• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Is there any fix yet to using the music app on a mobile network? It is a tad frustrating that I have to turn on mobile data usage but turn off app updates if I want to use my mobile data, to which I then forget to change back when I'm on wifi. Its actually starting to push me away from using the app anymore and sticking with Google Music.

I haven't had any problem streaming via cellular network. I listen all the time in my car. Your name suggests you might be Australia, so this could be something specific to your carrier?

MercuryLS

Banned
Is there any fix yet to using the music app on a mobile network? It is a tad frustrating that I have to turn on mobile data usage but turn off app updates if I want to use my mobile data, to which I then forget to change back when I'm on wifi. Its actually starting to push me away from using the app anymore and sticking with Google Music.

This is by far the worst thing with Apple music. I have no idea why they didn't make these things independent of each other.

I found these "A List" playlists for different genres. It looks like all recent top hit songs. I'm guessing these get updated by apple to reflect what's current?

I believe they are updated. Just checked out Connect and saw the same A-List playlist (Alternative) and noticed it had a few different songs. Looked at my own playlist that I added and the changes were made there too

So you're having issues using the Music app using cellular data? Why do you have to turn off app updates to get mobile data to work?

sdornan

Why are remnants of Genius still a part of iTunes? Wasn't it obsoleted by iTunes Radio and subsequently Apple Music stations? Does anyone actually use it anymore?

Why are remnants of Genius still a part of iTunes? Wasn't it obsoleted by iTunes Radio and subsequently Apple Music stations? Does anyone actually use it anymore?

It's handy for when you have an iPod Shuffle or Nano or iPod Classic or don't use Apple Music, just to make the playlists and sync it.

Partition

Banned
I posted in here a while back about the shuffling bug I experienced on playlists (songs being repeated before shuffling through all songs), and I found the issue that causes this

If you are shuffling a playlist, and decide to not open or use the Music app for several hours, when you return to finish playing the song you left off at, it will appear like the app is frozen for a few seconds, then the song starts from the beginning instead of where you left off. From here, it resets the shuffle you had going, and shuffles the playlist anew after every song. Therefore if you have big playlists like I do, there is no way to accurately shuffle through the whole thing (in more than one sitting) with this bug.

I am an apple fan and have been trying out apple music.

I honestly do not see what it offers better than spotify? I am using the trial but i cannot see what exactly is the big thing people like the most from it? People are welcome to drop spotify for it but apple music is not as polished as spotify.

Just wondering

Tabris

I honestly do not see what it offers better than spotify? I am using the trial but i cannot see what exactly is the big thing people like the most from it? People are welcome to drop spotify for it but apple music is not as polished as spotify.

Just wondering

It's not really that different then spotify. The big differences though are:

- A better catalogue.
- Apple ecosystem / sync.

It still needs work on it's "For You" and "New" sections (worst and inaccurate titles) in terms of polish and usability.

For You really needs to look at your current catalogue and favourite songs / most played to determine playlists for you intelligently, then basing it off a quick bubble survey.

Honestly, I'm just using it as free music downloads though. Still listening via my Music Library and just adding new song I like as offline when I hear them or search for them. As long as I exceed 7 ($1.29 each) songs a month, it's a value to me as I used to just buy music off iTunes.

Partition

Banned

Just wondering

- Curated playlists are a huge plus for me, they are much better than Spotify's playlists
- Stations made from songs/artists is like having Pandora combined into the app
- Beats 1
- iCloud Library, as frustrating as it can be to set up, is really cool in the way you can just add a song file to your computer's iTunes and it will automatically be on your phone without having to plug it in at all
- All your music in one app
- Bigger selection than Spotify
- Siri integration

At the moment though there are some bugs / UI quirks so it may be good to just wait until Apple releases updates for it

Quasar

Just wondering

If it worked as advertised, I'd say integration with your own catalog to fill out gaps as well as recommendations. I like their playlists too.

Spotify I'd never pay for simply due to the lack of a music locker. Google Play I'll probably return to if I can't massage Apple Music to accept my library in totality. And I could easily bail if the future Android client is terrible.

I might just harvest playlists and build them in Google Play Music (its major failing).

Majine

Banned
It's like Connect is in beta phase. It keeps changing design and now all the header images of the artists are super small.

Swag

Updated to the new version of iTunes and lost all the Loved attributes on songs within my library but none of the ones I had made for songs on Apple Music

dream

Motherfuck. I signed out of my Apple ID and the Music app deleted everything I had downloaded. Which I sort of understand, but a warning prompt would have been nice.

edit: the app seems to remember what I had downloaded, though, and is automatically regrabbing everything after signing back in. That's kind of neat.

Ambitious

I disabled the iCloud Music Library and manually synced my music to my phone. Now after several days of not using the Music app at all, I just noticed that all of it is gone. There's not a single song on my phone. Fucking great. (Yes, I verified that syncing worked back then)

Good thing I noticed it today, and not tomorrow after hopping on the bus for a two hour trip (+ return trip later). I'd have been fucking furious.

Reminds me of that one time when I took the same bus and realized that for some reason, my favorite album back then was deleted from my device and iTunes Match refused to stream it while every single fucking other album in my whole goddamn library worked just fine. That was great!

Ashhong

I would be 100% content with Apple Music if it just let us save music from the service WITHOUT having to upload all of my current, physical music to the iCloud system. That's just stupid. Why not have the option for "iCloud Music Library -> Sync only Apple Music songs across devices"???????????? Then I could keep my music independent while enjoying the service. Is there any indication that Apple may do this? Or is this an option that I have stupidly missed?

I would be 100% content with Apple Music if it just let us save music from the service WITHOUT having to upload all of my current, physical music to the iCloud system. That's just stupid. Why not have the option for "iCloud Music Library -> Sync only Apple Music songs across devices"???????????? Then I could keep my music independent while enjoying the service. Is there any indication that Apple may do this? Or is this an option that I have stupidly missed?

That would be best, probably in the future they will add that option

Alrighty, now I am annoyed. I made a big playlist that was a combination of stuff from Apple Music and from my personal library. It was on iCloud so I could listen to it offline as well on my phone. All was well for a few days, but now it will not let me sync the playlist due to some of the stuff not being on Apple Music. Actually, it won't let me do anything but listen to it on my computer, even if the songs are on my phone.

Also, things I had on my phone for offline play, such as whole albums, now won't let me download to use offline.

What am I missing here?

Quasar

I want iOS 8.4.1 so badly. If it solves any of the quirks I've experienced. iTunes 12.2.1 is a start...

Well I'm finding the version in 9.0 to have additional bugs. Admittedly mostly just presentation stuff which will get fixed by the time it comes out of beta. But it doesnt really fix any ui issues.

robotrock

Banned
Man, what's up with this stuff changing my album covers? They censored the No Love Deep Web penis, and changed Radiohead's The Bends cover from the actual cover to a greatest hits compilation cover

rezuth

So I've been using this for a while now and its missing a lot of a of afro pop that I love on Spotify. I'm guessing its coming with time and I already see a few more Yemi Alade songs than when I first tried it out.

Beats 1 is great and I enjoy it a lot. They really just care about playing great music and nothing else.

Curated playlists are nice and the introduction to are pretty sweet too. Not seeing a lot of new stuff that I haven't listened to yet but i'm guessing it will come with time.

The audio quality is miles above Spotify IMO.

I like it a lot but I can't fully switch until the afro pop section gets upgraded, also missing some niche stuff like Froggy Fresh.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is there no way to see the equivalent of 'For You' or 'Now' tabs in iTunes? I feel like I'm missing something here

yeah, you are missing something. Those tabs are literally there. Try signing out and signing back in. They should be at the top with My Music, Playlists, For You, Radio, etc

Ambitious

iTunes has once again ruined my library.

When AM launched, I posted about having lost hundreds of song ratings. Now, of course I disabled both AM and IML, so I have no clue what caused this, but something similar happened: Today, I noticed quite a lot of songs with grey rating stars. I did a quick Google search and learned that grey ratings are basically calculated ratings: If an album is rated with grey stars, the value is the average of the song ratings. If a song is rated with grey stars, then this means that the album has been rated as a whole. Every song in that album which has not been explicitly rated will have the same value as the album, just in grey.

So I scrolled through my library and realized that dozens of albums have ratings and hundreds of songs have grey stars. I never rate albums. I spent the last few months rating every single song in my library. Which means that the actual ratings of those few hundreds songs are gone again.

KingKong

yeah, you are missing something. Those tabs are literally there. Try signing out and signing back in. They should be at the top with My Music, Playlists, For You, Radio, etc

hmm I updated to the latest version last night and all it added was Radio and Connect, I'll try signing out and in

I am definitely going to subscribe after the trial. I spend so much money on music a month and this will save me a boat load with being able to listen to music offline on my iPad.

Frazley

I was under the impression from everything that I read that the limit was for uploaded songs, but after uploading 3,000 songs and adding a bunch through Apple Music I ran into my library limit around 25,000 total. Is this normal or a glitch? I was unable to add more Apple Music tracks or upload more songs.

Neil Young says he's pulling he's music from streaming:

Streaming has ended for me. I hope this is ok for my fans.
It's not because of the money, although my share (like all the other artists) was dramatically reduced by bad deals made without my consent.
It's about sound quality. I don't need my music to be devalued by the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution. I don't feel right allowing this to be sold to my fans. It's bad for my music.
For me, It's about making and distributing music people can really hear and feel. I stand for that.
When the quality is back, I'll give it another look. Never say never.
Neil Young

https://www.facebook.com/NeilYoung/posts/10155765667375317:0

don't see how the quality is different when buying a song through iTunes and downloading the song through Apple Music but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Google

Neil Young says he's pulling he's music from streaming:

https://www.facebook.com/NeilYoung/posts/10155765667375317:0

don't see how the quality is different when buying a song through iTunes and downloading the song through Apple Music but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This feels like bullshit.

Let the fans listen to the music in whichever format they feel is best.

This especially feels weird coming from Young who I assume had a lot of success selling cassettes and broadcasting over FM radio for years...

Is there a way to view the music you've clicked the like (heart) button for? I assumed it worked like Spotify where it automatically adds them to a liked music playlist but apparently it doesn't. ...That will mean a lot of songs I'll never remember the titles of again.

Is there a way to view the music you've clicked the like (heart) button for? I assumed it worked like Spotify where it automatically adds them to a liked music playlist but apparently it doesn't. ...That will mean a lot of songs I'll never remember the titles of again.

You can try to make a Smart Playlist on iTunes, and pick "Loved" from the dropdown menu when creating it.

S0038_SmartPlaylistMac.png

However, this is a highly unreliable way to bookmark music on Apple Music, and the Smart Playlist will likely miss out on loads you hearted.

The <3 is mostly only there to try and make the "For You" section offer you better songs down the line. By hearting you are basically telling Apple that you like something about that song, and please present me with more of them.

You can try to make a Smart Playlist on iTunes, and pick "Loved" from the dropdown menu when creating it.

S0038_SmartPlaylistMac.png

However, this is a highly unreliable way to bookmark music on Apple Music, and the Smart Playlist will likely miss out on loads you hearted.

The <3 is mostly only there to try and make the "For You" section offer you better songs down the line. By hearting you are basically telling Apple that you like something about that song, and please present me with more of them.

Ahh, thanks. I'll try the smart playlist. I'll use star rankings from now on.

Ashhong

Ahh, thanks. I'll try the smart playlist. I'll use star rankings from now on.

The issue with Smart Playlists is that it doesn't work if you "Like" a song via iOS. I believe it only works on iTunes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the easiest way is when you want to Like a song, add it to a playlist called __A or something that is easy and quick to select. Not as easy as pressing +, but it works.

tmdorsey

Yeah, a "Loved" smart playlist will only work for songs you saved to "My Music". What I've been doing is adding any songs I like from Apple Music to a specific playlist that I can review later.

DOWN

Banned
Frankly I don't believe Neil Young has a concrete reason to pull away from standard formats and he's been on numerous lower quality listening formats and channels across his career.

EmiPrime

I saw that Pixelmator is on sale for about 70p on iOS so I load up iTunes, put on Beats 1 so I have some music on in the background but when I switch to the Apps section Beats 1 stops playing. Once I am done buying the app it takes several attempts to reconnect to Beats 1.

Please, please, please Apple kill off iTunes and make a new app dedicated to just music for OS X. It's indefensibly bad.

Number45

Locally downloaded music disappeared (aside from about four songs) this morning for some reason. It's all still in My Music, but I was out of signal range and had no music that I could play at that point. >_<

Downloaded again (I'm building up a new library for Apple Music, so not too much of a headache), let's hope it stays put this time.

Quasar

This feels like bullshit.

Let the fans listen to the music in whichever format they feel is best.

This especially feels weird coming from Young who I assume had a lot of success selling cassettes and broadcasting over FM radio for years...

Well at that point there was little choice.

That said, if he's that concerned about quality he out to not be selling his music in any lossy format, be it streamed or downloaded.

Certainly I wish Apple music was better (as my whole library is in ALAC) and that Apple and other stores would sell music in lossless formats. Somewhat amusingly using cloudplayer I can stream my whole lossless library from my onedrive.

nikos

I'm confused as to how we're supposed to sync our music now. I have about 7,000 offline songs in my library that I sync from my Mac to my iOS devices via USB.

Now that iTunes Cloud Library is enabled, I can't do this. I was reading about putting every song into a playlist and syncing it that way, but that doesn't seem right.

Last night, I enabled iCloud Music Library on both my Mac and iPhone. I then went to each artist on my iPhone and tapped "Make Available Offline.' As you can imagine, it was quite annoying given the size of my library.

Surely this can't be the new way to sync music. Do I have to add music to iTunes, then make it available offline via my iPhone every time? I guess after this initial load, it won't be so bad but I am getting "unable to download" errors that I am retrying and hoping will work.

Also, where is this iTunes Cloud Library being saved? Am I saving iTunes versions offline, or my original 320kbps MP3s? I have a ton of music that isn't available on iTunes, so what's going to happen with those? Will play counts continue to update when I sync?

I'm thinking about disabling iCloud Music Library altogether, but I'm enjoying being able to save some music from Apple Music offline.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm sort of going crazy here. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

jcutner

I'm confused as to how we're supposed to sync our music now. I have about 7,000 offline songs in my library that I sync from my Mac to my iOS devices via USB.

Now that iTunes Cloud Library is enabled, I can't do this. I was reading about putting every song into a playlist and syncing it that way, but that doesn't seem right.

Last night, I enabled iCloud Music Library on both my Mac and iPhone. I then went to each artist on my iPhone and tapped "Make Available Offline.' As you can imagine, it was quite annoying given the size of my library.

Surely this can't be the new way to sync music. Do I have to add music to iTunes, then make it available offline via my iPhone every time? I guess after this initial load, it won't be so bad but I am getting "unable to download" errors that I am retrying and hoping will work.

Also, where is this iTunes Cloud Library being saved? Am I saving iTunes versions offline, or my original 320kbps MP3s? I have a ton of music that isn't available on iTunes, so what's going to happen with those? Will play counts continue to update when I sync?

I'm thinking about disabling iCloud Music Library altogether, but I'm enjoying being able to save some music from Apple Music offline.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm sort of going crazy here. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

I just turned off iCloud Music Library, it was the only way to regain my sanity. I have a lot of 1-2 hour long EDM sets that didn't seem to be uploading to the Cloud, and thus weren't being added to my phone. I think it's absurd if I have to download the set, add it to iTunes, then iTunes has to upload what I just downloaded, then my phone has to download it again, from the Cloud - instead of just syncing the damn thing.

nikos

I just turned off iCloud Music Library, it was the only way to regain my sanity. I have a lot of 1-2 hour long EDM sets that didn't seem to be uploading to the Cloud, and thus weren't being added to my phone. I think it's absurd if I have to download the set, add it to iTunes, then iTunes has to upload what I just downloaded, then my phone has to download it again, from the Cloud - instead of just syncing the damn thing.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I'm sort of losing my mind here and I'm thinking about disabling it altogether. Waiting to see what happens when everything finishes downloading though. If it's smooth from there on, I'll give it a shot.

Wish we could keep our local library and save Apple Music for offline play on top of that.

nikos

Disabled iCloud Music Library on Mac and iPhone but couldn't get the songs to stop downloading to my iPhone no matter what.

Ended up having to restore the iPhone. Hope Apple comes up with a better solution for those of us who want to keep our own library as well as save some Apple Music for offline play.

Ambitious

iTunes has once again ruined my library.

When AM launched, I posted about having lost hundreds of song ratings. Now, of course I disabled both AM and IML, so I have no clue what caused this, but something similar happened: Today, I noticed quite a lot of songs with grey rating stars. I did a quick Google search and learned that grey ratings are basically calculated ratings: If an album is rated with grey stars, the value is the average of the song ratings. If a song is rated with grey stars, then this means that the album has been rated as a whole. Every song in that album which has not been explicitly rated will have the same value as the album, just in grey.

So I scrolled through my library and realized that dozens of albums have ratings and hundreds of songs have grey stars. I never rate albums. I spent the last few months rating every single song in my library. Which means that the actual ratings of those few hundreds songs are gone again.

It's not just me: iTunes 12.2 Changes Some Song Ratings to Album Ratings

Top Bottom