• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

This is a stupid question, but does the apple watch track steps and distance by arm movement? Because I wear my watch on my left hand and also carry my messenger bag on my left shoulder, often just holding the strap with my left hand so only my right arm is moving when I walk

Rowena

Neo Member
Sorry if it's been asked before, but I was told by an apple employee that you can't change to the other bands on the Apple Watch Sport. Is this true?? I wanted to get a leather band when my watch comes in.

Ninja Dom

This is a stupid question, but does the apple watch track steps and distance by arm movement? Because I wear my watch on my left hand and also carry my messenger bag on my left shoulder, often just holding the strap with my left hand so only my right arm is moving when I walk

My guess is this. Just a guess as I'm still waiting for my Watch to arrive.

So the iPhone Health app currently judges the amount of steps and distance walked from using the M8 motion coprocessor found in the iPhone 6/6Plus and the M7 in the 5S. Now on my iPhone 6 I see steps, distance, speed and other metrics. I guess that the Watch also has some sort of motion processor (or understanding of location/position/speed) that is used in conjunction with the iPhone to gather the information.

Phreaker

Did the watch software update make anyone else's heart beat measurements go erratic? When not in workout mode I think it took my heart beat like every 10 min, now when I look at data points from today (and everyday since I updated my watch) I see hours and hours (7:37am to 10:26am) where it doesn't have a measurement in the Health App on my phone.

The fact that the cycling workout thing has a speedometer is pretty exciting! I didn't know what the light blue number was but I'm pretty sure it's your speed!
Yeah, it's your speed. I did an organized ride last Sunday and it was my first full 50+ mile ride using the Activity app (I normally only use runkeeper). It wound up being 54 miles and the battery did just fine. I think it got to about 50% in my three hour ride. I don't think I'll dare a century with the battery, though.

mitheor

Did the watch software update make anyone else's heart beat measurements go erratic? When not in workout mode I think it took my heart beat every like every 10 min, now when I look at data points from today (and everyday since I updated my watch) I see hours and hours (7:37am to 10:26am) where it doesn't have a measurement in the Health App on my phone.

Yes, it´s a known issue :(

Ninja Dom

Did the watch software update make anyone else's heart beat measurements go erratic? When not in workout mode I think it took my heart beat like every 10 min, now when I look at data points from today (and everyday since I updated my watch) I see hours and hours (7:37am to 10:26am) where it doesn't have a measurement in the Health App on my phone.

Yes, it´s a known issue :(

Okay, thanks. Glad it's not just me or my watch. They must have knows about this then, this had to come up in testing.

Just published on Macrumors

Macrumors said:
Following the release of Watch OS 1.0.1 on Tuesday, Apple Watch users have been noticing a problem concerning the frequency with which the Apple Watch sends heart rate data to the iPhone. Prior to the update, the Apple Watch sent heart rate information to the iPhone's Health app every 10 minutes, but now some users are seeing inconsistent update times.

Some of the first EDITION watches will be showing up for regular folk tomorrow. This Instagram user received his today: https://instagram.com/hongruli/

And this dude BOUGHT TWO EDITIONS
applewatcheditioncharge.jpg

riotous

Banned
MonoWear still haven't shipped my bands.

Last week they told me last Friday, or this Monday.. waited until this morning about 6 hours ago to e-mail them... haven't heard back.

They just sent out an update though.

Kickstarter is almost always frustrating.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering about the heartrate thing too.. It seems like it never takes it until I ask it to.

Owari

Sorry if it's been asked before, but I was told by an apple employee that you can't change to the other bands on the Apple Watch Sport. Is this true?? I wanted to get a leather band when my watch comes in.

Yeah, 99% of Apple Store employees are pretty clueless. Seems like they hire dumb people on purpose. A guy in my building works there and insists the Watch cannot be used at all without a phone. He argues with me when I tell him there's 2GB music storage. Lol.

Pretty sure they hire them dumb so they don't tell people to wait 2 weeks for the new product when a refresh approaches.

Majine

Banned
For those interested in seeing people getting their Edition Watches have a look at this thread on Macrumors.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1885135

I would repost the pics here but you can't link to their pics.

Lol nice, the box itself has a lightning port. That's kinda funny.

Also what I think is funny is that the 10K model still comes with the bottom tier sport band. Come on, man. At least give these people one of the leather bands.

Mask

Ah man, I've spent a few days looking at pictures of this thing on various sites and forums...

I kinda want one now. Definitely the Sports one though, can't justify an extra nearly 200 just for a shiny finish like the old iPods when I know it'll end up all scratched like they used to get.

Worth it?

ckohler

I love my space grey sport. If you like the idea of getting notifications on your wrist and owning a new gadget that looks slick and feels premium, I recommend it.

Ninja Dom

Lol nice, the box itself has a lightning port. That's kinda funny.

Also what I think is funny is that the 10K model still comes with the bottom tier sport band. Come on, man. At least give these people one of the leather bands.

It's an 18k Gold studded Sport Band.

Rowena

Neo Member
So I ordered a watch and my shipping dates are between June 30 - July 14. How accurate is apple on this? I'm going out of town July 17th for 3 weeks. Hoping to get it before I leave!

I ordered on May 22, not expecting it right away and in no rush. More so curious on how accurate apple is with the dates given.

So I ordered a watch and my shipping dates are between June 30 - July 14. How accurate is apple on this? I'm going out of town July 17th for 3 weeks. Hoping to get it before I leave!

I ordered on May 22, not expecting it right away and in no rush. More so curious on how accurate apple is with the dates given.

I would be surprised if you don't get it in June.

Moreche

I'm hoping my 42mm stainless steel comes June also but I still wish they had just done a 40mm model only.
I like the 38mm but he lack of leather loop and inclusion of the modern buckle still makes me certain that it's geared towards females.

Ninja Dom

I would be surprised if you don't get it in June.

I'm in the same boat. I've got the same delivery dates based on an order made on May 13.

Mulberry

I'm hoping my 42mm stainless steel comes June also but I still wish they had just done a 40mm model only.
I like the 38mm but he lack of leather loop and inclusion of the modern buckle still makes me certain that it's geared towards females.

They probably should have only made the 42mm. I sent my 38mm back, it was just too small.

I've noticed some sort of 'backdoor' for apps to sneak back on the watch that you don't want. Seems if the app is available for the watch as well, and you have the app removed from the watch, any time there's an update to the app, it sneaks back on the watch. At least that's what I think is happening as I have the apps prevented from automatically showing up.

Ninja Dom

Hmmm, should I buy a Mercedes C class or two watches which will be out of date in a year and can be replicated on the cheap version with gold spray paint. Hmmm.....

Well if you can afford to spend $32,000 would you actually care that they became out of date when the next ones came out? Would you just buy the next ones too?

Remember, don't second guess the spending behaviours of the rich when you yourself are not rich.

Well you might be rich but still a profound quote.

Sean

Banned
So does anyone have a nicely organized app layout setup? Thinking of organizing my home screen into clusters rather than just the default big blob of apps, but not sure what works best. Found a few cool ones on the net.

This one seems neat too (Apple apps on the right, third party on the left)

Looking for inspiration/ideas.

Hobohodo

Anyone use there apple watch as a remote for Apple TV? Mine hasn't been showing up on the Apple TV when I go to the remote settings.

ckohler

Anyone use there apple watch as a remote for Apple TV? Mine hasn't been showing up on the Apple TV when I go to the remote settings.

I had bonjour problems (devices seeing each other) until I turned off the 5ghz in my wireless router so that every device was using only 2.5ghz.

I've noticed some sort of 'backdoor' for apps to sneak back on the watch that you don't want. Seems if the app is available for the watch as well, and you have the app removed from the watch, any time there's an update to the app, it sneaks back on the watch. At least that's what I think is happening as I have the apps prevented from automatically showing up.

Yeah, it seems to be a bug with the app update process. It's not a 'backdoor'; the apps aren't installing themselves on the Watch. It's just buggy code in iOS.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Siri needs the done button.

mc9nkqj.jpg

* there was a ~15second pause of silence in between me sending a text and then commenting to my girlfriend.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure I tried that. Will report back.
If you can do that then why does the dedicated message screen have a done button.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm just futzing around so far, but I love it.

My watchface is the chronograph, I was confused as to why the orange hand wasn't moving... then I learned that the orange hand was the stopwatch hand and the second hand was one of the lower mini circles. Am I the only one who had this confusion?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok you can defiantly tap the screen to stop Siri. Guess I didn't know you could do that In iOS proper.

Still very happy with the version I got. Very very happy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok you can defiantly tap the screen to stop Siri. Guess I didn't know you could do that In iOS proper.

Still very happy with the version I got. Very very happy.

It should be able to send a text completely hands free though. What if you can't easily tap the screen because you're carrying stuff?

Shearie

It should be able to send a text completely hands free though. What if you can't easily tap the screen because you're carrying stuff?

It should stop by itself like it does on iOS devices but sometimes there is too much noise in the background and it keeps on listening. Happens to me sometimes when I use Siri on my iPhone.

And to be clear, I'm just talking about Siri initialization. Since there's no Siri voice on the watch to ask you a question, any action it wants you to do afterwards you have to read it and either press a button prompt or answer with voice using "Hey Siri" again.

Hobohodo

I had bonjour problems (devices seeing each other) until I turned off the 5ghz in my wireless router so that every device was using only 2.5ghz.

Thanks il give that a try, I know I need to do that to get the Wii U pad to display off TV properly so it seems likely.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah dude it sucks!
I mean for the most part it knows when you're done talking but I've definitely seen it pick up on ambient audio multiple times.

Hey Siri still needs a bit of work.

Wish there was a way to force keep the screen on when needed. Was running intervals at the track and the wrist raise is finicky; tough to use as a true stopwatch.

Top Bottom