• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hmm why is there no official iPad Air 2 thread?

Got two iPad Air 2 (64GB) today one for me and one for my brother strange thing is his iPad Air 2 got hot on one side straight away while my one been using all day did not get hot or even warm. Gonna return it for another one battery seems to be running down faster on his one too.

This is such a nice upgrade over iPad 3 haha.

The speakers definitely vibrate on both the iPad Air 2's I got.

I don't think it's completely related to the thinness of the device. The vibrations are totally different between the Air and Air 2. I wouldn't expect the vibrations to change that much with a difference of <1mm. I feel it's more about the speaker design. It's like they are open backed speakers so that the whole interior of the iPad serves as the speaker box. That might be why the sound is improved. I feel like the old speakers are more of a closed back speaker. If that was the case, it could be changed by updating the speaker design. But that's just speculation on my part.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. The sound quality is definitely better & it seems louder to me - these are definitely the most potent speakers found on an iPad, and I'm almost certain that is the reason for the vibration.

With that said, I struggle to see why anyone would be so bothered by the vibration to the point where it would be a deal-breaker but not be bothered by the inferior audio quality vs wearing headphones. That's peculiar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm.....looking at the prices of iPad Air, I'm wondering if I should just save a few bucks(lol) get one instead of the Air 2. What do you guys think/suggest?

Entirely up to you. Both are top of the line iPads and will last you years (software still being written to support iPad 2 so not much really leverages the new processors).

Personally I think the 2GB makes it a little more futureproof in case things like split screen come along in iOS 9, and you already get improved tab handling in Safari. And the laminated screen is a lot more solid than the air.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. The sound quality is definitely better & it seems louder to me - these are definitely the most potent speakers found on an iPad, and I'm almost certain that is the reason for the vibration.

With that said, I struggle to see why anyone would be so bothered by the vibration to the point where it would be a deal-breaker but not be bothered by the inferior audio quality vs wearing headphones. That's peculiar.

Because most people aren't using iPads for serious listening.
They're hilding the device while playing a few silly videos or playing a game. If it's constantly buzzing/vibrating then I can see the turnoff.

If this is worse than the mini, which also kind of does this, then I can easily see why.

.hacked

So stopped in to check out the anti glare screen...

i7YF2PP7xiOkT.jpg

Think I'll hold onto my air till next year.

leng jai

You definitely distort the screen by pushing hard against the glass. Whether or not pressing on it much harder than you would under any reasonable circumstance is a problem depends on how badly crippled you are by a particularly obsessive strand of OCD.

They're talking about pressing on the back side of the iPad. Some are claiming it distorts from almost regular usage.

If that's what you have to do, it's not worth it upgrading for that reason IMO.

I disagree entirely with that logic because lots of people can't see the difference between resolution, frame rate and all sorts of different things that become unmistakable (and indeed impossible to regress from) with direct comparison, but I cannot imagine a single person upgrading for the anti-glare coating alone. It's a nice addition, but it's way down on the list of reasons to buy.

They're talking about pressing on the back side of the iPad. Some are claiming it distorts from almost regular usage.

I can make it happen if I push my finger fairly hard into the spot mentioned. "Almost regular usage" doesn't involve digging your into the device at any point, so either they're being weird about it or they've got faulty iPads. If you read that thread to the end, you'll discover that the starter has pretty bad OCD.

(and let's face it, MacRumors is a haven not just for people with reasonable complaints but also a large and very vocal contingent of the most freakishly picky people you'll find anywhere online. I thought I was bad until I discovered that place.)

.hacked

I use my iPad Air every day at work and had high hopes for the screen and was very disappointed. iPad Air 2 is a wonderful tablet but those looking for a solution for the glare this is a baby step at best. Not worth the upgrade price for me (figured about $275 after eBay fees) will wait for next years model.

leng jai

I can make it happen if I push my finger fairly hard into the spot mentioned. "Almost regular usage" doesn't involve digging your into the device at any point, so either they're being weird about it or they've got faulty iPads.

(and let's face it, MacRumors is a haven not just for people with reasonable complaints but also a large and very vocal contingent of the most freakishly picky people you'll find anywhere online. I thought I was bad until I discovered that place.)

Well yeah, MacRumours members are a funny bunch. The exaggerate every flaw to it's maximum but they still uncover legitimate issues sometimes.

Majine

Banned
I disagree entirely with that logic because lots of people can't see the difference between resolution, frame rate and all sorts of different things that become unmistakable (and indeed impossible to regress from) with direct comparison, but I cannot imagine a single person upgrading for the anti-glare coating alone. It's a nice addition, but it's way down on the list of reasons to buy.

How does it make a good point if you can't see the difference unless you pull out the previous model to compare? I assume you're only gonna keep one of them in normal use.

If I'd buy it, it would be because of the thinner body and faster processor, two things that are immediately noticeable without comparisons.

How does it make a good point if you can't see the difference unless you pull out the previous model to compare?

If I'd buy it, it would be because of the thinner body and faster processor, two things that are immediately noticeable without comparisons.

Because it's an improvement that, while not necessarily noticeable at first, is actually something that enhances the improvement. We take plenty of things for granted because they're not in-your-face, but it then comes to be something you'd rather not be with it - were it taken away you'd soon notice.

I'm sure some people won't notice the laminated display (not the anti-glare), but once you've seen it and ESPECIALLY if you happen to have your first-gen Air around, the difference is unmistakeable and considerable. Plenty of people in 2012 claimed that the iPad's retina display was only a minor improvement.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Because most people aren't using iPads for serious listening.
They're holding the device while playing a few silly videos or playing a game. If it's constantly buzzing/vibrating then I can see the turnoff.

If this is worse than the mini, which also kind of does this, then I can easily see why.
Yep. I find the speaker quality good enough to catch up on my youtube subscriptions and the like, and if I'm going to watch the odd TV show episode in the bed while I'm lying sideways I'd rather not use headphones since it's uncomfortable when I have my head on a pillow. And in bed is probably where I use the device the most. Also, with games I can see this being an annoyance with the screen itself vibrating.

And honestly, I use earphones enough throughout the day with the iPhone, so even from a health standpoint it's a good idea to give my ears a rest at home. "You're using it wrong, ignore the speakers and just use headphones" style of response is bullshit, I'm glad I haven't seen it yet though.

It's not something I was expecting to be an issue and it's giving me pause. That said, I'll have to see how bad it is in real life and decide for myself. Hopefully it's not much worse than the mini.

HylianTom

Banned
That was really quick. Woke up, checked my email, and my iPad has already shipped. At this rate, I think it'll be arriving before the initially estmated date (Nov 2).

Had a chance to try one last night very briefly. Could definitely feel the vibrating, but it wasn't a rattling and it didn't distort the sound at all. No screen distortions to be seen (although I didn't know to look for them until after I got home and read about them). Now that I'll be looking for them, I'm sure I'll see distortions all over the place.. :p

All in all, a fast device. No apparent issues with Safari reloading tabs. Not sure how much thinner they could get. They could've stayed at iPad 2's thickness for all I care.

Had a chance to try one last night very briefly. Could definitely feel the vibrating, but it wasn't a rattling and it didn't distort the sound at all. No screen distortions to be seen (although I didn't know to look for them until after I got home and read about them). Now that I'll be looking for them, I'm sure I'll see distortions all over the place.. :p

You'll see it if you apply pressure to the back - not a huge amount of pressure, but considerably more than with general use. Like the PS4 wobble it's there, it exists, but it's not going to trouble you unless you go looking for it.

All in all, a fast device. No apparent issues with Safari reloading tabs. Not sure how much thinner they could get. They could've stayed at iPad 2's thickness for all I care.
Very fast, I'm loving how snappy it is. It's a world of a difference coming from the 3. I'm getting used to the form slowly but surely.

Faulty units in those pictures I saw then?
I'm checking one out today and will check for myself. As long as I can't see it when picking up and holding with one hand I'll be happy.

No, you can replicate it easily enough - you just have to push your finger into the back, but it's way out of the boundaries of normal use. I hold mine one handed and haven't ever had it inadvertently happen. Like I said: as with the PS4 wobble, it's easy enough to replicate but it's not going to haunt the dreams of anyone who can resist the urge to make it happen.

That's entirely untrue.

No it's not. Picking it up and holding it normally doesn't make the screen distort. You CAN make it distort easily enough if you want to, but it's never going to happen when you are watching a film or playing a game or browsing or whatever. Maybe if you pick it up tighter to get a firm grip to ensure you don't drop it and you happened to have the screen on, yes, I could see that. But then that's the device in transportation, not use.

The one thing I'm not liking is that you have to have passcode/fingerprint unlock enabled in order to use your fingerprint to make purchases through the App Store and iTunes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Th done thing I'm not liking is that you have to have passcode/fingerprint unlock enabled in order to use your fingerprint to make purchases through the App Store and iTunes.

Same. As a device likely to stay in my house for others to use, I'd prefer simple swipe to unlock, with touchID just for payments (and last pass). If I add family fingers so they can use it for safari, then they can also authorise purchases

Though I use TouchID to unlock, I really don't understand why the two aren't separate. I'm sure they will be in future but for now it's a mystifying decision.

Juice

My retina iMac is the most amazing thing I've ever used. Even gaming in Boot Camp works great.

Thank you Based Cook

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yuck. That's exactly what occurred with this cheap Chinese tablet my mother originally bought.

From just normally holding it, the small pressure from your fingers on the back would distort the screen.

You have to push very hard and the distortion literarily only lasts a second even if you are continuously pushing. In order to get those images you have to time the picture right. No one pushes on their tablet like this with normal usage.

zychi

Banned
Loving the air 2, but if you have an air 1 there's really no reason to upgrade. I use Bluetooth headphones so the "vibrating" doesn't bother me that much.

Jaxx

Banned
No it's not. Picking it up and holding it normally doesn't make the screen distort. You CAN make it distort easily enough if you want to, but it's never going to happen when you are watching a film or playing a game or browsing or whatever. Maybe if you pick it up tighter to get a firm grip to ensure you don't drop it and you happened to have the screen on, yes, I could see that. But then that's the device in transportation, not use.

Then ours is different than yours. Holding it in a very specific way causes two distinct spots to occur on screen. My wife nor I are pressing hard to make it happen. We're merely holding it. It's only one area on the iPad doing it, but it's consistent and not the result of force being applied.

Loving the air 2, but if you have an air 1 there's really no reason to upgrade. I use Bluetooth headphones so the "vibrating" doesn't bother me that much.

This is the way I've been leaning. I have an Air 2 waiting for me at Best Buy, but I think I'm going to cancel the pick up and just keep my Air 1. I have the 64 gb model so space isn't an issue, and for what I use it for I'm not really sure I can justify the upgrade even with the good trade in deal BB is offering.

Then ours is different than yours. Holding it in a very specific way causes two distinct spots to occur on screen. My wife nor I are pressing hard to make it happen. We're merely holding it. It's only one area on the iPad doing it, but it's consistent and not the result of force being applied.

Is this spot for you on the front or back? If it is occurring that easily via the back, sounds like you have a faulty unit. If it's the front, that's going to happen when you press on any LCD that is so close to the surface. I can make that happen easily enough - it takes a type of grip that isn't going to be exercised when I'm playing a game or browsing the Internet, but could show when I'm readjusting my grip. That's normal & nothing to worry about. I can do it on the first gen Air, but it takes a a harder press because the screen is buried under the glass - that is an effect of having a laminated display on a device of the iPad's size rather than anything to do with the thickness of the device itself.

To get the effect via the back, I have to push a fair bit harder than I'm comfortable doing. It can be replicated, but only if I'm looking to do so.

calder

Got an Air2 last night and I'm loving it, nice upgrade from my 4. Apps load noticeably quicker, but even more than that the speed of the wifi is great now. GAF loads almost instantly. Screen is a bit nicer too, I had been hoping for a resolution upgrade but it's hardly needed I guess.

Going from 32G to 64 is almost the best part, I was able to reinstall some 1.5g+ games i had to uninstall from my old iPad. Next phone upgrade I'm definitely getting 64g, having a 16G iPhone has been a constant nuisance.

Jaxx

Banned
Is this spot for you on the front or back? If it is occurring that easily via the back, sounds like you have a faulty unit. If it's the front, that's going to happen when you press on any LCD that is so close to the surface. I can make that happen easily enough - it takes a type of grip that isn't going to be exercised when I'm playing a game or browsing the Internet, but could show when I'm readjusting my grip. That's normal & nothing to worry about. I can do it on the first gen Air, but it takes a a harder press because the screen is buried under the glass - that is an effect of having a laminated display on a device of the iPad's size rather than anything to do with the thickness of the device itself.

To get the effect via the back, I have to push a fair bit harder than I'm comfortable doing. It can be replicated, but only if I'm looking to do so.

It's on the back. If you hold it like a book with the Touch Id on the bottom, the lower right is where our fingers naturally hold it and that's where it occurs. I've never seen that on an iPad before, but it could be faulty. I've seen others post pictures of it so I assume it was normal. Regardless, I'm taking it back because my wife doesn't like the way the whole thing vibrates when she watches videos or listens to music. Probably going to buy her an iPad Air 1 refurb instead.

Except the 2GB RAM makes a night and difference with safari and refreshing of apps. But I use the iPad quite a bit so it might not be a big deal for most

It's on the back. If you hold it like a book with the Touch Id on the bottom, the lower right is where our fingers naturally hold it and that's where it occurs. I've never seen that on an iPad before, but it could be faulty. I've seen others post pictures of it so I assume it was normal. Regardless, I'm taking it back because my wife doesn't like the way the whole thing vibrates when she watches videos or listens to music. Probably going to buy her an iPad Air 1 refurb instead.

I certainly don't disbelieve you - I've no doubt that some units are defective in such a way that only a tiny amount of pressure triggers it. Like 'bendgate', however, I suspect many of the people claiming the issue are misunderstanding and claiming it affects them even though more force has to be applied in order for the problem to occur.

I've seen a video of someone whose iPad shows the ripples when they merely walk around with the Smart Cover folded to the back - mine does nothing of the sort & needs actual pressure.

I certainly don't disbelieve you - I've no doubt that some units are defective in such a way that only a tiny amount of pressure triggers it. Like 'bendgate', however, I suspect many of the people claiming the issue are misunderstanding and claiming it affects them even though more force has to be applied in order for the problem to occur.

I've seen a video of someone whose iPad shows the ripples when they merely walk around with the Smart Cover folded to the back - mine does nothing of the sort & needs actual pressure.

I saw the macrumors video, I only get that ripple in one spot and that's only after applying pressure that isn't natural, having to force it. I did the walk test or whatever he did, his is an extreme circumstance

But then I read people on that forum exchanging their iPhone 6-7 times

mrkgoo

As a stickler for display quality, the biggest deal to me is the laminated display.

For the record I still have an iPad 1 but am thinking about upgrading now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom