• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

LordAmused

Yeah music was a little rough for me this afternoon, while being flawless for like 2 months now. Wondering if it's a huge influx of users from 6s.

Yeah, it could be it. Good point. I know a few people who have recieved their new iPhone today in the mail here in Canada.

screenshot-2015-09-29-10-42-38.png
Apple sending emails + notifications out to people.

Apple sending emails + notifications out to people.

I got one of these this morning. I already turned off auto renewal. I want to really like Apple Music, but I just don't find myself using it that much. I have a massive music library that I own, and I honestly think I like just using iTunes Match as my personal music locker more than the Apple Music experience. I will say that the one Apple Music feature I'll probably find myself missing is the 'For You' section.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
charged as well. I do feel for the people who have had problems. For me personally it has been terrific, and the family fee is a bargain for the three of us. I honestly couldn't imagine going to Spotify and losing integration with my purchased music, system-wide access to my library (both purchased and subscription), siri integration, etc.

SuperPac

I'm staying in with a family membership. My wife uses it every day, I use it a little bit too and my daughter often wants to hear the song from that one Disney movie asap, so... yep, in! :D

numble

Apple Music was released in China! Individual subscription is 10 RMB ($1.57) and family subscription is 15 RMB ($2.36). Just got off the US membership and I'm going to subscribe to the China one.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...oks-to-Customers-in-China-Starting-Today.html

Starting on September 30, music fans in China are invited to a three-month trial membership of Apple Music, after which a 10 RMB/month subscription fee will apply. There will also be a family plan providing service for up to six family members available for just 15 RMB/month. Apple Music requires initial sign up. At the end of the trial period, the membership will automatically renew and payment method will be charged on a monthly basis until auto-renewal is turned off in account settings. Family plan requires iCloud Family Sharing. Visit http://www.apple.com/cn/icloud/family-sharing/ for more information.

Movies on iTunes will be available starting at 5 RMB for rental in HD and 18 RMB to buy new releases in HD. Paid iBooks start at 0.5 RMB.

numble

How does the Chinese music library look? Any noticeable gaps so far?

What are the differences in catalog?

It seems like the Apple Music servers are overloaded--been trying to load Apple Music on iPhone and iPad for awhile now...

However, I see on iTunes they have sales where movies go for 1 RMB on iTunes. That's 16 cents for The Truman Show.

Jurassic World is 22 RMB or $3.20.

ecurbj

Just got the email I was charged. It's fine with me considering I use the service. So nothing is changing besides the monthly charge now.

I like Apple Music and I have a feeling it will get better as it matures.

Just got the email I was charged. It's fine with me considering I use the service. So nothing is changing besides the monthly charge now.

I like Apple Music and I have a feeling it will get better as it matures.

I haven't even started my free trial yet tbh (waiting for the new Apple TV). I'm sure it'll get better, but it'll likely only get annual updates as far as feature set is concerned.

cancelled just in time. sneakily i already cancelled pre ios9 beta but going over to that resubscribed/turned auto renewal back on. anyway, now to spend a week or so repairing my music library haha.

borghe

cancelled just in time. sneakily i already cancelled pre ios9 beta but going over to that resubscribed/turned auto renewal back on. anyway, now to spend a week or so repairing my music library haha.

??? this has nothing to do with iOS.. it's under subscriptions on your apple account. it's literally impossible that upgrading your OS turned it back on.

LCfiner

I was automatically renewed and I’ll be sticking with it for a while, anyway. I like it and I think the fact that I have not had problems with my library blowing up helped. it’s just been a good experience with discovery tools and a good selection.

??? this has nothing to do with iOS.. it's under subscriptions on your apple account. it's literally impossible that upgrading your OS turned it back on.

i worded it incorrectly, i am sure i flipped the switch on 'auto-renewal' to off when i was on ios8, when apple music came out. i then went on the ios9 beta and noticed the auto renewal had been flipped back on. i'm so certain i turned it off before. so very certain!

DOWN

Banned
So is it just me who has found Apple Music having a hellish time loading songs ever since the iPhone 6S launch or so less than a week ago?

It was flawless for me until this weekend when it started acting like it did on overloaded Day 1.

LordAmused

So is it just me who has found Apple Music having a hellish time loading songs ever since the iPhone 6S launch or so less than a week ago?

It was flawless for me until this weekend when it started acting like it did on overloaded Day 1.

Yeah. It was tough the last 3-4 days to even get a song loading. But tonight it is flawless.

Yeah, I was having quite a few issues. Also had issues with downloading apps and updating.

borghe

same here.. might have even commented as much earlier in the thread. guessing an influx from:

new iphone owners (6s/6s Plus launch)
new iOS 9 users (6s owners?) who were previously not even on 8.4
new users from all of the articles on Apple Music due to the trial ending for many

The worst was that AT&T seemingly made it worse.. I swear.. every iPhone launch, AT&T is f'ing abysmal... everything slows to a crawl despite good signal strength. So while on WiFi, Apple Music was slow.. while on LTE, since Monday it's been unusable. This morning it was FINALLY usable on LTE. God I hate AT&T's network here.

Troy

Banned
My trial ended. I think in the 3 months I had with it, I felt compelled to use it maybe 10 or fewer times. It was that awful in comparison to Spotify. I hope for their sake they take all the complaints to heart, because you know it's bad when people praise Spotify's UI and app in comparison.

Chuckpebble

Have a friend who lives about 1700 miles from me asking for help with this issue.

All he wants to do is drag and drop all of his music from his computer to his phone but it doesn't seem to be working. When he goes out on the road the songs are never there. I tried talking him through this while he was away from his computer, so I only had his phone to work with.
This is as much as I could ascertain:
-He never signed up for Apple Music free trial - I think that's evident from the screen shot.
-He has no idea what iTunes Match was so I can assume he didn't have that enabled ever.
-I don't know if he had iCloud Music Library on at some point. Still confused by that.
-He's noticed that a bunch of his music is not even on his phone even though he went through the process of putting it there.
-When he looks at an iTunes purchased song, he hits the ... and selects "make available offline" and that's when he gets the warning dialog above.

Anyone come across this? I suggested hiding Apple Music on his phone as well as in iTunes. I don't know where else to go with this and I'm having a hell of a time researching this due to Apple's ridiculously generic app naming conventions.

Got charged for it yesterday.

It could be better and I truly believe it will be excellent in the long term.

I like the For You tab the most for the timely playlists and album recommendations. Sometimes it recommends an album I already have and I've seen some complaints about it, but I don't mind. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of a great album you may not have listened to lately.

Connect is not bad, I like scrolling through at the beginning and end of the day to see what bands/groups post up. Usually just some tour photos, but they have announced a few things like the new Libertines album, new singles released, remixes, so I think that's pretty cool. Some bands use it to the fullest and others have posted when it first was made public and never posted again.

Love Beats 1 to listen in the morning.

*really needs a force upload option... I'm a BNL (triple platinum, are you?) and I have a limited edition version of Stunt with bonus tracks and the bonus tracks are basically the live versions when they should be studio alternate takes. Strange as the song Brian Wilson (2000) gives me the live version but the running time is different.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'll be interested to hear about the subscriber numbers in a couple months when's the trials die down.

Still seems too expensive for streaming music in my opinion. Would like to see them come down a bit in price or add more useful features like their competition.

I'm keeping it, but they have a LOT of work to do. Like a ton. But I use that Siri integration too often to go back to Spotify

Also, the playlists they recommend me are surprisingly great

DOWN

Banned
Long term, they will likely snatch all of the Spotify features they are missing.

Regardless, I don't want to live in a world without Siri integration. I don't want to open the app and type a search. I want to just tell Siri and breathe.

I don't use it much but when I'm in a situation where I'm driving it's nice to just say Hey Siri play me Here and Nowhere Else and the Cloud Nothing's album plays. Better than tap music, tap my music, scroll to Cloud Nothings, select song to start

Quasar

Well I guess Apple just answered my question about how they intend to support the android version of Apple Music. By apparently refusing to support Chromecast.

And it comes the same day Amazon moves to harm AppleTV/Chromecast/AndroidTV by blocking their sales.

Aren't silo wars grand. Makes me more and more just want to go all physical and rip everything.

DOWN

Banned
Well I guess Apple just answered my question about how they intend to support the android version of Apple Music. By apparently refusing to support Chromecast.

And it comes the same day Amazon moves to harm AppleTV/Chromecast/AndroidTV by blocking their sales.

Aren't silo wars grand. Makes me more and more just want to go all physical and rip everything.

Upgrade to iPhone and start living

GWX

Note to self: never turn off auto-renewal, forget to renew in time, remember about it one day after the billing day, subscribe to it back again and realize every song I had synchronized for offline listening on both iPad and iPhone is gone.

Dammit :(

I am paying for Apple Music now, but I cannot convince my wife to try it. She keeps searching for random songs to buy, etc, but is just stubborn and refuses to use the Apple Music service that we are paying for. I understand wanting to own songs, I really do. But going to buy random stuff just to sample it and see if she likes it instead of using the subscription service for some reason just baffles me.

Number45

I'll be interested to hear about the subscriber numbers in a couple months when's the trials die down.

Still seems too expensive for streaming music in my opinion. Would like to see them come down a bit in price or add more useful features like their competition.
Unless I'm mistaken it's in line with other paid services - and if you can make the use of the family sharing it's far better value for money.

It's not perfect, but it does what I want from it for the most part and it should improve over time. Either way there's no long term contract so it's not exactly a risky choice.

I really want to like Apple Music but the desktop app (aka iTunes) is SO bad. Why can't they just make a button called "Apple Music" instead of making me go through hoops like "For me" or "New"?

Decided to stay with Apple Music. Only issue I have is the fact it takes some of the songs I uploaded and gives me the Apple version that sometimes isn't even the same fucking song! Ugh Apple if I wanted your fucking version I would have fucking said do you twats, giving me your version defeats the ENTIRE purpose of me uploading music

Tomodachi

Decided to stick with Apple Music, but today I'm really pissed at it. I never had many issues with the UI and the few glitches have been understandable and minor for me, but today my iPhone 6 decided I didn't want an iCloud Library anymore so it deactivated the option for it in Settings.

I had to enable it again and of course all of my downloaded music got erased just like that. Since I have a very limited data plan (1GB a month) I can't stream music and I have to download all of it for offline mode.
I really wish it wasn't so easy to lose all the music you have on the device since it's pretty tricky to re-download all the stuff you saved.

Also, the ability to transfer your offline music from iTunes to the iPhone should be a no-brainer at this point.

Future

Note to self: never turn off auto-renewal, forget to renew in time, remember about it one day after the billing day, subscribe to it back again and realize every song I had synchronized for offline listening on both iPad and iPhone is gone.

Dammit :(

Add to the apple music bullshit pile. The worst thing about the service is the disrespect it gives to your collection. Back in the day cover flow was supposed to mimic those stacks of record albums people would proudly display, since people have connections with their music and collections

Now Apple music renames, re tags, replaces songs when used properly. And with the slightest mistake, deletes collections and playlists and metadata. Really am awaiting the overhaul on this one.

I am not understanding the "worst piece of design ever" part.

You need a "source of one truth" for any sort of music system/service. Spotify, Google Music, Apple Music, etc. all operate under the same principle.

with iCloud Music Library turned off, iTunes ends up being that one source of truth. Thus any playlist changes and such you make get synced between the two.

with iCloud Music Library turned on, iCloud is the one source of truth.. so to sync yes, it has to be a part of iCloud.

Putting a system in place where multiple controls all hold independent control over your library (which by nature is singular) would be a mess. A mess you in particular may be willing to work within/around.. but for the average user, almost certainly problematic and confusing.

I don't get the confusion. iCloud Library turned on? Music has to exist in iCloud. Turned off? Music has to exist in iTunes. Seems plainly simple.

It would be fine if a) Match worked perfectly or b) you could choose to simply upload everything. But it doesn't and you can't. So if I sync everything from the cloud, I have what essentially amounts to mutt rips on my phone. I've got a Led Zep album, say, ripped from my CD. Different volume to the remasters on Apple Music. Match has matched half the songs, so the levels are different when I try and listen to the album. That's a disaster, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want mutt rips. I want my music, with the ability to also listen to things on the subscription service I have paid for. It's not complicated.

Tomodachi

Sounds like a waste of a phone to me.
I couldn't imagine having such a powerful phone and constantly limiting what I do with it...
I don't really limit anything except streaming music (and I don't need that, that's what offline mode is for). I usually end up with like 250MB left at the end of the month because I don't need internet access outside of wifi areas that much (navigation, the random internet page I need to check and instant messaging don't use that much data). If and when that will change I'll switch data plan I guess.

Top Bottom