• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

was supposed to happen with HomeKit, but nothing much going on with that yet.

The first HomeKit products are suppose to start shipping next month. HomeKit has been in the works since WWDC last year, it has just taken time to develop the protocols, and get third party companies to jump on board.

The first HomeKit products are suppose to start shipping next month. HomeKit has been in the works since WWDC last year, it has just taken time to develop the protocols, and get third party companies to jump on board.

right, but before that they were supposed to be available in the spring.

asdad123

I got my 38mm stainless steel with black sports band. I'm a pretty big guy (6'3", 260lbs) but I kind of like the smaller size. I'm coming from a moto 360 and its size was uncomfortable in the gym and I didn't want to worry about that with the apple watch so I went with the smaller one. Hopefully I don't regret it, but it has been very comfortable the last two days. I barely even feel it on my wrist unlike the moto 360.

Gotta start looking up things I could do with this. So far just did the basics.

My biggest criticisms on the survey were the restrictions on 3rd party apps and the bizarre use of the buttons. The side button seems totally useless. It should do more. The crown is useful but it is still unintuitive. I sort of have it figured out but sometimes going back to the watch face is one push, sometimes it is 2, sometimes it is 3.

Mark Gurman has some info on upcoming Watch software and hardware updates:

- Find My Watch: Track and Remotely wipe your Apple Watch.

- Smart Leashing: the Watch will use its wireless signal to establish its location relative to the iPhone, and will optionally be able to notify a user if the iPhone is accidentally left behind.

- the company is currently experimenting with a way for the heart rate sensor to notify a user about an irregular heart beat.

- Apple hopes to add a blood pressure monitor and sleep tracking features in the near future, with glucose/blood sugar sensors scheduled for the longer term.

- Apple is working on allowing third-party watch face “Complications,”

- Apple plans to market the current Apple Watch as a primary input device for the next-generation Apple TV

More at: http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/18/apple...t-apple-watch-updates-tvkit-sdk-for-apple-tv/

- Smart Leashing: the Watch will use its wireless signal to establish its location relative to the iPhone, and will optionally be able to notify a user if the iPhone is accidentally left behind.[/url]

That just sounds like a fancy way of saying it'll buzz your watch when it loses its bluetooth connection.

- Apple is working on allowing third-party watch face “Complications,”

This is the big one for me. Basically I want to be able to use my phone to quickly change the watch face so I can switch between various complications with minimal interaction with the Watch itself. That and being able to have smart complications, so things like once it's 5pm it starts showing me when my next train/bus home is due on the watch face.

btkadams

I hadn't even thought about 3rd party watchface complications. That sounds great! Although, I am struggling to think of good ones off the top of my head right now.

It would be nice to have an unread email count complication for the apple mail app actually, but that's not even 3rd party. Unread messages would be nice too.

Phreaker

I hadn't even thought about 3rd party watchface complications. That sounds great! Although, I am struggling to think of good ones off the top of my head right now.

It would be nice to have an unread email count complication for the apple mail app actually, but that's not even 3rd party. Unread messages would be nice too.

Steps would be a useful one for many, I am surprised it's not there.

Voidance

Are there any male owners of the 38mm that are not happy with their decision of the smaller size?
I have a 38mm SS watch and am content with my choice. I like my watches to have a lower profile and not catch my sleeves, and this fits the bill nicely.

Given my wrist size, 180mm, I could have gone with either size as well.

Hobohodo

I ordered mine (42mm black sport) at 19 mins past launch and received an email on Friday night that the watch has shipped and will be with me tomorrow.

Good thing I happened to have access to £339 as the shipping date they gave me a fortnight ago said 29th May-8th June!

Excitement building now.

Identical order to mine except mine was about 15 minutes later, currently got a shipping date of 27th May - 9th June.

Shearie

I ordered mine (42mm black sport) at 19 mins past launch and received an email on Friday night that the watch has shipped and will be with me tomorrow.

Good thing I happened to have access to £339 as the shipping date they gave me a fortnight ago said 29th May-8th June!

You just made me happy since that's my estimated delivery date too.

I've got to say that the fitness and activity apps have really motivated me to get off my ass and work out. I'm not sure if it's looking at the stats or the satisfying feeling of filling in the circles, but it's definitely working for me.

Sean

Banned
I've got to say that the fitness and activity apps have really motivated me to get off my ass and work out. I'm not sure if it's looking at the stats or the satisfying feeling of filling in the circles, but it's definitely working for me.

Yeah, I even took it a step further and added the Activity stats complication to my watch face (Modular). So every time I glance at the time I get a quick reminder of my progress that day.

It's motivated me a lot more than my previous fitness tracker (Jawbone Up24) which didn't have a screen and required me to launch their app.

right, but before that they were supposed to be available in the spring.

Actually, that really isn't true. The first products were shown off at CES in January, with most of the companies simply saying they would release later in the year. Considering there were rumors just last week that HomeKit was being back-burnered until the fall, it's good that things are finally starting to come at all.

japtor

Has anyone else already passed their shipment window without seeing a change in their order status?
I don't think so, but it's not like I've been tracking every thread out there...MacRumors is particularly useless since some people freak out that Apple hasn't delivered their watch on the first day of their stated 1-2 week window.

Meanwhile my white sport band went from last week of May to shipped today with 2nd day air. My Milanese and watch itself are still a while off though, last week of June and just July, respectively.

Animator

Those of you with the 38mm how are you finding it usability wise? I don't have sausage fingers but the screen looked like it might be too small for interaction yet I liked the look and feel of the 38 better than the 42.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Those of you with the 38mm how are you finding it usability wise? I don't have sausage fingers but the screen looked like it might be too small for interaction yet I liked the look and feel of the 38 better than the 42.

I'm in the same boat. My brother got the 38 SS and I think it looks nice, but the screen it a bit too small for my tastes. I ordered the 42 and am waiting. If it's too chunky I might switch if for 38.

So my leather loop band is preparing to ship, hard to get excited about it when my actual watch order is still an estimated month out from shipping

Ninja Dom

Anyone know where I can find an in-depth Apple Watch Edition unboxing video? I can't seem to find any.

I've been looking on Macrumors and Instagram for people showing off Editions and all you'll find are celebrities wearing them or people wearing them in Apple Stores and other Retail Outlets.

So that leads me to believe that the Editions haven't yet been shipped to any "regular folk" yet.

I got a slight update on my Space Grey Sport 42mm order - 5 to 7 weeks.

I've been looking on Macrumors and Instagram for people showing off Editions and all you'll find are celebrities wearing them or people wearing them in Apple Stores and other Retail Outlets.

So that leads me to believe that the Editions haven't yet been shipped to any "regular folk" yet.

I got a slight update on my Space Grey Sport 42mm order - 5 to 7 weeks.

That or the few regular folk who have it don't feel like showing it off

I could have sworn someone had posted a pic of their Apple Watch Edition on Mac rumors, so it's definitely out there

LCfiner

relevant public transportation schedule times could be one.

Apple Watch Status icons:

20150518AppleWatchStatusIcons.jpg

Phreaker

My sport with leather loops fell off when I got out of my vehicle, sucks. Couple decent dings in the aluminum.

Oh, that sucks! I have a leather loop on order for my Sport. I wonder if that's a common problem with the leather loops or just a freak accident.

Top Bottom