• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Still early but 3rd party apps seem to be extremely faster than what I was getting before even after restarts. if performance stays like this then I'll go back to actually using more of them. I just had my first not loading app in trying 25 over 2 hours which is way better than before.

Also tested the indoor cycle calorie updates since I've recorded 20 cycle workouts so far and initially it looks like it is handing out more calories burned than before. Higher minute average than any other workout I've done before.

Glances seem to update way faster too. Not sure if that's the new firmware, or because it was a fresh restart of the Watch.

I have restarted the watch a couple of times over the past two weeks and didn't notice the app loading and glances speeding up.

The update seems to have made a difference though.

Fair enough. It may be semantics, but "spring" doesn't end until June 21, so they're not wrong if these things do start shipping in June as planned.

That aside however, I'm interested in hearing how the new update tunes performance on the Apple Watch. I haven't ordered mine yet due to traveling so much I probably wouldn't be home to receive it when it shipped. Would like to get one when they're in store next month, and I'm looking forward to WWDC to see what is in store for Watch OS.

So, does the update improve third party apps noticeably? At least performance wise? The apps themselves need a lot of work from the devs.

Everything seems a little quicker for me... going in and out of apps, accessing third party data from the iPhone, calling up Siri.

Could just be a new update placebo but seems better to me.

SURGEdude

Everything seems a little quicker for me... going in and out of apps, accessing third party, calling up Siri.

Could just be a new update placebo but seems better to me.

Siri went from mostly shit to totally awesome because they fixed the weird lag that caused you to have to time your request.

Also the wrist movement to activate the screen seems faster.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If UPS is to be believed my watch will be here in the next 20 minutes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
txqLhIT.jpg
🙌🏻⌚️

Voidance

Apple just shipped my black sports strap. Standard shipping.
I wish they'd ship my damn white sport band. I'm not using my Milanese loop at the gym. They charged my CC this morning, but it still says processing. I'm sure it'll change sometime soon. Delivery window is May 22 - June 1.

@Jtwo: Modern buckles actually shipped? Very nice.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Are modern buckle purchasers here primarily men or women? That is the only strap style that seemed "gendered" in any way. They actually did a good job of having a variety of options that didn't fall into a male female dichotomy.

Not saying all these are necessarily true, but some observations I've seen and seen online re: 1.0.1:

- OS generally faster more responsive
- wrist raise sensitivity is better, especially at odd angles
- 3rd party apps load quicker
- screen seems to stay on a little longer
- temperature complication no longer show dashes randomly
- glances load faster
- exercise/standing rings are more accurate.
- charging shows %:

attachment.php

btkadams

Siri actually works now. You can say hey Siri as soon as the watchface lights up and just continue saying your request naturally. I always struggled to get it to work before. Awesome!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are modern buckle purchasers here primarily men or women? That is the only strap style that seemed "gendered" in any way. They actually did a good job of having a variety of options that didn't fall into a male female dichotomy.

I'm a dude and its bad as hell. There is nothing gendered about it in my opinion. I feel like thats just the narrative people pinned to the fact that its only available in the 38mm size.

More pics:

Haven't really done anything with it yet.
Took a short walk up to get ice cream with it and made a phonecall and asked Siri some stuff. I was kinda socializing while it arrived so I haven't gotten to drill down into the settings yet. Pleased with the soundcloud app and its ability to control my Philips Hue lights. My girlfriend went home for the night so I'm gonna test out with a lot of texting tonight.

The quality of the manufacturing and materials is immediately evident. I went back on forth on whether or not I truly wanted to get a fancy model and I am so soooo glad that I did. I think it looks cool and classy.

Shearie

I'm a dude and its bad as hell. There is nothing gendered about it in my opinion. I feel like thats just the narrative people pinned to the fact that its only available in the 38mm size.

More pics:

Haven't really done anything with it yet.
Took a short walk up to get ice cream with it and made a phonecall and asked Siri some stuff. I was kinda socializing while it arrived so I haven't gotten to drill down into the settings yet. Pleased with the soundcloud app and its ability to control my Philips Hue lights. My girlfriend went home for the night so I'm gonna test out with a lot of texting tonight.

The quality of the manufacturing and materials is immediately evident. I went back on forth on whether or not I truly wanted to get a fancy model and I am so soooo glad that I did. I think it looks cool and classy.

Ooooooooooo, that looks nice.

I wish Apple deemed me worthy enough to ship me an Apple Watch that I ordered on April 10th...

Appleman

Took mine hiking all weekend. Awesome to see the exercise and move rings spin around 10x when I open the Activity app.

So nice to be able to just take it off and wash it in a stream too, would love a similarly waterproof iPhone

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought beer with my watch and it was sick as hell.

riotous

Banned
So I went to an Apple Store to ask what my options were for doing something about my dinged up watch.

The "genius" just told me they don't cover anything cosmetic. That's all he said... "So I have no options?" "Nope"

Ehhh... Why do they advertise $69 fixes:replacements for accidental damage with Apple Care +?

Do I need to stomp on the thing to qualify?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Cool thanks. I think the only 38mm and its prevelance in edition lender to that perception. Like o said I think they did a good job of creating a variety of styles with out succumbing to overt "men's/women's" models.

Glad to hear you like it.

Finally got my Milanese loop delivered for my 38mm stainless steel. It looks and feels amazing. And it just seems like the greatest version of a watch band ever.

It helps that my wife got it for me. Attaching bands back and forth works great.

mf.luder

So I went to an Apple Store to ask what my options were for doing something about my dinged up watch.

The "genius" just told me they don't cover anything cosmetic. That's all he said... "So I have no options?" "Nope"

Ehhh... Why do they advertise $69 fixes:replacements for accidental damage with Apple Care +?

There's always an option, just matters how much $.

To me, it sounds like he didn't know you had AC and thought you just wanted a free replacement. Did you tell him you have AppleCare? If so, what did he say then?

Just mess it up enough so that they'll have to replace it.

riotous

Banned
There's always an option, just matters how much $.

To me, it sounds like he didn't know you had AC and thought you just wanted a free replacement. Did you tell him you have AppleCare? If so, what did he say then?

I didn't want to talk to that guy any more and wasn't very pleased with how he talked to me so I left.

I assume if I talk to a competent person at Apple they'll explain my actual options to me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Organizing the app screen is weird. Relevance from center outwards I learned. Haven't set it up yet but putting it in this shape made me realize that. Core apps in center, fanning outwards according to utility.

japtor

Organizing the app screen is weird. Relevance from center outwards I learned. Haven't set it up yet but putting it in this shape made me realize that. Core apps in center, fanning outwards according to utility.
I've read some differing logic with it. Like someone had his primary stuff organized on the outside edges since he could just swipe to a direction to get to the app he wants on the edge instead of scanning for it in a mass of other icons. Saw some other one with the apps organized in bundles, and another in a sort of open honeycomb to give each icon more space around to get around accidental taps.

Then the ones just to look cool like organizing by color or into some big logo.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Only reason I said that is the OS deFaults to the center position when you enter the screen.

That screen is weird. I thought you could have individual app clusters. I was disappointed when I learned you couldn't. Don't know why I had that impression. Bummer.

Hobohodo

Dispatched last night and should arrive today. Pretty pleased considering I was given a June shipping date that became May 27th - June 9th!

I didn't want to talk to that guy any more and wasn't very pleased with how he talked to me so I left.

I assume if I talk to a competent person at Apple they'll explain my actual options to me.

You should go and talk to someone else and tell them you have Apple Care.

btkadams

I bought a couple of those monowear bands and they kept delaying all shipments every week. They were supposed to go out this week and now they're delaying to mid-June.

I hope these turn out ok. The continuous delays have me a bit concerned.

riotous

Banned
I bought a couple of those monowear bands and they kept delaying all shipments every week. They were supposed to go out this week and now they're delaying to mid-June.

I hope these turn out ok. The continuous delays have me a bit concerned.

Yeah me too. They printed my label a week and a half ago and then told me they were waiting for my second band, which they said would be ready last Friday or this Monday. Still nothing.

You'd think with the fact they got bad PR from selling some bands on Amazon before shipping to backers that they'd eat a few dollars shipping and send people their banda as they are ready and not wait for their entire order.

MilkyJoe

Ok last pic of today.
Out walking to grab a beer and it looks soo sick.

So you're taking pics of your watch, on your wrist, whilst you are engaged in a number of activities and then posting said pics on the net for people to look at?

LCfiner

So you're taking pics of your watch, on your wrist, whilst you are engaged in a number of activities and then posting said pics on the net for people to look at?

so? people have been taking pictures of new purchases and posting them online for-fucking-ever. why single out one poster for stuff nearly all of us do?

Guess Who

Banned
Man Jtwo, the modern buckle looks really nice. If my wrists were smaller I'd pick one up but the 42mm looks smaller on my wrist than the 38 looks on yours haha

zATdCwi.jpg

Top Bottom