• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Sorry, Apple. I love you, but I gotta cancel. The interface is just so bad, and while I like the playlists you recommend you could be doing so much more. Siri integration is pretty great, but I always try to favor the cross-platform solution and Spotify has that going for it

Maybe with a major overhaul with iOS 10 I can come back, since I like the idea of mixing my purchased library with a streaming one. But in the meantime, sort your UI out

Meowster

This has probably been posted before but what is considered streaming here? I'm assuming if I have a song in My Music/offline, then it would no longer be counted towards streaming anymore?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sorry, Apple. I love you, but I gotta cancel. The interface is just so bad, and while I like the playlists you recommend you could be doing so much more. Siri integration is pretty great, but I always try to favor the cross-platform solution and Spotify has that going for it

Maybe with a major overhaul with iOS 10 I can come back, since I like the idea of mixing my purchased library with a streaming one. But in the meantime, sort your UI out
I park in an underground carpark at work. When I go to leave at the end of the day it's really annoying when I go to use AM and there's no network signal, so nothing will load at all, even my local music.

It just hangs til I get a signal and by the time I'm outta the carpark I'm driving and have nowhere to pull over to get it going. Little niggling things like that are pushing me back to Spotify. I'll see how 9.2 goes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the offline syncing issues. No one ever hits "make available offline" on an artist and album and expects swathes of songs to not download.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but it's been months now. This should be a simple fix.

Well my experiment to go back to Spotify didn't work out. I got too reliant on saying "Hey Siri..." While I'm driving so not having that ability is killing me

That works lke 10% of the time for me.

For me it works like 85% of the time, which I can live with. My issue is that if you tell her to play a specific song AM won't play anything after it

Newest Apple Music annoyance: if you're playing a song and press the three dots and start a station based on the song, the song will keep playing and then transition to the station. If you're playing a song and tell Siri "Hey Siri, start a station based on this song" she'll start the station but end the song

Like, c'mon

Ashhong

I park in an underground carpark at work. When I go to leave at the end of the day it's really annoying when I go to use AM and there's no network signal, so nothing will load at all, even my local music.

It just hangs til I get a signal and by the time I'm outta the carpark I'm driving and have nowhere to pull over to get it going. Little niggling things like that are pushing me back to Spotify. I'll see how 9.2 goes.

Huh? Offline and local music does not require a network signal

I can't believe they still haven't fixed the offline syncing issues. No one ever hits "make available offline" on an artist and album and expects swathes of songs to not download.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but it's been months now. This should be a simple fix.

What is the issue? It just doesn't download everything? I think it's fixed in 9.2. They changed up the icons and interface for downloading songs and I haven't had any issues can whereas I did before

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
For me it works like 85% of the time, which I can live with. My issue is that if you tell her to play a specific song AM won't play anything after it

Newest Apple Music annoyance: if you're playing a song and press the three dots and start a station based on the song, the song will keep playing and then transition to the station. If you're playing a song and tell Siri "Hey Siri, start a station based on this song" she'll start the station but end the song

Like, c'mon

She will often understand a request I make, but then simply never start the song. It is super annoying.

Number45

I really wish that, if I'm currently playing an album, adding another album to up next would play it after the next album as opposed to after the next song. I want to queue up another album for when I get in the car for my drive home without having to touch the phone in the car. :(

I really wish that, if I'm currently playing an album, adding another album to up next would play it after the next album as opposed to after the next song. I want to queue up another album for when I get in the car for my drive home without having to touch the phone in the car. :(

If you start an album, then go to your next album and select "Add to Up Next" instead of "Play Next" it'll put it at the end of the queue

Play Next jumps that selection to the next song, then goes back to what the queue was, Add to Up Next adds it to the end

For example, let's say there's two albums, one of the songs 1, 2, and 3 and the other with the songs A, B, and C

We start the first album, so the queue looks like 1-2-3

As the first song is playing, if we go to the next album and select Play Next the queue looks like 1-A-B-C-2-3

As the first song is playing, if we go to the next album and select Add to Up Next the queue looks like 1-2-3-A-B-C

Yes I know this is confusing as shit (this is what the process looks like for any selection, song or album. I just did albums to illustrate what it would look like in your case)

Ashhong

Add the first album to your "up next" instead of just playing one song from it. Then just add additional albums to your up next

^
How is that confusing? Add to up next vs play next. Pretty self explanatory imo

Tomodachi

There's definitely a bug on the iPhone. I have the same problem: if I'm listening to track X of Y from album A I can't add album B after track Y of album A. Doesn't matter if I select Add to Up Next or Play Next, album B always goes straight right after track X.

If you start an album, then go to your next album and select "Add to Up Next" instead of "Play Next" it'll put it at the end of the queue

Play Next jumps that selection to the next song, then goes back to what the queue was, Add to Up Next adds it to the end

For example, let's say there's two albums, one of the songs 1, 2, and 3 and the other with the songs A, B, and C

We start the first album, so the queue looks like 1-2-3

As the first song is playing, if we go to the next album and select Play Next the queue looks like 1-A-B-C-2-3

As the first song is playing, if we go to the next album and select Add to Up Next the queue looks like 1-2-3-A-B-C

Yes I know this is confusing as shit (this is what the process looks like for any selection, song or album. I just did albums to illustrate what it would look like in your case)

This is the way it should work, and it actually does on iTunes (and it's not really confusing to me tbh :p).
However, unfortunately on the iPhone your example would still give a 1-A-B-C-2-3 queue, even selecting Add to Up Next.

Add the first album to your "up next" instead of just playing one song from it. Then just add additional albums to your up next
That's a good temporary solution (adding album A to the queue, then album B, then playing the first song of the queue) but the bug is there. If I decide to add another album to the queue while I'm already playing the first one I have to erase the whole queue, it's an unnecessary hassle.

^
How is that confusing? Add to up next vs play next. Pretty self explanatory imo

I know people that got confused by the verbiage. It would be easier if they referred to it as a queue instead of Next. "Play Next" as one option and "Add to Queue" as the other. Add to Up Next still has some ambiguity

There's definitely a bug on the iPhone. I have the same problem: if I'm listening to track X of Y from album A I can't add album B after track Y of album A. Doesn't matter if I select Add to Up Next or Play Next, album B always goes straight right after track X.

This is the way it should work, and it actually does on iTunes (and it's not really confusing to me tbh :p).
However, unfortunately on the iPhone your example would still give a 1-A-B-C-2-3 queue, even selecting Add to Up Next.

That's a good temporary solution (adding album A to the queue, then album B, then playing the first song of the queue) but the bug is there. If I decide to add another album to the queue while I'm already playing the first one I have to erase the whole queue, it's an unnecessary hassle.

Huh, I did test it out on iTunes, not on my iPhone. I'll see what happens

Edit: yep, definitely a bug

Number45

Yeah. I play an album from the front page and add another album to up next while in the middle of playing the first album and it inserts it into the middle of the current album/up next. Frustrating!

Still, sounds like there's some good improvements coming for Apple Music in 9.2 so hopefully that's one of the fixes.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Huh? Offline and local music does not require a network signal
It doesn't, but the app spends so long spinning a little wheel when it can't find signal that it usually still isn't done by the time I leave.

It should open instantly, regardless of connectivity, then search for a signal if you try to stream something. As it is I have a few minute wait launching the app before it times out and lets me access my offline stuff. It's infuriating.

My issue is that if you tell her to play a specific song AM won't play anything after it

What would you expect to be played after it? I think different people would have different expectations. If I'm listening to say, a playlist, and then tell Siri to play some other song on AM, I'd expect no further music to play after that (or for it to repeat).

Apple Music for Android beta now available in the Google Play Store

Notes about the beta period:
• Music videos are coming soon.
• Sign-ups and upgrades to Family memberships require Mac or iOS.
• Sign-up process to be optimized for Android.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/10/apple-music-android-google-play-store/

According to Cue, Apple Music is "a full native app" that will "feel very much like an Android app."
"We wanted customers on Android to naturally be able to use it -- what they've learned and how they interact is common. Things as simple as [that] the share icon looks like an Android share icon; the menu structure being where it is; these are things that most Android customers are familiar with. We wanted to make sure that they felt very familiar with Apple Music when they sat down to use it."

1/5 reviews incoming.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

don't say "play wildest dreams".

do say "play wildest dreams next."

when you "just play" something, you clobber EVERYTHING in Up Next. If you want to use Up Next, you have to "use" Up Next.

I'd expect no further music to play after that (or for it to repeat).

Both of which are what actually happen (depending on your current repeat setting)

Quasar

Playing around with the Android beta.

Is alright design wise. Wish it was more material though. And though I doubt it will happen, wish it had googlecast support.

Noticing some streaming bugs around beats1. Every so often it just stops.

Also, I cannot access my purchased music. Hopefully thats something that gets fixed.

Anyway I'm glad to see this. Hopefully Apple does this with other media they sell.

CTfBVF0UAAA_d67.png

People seem torn :p

Benjamin Mayo ‏@bzamayo 2h2 hours ago
If you buy the Apple Music subscription in the Android app, Google takes a 30% cut. Karma.

lol

This happens only if they're using Play Store in-app purchases. Google allows some apps to bypass that (like streaming services). It's why Spotify on Android is its normal 9.99 rate instead of the iOS app's 12.99.

Although no commitments have been made by Adele’s team, sources indicate Apple Music is likely to have 25 within a few weeks of its release, if not on launch day. There are no ad-supported tiers on the service, which clears the biggest hurdle to getting 25 on the service. Multiple sources also indicate that Apple Music tried to sign Adele for an exclusive release of 25 this past summer, but was rebuffed by the singer and her team.

Also, adele might not have her album on spotify or restrict it to premium tier only.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9706342/adele-25-new-album-not-on-spotify-streaming

ZeroAKA

I can't believe Apple Music still doesn't have some sort of notifications system to notify you when an artist you follow releases a new album. Also, album preorders still aren't automatically added to your library after they are released.

I can't believe Apple Music still doesn't have some sort of notifications system to notify you when an artist you follow releases a new album. Also, album preorders still aren't automatically added to your library after they are released.

Yeah, really needs these. I can't see any new features coming until iOS 10 tbh.

Number45

I had this happen automatically with Book of Souls and Honeymoon. Book of Souls I actually pre-ordered, and Honeymoon automatically populated the full album after I added the preview track to my AM library.

number11

I had this happen automatically with Book of Souls and Honeymoon. Book of Souls I actually pre-ordered, and Honeymoon automatically populated the full album after I added the preview track to my AM library.

Yep.. I've had this happen to a few albums that I added to my library before the full release date.

I know before I had to delete the album and then re-add it.. But it seems like they've fixed it.

borghe

100% in agreement about Notifications. Seems completely obvious.

The problem with pre-orders is that it is a moment in time thing. If three songs are available they'll be added to your library. But when more songs are made available (like when the album is released), those songs don't seem to be added without removing then re-adding the album. It's like Apple got half of it right (pre-order) but then missed the other half. Funny part is iTunes has had auto-downloading of pre-orders for..... man... As many years as I can remember (10 years?)

Edit - fixed? I have a couple added. Will have to check when they release.

Ashhong

I have added album A with "Add to Up Next". I then add B with "Add to Up Next". I then play song from album A. Next I add album C using "Add to Up Next", and it adds to the entire queue, after B. Is that not what you want?

edit: same results if I add album A using "Play Next", and then B and C with "Add to Up Next". All good here. I'm on 9.2 Public Beta..2 I think. Maybe it's fixed now?

It doesn't, but the app spends so long spinning a little wheel when it can't find signal that it usually still isn't done by the time I leave.

It should open instantly, regardless of connectivity, then search for a signal if you try to stream something. As it is I have a few minute wait launching the app before it times out and lets me access my offline stuff. It's infuriating.

There must be a misunderstanding here between us. I can put my songs in Airplane mode and play the offline songs just fine. It doesn't spin at all if I play a downloaded song, as it should be.

edit: Apple Music on Android is great. No issues here. I actually prefer it to iOS because it uses the hamburger menu. Gives me more real estate. The only feature it's missing is download to SD. That would make this absolutely killer. I finally have a use for my work Android phone. Just download all my music to my SD card, please Apple.

neshcom

Banned
100% in agreement about Notifications. Seems completely obvious.

The problem with pre-orders is that it is a moment in time thing. If three songs are available they'll be added to your library. But when more songs are made available (like when the album is released), those songs don't seem to be added without removing then re-adding the album. It's like Apple got half of it right (pre-order) but then missed the other half. Funny part is iTunes has had auto-downloading of pre-orders for..... man... As many years as I can remember (10 years?)

Edit - fixed? I have a couple added. Will have to check when they release.

I had it work normally (as far as I could tell) with the new Neon Indian album pre-order. It added the songs to my library and put them in with the same Date Added as the pre-release tracks.

So apple emailed me a notification that on 11/17 my iTunes Match subscription will expire. I do have an active subscription with Apple Music. Do I need Match?

Is Match now part of Apple Music? What are the pros/cons have Match now that we have Apple Music?

Thanks

So apple emailed me a notification that on 11/17 my iTunes Match subscription will expire. I do have an active subscription with Apple Music. Do I need Match?

Is Match now part of Apple Music? What are the pros/cons have Match now that we have Apple Music?

Thanks

With iTunes Match you get a DRM-free backup of your songs. So if you ever delete the original file that was matched/uploaded, you can redownload it no issues. Apple Music has the same mechanisms for uploading/matching, but if you ever delete the original file and redownload it it'll be an Apple Music version, not DRM-free. AKA if you ever let your sub lapse it won't be playable

Tomodachi

I have added album A with "Add to Up Next". I then add B with "Add to Up Next". I then play song from album A. Next I add album C using "Add to Up Next", and it adds to the entire queue, after B. Is that not what you want?

edit: same results if I add album A using "Play Next", and then B and C with "Add to Up Next". All good here. I'm on 9.2 Public Beta..2 I think. Maybe it's fixed now?

Yeah, they must have fixed it in the beta (9.1 here) because "Add to Up Next" always add the tracks right after the song I'm listening to, not at the end of the queue. Good to know they noticed.

borghe

Thanks

I'll be honest.. Apple is extorting me a little bit.. basically I am scared to let my subscription lapse out of fear to what will happen to my library :\

I am psyched as hell I was able to avoid all of the Apple Music pitfalls many experienced because my 5000 song library was already brought in (with a little headache) through Match. As a result, my first impression of Apple Music was overwhelmingly positive. The thought of quitting match and instantly being thrust into those problems myself is terrifying..

I mean the short version is yes you SHOULD be able to let it lapse... and anything that was uploaded will stay uploaded. The question is what happens to Matched (which currently shows up differently than Apple Music Matched), and what happens to Matched that isn't on Apple Music (I mean I'm guessing you lose it from your library until you upload it..)

Fuck it... $25/year is well worth not having to fuck with any of that.. though like I said... extorted.. :p

edit - if you do let it lapse, make sure you have local copies of ALL of your music. Fortunately I still have all of my 5000+ songs on a disconnected hard drive.. so if I let it lapse I won't actually lose anything.. just would have to go through the pain of reconciling my Apple Music Library with what I undoubtedly will have lost from the cloud.

Benjamin Mayo ‏@bzamayo 2h2 hours ago
If you buy the Apple Music subscription in the Android app, Google takes a 30% cut. Karma.

lol

Lol, well that's cool of Apple to offer their service through the easiest payment method. Since it's Google's implementation, they get a cut. And they don't jack up the price either. But mainly because Apple has a ton of money already and don't need to scrape by.

Speaking of Match, I was going to sign up for it again but only when they announce the increased 100,000 track limit.

Quasar

I'll be honest.. Apple is extorting me a little bit.. basically I am scared to let my subscription lapse out of fear to what will happen to my library :\

I am psyched as hell I was able to avoid all of the Apple Music pitfalls many experienced because my 5000 song library was already brought in (with a little headache) through Match. As a result, my first impression of Apple Music was overwhelmingly positive. The thought of quitting match and instantly being thrust into those problems myself is terrifying..

I kind of wonder if I escaped the worst of it simple because my local library is all lossless.

In the end though my cheapness won out. I just use the Google locker, and if I need to trial some music I just use Spotify.

Quasar

And so after I post that I rejoin Apple Music, mostly just to play around wih the tvOS and Android clients.

Curiously at least one album I added from Apple Music last time has been pulled from Apple Music (Best Of Bond James Bond 50th Anniversary Collection). Really not used to music being pulled from music services.

Also I've run into some weirdness with the Android beta where music I added locally that got uploaded is not appearing on the Android client.

With tvOS they really make it hard to access some things (like music videos) that are much easier on the iOS version.

Interestingly syncing my iTunes to the Cloud was much faster this time. Its like when I cancelled my Apple Music sub before they didn't actually delete any of my stuff.

Is anyone else getting grayed-out tracks that are actually playable?

Yes, for some reason tracks have been getting unchecked in my library, meaning they won't play unless I specifically request them. I assumed the graying out meant they were unavailable until I looked a little closer. It seems random as far as I can tell: a whole album will be fine except for one unchecked track, and I know I didn't uncheck it myself. Right-clicking and choosing "Check Selection" will clear it up, but it's aggravating.

Tomodachi

Yes, for some reason tracks have been getting unchecked in my library, meaning they won't play unless I specifically request them. I assumed the graying out meant they were unavailable until I looked a little closer. It seems random as far as I can tell: a whole album will be fine except for one unchecked track, and I know I didn't uncheck it myself. Right-clicking and choosing "Check Selection" will clear it up, but it's aggravating.
Damn you're right, they're just inactive. I can't understand why in the first place they decided inactive tracks should be grayed out just like unavailable tracks but at least I can stop removing and readding albums to my collection to fix these grayed out tracks.
Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom