• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a stickler for display quality, the biggest deal to me is the laminated display.

For the record I still have an iPad 1 but am thinking about upgrading now.

If you're still using an iPad 1 and the iPad Air 2 still makes you think about upgrading then there won't be an iPad to convince you to upgrade

mrkgoo

If you're still using an iPad 1 and the iPad Air 2 still makes you think about upgrading then there won't be an iPad to convince you to upgrade

It's not like I'm holding out for a particular feature.

I had an iPad since launch and loved it, but it's just a priority thing. I needed to upgrade my phone a couple years back and my computer last year. That left the iPad on the wayside.

It is obviously due, but on a low budget I have to prioritise where I spend my money and an iPad is just a luxury not a necessity.

However, the longer I wait the more "rock" cycles I see and the more I get out of a potential upgrade!

madmook

Went from Air 1 to 2. The speed increase is immediately appreciable. Safari tabs don't easily reload and some gif-oriented gaf threads I've tested work a lot better than they did on Air 1. Very pleased thusfar.

Gamerloid

Picking up the Air 2 tomorrow. I keep seeing that the iPad 3 --> Air 2 is amazing, so I'm excited. Went with 128GBs because my current one is 16GBs and I'm constantly in manage mode having to delete stuff and make tough choices when going on a trip. Since this has 2 gigs of RAM, I just went all out because I don't see them going 4GBs for some time.

Laekon

Guess I should have been a little more aggressive with my trade in and purchase at Best Buy. You can't even back order a 64GB grey Air 2 right now. Hope they get more stock in soon. I know a lot of people like it but I just don't like the white fronts on phone and tablets. Bezels should disappear not stand out.

BashNasty

Man, I really want an iPad air 2, but I really don't need one. I have an iPhone 5S for all my on the go browsing needs, and I have a retina macbook at home for any couch computing needs. An iPad doesn't really do anything new for me, but I want one because I fucking love new tech an have never owned an iPad.

Anything that I could do better with an iPad than I can do with my other devices, or am I just being crazy and tech-lustful?

rezuth

Man, I really want an iPad air 2, but I really don't need one. I have an iPhone 5S for all my on the go browsing needs, and I have a retina macbook at home for any couch computing needs. An iPad doesn't really do anything new for me, but I want one because I fucking love new tech an have never owned an iPad.

Anything that I could do better with an iPad than I can do with my other devices, or am I just being crazy and tech-lustful?

Consume all your media. Netflix, Streaming in general, Comicbook, browsing the web, reddit etc. It honestly changed my life.

Ovid

That's exactly how I feel. I went into Best Buy this morning and everything. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

I have an iPhone 6 and a Nexus 7. I kinda feel like I'll just paying for a $600 tablet (64GB is a no brainer) with a bigger screen.

Red

My iPad 3 was used almost exclusively for comic books. It was great, but I couldn't justify owning it only for that (plus all the other functions made redundant by my other gadgets).

Ambitious

Air 2 owners, how bad would you say is the vibration? After reading the first few pages of the macrumors thread, I initially decided against buying it. But I highly doubt they fix it stealthily, so I would have to wait for next year's model. That's too long.

However, I've now read the whole macrumors thread, and I'm kinda worried again. Plenty of people returning it. I used to hold my old iPad in my hands most of the time, and I never used earphones with it.

Air 2 owners, how bad would you say is the vibration? After reading the first few pages of the macrumors thread, I initially decided against buying it. But I highly doubt they fix it stealthily, so I would have to wait for next year's model. That's too long.

However, I've now read the whole macrumors thread, and I'm kinda worried again. Plenty of people returning it. I used to hold my old iPad in my hands most of the time, and I never used earphones with it.

The vibrating exists, there is no denying it, it didn't really bother me as I got used to it quick though

mrkgoo

Bending and vibrations.

I call it physics.

My iPhone 5 vibrates with sound.

Edit: just got first play with an iPad air 2. It does vibrate pretty significantly. More so than iPad mini 3 they had on display

Quasar

The vibrating exists, there is no denying it, it didn't really bother me as I got used to it quick though

It doesn't really bother me either. Though it did make me wonder if its felt when in a case.

For me at least at my normal volume level I only barely notice it.

leng jai

That's exactly how I feel. I went into Best Buy this morning and everything. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

I have an iPhone 6 and a Nexus 7. I kinda feel like I'll just paying for a $600 tablet (64GB is a no brainer) with a bigger screen.

This is me. Stood in the Apple store with one for 15 minutes but couldn't pull the trigger.

My iPad 3 was used almost exclusively for comic books. It was great, but I couldn't justify owning it only for that (plus all the other functions made redundant by my other gadgets).

My iPad 3 hand me down has been solely used as a gigantic iTunes remote, lol.

Toki767

I tried out the iPad Air 2 today. The vibration is real. Not even at half the maximum volume you could feel it. It felt pretty ridiculous when the volume was maxed out.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Imo it really doesn't matter that much, and the reaction to it is a testament to how the Internet is full of nutjobs. It totally does vibrate. It's really not that big a deal. As I've said before, in games (the only time I'm really HOLDING it actively) I kind of enjoy it, gives the action a tactile feel. I just don't think its bad enough to justify returning such an otherwise flawless device.

Just holding this thing makes me happy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Imo it really doesn't matter that much, and the reaction to it is a testament to how the Internet is full of nutjobs. It totally does vibrate. It's really not that big a deal. As I've said before, in games (the only time I'm really HOLDING it actively) I kind of enjoy it, gives the action a tactile feel. I just don't think its bad enough to justify returning such an otherwise flawless device.

Just holding this thing makes me happy.

The vibration is quite unpleasant to me when the volume is high, even through the smart cover.

Yes

Apparently, the volume doesn't even have to be that high. I would try it for myself if I could, but none of the local stores has received it yet.

It's easily noticeable. The speakers themselves are of a higher quality (and louder) than the first gen Air but you can definitely feel the sound.

If you could possibly get one from somewhere with a decent return policy (I'm assuming you don't have an Apple Store nearby if nowhere has it yet) I'd suggest doing that - it's a bit surprising initially, but I got used to it quickly enough & it's not something I dislike (admittedly, for movies I use headphones, but on the occasions I play games without, I don't consider it a negative) - in your position though, it's something I'd test out over a few days before deciding it's too big a deal to keep the device.

Juice

Went from Air 1 to 2. The speed increase is immediately appreciable. Safari tabs don't easily reload and some gif-oriented gaf threads I've tested work a lot better than they did on Air 1. Very pleased thusfar.

Last year I bought an Air but I returned it because it still felt too heavy and bulky. I picked up a retina mini instead. The Air 2 is exactly what I wanted last year though. Love it!

Juice

I tried out the iPad Air 2 today. The vibration is real. Not even at half the maximum volume you could feel it. It felt pretty ridiculous when the volume was maxed out.

Even then, it doesn't bug me. It's impossible to have a strong speaker and a thin chassis and eliminate vibrating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Web browsing and media consumption was so much easier and more convenient with my iPad 1, that I sold my MacBook air. That then freed me up to build a gaming PC.

Vibration is annoying if I'm holding it and the volume is up. But usually I'm not doing that. If I'm holding it I'll either be using headphones or the volume will be low. If the volume is up I'm probably watching a video and the iPad will be propped up on the Smart Cover or resting on my leg. In those cases I can't feel anything (just tested on my leg)

Having said that, the vibration is noticeable when holding it even at 2 bars of volume, and it is a bit distracting

leng jai

Web browsing and media consumption was so much easier and more convenient with my iPad 1, that I sold my MacBook air. That then freed me up to build a gaming PC.

Vibration is annoying if I'm holding it and the volume is up. But usually I'm not doing that. If I'm holding it I'll either be using headphones or the volume will be low. If the volume is up I'm probably watching a video and the iPad will be propped up on the Smart Cover or resting on my leg. In those cases I can't feel anything (just tested on my leg)

Having said that, the vibration is noticeable when holding it even at 2 bars of volume, and it is a bit distracting

Until you want to actually type something. My MB Pro is a lot better for videos though the iPad definitely wins for Ebooks.

Red

I never liked reading books on an iPad. Something about prolonged reading on an LCD bothers me. My Kindle e-reader is leagues better.

FWIW, I've got a lot more value out of my (much less valuable) Chromebook than I ever did my iPad. But I am not a heavy iOS gamer, and I don't do a whole lot of web browsing/facebook/etc. It was the greatest comic-book reader I've ever seen, and it ran Knights of the Old Republic. That's about all the use I had for it.

I am for the tablet form factor and I think Apple is doing great things. But if you're trying to convince yourself you need a tablet, you don't need one.

So much for considering upgrading from my ipad3 to the air2...the vibration is the type of build issue which would irritate me to distraction.

Very surprised no tech site mentioned it in any of their reviews. Incompetence or...

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
After a few days of use, I don't even notice the vibration any more. And if you look back at my original impressions, it was the only nitpick I had.

I worried if I had the volume up and placed it on a glass table, or on the side of a bathtub, it would vibrate like crazy. It doesn't.

As a stickler for display quality, the biggest deal to me is the laminated display.

For the record I still have an iPad 1 but am thinking about upgrading now.

laminated display is the #1 reason i didn't buy the air last year, and color gamut was the reason i didn't buy the mini. i had a 64GB mini 1 that i sold ahead of the 2013 event fully expecting to get a new model of some description, but both of them were disappointing, so i've been trucking along with a 16GB ipad 3 all this time.

thankfully apple made the decision easy this time around! the air 2 is the best iOS device yet.

Waku

I am replacing a 2 year old custom build that had an HD6950 in it and the iMac seems to be better all around

What resolution are you gaming at? or let me ask you this way, how does 1080/1440p look on the retina. 1080p Image looks a little muddy on my 1440p and i will upgrade in the coming months, just wondering how the Retina Pixel desnity changes image quality if you game on lower res as 5k Gaming seems to be pretty out of the question with... pretty much anything.

Ambitious

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I really need to try it first. But as I posted, no retailer has it in stock yet. In fact, except for two of them, none even mention it on their websites, not even the Apple Premium Resellers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Until you want to actually type something. My MB Pro is a lot better for videos though the iPad definitely wins for Ebooks.

The fastest device to type on is the one you have with you. My iPad is always in arms reach on the coffee table, and tapping out short responses to Facebook updates, emails or GAF threads is fine. Anything bigger and I can whip out my wireless apple keyboard or just go and use my computer.

I certainly don't disbelieve you - I've no doubt that some units are defective in such a way that only a tiny amount of pressure triggers it. Like 'bendgate', however, I suspect many of the people claiming the issue are misunderstanding and claiming it affects them even though more force has to be applied in order for the problem to occur.

I've seen a video of someone whose iPad shows the ripples when they merely walk around with the Smart Cover folded to the back - mine does nothing of the sort & needs actual pressure.

I saw the macrumors video, I only get that ripple in one spot and that's only after applying pressure that isn't natural, having to force it. I did the walk test or whatever he did, his is an extreme circumstance

But then I read people on that forum exchanging their iPhone 6-7 times

Alright, I just tried this out. It's the right middle part of the Air 2 that seems to be doing the most on mine.

Not just applying pressure, even holding the iPad with my right hand towards the edge of the iPad on the middle right side makes it do that or even trying to shake the iPad holding it there does it.

Juice

What resolution are you gaming at? or let me ask you this way, how does 1080/1440p look on the retina. 1080p Image looks a little muddy on my 1440p and i will upgrade in the coming months, just wondering how the Retina Pixel desnity changes image quality if you game on lower res as 5k Gaming seems to be pretty out of the question with... pretty much anything.

i play mostly at 2560p which looks almost as good as native on this display. (I played at 2560p before, as well on an apple cinema display)

Fuchsdh

1440p gaming would look exactly like gaming full rez on an old 27" computer--you'd be using the same pixel density, so it shouldn't look any worse (except, I guess, in comparison to the sharper retina resolution for the system.)

Juice

1440p gaming would look exactly like gaming full rez on an old 27" computer--you'd be using the same pixel density, so it shouldn't look any worse (except, I guess, in comparison to the sharper retina resolution for the system.)

you tend to get some blurriness whenever you're scaling way way up to the native resolution of the display.

Fuchsdh

you tend to get some blurriness whenever you're scaling way way up to the native resolution of the display.

Yeah, but you're scaling 2x in a screen that's twice as dense. Seems like it would be a net-zero effect, although I guess the scaler itself is the real determinant here.

Juice

Yeah, but you're scaling 2x in a screen that's twice as dense. Seems like it would be a net-zero effect, although I guess the scaler itself is the real determinant here.

Theoretically it shouldn't look worse, but it always does to my eyes in practice

Waku

Well thanks for the impressions, still unsure how to procede, i am one of the strange ones who does a lot of gaming on his iMacs in Bootcamp. I guess i'll wait till the next hardware refresh and then decide if i want to jump on the retina wagon or remain on the normal res side for one more round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom