• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

MilkyJoe

so? people have been taking pictures of new purchases and posting them online for-fucking-ever. why single out one poster for stuff nearly all of us do?

"here's my new watch" - Sure

"heres my new watch whilst walking
"here's my new watch on the way to get beer
"here's my new watch waiting for a cab..

Don't you find that amusing? I'm not having a go at him, I'm just having a chuckle

The mechanism for changing bands is pretty incredible. Switching from sport to milanese to sport again is freaking easy. I guess I could wear the milanese while exercising, but don't want to increase the amount of time having to clean the steel from dirt and grime.

The new OS update is very nice. The screen stays up while the app loads. And the apps load faster.

nynt9

Got my leather loop to go with my space grey sport!

2VWzIiM.jpg

Started to notice my exercises weren't tracking properly. Switched wrists and now everything is working perfectly.
I was seriously hoping the tattoo thing was a myth, but fuck me.

I like my watch on my right hand 😔

nynt9

Ah sweet! I've got a Space Grey coming. How is the leather loop? Plus I think I'll have my face set up almost exactly like yours.

It's much more comfortable than the default sport band, but it shifts around a bit more and I think it's giving me a notification but it's just the band settling. I'll get used to it though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty chill day with my watch so far. I slept with it on last night. Used it to record my cycle commute to work, watched the temperature raise over the course of the morning and sent my girlfriend some emoji while I was working.

Bluetooth range is impressive. I've been keeping my phone upstairs in my backpack and haven't noticed it lose connection once. The art store I work at is pretty big and wifi on my phone was off. Genuinely surprised by that. Had been expecting to lose connection in the back parts of the building.

Wrist raise detection seems nearly perfect too.
Overall I'm really enjoying it. I kinda forgot I was wearing it for a while and looked down and wen "oh yeah!"

The taps do feel a little more like vibration than a true tap, but they're very nice and pleasant feeling.

Goddamn, I need a Leather Loop so bad. Where are you guys getting them from?!

preordered it mid April, just got it today.
The sports band is nice, but as it has pre-set holes I found that it either was too tight or too loose.
Nice thing about the leather loop is you can tighten it as much as you want. It's not quite as smooth a feel as the sport band though.

- wrist raise sensitivity is better, especially at odd angles

It's definitely more sensitive, but I'm not sure if it's better. It's so sensitive that it basically activates any time you turn your wrist a bit. For a lefty like me that also wears their watches on their left hand, it's now activating constantly as do things like eat and drink.

- screen seems to stay on a little longer

It's still frustrating that it turns off at all when your wrist is raised. If I'm looking at my Watch, it should stay on until I lower it. Apple is basically taking control from us and saying, "We think battery life is more important than whatever you're doing. We won't let you waste the battery." But if I want to waste battery life, that's my prerogative. Sometimes network operations take longer than the screen is active. Imagine if the MacBook turned off after a minute even if you're using it. Same deal here.

Shearie

It's definitely more sensitive, but I'm not sure if it's better. It's so sensitive that it basically activates any time you turn your wrist a bit. For a lefty like me that also wears their watches on their left hand, it's now activating constantly as do things like eat and drink.

I think it's better if it over activates a little than under activating a little.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh ok, so in my post from this afternoon I mentioned how the haptics felt more vibraty than tap-y.. its because I somehow turned prominent haptic feed back during the initial setup without noticing. With it turned off it legitimately feels like a tap. Thats awesome.

Also apparently its super annoying for others to receive punctuationless text messages I've just learned.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Holy shit, I got the notice my watch was shipped yesterday at about 8PM.

It's going to be here today at 3PM, if the UPS tracking is accurate.

Holy shit.

I felt that way at first about the watch. I felt I wasn't getting enough out of it. That's changed. I like the notifications and being able to keep the phone in the pocket while with company. I love the health tracking. And I like it as a piece of jewelry with the Milanese loop.

It's definitely not for everyone. I didn't think it was for me once I got it, but I love the thing now.

Owari

Does anyone know of a good faux leather band? I like the SB SS link bracelet, but I'd like to switch it up
Also not trying to put dead cow on my wrist

Owari

Returned my watch last night.

After spending 3 weeks with it, I just decided it wasn't for me and certainly not worth the $700 i parted with for it. As I was driving, I kept going back and forth on my decision. Creatively, I just can't see where something like this goes in the future and that was my biggest problem with it. As it stands today, I was only using it to monitor how many miles I ran and even that wasn't accurate. I had not once used it to take a call either. :(

I'll be eager to see what their next iteration looks like.

So you hadn't even used the watch to its fullest potential, but decided it doesn't do enough. Makes sense.

Nitsuj23

So you hadn't even used the watch to its fullest potential, but decided it doesn't do enough. Makes sense.

So not using it to make a call equals not using it to its full potential in your mind? I'd say that's a very small part of its overall usefulness, and a complete non-factor to some people. I have no interest in using the Watch for its phone capabilities. I like it for the limited amount of things it does. And I actually like having a watch, having not used one in years (aside from a brief stint with the Moto 360). I think that poster's opinion makes perfect sense. A device that does a fairly limited number of things for $700 does not appeal to some people. Seems like a fairly rational stance to take.

Kito

I find it strange how Apple lets you return a used watch for a full refund based on regret, rather than xyz problems. Does this also extend to iPhones? Whats happens to all these returned items? Resealed for purchase again as 'brand new', or sold later as refurb?

Owari

So not using it to make a call equals not using it to its full potential in your mind? I'd say that's a very small part of its overall usefulness, and a complete non-factor to some people. I have no interest in using the Watch for its phone capabilities. I like it for the limited amount of things it does. And I actually like having a watch, having not used one in years (aside from a brief stint with the Moto 360). I think that poster's opinion makes perfect sense. A device that does a fairly limited number of things for $700 does not appeal to some people. Seems like a fairly rational stance to take.
Well, it does more than a watch, and watches range from 1k-10k, so their logic is flawed.

I find it strange how Apple lets you return a used watch for a full refund based on regret, rather than xyz problems. Does this also extend to iPhones? Whats happens to all these returned items? Resealed for purchase again as 'brand new', or sold later as refurb?

Probably refurbs.

In the U.S. At least you get 14 days no questions asked to return any Apple product no questions asked. I'm like 99% sure that they end up going into the pool of refurbs.

I don't buy expensive products I cannot return.

riotous

Banned
The band or watch?

Just the band.

I understand supplying retail stores before you supply your web site; but that shouldn't affect pre-orders.

I have the same annoyance with Monowear who I backed on kickstarter.. they claim they "Accidentally" ended up with an amazon seller selling 100 of their bands, and they just had to fulfill that order before backers.

Finally got my link bracelet, and it's absolutely stunning. That said, I'm not really sure how to size it. Where I have it right now is perfect when I'm just sitting at my desk working, but any physical exertion makes it feel too tight and the heart rate sensor leaves a red, sweaty circle on my wrist. That said, if I add a single link, there's a solid two centimeter gap between my wrist and the bottom of the Watch, and it slides around far too much. Not super sure what to do :\

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Omg the animated emoji guy is fucking hilarious.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Ninja Dom

Have a look for the Leather Loop. It's supposed to be a real soft, premium leather and the strap does up nice & tight, like the Milanese Loop. £129 in the UK.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Have a look for the Leather Loop. It's supposed to be a real soft, premium leather and the strap does up nice & tight, like the Milanese Loop. £129 in the UK.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I figured out how to use the sport band. I'll keep it for now and wait on the Monowear for now.

Some pics of one of my monowear bands, Black Leather.
I've not really worn a watch before Apple Watch, so i can't compare it to other leather bands, or the apple Classic Buckle.

I like the band through, nice quality for the price.

17940725626_15cd00075d_z.jpg

17779312398_373676cb0f_z.jpg

17779560530_41ac7fda74_z.jpg

17779559390_34f3428892_z.jpg

I also got the brown leather

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that the cycling workout thing has a speedometer is pretty exciting! I didn't know what the light blue number was but I'm pretty sure it's your speed!

Top Bottom