• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just going to post this again in case someone has a similar issue, because I can't find a solution anywhere:

1. I add a playlist and I make that playlist available offline. This playlist has song A from album A.

2. Later I want to make all of album A available offline. I choose that album and select "make available offline".

3. Nothing happens. Song A remains available offline, but the rest of the album is ignored. It appears Apple Music treats a playlist as an override. It's like I've told the software "all I want from this album is song X, ignore all other instructions" unless I go in and manually make every song available, or delete the playlist and start with the album.

This seems crazy. I get it, it's trying to avoid the situation where I tell the software to delete this album but expect the playlist to remain available, but this solution -- which appears to just flagging an album as inManualSelectionMode -- is not good enough; it's extremely unintuitive.

Does anyone know whether this is considered a bug or a feature? I'd love a toggle, but I can't find it.

Quasar

So despite me liking the idea of Apple Musics for you tab, I've come to wonder about it. For two reasons mainly.

1. About 30% of the album suggestions are already in my apple music library
2. Despite me loving lots of tracks in some genres, other stuff in those genres never get suggested.

Surely this isn't how its supposed to work.

Luke_Wal

My #1 used Spotify feature was the "Billboard Top 100" playlist, which would just automatically update itself and download the songs so I could listen to them in the car. I was trying to find the equivalent on AM, and I'm not seeing it. Anyone have any help for me?

EDIT: Is this thing on?

Phreaker

My #1 used Spotify feature was the "Billboard Top 100" playlist, which would just automatically update itself and download the songs so I could listen to them in the car. I was trying to find the equivalent on AM, and I'm not seeing it. Anyone have any help for me?

EDIT: Is this thing on?

There is an iTunes Radio station called "iTunes Weekly Top 50 Pop". It doesn't track billboard, but the iTunes charts. (#1 right now is Fight Song, #2 is Cheerleader) I am not able to find it via Search or on their list of stations. I have it in Recently Played since I had listened to it before Apple Music started. Google brings up this link though: https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/itunes-weekly-top-50-pop/idra.691049516

dream

So I'm sitting here listening to music on my iPhone when the song suddenly stops because the Music app decided to spontaneously delete my entire library.

What the fuck.

Luke_Wal

There is an iTunes Radio station called "iTunes Weekly Top 50 Pop". It doesn't track billboard, but the iTunes charts. (#1 right now is Fight Song, #2 is Cheerleader) I am not able to find it via Search or on their list of stations. I have it in Recently Played since I had listened to it before Apple Music started. Google brings up this link though: https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/itunes-weekly-top-50-pop/idra.691049516

Hmmm... No way to store it locally, though? This might actually be the deal breaker for me. You get Beats 1 even if you don't pay, right?

Phreaker

Hmmm... No way to store it locally, though? This might actually be the deal breaker for me. You get Beats 1 even if you don't pay, right?

Oh, no, that's that a streaming station, not a playlist you can download. Yes, you get Beats 1 and iTunes radio no matter what. If you have iTunes Match the streaming stations are commercial free.

So despite me liking the idea of Apple Musics for you tab, I've come to wonder about it. For two reasons mainly.

1. About 30% of the album suggestions are already in my apple music library
2. Despite me loving lots of tracks in some genres, other stuff in those genres never get suggested.

Surely this isn't how its supposed to work.

My guess is the algorithm shows stuff based on the percentage of genres in your library and hearted tracks. I've seen albums show up in the same genre after hearting a track, but just here and there. Which is probably expected because that genre isn't heavily represented in my library or hearts.

I do wish there was a way to say, "Never suggest Kanye or Skrillex to me. Ever."

Man, i really want to like it, but the UI is just such a mess right now compared to Spotify. And that's saying something considering how bad Spotify's UI is.

Dany

Banned
Managed to move my library over to apple music using applefy, and thus far im liking it.

the 'for you' and new section are dope.

Can't believe how fast Apple Music came and went in my life. So many problems that I don't even bother with it anymore. Today I was idly clicking through iTunes and decided to click the NEW tab to see how Apple Music was doing. Saw that there was a new song I was kind of interested in. I clicked "play" and instead of the song playing, it said "Apple Music encountered an error."

I just rolled my eyes, closed iTunes, and opened Spotify. Music starts playing immediately when I click it. Imagine that.

Number45

Seems like Apple Music (and some other Apple services) are down. https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...es-more-buckle-under-vma-announcement-traffic

A range of Apple's cloud-based services, including the App Store, iTunes, and even OS X Software Update were affected on Tuesday, likely from excess traffic associated with MTV's 2015 Video Music Awards nominees exclusively revealed on Beats 1.

Would love to see some numbers on how much it's being slammed.

Ashhong

Can somebody try adding this album to their Music? I was only able to add it using one specific computer, and even then it only shows up in the Library section on my phone. It doesn't add to the Smart Playlists like it should..

https://itun.es/us/UR0Z8

edit: Also just realized that if I select "Compilation" from my Music app, it removes the album from the album view and I can only see it in Compilation. That's stupid.

long menu got a bit of an update in iOS 9 b4:

CJlGDVPUAAAccFq.png
CKdnpKXWcAEnC0K.jpg

Left: old. Right: new. Clearer that the top part is clickable. Start station and Share are now buttons under the title/artist.
Remove from my Music is now Delete.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
only slightly better.

but better. still too busy.

edit - they could have made Genius an icon actually. Not sure why they didn't.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I'm trying to figure out why my massive iTunes library has been destroyed.

The majority of my non-Apple Music library is now greyed out, both unplayable and undownloadable. This is content that's stored on my hard drive, and most of the time it's content not even on Apple Music (like free rap mixtapes). But then a small amount of this content can still be downloaded to my PC, or even played straight off the HDD like normal. Why is iTunes suddenly preventing me from playing my music? Why do I have to download music that's already stored on my hard drive and was imported straight into iTunes? Why are some tracks still fine when there's no apparent distinction between them and the others.

The highlighted album is an example of what I'm talking about.
mNt9e0b.png
(side note: it also changed the album art of the "Monster" album (also not even on Apple Music) and greyed out all but two random tracks)

Starting to really, really regret subscribing this service....and I haven't even started to try to comprehend the mess that is the mobile version.

I'm guessing there's no simple way to be rid of all traces of Apple Music/iCloud and just revert back to the way things were...

Ashhong

long menu got a bite of an update in iOS 9 b4:

Left: old. Right: new. Clearer that the top part is clickable. Start station and Share are now buttons under the title/artist.

...I didn't even realize that top part was clickable lol

So if I remove/delete a song that was uploaded from my PC it will delete from my PC as well right? The physical file that I ripped myself? Shitty..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Update (not that anyone cares): I was able to restore iTunes library from a week ago and everything is intact and playable as it should be. Phew.I also disabled iCloud Music Library on iOS so that I can easily control what's actually on my phone instead of dealing with that whole confusing mess.

I'm sure this has all been covered in this thread multiple times, but if anyone else has this issue and needs help, go here. I really want this service to be good as a heavy iTunes/iOS user but for now I'm just gonna avoid all things iCloud until if / when all the shit gets sorted out.

Ashhong

Update (not that anyone cares): I was able to restore iTunes library from a week ago and everything is intact and playable as it should be. Phew.I also disabled iCloud Music Library on iOS so that I can easily control what's actually on my phone instead of dealing with that whole confusing mess.

I'm sure this has all been covered in this thread multiple times, but if anyone else has this issue and needs help, go here. I really want this service to be good as a heavy iTunes/iOS user but for now I'm just gonna avoid all things iCloud until if / when all the shit gets sorted out.

If you disable iCloud Music Library you are limited to basically streaming only right? Can we at least add music to a playlist?

Can somebody try adding this album to their Music? I was only able to add it using one specific computer, and even then it only shows up in the Library section on my phone. It doesn't add to the Smart Playlists like it should..

https://itun.es/us/UR0Z8

edit: Also just realized that if I select "Compilation" from my Music app, it removes the album from the album view and I can only see it in Compilation. That's stupid.

(on OS X iTunes) Tried adding to library and it didn't work right away. Then added it to a playlist instead and it showed up in playlist as expected. Then double checked My Music and it was there.

*shrug*

Why doesn't this app have music controls? Frustrating as hell.

What music controls are you looking for?
It can be swiped down for the Miniplayer. Swiped back up for the normal controls.

mini-player.gif

There's controls on the lock screen and controls in the control center as well.

Edit: if you tap on an album cover it starts playback immediately in the Miniplayer bar, just swipe up to get controls beyond play/pause/more

That's a lot better, with being able to add to a playlist. They must be reading gaf, considering all the requests for playlist adds. Also changing the wording to be "Remove Download" instead of "Remove from My Music" is much clearer. Apple sometimes has a problem of trying to find a marketing term for every feature instead of just being clear. I'm not sure what the difference between "Remove Download" and "Delete" is though.

I'm surprised that "Genius Playlist" is even still an option. I thought Genius would just go away with the introduction of Apple Music. If the idea here is "create a dynamic playlist based on this song", they should probably make that clear because I bet most people don't even use Genius or know what it is.

Quasar

Can't believe how fast Apple Music came and went in my life. So many problems that I don't even bother with it anymore. Today I was idly clicking through iTunes and decided to click the NEW tab to see how Apple Music was doing. Saw that there was a new song I was kind of interested in. I clicked "play" and instead of the song playing, it said "Apple Music encountered an error."

I just rolled my eyes, closed iTunes, and opened Spotify. Music starts playing immediately when I click it. Imagine that.

Heh. I resubbed to Google Play Music. So now all the drama of getting my music plus the service library's together is all gone. It just works.

I think during the rest of the free trial period I'll just dig around and clone a bunch of the Apple Music playlists I like most over in Google Play.

Quasar

That's a lot better, with being able to add to a playlist. They must be reading gaf, considering all the requests for playlist adds. Also changing the wording to be "Remove Download" instead of "Remove from My Music" is much clearer. Apple sometimes has a problem of trying to find a marketing term for every feature instead of just being clear. I'm not sure what the difference between "Remove Download" and "Delete" is though.

That annoyed me. Mostly because I wanted a 'remove from iCloud' option in iTunes due to the matching screwups and me wanting to remove the existing cloud version of tracks and to try again.

Y'all seem to act like Apple Music is a final product. I mean, I know it doesn't say "beta" and they don't call it that, but that's what it is. The three-month trial period is basically an open beta. Expecting everything to work on day 1 was reaching. I don't know if all the cloud bugs will be worked out by the end of the trial, but I bet it'll be in much better shape by then. Personally, I have the Cloud Music Library turned off, and will probably leave it off until the end of the trial.

ducksauce

Anyone else have the issue of not getting cover artwork for music added to your library from Connect. I just added the Major Lazer cover of Frank Ocean's Lost and it has no artwork. Same with Vic Mensa's No Chill.

Quasar

Y'all seem to act like Apple Music is a final product. I mean, I know it doesn't say "beta" and they don't call it that, but that's what it is. The three-month trial period is basically an open beta. Expecting everything to work on day 1 was reaching. I don't know if all the cloud bugs will be worked out by the end of the trial, but I bet it'll be in much better shape by then. Personally, I have the Cloud Music Library turned off, and will probably leave it off until the end of the trial.

I'd say that but its based on Music Match, and that had the same problems for me back when it launched. So how long has Music Match been on the market and still not fixed?

Ninja Dom

Still no luck over here. It won't stream songs that are in My Library or not. Restarted iTunes, signed out and then back in. Not streaming. Radio works fine though.

Gonna restart my comp and try.

Restart never worked. It just cycles through each song on an album fast without actually playing a song. And I've been using Apple Music fine almost everyday since launch. My iPhone connected to the same wifi network streams everything just fine. Only my iMac is not playing ball today.

So my problem above has mysteriously been fixed. And I don't know why.

I just went to stream a song and it worked. I haven't been able to stream a song for about 5 days.

Mystery.

Looks better, I'd even remove the "create genius playlist" option also, not sure how many people even use that

borghe

I'd say that but its based on Music Match, and that had the same problems for me back when it launched. So how long has Music Match been on the market and still not fixed?

iTunes Match didn't have anywhere near the problems here.. important differences with iTunes Match (a subscriber since literally day one)

iTunes Match, your metadata is king. period. album art, metadata, play counts, etc.. Sadly even my goofed up (my fault) volume normalization data was carried over to match (which I really have to fix one of these days... but again, my fault..)

A big problem with Apple Music is that the matching seems to be "we'll go with your metadata, unless we feel our metadata is better in which case we'll go with that". This is where you're seeing zeroed play counts, bad album art, changed track orders or albums, etc.

So no, I would say Apple Music is definitely NOT using the same matching setup as iTunes Match.. Match my biggest iTunes Match problems (library of ~9000 at the time) came down to:

clean songs matched instead of explicit (probably less than 50 songs.. but not a super explicit library)

songs showing up as errorred .. needing multiple times to finally either match or upload. Maybe a couple (few?) hundred.

small match discrepancies.. mostly where it would Match like 6 songs on the album, but then upload 3 songs from the album. Never that I've found bad matches (except for the few explicit/clean issues above). Just ones where I'd think it would match but it uploads instead.

I am guessing most people WISHED these were the only problems Music had with matching.

Looks better, I'd even remove the "create genius playlist" option also, not sure how many people even use that

Genius used to be an icon/button. Not sure why they wouldn't put it back there. There's even room right there on the bar for it.

number11

I'm surprised by how dumb the matching algorithm actually is. If I want to upload one album surely the software should recognise that it should match that one album... And not several songs taken from greatest hits and compilations.

I've tried changing my tags so it matches perfectly with the iTunes version and it doesn't make a difference.

That's weird I've never had an issue with ITunes match giving me tracks from Greatest Hits or other albums. That was something that made me mad with Amazon's matching service

borghe

That's weird I've never had an issue with ITunes match giving me tracks from Greatest Hits or other albums. That was something that made me mad with Amazon's matching service

iTunes Match != Apple Music match seeming to be the problem in his case. No, iTunes Match metadata+songid = king above all else.

tmdorsey

I'm surprised by how dumb the matching algorithm actually is. If I want to upload one album surely the software should recognise that it should match that one album... And not several songs taken from greatest hits and compilations.

I've tried changing my tags so it matches perfectly with the iTunes version and it doesn't make a difference.

I did the same thing with a few albums this weekend and it worked on songs that I removed and added back to my library except for 1 song. They really need an option to force a rematching of songs and albums on demand.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm done with it as well. The UI is just atrocious for actually doing anything, both on iTunes and the app. The fact I have to manually turn off all other apple services in order for Music to use my mobile data is stupid, plus the inability to actually search an artist and then play all their songs is so damn frustrating.

I think I'll give Spotify a try, I've heard good things and apparently it just "works" unlike Apple Music.

Top Bottom