• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Moreche

Does anyone else think that the launch of this is an absolute disaster?
I know what they're trying to achieve with the fashion and packaging aspect but it was never going to work.
Treat it like a gadget with one model size but sell the body and straps separately. Surely it would have made it so much easier.
I am finding the whole celebrities wearing it because Jony Ive give them it personally free a bit weird. It's like fuck the people that are paying for it but still waiting a month later off-putting.
Also the fact that the 42 is selling far more than the intended 38mm for female model means this is clearly being purchased by men and gadget lovers. it appears that female loving iPhone owners are not picking up on this.

Ninja Dom

Does anyone else think that the launch of this is an absolute disaster?
I know what they're trying to achieve with the fashion and packaging aspect but it was never going to work.
Treat it like a gadget with one model size but sell the body and straps separately. Surely it would have made it so much easier.
I am finding the whole celebrities wearing it because Jony Ive give them it personally free a bit weird. It's like fuck the people that are paying for it but still waiting a month later off-putting.
Also the fact that the 42 is selling far more than the intended 38mm for female model means this is clearly being purchased by men and gadget lovers. it appears that female loving iPhone owners are not picking up on this.

No I think this is far from being a disaster. In fact the opposite.

The actual Watch has a 4-7 week backlog. This indicates to me that they simply can't make enough to satisfy the demand. Of course it's the beginning of an entire new product for Apple so the manufacturing process is far from streamlined.

Don't forget one fundamental thing, you need to own an iPhone to use Apple Watch. It is an accessory for existing & new iPhone owners. And I'm gonna use an old but direct saying, "it is what it is". And what it is, is an accessory for iPhone users that is only currently sold online through the Apple website and a handful of retailers. Who did you think was initially gonna buy it?

As for the 38mm being for "females". That was never mentioned by Apple and is something that you have drawn your own conclusion with. The aim is for people to go to try-on/fitting sessions to see what size suits your wrist and needs best, regardless on if you're male or female.

mitheor

The actual Watch has a 4-7 week backlog. This indicates to me that they simply can't make enough to satisfy the demand. Of course it's the beginning of an entire new product for Apple so the manufacturing process is far from streamlined.

Don't forget one fundamental thing, you need to own an iPhone to use Apple Watch. It is an accessory for existing & new iPhone owners. And I'm gonna use an old but direct saying, "it is what it is". And what it is, is an accessory for iPhone users that is only currently sold online through the Apple website and a handful of retailers. Who did you think was initially gonna buy it?

As for the 38mm being for "females". That was never mentioned by Apple and is something that you have drawn your own conclusion with. The aim is for people to go to try-on/fitting sessions to see what size suits your wrist and needs best, regardless on if you're male or female.

Agree.

In fact, i´m using a 38mm AWS and loving it so far.

YpGibQS.jpg

I ordered and received my sport in 2-3 days. Certain models were delayed and set to come out later as confirmed by Apple from the start.

I think the product is selling well and I actually think it's well within what Apple was expecting.

Also, as a guy, the 38mm is perfect on my wrist. Just the right size.

I swear, I wish there were indicators for what is possible in the apps. The built-in weather app, for example, allows you to swipe sideways to see temperatures by the hour and then rain chances by the hour. Wouldn't know to swipe sideways but found this out by mistake.

38mm owner here, male, and quite satisfied with my purchase.

Ty4on

I swear, I wish there were indicators for what is possible in the apps. The built-in weather app, for example, allows you to swipe sideways to see temperatures by the hour and then rain chances by the hour. Wouldn't know to swipe sideways but found this out by mistake.

I find this way too common with modern apps and mobile OS'. I'm supposed to know about hidden menus when swiping, hold for more options, that these lines mean add to playlists etc.

I understand putting all of the stuff on the screen would clutter too much, but I wish they were more visible.

Appleman

38mm owner here, male, and quite satisfied with my purchase.

Isn't it just a tap on the weather rather than a swipe?

It is a tap, you can't 'really' swipe unless you have multiple weather cities. I guess I meant I wouldn't know to tap to see other things. I guess each app needs a thorough inspection to figure out the uses. Not much of this is very intuitive, but some indicator would be nice, even if it is very small. If a screen can be force pressed, maybe some colored dot in all apps would represent that. Same for taps.

The easiest way to launch apps for me is through the complications, so we need more support for complications. You want your schedule? Click on the date complication. You want the weather? Press on the temperature complication. Very fast to get to. I see Apple is considering opening up complications for 3rd party apps.

Owari

If anything, the 42mm looks ridiculously large on most people's wrist. Since the watch is jewelry, wouldn't it make sense to have the sleekest version of it? I know I wouldn't want to have an iPhone sized thing strapped to my wrist, how gaudy.

38mm, male, normal sized wrists. Watch looks sleek and understated. Nowhere did apple say the 38mm was for women and the 42mm for men. They're both unisex and probably depend more on what you're using it for. (I know a girl who got a 42mm because she wants to have an easier time using it at the gym.)

FmxJpFm.jpg

Besides, this whole "bigger is better" shit with technology is obnoxious as hell. Tech used to be more impressive when at a nano scale. Nowadays people want ridiculous looking 6 inch phones and giant smart watches and I don't get it. There's nothing impressive about a large computer. Miniaturization will always be where it's at.

If anything, the 42mm looks ridiculously large on most people's wrist. Since the watch is jewelry, wouldn't it make sense to have the sleekest version of it? I know I wouldn't want to have an iPhone sized thing strapped to my wrist, how gaudy.

You do realize some people like wearing big watches right? The 42mm isn't even considered big at all compared to other "big" Swiss made timepieces

Ninja Dom

Even though I've got small wrists for a fella, I've gone for the 42mm. Mainly cos of slightly longer battery and a larger screen to read from.

riotous

Banned
The 42mm doesn't look large on me; which I'm glad about. I like the slightly better battery/readability.

I wouldn't be against owning a smaller version though.

I do think they made a HUGE mistake making the only gold "colored" options be actual gold and priced 10k or up. My wife and many other females only wear gold or gold colored jewelry; it's been the main trend in female jewelry for ages now. Rose gold is trendy as well.

SURGEdude

I expect the numbers will even out a bit between the sizes once the super early adopter phase ends. I think it's highly likely and almost certain that men are more likely to be early buyers of tech like this.

Moreche

Apologies for any offence that might have been caused about my comment on the 38mm being for females.
I'm just back from my try on and found the 42 perfect so my preorder for a 42 SS remains.
I know apple haven't stated the 38 is for females but when I saw the pink and style of the modern buckle against the leather loop it makes it hard for me to see why it's not.
Really looking forward to receiving my watch although the 4 week wait is torturous.

subrock

I used my watch to track some mountain biking yesterday and it completely failed. The screen was stuck on for almost the whole ride, my heart rate was completely inaccurate if present at all. I wondered if it was due to sweat or something. It was tight on my wrist and I dried off the heart sensor a few times. Pretty disappointing actually.

Ninja Dom

I'm 5 to 7 weeks for my Watch. And I am consuming as much information as I can. I post regularly here, I check Macrumors forums and I'm looking on Instagram & Google Images. I'm excited!! I wish I pre-ordered in April.

You know that excitement feeling you get in your stomach? When I was a kid I used to ask if older people fell this or just kids about new toys. I got that same feeling still even though I'm a grown man.

Moreche

I'm 5 to 7 weeks for my Watch. And I am consuming as much information as I can. I post regularly here, I check Macrumors forums and I'm looking on Instagram & Google Images. I'm excited!! I wish I pre-ordered in April.

You know that excitement feeling you get in your stomach? When I was a kid I used to ask if older people fell this or just kids about new toys. I got that same feeling still even though I'm a grown man.
Same for me, at my try-on today, I really think apple have nailed it on the look and feel of the watch. Also the magnetic leather loop is wonderful.
But my only issue with the watch is I think it'll be passed over by the next model although it'll be great to see were they go with this.

Appleman

38mm, male, normal sized wrists. Watch looks sleek and understated. Nowhere did apple say the 38mm was for women and the 42mm for men. They're both unisex and probably depend more on what you're using it for. (I know a girl who got a 42mm because she wants to have an easier time using it at the gym.)

FmxJpFm.jpg

Besides, this whole "bigger is better" shit with technology is obnoxious as hell. Tech used to be more impressive when at a nano scale. Nowadays people want ridiculous looking 6 inch phones and giant smart watches and I don't get it. There's nothing impressive about a large computer. Miniaturization will always be where it's at.

Yep, I bought both sizes and tried them each for two weeks before settling on the 38mm and returning the 42mm one. It wasn't TOO big on my wrist, but the smaller one feels much sleeker and less obnoxious.

Really wish there was a brown classic buckle but I'll take a look at the modern buckle and probably buy a black Classic in the meantime

I went to try to this on yesterday at the Apple Store and I have to say I was impressed with the functionality. Despite having small wrists, I did find the 42mm quite appealing. The only negative I can state about the actual device is the price. It's an interesting accessory to have but the price point kills it.

£150-200 would have been a purchase for me, but of course Apple want to make crazy profit margins on their items. Fair enough. Just not for me.

Ninja Dom

I'm totally aware of upgrades, new models, new generations. My eyes are wide open. But I'm gonna treat this like other Apple lines. I'm still running an iMac 27" 2009 fully spec'd and an iPad 4th Gen, and that's fine. New Macs release every 6 months and a new iPad every year. And that's okay.

I'll just use what I have while I can. And the Watch for me (as I type) is something I've bought into early, and just carry on using regardless of newer, updated models.

Appleman

I'm totally aware of upgrades, new models, new generations. My eyes are wide open. But I'm gonna treat this like other Apple lines. I'm still running an iMac 27" 2009 fully spec'd and an iPad 4th Gen, and that's fine. New Macs release every 6 months and a new iPad every year. And that's okay.

I'll just use what I have while I can. And the Watch for me (as I type) is something I've bought into early, and just carry on using regardless of newer, updated models.

Yep, I upgrade my iPhone yearly but am still on a 3rd Gen iPad... Barring some absolutely killer feature I'll probably wait on a watch update. New bands might keep it feeling fresh too

Appleman

You sell your iPhone every year? How much of a loss do you take?

Used to make a profit actually by exploiting my carrier's early upgrade policies, but they've locked that down since then. This iPhone 6 is the first one I've had to buy outright so we'll see how I feel when the 6S rolls around

Blackhead

Redarse
Used to make a profit actually by exploiting my carrier's early upgrade policies, but they've locked that down since then. This iPhone 6 is the first one I've had to buy outright so we'll see how I feel when the 6S rolls around

How so? Haven't all the carriers formalized some form of an early upgrade program (e.g. AT&T Next)?

iMax

You sell your iPhone every year? How much of a loss do you take?

I buy a full-price iPhone and sell my old one every year. Plus my service plan (which is much cheaper as there's no hardware subsidy needed), the whole process costs me net around £150-200 annually. Not bad.

Appleman

How so? Haven't all the carriers formalized some form of an early upgrade program (e.g. AT&T Next)?

My carrier (Rogers, in Canada) used to offer upgrades to the new iPhone every year if you bought the previous one at launch, just had to push reset on the three year contract.

Now I'll probably just take the few hundred hit every year

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So far the only third party app that is reliable for me is Pcalc.

Soundcloud is useless because when you open the app it skips to the next track! So if you like the song that is playing and enter the app it skips to the next one before you can heart it!

Overcast crashes quite frequently. When I go to the all podcasts screen and try to select one to play it usually will revert back to the podcast directory without starting any audio.

The philips hue app works reliably as well, now that I'm thinking about it.

Truth be told those are about the only apps I have installed.

Took my watch for a jog today for the first time. It was a lot of fun looking down and seeing distance ran, etc. I did have my phone with me, I'm curious to test the accuracy of the watch itself without the phone's GPS. I run exactly the same route everytime so it should be very easy to test.

Realy enjoying the modern buckle. I think its actually the first leather clothing item I've ever had. Its been loosening up a bit, it was quit stiff when I first got it but it its a bit softer now. I've been constantly switching back and forth between two holes in the clasp. The tighter one is best for haptic feedback and the heartrate sensor but occasionally can feel too tight. It is my hope that after a few months the band will stretch out a bit and I can wear it on the tighter hole comfortably at all times.

Battery life is fine for the most part. I'm usually in the high teens when I take it off before bed at night.

btkadams

I used my watch to track some mountain biking yesterday and it completely failed. The screen was stuck on for almost the whole ride, my heart rate was completely inaccurate if present at all. I wondered if it was due to sweat or something. It was tight on my wrist and I dried off the heart sensor a few times. Pretty disappointing actually.
Weird! I have little experience with the Watch's hearth rate stuff but I did a workout today on a stationary bike and the heart rate was identical to the one built into the machine. Did you maybe have it too low on your arm, like over the wrist bone? I recall mine being positioned maybe a little bit higher up my arm than I normally have it on during the day.

subrock

Weird! I have little experience with the Watch's hearth rate stuff but I did a workout today on a stationary bike and the heart rate was identical to the one built into the machine. Did you maybe have it too low on your arm, like over the wrist bone? I recall mine being positioned maybe a little bit higher up my arm than I normally have it on during the day.
Something was definitely cocked up. I couldn't get the screen to turn off no matter how much I turned my wrist or covered the face. It was pretty low on my arm, but I've done other exercises with it in the same position and it was fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
My carrier (Rogers, in Canada) used to offer upgrades to the new iPhone every year if you bought the previous one at launch, just had to push reset on the three year contract.

Now I'll probably just take the few hundred hit every year

Oh Canada lol, I should have known. So you're still in the last three year contract or transitioned to a new 2 year now? If you're still in an old 3 year style contract, the CRTC rule will actually allow you to dump the contract soon with no penalty. Moreover, if you don't mind switching providers, Telus offers an early upgrade program for 2 year contracts, which is just about as bad/good as the US equivalents. The only problem is Apple keeps raising iPhone CAD prices haha

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Was the one built into the machine using hand grips, or were you wearing a chest monitor? I think hand grips aren't supposed to be that reliable?

Not sure how relevant it is anyway - unless you're doing particular cardio that wants to stay in a heartrate zone, heartrate monitoring seems not super useful.

Fliesen

(... why did imgur rotate my photo?)

been using my 38mm black sport for a week now and i absolutely love it.

a few observations:

I use my phone a lot less now. Simply because only 50% of the messages i receive on Facebook / iMessage actually require an answer. And those that do often require a longer one and i'll just type it on the MacBook then.

using it as an AppleTV remote control or for remote controlling podcast playback / volume for my docked iPhone is ridiculously practical.

Wunderlist as a grocery shopping list is just ever so much more comfortable to use on your wrist than on your huge ass phone. You don't have to "put back" your watch to have your 2 hands free to push the shopping cart.

To my amazement, i have made multiple phone-calls with my AppleWatch already. One while i looked up something for a friend on my Laptop, effectively using it as a hands free while being able to type properly with both hands.
One, while driving. holding the crown, "Call Maria", is just ever so slightly more comfortable than doing the same thing with my aftermarket bluetooth hands-free. The audio quality during calls is great.

They NEED to implement some sort of quick toggle for the wrist detection, though. It's really embarassing in the movie theatre if your watch constantly lights up.
Settings -> General -> Activate on wrist raise.

Battery life is great. I went to bed at 11pm yesterday and still had 45% battery life.
Also, i never feel like it's losing connection to my phone. I often forget that it's tetheredt to my iPhone over Bluetooth / WiFi when i'm at home. It feels like a standalone device.

Sadly, i'm currently still recovering from a cold, so i can't give the NikeRunning app and spotify music controls a try, but i'm really looking forward to seeing my current pace at a glance.

oh, also being able to see the time without having to look at your phone is a decent feature :p
missed that ever since my Fuelband broke :/

They NEED to implement some sort of quick toggle for the wrist detection, though. It's really embarassing in the movie theatre if your watch constantly lights up.
Settings -> General -> Activate on wrist raise.

Currently watch-less but I remember reading Do Not Disturb stops the wrist detection.
Is this not the case? Would be a little ridiculous if not...

Fliesen

Currently watch-less but I remember reading Do Not Disturb stops the wrist detection.
Is this not the case? Would be a little ridiculous if not...

you just gave me hope...
put the watch in DND (see the crescent moon indicator on top).

http://youtu.be/8ihKcqYoUTE

alas, it still activates by wrist.

there's 3 toggles:

Airplane mode (deactivates all radios)
DND (deactivates all notifications)
silent (deactivates notification sounds)

Phreaker

If anything, the 42mm looks ridiculously large on most people's wrist.

I disagree. It was much smaller than I had imagined. Many people that have noticed my watch have asked something like, "Oh, is that the smaller of the two?". I assume they had the same impression as me, saw pics and thought it was large and then saw it on someone with average sized wrists and it looked great.

I have to say though, this software update is shit.

you just gave me hope...
put the watch in DND (see the crescent moon indicator on top).

http://youtu.be/8ihKcqYoUTE

alas, it still activates by wrist.

there's 3 toggles:

Airplane mode (deactivates all radios)
DND (deactivates all notifications)
silent (deactivates notification sounds)

Ahh sorry man, guess what I read was wishful thinking...?
That's unreal though, a definite oversight and knowing Apple it'll probably remain one for a while.

Simple solution is just to turn your watch off if you're embarrassed in the theater. If you need to check the time, you can do what you used to do: check your phone.

Just checked, power reserve mode may be a better workaround until they come up with a screen off toggle. You can get the time, but wrist detection is completely turned off.

Simple solution is just to turn your watch off if you're embarrassed in the theater. If you need to check the time, you can do what you used to do: check your phone.

Just checked, power reserve mode may be a better workaround until they come up with a screen off toggle. You can get the time, but wrist detection is completely turned off.

The idea of checking the time on your phone with a watch on your wrist is pretty funny

Top Bottom