• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerloid

It's not a huge deal since I'll be out of town today and couldn't pick up my Air 2 until tomorrow, but what is going on with Best Buy and their pre-orders? Yesterday they send me an email saying that my 64 gb Space Gray model would be ready for pick up today. This morning I wake up to an email saying that it will be ready to pick up tomorrow. They also so the Space Gray model as not available while the other colors are. I wonder if they somehow didn't get stick of the Space Gray version or what. I went with Best Buy because I had rewards to use and they seem to have a good trade in deal towards an Air 2, but I'm starting to wonder if this was a giant mistake.

I also went with best buy because of rewards and the trade in value, but I was never able to pre-order the 128GB Gold Air 2 for store pick-up. My store continues to say unavailable.

I also went with best buy because of rewards and the trade in value, but I was never able to pre-order the 128GB Gold Air 2 for store pick-up. My store continues to say unavailable.

I'm not going to be surprised if I wake up tomorrow to another email saying there is a delay. What a mess they are.

CronoShot

The Best Buy near me has a 128GB Silver Air 2 available for in store pickup. But I can't fucking cancel my online preorder that's been sitting at "Order in Process" since Monday. Because reasons.

I guess I can just do the in store pickup anyway, and return the other one when it gets here, whenever the hell that may be.

SiDCrAzY

The Best Buy near me has a 128GB Silver Air 2 available for in store pickup. But I can't fucking cancel my online preorder that's been sitting at "Order in Process" since Monday. Because reasons.

Same here, status is order in process > preparing order. When I called Best Buy yesterday it said I had an estimated delivery date of 10/27, today it says 10/26. I don't think that's right though.

I also ordered a case off Ebay and the seller sent it to the wrong address -_-

I guess I can just do the in store pickup anyway, and return the other one when it gets here, whenever the hell that may be.

I can't cancel my order anymore even though it keeps getting pushed back a day. I could have cancelled last night had I wanted to, but I was told it would be available to pick up today. Today I got an email saying I could pick it up tomorrow not today and now my order can't be cancelled. The best part is that my order status in my account has said it was available to pick up yesterday, but I called the store and said the online order status is wrong and I have to go by what the emails they have sent me say. What a mess.

badb0y

Going to pick up an iPad Air 2 from BestBuy today. They are apparently offering $200 for an iPad Mini 16GB 1st generation so why not? Also, should I bring everything(box,charger,wire) in with me when I take it for the trade-in?

Psykoboy2

Both Best Buy's I have been to today don't have any cases of any kind in stock for the Air 2. The Air 1 cases actually fit rather well, but the alignment is off for the camera and the volume buttons (plus a mute switch hole where now there is no mute switch).

kehs

Banned
Good job ATT

cellular-att-SIM.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/24/att-apple-sim/

I just set up my new iPad and logged in with my iCloud ID but all my purchases are gone what the hell? I'm restoring an old backup from my old iPad but I really didn't want to do this

mrkgoo

I just set up my new iPad and logged in with my iCloud ID but all my purchases are gone what the hell? I'm restoring an old backup from my old iPad but I really didn't want to do this
If you set up from new, and then log in, it's like new just using that account.

You can redownload any purchases you've made on that account for free. You can quickly find your purchases all in one place by going to the AppStore, selecting Updates, and looking in the Purchases area.

If you restore from backup, you will retain previous save data for each app, but each app will still have to redownload from the AppStore.

My suggestion if it has been a while since you have used an iPad or yor backup is really old, and you don't NEED your app save data, is to start from new. Out with the old and possibly deprecated save data and start a fresh.

Jaxx

Banned
Just got my air 2.
Everything was great until I put some sound.
Wow this thing vibrates like crazy, it's really unpleasant.

Yep, even with a full body case on it, it's really irritating. The screen itself vibrates. Another huge disappointment is the Apple Smart Case. It fits the Air 2 really poorly. Kinda like the iPad is sitting in a bowl. I had to double check to make sure they sent my wife the correct case.

mrkgoo

Both Best Buy's I have been to today don't have any cases of any kind in stock for the Air 2. The Air 1 cases actually fit rather well, but the alignment is off for the camera and the volume buttons (plus a mute switch hole where now there is no mute switch).

To be fair, aside from Apple themselves, you can't expect a device to be unveiled one week and have a wide range of cases available the next.

Psykoboy2

To be fair, aside from Apple themselves, you can't expect a device to be unveiled one week and have a wide range of cases available the next.

Just a month ago there were iPhone 6 and 6+ cases available in their store a day before the phone released. The selection was minimal, but still, they had them.

leng jai

Is the gold exactly the same as the one used in the 6+? I checked out my mum's and it looks worse than it does in photos online.

Interested to see how bad the vibrations are from the speakers. Seems like a lot of people are kicking up a stink about it but you can never really take people online on face value.

mrkgoo

Just a month ago there were iPhone 6 and 6+ cases available in their store a day before the phone released. The selection was minimal, but still, they had them.
Yes mostly due to leaked specifications and as you say, minimal.

The iPad air 2 specs weren't as widely leaked befor hand. Perhaps out of interest, who knows.

My point is that it shouldn't be surprising that their party cases for a new form factor aren't widely available even if there may be exceptions in some instances. It shouldn't be the norm, nor expected.

leng jai

Yes mostly due to leaked specifications and as you say, minimal.

The iPad air 2 specs weren't as widely leaked befor hand. Perhaps out of interest, who knows.

My point is that it shouldn't be surprising that their party cases for a new form factor aren't widely available even if there may be exceptions in some instances. It shouldn't be the norm, nor expected.

That's always the issue for me when I buy phones and whatnot at launch. By the time the half decent cases come out I'm already at the point where I don't give a shit and going naked. Phones I've been using caseless for years anyway, and I'm sure the iPad i
will be fine like that if you're just at home.

mrkgoo

That's always the issue for me when I buy phones and whatnot at launch. By the time the half decent cases come out I'm already at the point where I don't give a shit and going naked. Phones I've been using caseless for years anyway, and I'm sure the iPad i
will be fine like that if you're just at home.

I've always used my phones naked also.

Just a preference. I understand why some people want them. I mean if it's a critical issue then it's best to just wait before purchasing an iPad, use a workaround, and offical case or a really cheap case in the meantime.

I had an iPad 1 from launch and just used the sleeve it came in for a while. Eventually I got a neoprene sleeve deal and if I bought a new iPad id probably just use that for a while.

But yeah, I get the issue but it should be unexpected.

Picked up the LTE version at an Apple Store store, crazy fast and pages and apps aren't refreshing. I think I'll be happy for the next year

Also thank god my targus iPad air cover still fits well

mrkgoo

Not sure how I feel about these new smart covers, I liked the one for my iPad 3.

At some point they changed the smart covers. They used to have 3 joints and 4 sections, the last overlapped and was more stable, but now they have 2 joints and no overlap. Seems Kiel a bad idea.

vehn

How come everything in the box says "ipad Air" instead of "ipad Air 2"? Makes me feel like the best buy guy gave me the wrong one

Jaxx

Banned
How come everything in the box says "ipad Air" instead of "ipad Air 2"? Makes me feel like the best buy guy gave me the wrong one

Check near the UPC. On my wife's smart case it only said Ipad Air 2 near there. As for the device itself, if it has the fingerprint reader, it's Air 2.

CronoShot

I had to scan the UPC with an app on my phone to make sure I got an Air 2 (without opening it of course). I'm paranoid like that.

badb0y

Went in to BestBuy to buy a iPad Air 2 since they are running the 200$ off promotion. Before checking out I look around at other tablets and see what else there is. To my surprise I found Samsung's Note 10.1/12.2 and the Surface Pro 3 much more useful than the new iPad Air 2. I feel like Apple is totally missing the boat by not integrating a stylus into the iPads at the very least. I don't feel like the phones need to have a stylus but the tablets definitely should.

I ended up not buying the iPad just to think on it before I pull the trigger.

toohectic

For those trying to differentiate the box, the iPad Air 2 box only shows the profile of the device with the screen completely obscured. Compared to an original Air box which shows an off-axis profile with the screen partially visible.

Vyer

Hoping that Best Buy doesn't drop the trade in value before my 10% off coupon gets here.

Anyone know if the $50 coupon offer has expired yet?

I'd essentially be looking at $410 of an Air 2 paid for.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Damn, I went to the Apple Store specifically to see the 5K Retina iMac and totally got distracted checking out the new iPads and I forgot about the iMac. Arg! Anyway, checked out the whole vibration deal on the Air 2. It's totally different than the older iPads. It's not just the bass, it's the entire range of audio that you can feel. So even regular talking was apparent in the vibrations. I don't think it will stop me from getting one seeing that I primarily use it for browsing, but I could see how others would be annoyed by it. Especially if you like to browse and play music simultaneously since the vibrations can be sensed on the screen surface. It was really the only negative; everything else about the new iPad was awesome. Oh yea, the gold back looked much better than I expected too.
Man, this is disappointing. I never have a case on my iPad 3 and always have the device naked (aside from a smart cover or a cheap slip in case for when I'm outside with it), but I'd consider using one on the Air 2 if it reduced this effect. Still, from what people are saying, having it inside a case doesn't make that much of a difference in alleviating the effect, and I'd hate to reduce the thinness. Also, it wouldn't make a difference if the screen itself vibrates.

Can more people that have one already chime in on this? How bad is this effect with the sound at 100%?

I was checking this thread on Mac Rumors and this is killing my hype. I'm not trying to overreact here, but the thing is I almost never use my iPad with headphones and I do a lot of video consumption on it, so for me this is unavoidably becoming a deal breaker. I was planning on just ordering the thing online when it became available here, but now I don't know if I want to do it without checking it out for myself.

Ambitious

Man, this is disappointing. I never have a case on my iPad 3 and always have the device naked (aside from a smart cover or a cheap slip in case for when I'm outside with it), but I'd consider using one on the Air 2 if it reduced this effect. Still, from what people are saying, having it inside a case doesn't make that much of a difference in alleviating the effect, and I'd hate to reduce the thinness. Also, it wouldn't make a difference if the screen itself vibrates.

Can more people that have one already chime in on this? How bad is this effect with the sound at 100%?

I was checking this thread on Mac Rumors and this is killing my hype. I'm not trying to overreact here, but the thing is I almost never use my iPad with headphones and I do a lot of video consumption on it, so for me this is unavoidably becoming a deal breaker. I was planning on just ordering the thing online when it became available here, but now I don't know if I want to do it without checking it out for myself.

I just read the MacRumors thread. Wow, sounds terrible. I'm going to skip that one.

First the bendgate and now this. Hopefully they will stop being over obsessive with the thinness of their devices.

And the thing is that they are just getting thinner for the sake of getting thinner. I own an Air 1 as do millions of other people and I've never heard anyone say that it wasn't thin enough.

toohectic

I don't think it's completely related to the thinness of the device. The vibrations are totally different between the Air and Air 2. I wouldn't expect the vibrations to change that much with a difference of <1mm. I feel it's more about the speaker design. It's like they are open backed speakers so that the whole interior of the iPad serves as the speaker box. That might be why the sound is improved. I feel like the old speakers are more of a closed back speaker. If that was the case, it could be changed by updating the speaker design. But that's just speculation on my part.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's really unfortunate for people who use speakers a lot. Thankfully I pretty much never use them, and I have to say coming from the 3 maybe the thing I appreciate the most is no heavy corners jabbing into my hand. Really comfortable to hold (I'm sure the 1 is the same.)

Ah, what a shame, but I know this would bother me to no end. Cancelled Target preorder; now I'm glad they hadn't shipped it yet. Will be checking for news on how they might possibly fix the issue in the future.

I got my air 2 yesterdsy and one of the first things I noticrd was the vibrating from the speakers. I did not even have the sound turned up pased 50%. itsa bit like a dual shock controller.

That doesn't sound good at all.

While I do my stuff at home, I usually walk around with music out of the iPad and I do play games laying on the couch with the sound out as well.

I do wish it has longer battery life though, more than the regular iPad.

Toki767

The vibration issue is making me second guess getting one. I'll have to try it for myself, but this might be a reason for me to get a Nexus 9 instead.

leng jai

Yeah the vibration is not too bad but I can see it being annoying if you're constantly using the speakers. Didn't end up pulling the trigger though, still undecided if I actually use an iPad enough to justify one.

Quasar

And the thing is that they are just getting thinner for the sake of getting thinner. I own an Air 1 as do millions of other people and I've never heard anyone say that it wasn't thin enough.

Well I don't think its wholly that. I think it's getting the weight down that's the driver of it more than thinness for thinness sake.

It doesn't bother me much (as I don't usually play high volume audio), though I have wonder what impact cases have.

I really wish I knew why they persist with bottom/rear speakers rather than front ones. Ditto other companies.

It doesn't really impact my feelings much, or really increase my desire for a nexus instead. Software continues to be the reason why I own a iPad over a nexus tablet. Much to my lament as I prefer the android OS. Maybe one day the android software situation will be as level with tablets.

toohectic

Did Apple brand any of the other iPads as anything other than iPad (or iPad Mini). Pretty sure my iPad 3 just said iPad.

Other than the Air and Mini family, all of the iPads' packaging just say iPad without any generation indicator. All the iPads themselves just say iPad including the Air and Mini.

Number45

Other than the Air and Mini family, all of the iPads' packaging just say iPad without any generation indicator. All the iPads themselves just say iPad including the Air and Mini.
Thought as much, was just surprised at the amount of people that weren't sure if they had the right model. Particularly given it has probably the most obvious visual clue of them all in Touch ID.

Tabris

So I got myself a 5K Retina iMac and it is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

It's much more faster than my 2012 MacBook Pro, the screen just looks jaw dropping gorgeous and the design fits so well with my apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom