• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Taylor Swift is releasing a live concert special from her star-studded "1989 World Tour" exclusively on Apple Music.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8966...-release-concert-tour-exclusively-apple-music

Apple changed its decision to pay artists, but Swift said she was a bit terrified after posting the letter.

"And then I was struck with this overwhelming sense of fear. Like, are they going to turn my phone off? Are they going to turn the video camera on? Are they watching me right now? Am I going to wake up tomorrow and all of my music will be off of iTunes?" she said. "Like absolute terror hit."

wat

neshcom

Banned
What other music services even have videos? Youtube Red I guess. Tidal maybe?

Tidal's definitely been spending money to be in streaming video. Yahoo also did some live concert streaming stuff. YouTube doesn't really have a great way to direct-monetize live streamed events (or hasn't shown any).

And of course the main alternative is sell it digital direct/DVD on all the platforms.

Now we need PS4 support.

This is a big one for me. I mean itunes is already on Windows. Apple Music is on Android. One of the big reasons I flip-flop between this and Spotify is that it's so convenient to just use Spotify on my PS4 and go through my living room surround sound. I don't do it often but when I do it's epic.

Ashhong

Is that playlist set to Keep Offline? Maybe you have a smart playlist (like Recently Added) set to offline?

Nope it's a brand new playlist and not linked to a playlist that I set offline..

I also don't see the option to "Remove Download" like I do with my other Apple Music files. Is this because the album is Adele's 25 and it's not available on Apple Music?

I just subscribed again and now whenever I stream music from iTunes it just stops, it's like it loses connection, the playback catches the streaming buffer and iTunes gets hung, so it just stops and skips to the next song, and other times iTunes gets unresponsive.

it's not my internet connection, it's fine, fiber optic @20mbps, so it has to be an issue in their end..¿?

"estimates" of 8M paid subscribers by end of year:

Respected music business analyst Mark Mulligan is estimating that Apple Music will have nearly 8m subs at the end of 2015, a number which will more than double in 2016.

The figure comes within Midia Research’s new ‘Predictions for 2016’ report.

Within the music section of the report, Mulligan notes that Apple Music ‘went from zero to the No.2 streaming service in a matter of months in mid-2015’.

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/apple-music-has-8m-subscribers-will-hit-20m-next-year-analyst/

Apple is said to be developing a new Hi-Res Audio format featuring an expanded 96kHz, 24bit sampling rate for its Apple Music subscribers, leveraging the higher fidelity audio output capabilities of Lightning ports.

Apple Music is planning to launch new its Hi-Res music streaming—with higher audio quality than can be delivered through standard earphone jacks—over the next year, according to a report by Japanese site Macotakara.

The site referenced "several insiders familiar with Apple" who were exhibiting products at the Portable Audio Festival.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...dly-preparing-hi-res-audio-streaming-for-2016

GWX

I really hate the offline music bug, where it shows every song you have instead of the cached songs. The worst thing is that it happens regularly since 8.4.1, and it was never fixed :(

Made an Apple Music playlist of my favorite songs this year.

https://itunes.apple.com/se/playlist/bast-av-2015/idpl.dee1e21ac7a64f26a06df7f361ee33da

Genres: Electronic, Alternative, Pop

Cool! Added the playlist. Being the end of the year, maybe other folks can post their playlists too

Even the pic/background is cool

I really hate the offline music bug, where it shows every song you have instead of the cached songs. The worst thing is that it happens regularly since 8.4.1, and it was never fixed :(

It's weird because most of the time it works fine and sometimes it doesn't. Kind of unpredictable. When it doesn't work I just force quit and open the app again and usually that works

I think I'm going to Spotify. I hate the yucky looking green but it just seems like they're "with it" more. Its astonishing how much faster the Spotify app is compared to Apple Music...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think I'm going to Spotify. I hate the yucky looking green but it just seems like they're "with it" more. Its astonishing how much faster the Spotify app is compared to Apple Music...
On what device? My iPad Air is average but my 6s is lightning.

Yeah, I moved back. Discover weekly, ease of finding playlists, social integration with Facebook friends, and just straight up letting me add local files without uploading my entire library is just so much better. If it had the selection that Apple Music had, I would never even consider Apple Music.

I just spend like half an hour every Monday importing Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist into Apple Music

But how would you shape your discover weekly playlist if you aren't listening to music and creating/managing playlists in Spotify?

Edit: Funny that I just clicked on the AM playlist link posted above using my work computer and realized I couldn't look through the tracks or listen at all because I don't have iTunes installed. Another reason Spotify works better for me - having a web player is great for work.

But how would you shape your discover weekly playlist if you aren't listening to music and creating/managing playlists in Spotify?

Edit: Funny that I just clicked on the AM playlist link posted above using my work computer and realized I couldn't look through the tracks or listen at all because I don't have iTunes installed. Another reason Spotify works better for me - having a web player is great for work.

I used Spotify for a long time before AM came out so it knows my taste

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Anyone know if I buy a Gift Card for itunes, it'll automatically deduct for my subscription? Reason I ask is there's a $80 for $100 deal on ebay for itunes gift cards.

ecurbj

Anyone know if I buy a Gift Card for itunes, it'll automatically deduct for my subscription? Reason I ask is there's a $80 for $100 deal on ebay for itunes gift cards.
Yes, it will. But you still must have a valid credit card on file. But it will deduct from your Gift Card credit though.

That's probably one of the biggest weaknesses of the service.
And needs a better way to share playlists among friends.

I'm late to this feature but apparently iTunes keeps track of the songs you listen to on the radio (Beats 1 or the other stations) if you go to iTunes and tap the list feature the Radio tab lists them out. Also a tab for Wishlists and what you have Siri listening to.

I've tried googling this but I'm giving up and hoping someone here can help out.

I'm using Apple Music through a family sharing plan.

Back when it first came out, I got it to wipe all the music off my iPhone. I still have all my songs in iTunes on my computer. I started solely streaming songs via Apple Music.

I soon discovered that many songs/albums aren't available on Apple Music. An Arcade Fire album here, an Audioslave album there, etc.

So my question: is there any way to get the songs I own that AREN'T on Apple Music onto my iPhone? I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Thanks!

tmdorsey

I've tried googling this but I'm giving up and hoping someone here can help out.

Back when it first came out, I got it to wipe all the music off my iPhone. I still have all my songs in iTunes on my computer. I started solely streaming songs via Apple Music.

I soon discovered that many songs/albums aren't available on Apple Music. An Arcade Fire album here, an Audioslave album there, etc.

So my question: is there any way to get the songs I own that AREN'T on Apple Music onto my iPhone? I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Thanks!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in order to do this you have to turn iCloud Music Library and let iTunes upload them. Once uploaded they will be available to your iPhone.

^
Correct.

Turn on iCloud Music Library on your devices and iTunes. Once you turn it on it will upload or match your music to the cloud.

Might get messy if you have a large library so what I did was make a separate library in iTunes for Apple Music and only uploaded tracks that weren't offered on the service. (Before opening iTunes, hold Option on the Mac or Shift on the PC). I've been finding after a few months most of my music is on the service now since the Beatles were added and Black Keys.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204925

Ninja Dom

I'm having a few issues with Music these days.

A few of my downloaded albums have disappeared and I had to redownload them. Also, some of my albums have been replaced. Whereas I used to have the Explicit versions, I've now got the censored versions of a few albums.

I'm disliking how Music is taking control of my own uploaded albums and changing them about.

Thanks!

Yeah, this is why I went to Spotify, but that's a complete mess when browsing for music. It's all horrible playlists, where the Apple Music playlists were amazing. But I produce & mix a lot of music and have to throw those mixes onto my phone for reference and that was difficult if not impossible with Apple Music, so I had to ditch it. It's a bummer, as it's my favourite music service, and my iTunes library is too huge to do the iCloud Match bullshit so it's game over until they fix it. Bummer to see it's still a problem.

According to the Financial Times, Apple has passed 10 million paying subscribers for Apple Music. Apple Music launched in June 2015 with a three month free trial. Since the launch, Apple announced it has 6.5 million paying subscribers in October. In November, Apple launched Apple Music on Android which no doubt attracted a significant chunk of additional new users.

Crossing ten million is a significant symbolic milestone, as it now means Apple Music is half as large as Spotify’s paid userbase.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/10/apple-music-reportedly-tops-10-million-paying-subscribers/

Not bad in 6 months..

If I win the Powerball I'll get everyone here a year's worth of Apple Music family subs, lol.

Apple Music has been running a lot smoother lately, used to get a few hiccups with playback and the last point update seemed to really make it easier to use. @Connect still hasn't lived up to its potential yet

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in order to do this you have to turn iCloud Music Library and let iTunes upload them. Once uploaded they will be available to your iPhone.

^
Correct.

Turn on iCloud Music Library on your devices and iTunes. Once you turn it on it will upload or match your music to the cloud.

Might get messy if you have a large library so what I did was make a separate library in iTunes for Apple Music and only uploaded tracks that weren't offered on the service. (Before opening iTunes, hold Option on the Mac or Shift on the PC). I've been finding after a few months most of my music is on the service now since the Beatles were added and Black Keys.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204925
So I've turned on iCloud Music Library on my devices and it still won't work. I tried to sync, and the album and songs show up on my phone now, but they're still greyed out. When I look at them in iTunes on my computer, there's a little error icon next to each one of them, I suppose indicating that the upload failed.

I don't have iCloud Match or whatever it's called, but I've got ~1.5 GB free (of the 5GB you get in iCloud), and I've only tried to upload ten songs.

Shit's driving me insane, I just want to listen to my Arcade Fire songs! Getting close to just turning off Apple Music and storing everything locally again.

Update iTunes if you haven't already. Make sure the songs are no bigger than 200MB. If it helps, try going to iTunes and turning iCloud Music Library off and then back on. Top right should indicate that it is scanning and uploading. If it doesn't pop up in a minute try right clicking on the songs/albums and click "add to iCloud Music Library" it actually doesn't use iCloud storage space.

EthanC

Banned
Yes, it will. But you still must have a valid credit card on file. But it will deduct from your Gift Card credit though.

I just wanted to point out that this isn't true. I haven't had a CC on file with iTunes for years. I just buy iTunes credit when Ebay/Paypal has a 25 percent off sale.

Ashhong

There's no way to have collaborative playlists like there is on Spotify is there?

You can share your own playlist with someone and it gets auto updated when you make changes. I have not tried making changes on the 2nd phone though to see if it updates on the first.

You can share your own playlist with someone and it gets auto updated when you make changes. I have not tried making changes on the 2nd phone though to see if it updates on the first.

Yeah but I was hoping I could make a playlist that my friends could edit as well.

Ashhong

I'm pretty sure I can edit it from any device I'm logged in to but that doesn't really help my scenario.

No I mean, you can share your playlist with a friend. If you edit that playlist on any of your devices, it also updates on your friends phone automatically.

But I haven't tested the scenario where your friend adds a song to the playlist in hopes of it updating on your phone.

Isn't that what you want?

Top Bottom