playlist...for it to open a blank screen. Because you can't make a playlist in the add the playlist menu, you need to back all the way out to the playlist section of the app to do it. Like seriously, this is basic functionality that literally every other one of these services is capable of.

The amount of times it has crashed, given me weird server connect errors despite MY connection being fine or broken all the audio playback of my phone because I received a call during a song (is this an iOS issue or Apple music issue, I dunno) don't help either.

Anyway, rant over. I do like the curated playlist and radio and stuff but it's just not worth the trade off for me.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I haven't had any problem streaming via cellular network. I listen all the time in my car. Your name suggests you might be Australia, so this could be something specific to your carrier?

I believe they are updated. Just checked out Connect and saw the same A-List playlist (Alternative) and noticed it had a few different songs. Looked at my own playlist that I added and the changes were made there too

So you're having issues using the Music app using cellular data? Why do you have to turn off app updates to get mobile data to work?

Being Australian our mobile data limits range form a measly 250mb to max 8GB if you are lucky. Having to turn on mobile data usage just to get Apple Music working is a terrible design flaw, especially when its couple with the other Apple apps like Updates which would chew through my 2.5GB quota. I have anywhere from two to five apps a day updating, some around 25MB or more.

This issue plus not being able to easily just "make" a station from an artist I search for is becoming frustrating and pushing me back to Google Play. At least with Google Play I can look an artist up and start a random selection of them and other's like them at a click of a button.

KingKong

2. Adding multiple albums to your queue to shuffle + repeat doesn't work properly/at all. If you are listening to an album and you want to add another one to the list you can only "Add to Up Next" which replaces your current queue and will resume your current queue when Up Next is complete, not allowing for shuffling and repeating. Which is insane.

3. To get around this i actually started making playlist for the first time in years. So I open up my music queue, go to the album and hit add to playlist...for it to open a blank screen. Because you can't make a playlist in the add the playlist menu, you need to back all the way out to the playlist section of the app to do it. Like seriously, this is basic functionality that literally every other one of these services is capable of.

had the exact same issue. the way I've been using Spotify is adding new albums I want to listen to as playlists so I can remember and not mess with my library, but as you said it's a pain in the ass to do this on Apple Music. it's even more frustrating because:

- up next is cleared when you close the app
- adding music to a playlist adds it to your library and even worse, deleting the playlist doesn't remove them from your library

Anyone else getting this message in iTunes:

The shared library “Cloud Music Library” is not responding. (503)

Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has been set to allow communication on port 443.

I don't know what happened but Apple music has become a buggy piece of shit for me. I open the app and it opens to the join Apple music and pick your plan page twice today when I'm already a member. Then I click a song to stream
and it hasn't started playing thirty seconds later. Just opened spotify and streaming instantly.

what the hell. Starting to feel like if they don't get this to a more solid place and have an import spotify playlist tool I might just go back. The luster is wearing off and I'm finding Siri only works to dictate a song half the time.

ZeroAKA

Anyone else getting this message in iTunes:
I've gotten that message 3 times already today. Restarting iTunes seems to work (at least temporarily).

For some reason, I get locked out of Apple Music whenever I try to add the new CHVRCHES song to my library/playlists on iTunes. I can add the song on my iPhone and iPad, but the song is removed when I get back on iTunes. Every other song I've added works perfectly.

Been getting that message today too. Glad I'm not the only one. Decided to just wipe everything and only add stuff from Apple Music and upload what isn't available on the service. I thought it was because I selected everything and deleted and now it's going a little nuts. It wasn't deleted on my phone, just partially then had to manually delete stuff again before starting over new.

The new Tame Impala album is pretty good, guys.

MickD

Any idea what the "Max" upload (size or length) is per track?

I have some DJ mixes I make and like to keep the in iTunes for reference. Having trouble getting certain things in. It'll take one mix at 130mb but won't take another at 70mb.. Not sure what the deal is.

Phreaker

I've gotten that message 3 times already today. Restarting iTunes seems to work (at least temporarily).

For some reason, I get locked out of Apple Music whenever I try to add the new CHVRCHES song to my library/playlists on iTunes. I can add the song on my iPhone and iPad, but the song is removed when I get back on iTunes. Every other song I've added works perfectly.

OMG, welcome to my hell. It happens on so many new songs for me. As soon as I click the + it knocks me off (broken cloud). The only solution was to do it on my phone. Even then the track still will not show up in My Music in iTunes. Really, it's so frustrating that I will not be signing up for the service.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there a way to tell Apple Music "no, really, I want you to download every song on this album"?

Even when I select the album and choose "show full album" and "make available offline", it's super selective about what it downloads unless I manually add each song one by one.

Number45

is there a way to tell Apple Music "no, really, I want you to download every song on this album"?

Even when I select the album and choose "show full album" and "make available offline", it's super selective about what it downloads unless I manually add each song one by one.
I found this happened when I was trying to make music I already had in my personal library available offline. Since I separated the two it's behaved as expected (not that that's a useful fix for most people).

Is there any fix for artists being sorted under the wrong letter in the app? I remember seeing other people with the same problem after launch, but never followed up on it. Now I've got most of my music uploaded, and it's pretty annoying how many artists are sorted incorrectly.

Vyer

I'm confused as to how we're supposed to sync our music now. I have about 7,000 offline songs in my library that I sync from my Mac to my iOS devices via USB.

Now that iTunes Cloud Library is enabled, I can't do this. I was reading about putting every song into a playlist and syncing it that way, but that doesn't seem right.

Last night, I enabled iCloud Music Library on both my Mac and iPhone. I then went to each artist on my iPhone and tapped "Make Available Offline.' As you can imagine, it was quite annoying given the size of my library.

Surely this can't be the new way to sync music. Do I have to add music to iTunes, then make it available offline via my iPhone every time? I guess after this initial load, it won't be so bad but I am getting "unable to download" errors that I am retrying and hoping will work.

Also, where is this iTunes Cloud Library being saved? Am I saving iTunes versions offline, or my original 320kbps MP3s? I have a ton of music that isn't available on iTunes, so what's going to happen with those? Will play counts continue to update when I sync?

I'm thinking about disabling iCloud Music Library altogether, but I'm enjoying being able to save some music from Apple Music offline.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm sort of going crazy here. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

If you want to manually sync and store those songs on the device itself, there's no reason to use iCloud/Match.

Just adding an unnecessary middle step.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
The issue with Smart Playlists is that it doesn't work if you "Like" a song via iOS. I believe it only works on iTunes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the easiest way is when you want to Like a song, add it to a playlist called __A or something that is easy and quick to select. Not as easy as pressing +, but it works.

That is an unfortunate oversight. Especially so since these curated playlists are recommending me more songs I like than Spotify or GPM ever did.

So here's an example of the sorting bug I'm having. It happens a couple more times too, so that near the end of the alphabet everything starts getting super fucked:

EC8w4Dg.jpg

So in that pic, Simon and Garfunkel are showing up under R, then S shows up, then Sleigh Bells show up under R, then S starts again.

Any way to fix this, or do I just have to cross my fingers and hope for 9.0?

edit: didn't realize they'd be so large, deleted the first image cause it wasn't necessary.

Sean

Banned

Man this bug is super annoying. I've had this happen with both the new Halsey single and the new CHVRCHES single (two songs I really like). The fact that it just silently fails is even more frustrating.

So here's an example of the sorting bug I'm having. It happens a couple more times too, so that near the end of the alphabet everything starts getting super fucked:

Any way to fix this, or do I just have to cross my fingers and hope for 9.0?

edit: didn't realize they'd be so large, deleted the first image cause it wasn't necessary.

Go into iTunes and fix the metadata. Highlight all the songs for Simon and Garfunkel and correct artist and album artist to show as Simon & Garfunkel. Sometimes it can be something as small as having a space at the end of the artist name that makes it sort differently. Or in my case a lot of my music used to have "The Smashing Pumpkins" and "Smashing Pumpkins" just have to correct it.

Go into iTunes and fix the metadata. Highlight all the songs for Simon and Garfunkel and correct artist and album artist to show as Simon & Garfunkel. Sometimes it can be something as small as having a space at the end of the artist name that makes it sort differently. Or in my case a lot of my music used to have "The Smashing Pumpkins" and "Smashing Pumpkins" just have to correct it.

Sorry, I should've clarified, the bug is with the alphabetiziation of artists. In that pic, Simon and Garfunkel are showing up under R, then S shows up, then Sleigh Bells show up under R, then S starts again.

If you want to manually sync and store those songs on the device itself, there's no reason to use iCloud/Match.

That's not really true. If you don't turn on iCloud Music Library, you can't make playlists with Apple Music tracks. So either you get stuck with a neutered Apple Music, or you lose control over syncing with your local library. I don't understand why Apple mixed the two concepts together.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't tell if it's just because I have super predictable indie-P4K taste, but the recommendations have actually been ridiculously on point so far. I've listened to a few playlists that have really surprised me. I think I'm going to make the switch in a few months.

Also, the download speeds are so much better.

Akira

I'll be switching to iPhone 6S in September so I'm looking to buy in-ear headphones that have a mic and volume controls compatible with the iPhone. Will be using the Apple Music 3 month trial as well so I'm pretty excited for that. What do you guys use? I'm looking for something less than $50, great sound, and has easy-to-untangle cords.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll be switching to iPhone 6S in September so I'm looking to buy in-ear headphones that have a mic and volume controls compatible with the iPhone. Will be using the Apple Music 3 month trial as well so I'm pretty excited for that. What do you guys use? I'm looking for something less than $50, great sound, and has easy-to-untangle cords.

They aren't fantastic, but really if you are getting a new phone just try out the new Apple includes buds before you rush out and buy something. Worth a shot.

Sorry, I should've clarified, the bug is with the alphabetiziation of artists. In that pic, Simon and Garfunkel are showing up under R, then S shows up, then Sleigh Bells show up under R, then S starts again.

Oh wow, I missed that, try quitting the app and restarting the phone. Turn off iCloud Music Library and turn back on. Maybe that will help.

You are not going to get really great sound for $50, so I'd go with the Brainwavz Delta's. They are half what you arre willing to pay, and I believe they have better sound/build quality that most headphones up around $50-$70

deltaBig.jpg

http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/delta.html

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There needs to be a community-based Connect where you would have your own feed of "retweeted" content, custom playlists, and posted comments. Basically a music-focused tumblr inside of the iTunes app. I'm a narcissist so I always enjoy that stuff, but I would also enjoy following real life / internet friends.

Ibuki

Banned
Is anyone else having problems adding a certain song to My Music? I am trying to add the new CHVRCHES single, and it won't even show up on the Desktop version of iTunes. Every other thing I try to add works perfectly fine. The thing that's even more odd, is it works fine on my phone... Not really a huge deal, but I'd like to have it on my Desktop library if possible.

Is anyone else having problems adding a certain song to My Music? I am trying to add the new CHVRCHES single, and it won't even show up on the Desktop version of iTunes. Every other thing I try to add works perfectly fine. The thing that's even more odd, is it works fine on my phone... Not really a huge deal, but I'd like to have it on my Desktop library if possible.

I'm having the same issue too. Haven't noticed it until you mentioned it. Probably a bug.

ZeroAKA

I had the exact problem a few days ago, but it seems to have fixed itself last night. Still very frustrating though.

GWX

I'm having problems right now.

iTunes (Mac) and no song will stream for me. What rubbish is this? Is Apple Music down?

It's working fine for me. It did take one minute for Major Lazer's latest LP to appear on my library after adding it, though.

GWX

Still no luck over here. It won't stream songs that are in My Library or not. Restarted iTunes, signed out and then back in. Not streaming. Radio works fine though.

Gonna restart my comp and try.

Weird. Could be the ISP. I got two different internet connections in my house (no, I'm not the guy that complained about Apple Wi-Fi because he had two different internet connections under the same SSID), one slow as molasses (1 Mbps down) and one considerably faster (10 Mbps), and the faster one is completely shit most of the time for Apple Music (and Apple system updates, Facebook, PlayStation in general - weird stuff).

Ninja Dom

Weird. Could be the ISP. I got two different internet connections in my house (no, I'm not the guy that complained about Apple Wi-Fi because he had two different internet connections under the same SSID), one slow as molasses (1 Mbps down) and one considerably faster (10 Mbps), and the faster one is completely shit most of the time for Apple Music (and Apple system updates, Facebook, PlayStation in general - weird stuff).

Restart never worked. It just cycles through each song on an album fast without actually playing a song. And I've been using Apple Music fine almost everyday since launch. My iPhone connected to the same wifi network streams everything just fine. Only my iMac is not playing ball today.

Restart never worked. It just cycles through each song on an album fast without actually playing a song. And I've been using Apple Music fine almost everyday since launch. My iPhone connected to the same wifi network streams everything just fine. Only my iMac is not playing ball today.

It's not just you, I'm having the same issue with iTunes on OS X and Windows, my iPhone is still good though.

May I ask why you have two internet connections?

I used to have two, one cable and one DSL lol. DSL was super slow and it was slightly more money over just phone but I've since dropped both the landline and DSL line.

You may need to check out your DNS settings.

GWX

May I ask why you have two internet connections?

I used to have two, one cable and one DSL lol. DSL was super slow and it was slightly more money over just phone but I've since dropped both the landline and DSL line.

You may need to check out your DNS settings.

I have two connections due to phone company bullshitting. We had the 1 Mbps for 9 years now, I believe, and even though the ISP advertise plans up to 10 Mbps downstream, they never have any lines available so I can upgrade. Our phone/slow-as-shit internet bill is pretty cheap (after we called multiple times to haggle and complain), and if we try to cancel the internet service, we have to change the current plan to a more expensive one. We also have 10 Mbps down/3 Mbps up fiber from a different ISP (a local one, rather than a nationwide one), and we have it out of necessity (1 Mbps is way too slow to bare, no matter how expensive the fiber bill is). The fiber service is good enough in many situations, but due to shit proxy/servers/caches (I don't know what's the right term for this) on their side, some websites/internet services never work (as in doesn't even begin to load). They recommend the customers to use the Google DNS addresses - yup, that kind of backyard-based ISP, and it doesn't work too well. I leave two routers on and switch networks frequently, as I need to decide whether I need speed (watch videos, download large files) or consistency (load every single thing, even if slowly).

quick edit: I actually sit down with a couple of technicians from the fiber ISP three times, for nearly three hours each time, to try and solve the issues I was having. They can't figure out what the heck is going on, but since it's the only option in my city, I decided to stuck with the shit service for now, as it does more good than bad.

Top Bottom