• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Ashhong

Is there a way to clear the Music in the Cloud?

I'm trying to reorganize my personal library and its stuck on Apple's cloud

The only way I was able to do this was pretty convoluted.

Remove all of your devices, iTunes from iCloud
Create a new library and connect to iCloud
Wait for everything to download to your iTunes
Slowly, has to be slow otherwise iCloud gets confused, delete the music from your library

It's stupid.

SeanR1221

So I'm moving back to Spotify.

How do I easily remove all my Apple Music downloaded songs? Or is it easier to just let my sub run out?

Tomodachi

So I'm moving back to Spotify.

How do I easily remove all my Apple Music downloaded songs? Or is it easier to just let my sub run out?

Settings - General - Space usage and iCloud - Archive - Manage space - Music - Edit
Then remove the first row (All tracks).

[I'm translating from my iPhone (set in a different language than English) so there might be little differences in the wording of the menus]

ShowDog

I'm moving back to Spotify. Apple Music had some potential at release but as expected it's rotting on the vine until they make what are likely to be marginal improvements in iOS 10. Fuck it.

KtSlime

I'm moving back to Spotify. Apple Music had some potential at release but as expected it's rotting on the vine until they make what are likely to be marginal improvements in iOS 10. Fuck it.

Not saying it couldn't use some major improvements but how is it rotting? In my region it gets better by the week, more music, better categories, and improved UI/operation with the 9.x beta releases.

SeanR1221

Settings - General - Space usage and iCloud - Archive - Manage space - Music - Edit
Then remove the first row (All tracks).

[I'm translating from my iPhone (set in a different language than English) so there might be little differences in the wording of the menus]

Nice, thanks :)

Was thinking of using Apple Music for offline listening. Streaming music has been hell on my data. Was using Souncloud before.

I'm wondering though; if I create a playlist do the songs save on my phone? Cuz the whole offline thing is confusing me. I don't want to take up space on my phone otherwise I'll just buy the music. Also...can I select offline mode but still be on LTE so that I'm not using my data but can still get calls or use my apps?

Was thinking of using Apple Music for offline listening. Streaming music has been hell on my data. Was using Souncloud before.

I'm wondering though; if I create a playlist do the songs save on my phone? Cuz the whole offline thing is confusing me. I don't want to take up space on my phone otherwise I'll just buy the music. Also...can I select offline mode but still be on LTE so that I'm not using my data but can still get calls or use my apps?

A playlist does not automatically download the music, no. You have to specify that you want it to download. There will be a little phone icon next to the songs/albums/playlists that actually exist on your device and aren't being streamed

If you're worried about it using data you can turn off Music's access to cell data in Settings->Cellular

A playlist does not automatically download the music, no. You have to specify that you want it to download. There will be a little phone icon next to the songs/albums/playlists that actually exist on your device and aren't being streamed

If you're worried about it using data you can turn off Music's access to cell data in Settings->Cellular

So does music save on my phone though?

Shepard

So does music save on my phone though?

The song will take internal space of your phone if you choose to make them available offline, it'll 'download' the music to your phone.
Once you make them available offline, you don't need to use your data plan to listen to it.

The song will take internal space of your phone if you choose to make them available offline, it'll 'download' the music to your phone.
Once you make them available offline, you don't need to use your data plan to listen to it.

So basically I'd be paying for a service to purchase songs on discount?

I mean, it's not a bad deal for $9.99 a month for that much music content...but I wouldn't really own these songs though.

Ashhong

Offline listening will take up space on your phone, that's just how it works for anything. Otherwise you would stream and use data.

You can choose an option to show only "offline" songs so that you won't use any data to listen to them.

I mean, it's not a bad deal for $9.99 a month for that much music content...but I wouldn't really own these songs though.

I don't understand what you want here..could you clarify? You said before soundcloud is killing your data. Offline mode saves songs you want onto your phone so that you can listen to them without using data. Isn't that what you want?

Even if you download the songs, they are not purchased. If you ever unsubscribe they become unavailable. This is like Netflix: play all the content you want but you don't own any of it

ecurbj

Even if you download the songs, they are not purchased. If you ever unsubscribe they become unavailable. This is like Netflix: play all the content you want but you don't own any of it
nckfZOC.gif

Jesus, man. What did you think it was?

It's just like Spotify, Google Music, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. It's a service you stream music from. If you unsubscribe you lose the music. It's not yours. I don't understand how your missing the point of the above services.

Your practically renting. Your not owning. If you want to own. You download from iTunes and it's yours.

Your going to use data if your streaming. If you don't want to use your cellular data. Turn it OFF and restrict it to WiFi. If you don't want to STREAM. DOWNLOAD the album or song to your device.

If you ever UNSUBSCRIBE you LOSE ALL the music. Because you DIDN'T buy it. Your in other words just LOANING them because of the SUBSCRIPTION.

Simple.

nckfZOC.gif

Jesus, man. What did you think it was?

It's just like Spotify, Google Music, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. It's a service you stream music from. If you unsubscribe you lose the music. It's not yours. I don't understand how your missing the point of the above services.

Your practically renting. Your not owning. If you want to own. You download from iTunes and it's yours.

Your going to use data if your streaming. If you don't want to use your cellular data. Turn it OFF and restrict it to WiFi. If you don't want to STREAM. DOWNLOAD the album or song to your device.

If you ever UNSUBSCRIBE you LOSE ALL the music. Because you DIDN'T buy it. Your in other words just LOANING them because of the SUBSCRIPTION.

Simple.

I don't understand why you're replying to me?

Ashhong

I don't understand why you're replying to me?

I don't know why but that post with that GIF and then your reply just sent me into a laughing fit.

But yea, I'm really not understanding what that poster wants out of this. I feel like it is exactly what he needs

ecurbj

But yea, I'm really not understanding what that poster wants out of this. I feel like it is exactly what he needs
I don't know either. I'm just looking thru the thread and seeing him go back forth over something that's VERY clear of its operation. It's the same streaming idea like ALL streaming services. THIS is exactly what he needs. He confused the hell out of me when he was asking questions that were already answered CLEARLY.

Majine

Banned
Noticed that some songs just won't start playing, and it's driving me insane and the band-aid solution usually involves just downloading the song if I really want to listen to it.

J2d

Has there been any news on using the remote app to control and search Apple Music? This is really pissing me off, should have been a day one thing :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah none of the streaming services are paying enough it seems.

They can only hand over 70% of the money they get, and Sony are being sued for forcing contracts with Spotify (which established the market) in which the major labels can keep more than they pay out in royalties.

http://m.billboard.com/articles/bus...tify-equity-artist-royalties-lawsuit-breakage

They treat streaming as "sales" or "distributions", when it should be "transmissions".

That one word means they don't have to give artists an even split, it's typical record industry bullshit.

And in the meantime while the market grows they force the consumer to hand over even more money by denying things from streaming services.

All in the name of the artist, of course.

Apple Music Comes To Sonos On December 15

At long last Apple Music is headed to Sonos. Making good on a promise made back in June, Sonos said Monday that Apple’s new streaming music service will debut on its wireless speakers before the end of the year. Apple Music will become available as a public beta on Sonos starting December 15 with general availability to begin in early 2016.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/apple-music-comes-to-sonos-on-december-15

So I've been loving Apple Music for the past week until today. I've had no issues with offline play; I created a playlist, would heart and add track to my playlist and even if I was away from wifi I could still access my playlist. But today the playlist is not available unless I'm on wifi, which is totally not what "offline" is supposed to be.

Can someone explain why this has happened? Cuz I've done nothing to change any setting on my phone.

iOS 9.2 is out with some Music changes:

Apple Music improvements
- You can now create a new playlist when adding a song to a playlist
- Your most recently changed playlist is now listed at the top when adding songs to playlists
- Download albums or playlists from your iCloud Music Library by tapping the iCloud download button
- See which songs have been downloaded with the new download indicator next to each song in My Music and Playlists
- See works, composers, and performers while browsing Classical music in the Apple Music catalog

Shane86

So I've been loving Apple Music for the past week until today. I've had no issues with offline play; I created a playlist, would heart and add track to my playlist and even if I was away from wifi I could still access my playlist. But today the playlist is not available unless I'm on wifi, which is totally not what "offline" is supposed to be.

Can someone explain why this has happened? Cuz I've done nothing to change any setting on my phone.

Had a similar problem, I lost 3G connection on my phone and it wouldn't let me play the songs I had already downloaded for offline listening and kept saying no internet connection.

iOS 9.2 is out with some Music changes:

Apple Music improvements
- You can now create a new playlist when adding a song to a playlist
- Your most recently changed playlist is now listed at the top when adding songs to playlists
- Download albums or playlists from your iCloud Music Library by tapping the iCloud download button
- See which songs have been downloaded with the new download indicator next to each song in My Music and Playlists
- See works, composers, and performers while browsing Classical music in the Apple Music catalog

I hope they fixed the bug where you try to go to an artists' page/album and it just shows "null" or something. How fucking annoying

I kind of miss swiping between the Music and Playlists (now you have to tap the button at the top).

I do like the new downloaded icon and that they will automatically download songs to downloaded playlists when they dynamically change

That is weird, I don't have any issues with tracks downloading when I don't want them to.

Is it related to playlists? One of the features they added is if you want a playlist to be offline, when there's a change made to it, it will download the new tracks that have not been downloaded

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh man. It's re-downloading 250 tracks and now every album that I have manually synced to my phone now shows duplicates for each track, no doubt some iCloud Music Library error. It displayed fine 20 minutes ago until I updated. I think it's time to go back to Spotify - what a disaster :(

GWX

Is there a reason my phone is redownloading loads of tracks after updating?

It redownloaded every song I had on my iPhone which was directly from Apple Music, not from my uploads or the songs I added manually before AM released back in june. Weird as shit, will wait to upload my iPad as I have tons of AM songs synced there.

The 9.1 Apple Music interface was a piece of fuckery especially when it came to downloading tracks. 9.2 this is basically fixed. Now I'm just tearing down music now that it's two taps. One to add, one to download to the phone.

Tomodachi

Oh joy, yet another instance in which Apple Music decides the whole offline library must be deleted and redownloaded. This is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: it's still pretty buggy and frustrating for me.
E.g. if I download all songs from an album (most of the times) it still doesn't show the album as downloaded; if I download all albums from an artist (most of the times) it doesn't show the artist as downloaded. That hard, uh?
Also, you'd think Apple would at least borrow the essential features from its competitors (I don't know, notifications for new stuff your favourite artists release on Apple Music) but no, after five months still buggy and lacking.

Ashhong

So I added Adele to my iTunes (obviously not on AM), it uploaded to my iCloud, and I added it to a playlist. I check my phone and it is automatically downloading the album to my phone. Is this a new setting? Why is it automatically downloading?

neshcom

Banned
So I added Adele to my iTunes (obviously not on AM), it uploaded to my iCloud, and I added it to a playlist. I check my phone and it is automatically downloading the album to my phone. Is this a new setting? Why is it automatically downloading?

Is that playlist set to Keep Offline? Maybe you have a smart playlist (like Recently Added) set to offline?

Top Bottom