• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Fliesen

Simple solution is just to turn your watch off if you're embarrassed in the theater. If you need to check the time, you can do what you used to do: check your phone.

Just checked, power reserve mode may be a better workaround until they come up with a screen off toggle. You can get the time, but wrist detection is completely turned off.

i don't mind getting notifications and manually checking the screen for the time (covering it with my hand as to not impede others' moviegoing experience. The randomly activating while grabbing popcorn or my coke is the annoying part.

power reserve is a decent enough workaround though. thanks.

riotous

Banned
The last email I get from MonoWear about the space grey adapter was not good.

They claim the coating currently wears off after a few times clicking in and out of the watch.

Somehow they magically are going to fix this by June 1st. I'm not expecting to ever get product from them at this point. Really just want my $140 back.

Sorry for the delay.
we were having some issues with the matte dark gray adapters where the PVD coating was coming off only after a few slides in and out the Apple Watch housing, trying to fix that issue right now. Hope to have improved components in by end of next week. Shipping again June 1, fingers crossed.
Thanks for your patience.

They mistake me for someone that didn't lose all patience with them once I found out they'd sold product on Amazon.com before supplying kickstarter backers.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Watch size is a weird matrix of personal taste and utility and what you think looks good.

My wrist size is in a weird position where the 38mm looks too small (in my eyes), and the 42 is right on the *edge* of "too big."

I went with the latter, only because I knew that if I went 38 I'd kinda be kicking myself later on for not getting the bigger screen/battery model for something that I'm essentially buying as a second-screen for my iPhone.

i don't mind getting notifications and manually checking the screen for the time (covering it with my hand as to not impede others' moviegoing experience. The randomly activating while grabbing popcorn or my coke is the annoying part.

power reserve is a decent enough workaround though. thanks.

Not the best workaround. I'd like to get the haptic feedback but have the screen off unless you press the crown or the side button. For the record, my screen was pretty dim in the theater, so it wasn't that obnoxious when I left my watch on silent mode. It wasn't a blinding torch at all

Had a weird occurrence. I put the watch in power reserve and when I tried to power it on, it was completely unresponsive. The watch seemed dead. I was ready to see if I could trade out for a new watch at the Apple Store nearby and it came on about 20 minutes later. I may have a dud, or it is user error on how to change from power reserve back to on. Taking that long to revive makes me think I have a dud or found a unique bug.

kaskade

My gf bought me the white sport band for my space grey and I'm liking it. Nice contrast, especially for the summer. I might get a blue or green one next for a more fun looking one.

SuperPac

Had a weird occurrence. I put the watch in power reserve and when I tried to power it on, it was completely unresponsive. The watch seemed dead. I was ready to see if I could trade out for a new watch at the Apple Store nearby and it came on about 20 minutes later. I may have a dud, or it is user error on how to change from power reserve back to on. Taking that long to revive makes me think I have a dud or found a unique bug.

I haven't used Power Reserve mode but I'd heard that once you put it in that mode (and I think you have to tap the screen to see the time - wrist-raise no longer works) the way to get out of it is by rebooting completely. It's a one-way thing - you can't swap in and out of it without powering off. Or maybe there's something else to it like sticking it on the charger - but it's not something worth using unless you're really at less than 10% battery.

I haven't used Power Reserve mode but I'd heard that once you put it in that mode (and I think you have to tap the screen to see the time - wrist-raise no longer works) the way to get out of it is by rebooting completely. It's a one-way thing - you can't swap in and out of it without powering off. Or maybe there's something else to it like sticking it on the charger - but it's not something worth using unless you're really at less than 10% battery.

Yeah, I was on the road and the first thing I'd try is put it on the charger. I guess power reserve is about the least place you want to be.

Ordered Apple Watch SS BSB 42mm on April 30th and got bumped from June 22-27 (ship in 5-7 weeks)

To

Processing Items Available to ship: 2-3 weeks
Delivers: 16 Jun, 2015 - 22 Jun, 2015 by Standard Shipping

OMG, it's getting closer!

Apple’s Senior Vice President of Operations Jeff Williams is being interviewed this morning at the Code Conference. He mentions, as expected, the Native SDK will be released later this year (Preview at WWDC). Native SDK will give direct access to the Watch's sensors, Digital Crown, games that run independently.

Williams on Watch sales: "We sold a lot, but not enough. I can’t give you the number."

Apple’s Senior Vice President of Operations Jeff Williams is being interviewed this morning at the Code Conference. He mentions, as expected, the Native SDK will be released later this year (Preview at WWDC). Native SDK will give direct access to the Watch's sensors, Digital Crown, games that run independently.

Williams on Watch sales: "We sold a lot, but not enough. I can’t give you the number."

Excited for native apps, zero interest in any game on a watch though

They need to drop this year's Sports Model into a cheaper price point next year. I think $350 is too expensive for a lot of people. There are plenty who are curious about the product but not many who are willing to pay $350.

I think they know that though and I think they've known that from the start.

They need to drop this year's Sports Model into a cheaper price point next year. I think $350 is too expensive for a lot of people. There are plenty who are curious about the product but not many who are willing to pay $350.

They have enough offerings such that they could lose money on the Sport and build the platform. I doubt they would accept losing money, but getting close to zero is worth it, I think. You have to have a phone to buy the thing, there is still a bit of unease from the market about wearing a watch (at least I hear that from friends), and the main thing is it is overpriced.

LCfiner

I'm amazed he was OKay'd to say that.

edit: I can't find that quote anywhere. perhaps it was in reference to their ability to build them?

Juice

edit: I can't find that quote anywhere. perhaps it was in reference to their ability to build them?

I would be SHOCKED if that's an accurate direct quote about sales. Jeff Williams is not some kind of Apple corporate neophyte. He knows the drill.

Blackhead

Redarse

I would be SHOCKED if that's an accurate direct quote about sales. Jeff Williams is not some kind of Apple corporate neophyte. He knows the drill.

'Quote' is from the 9to5Mac liveblog of the Code interview:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/27/live-...s-jeff-williams-interview-at-code-conference/
Walt: How’s the Apple Watch doing? Jeff: It’s doing great, better than I expected. I didn’t think it would happen this quick. Williams explaining that it allows people to be more present. Williams says a dentist no longer has anxiety to pull out his phone. We’re having a blast.

– Williams: We sold a lot, but not enough. I can’t give you the number.

– Walt: Why wasn’t it a traditional release with sales numbers? Williams: We decided out of the gate not to release Apple Watch numbers. We spend too much time releasing numbers as is. “If it reaches the materiality levels, maybe we’ll change that.”

If he actually said that I'd have to believe that, like you said, he meant that supply is unable to catch up to the demand.

Edit:

This is from MacRumors

According to Williams, who declined to give specific sales figures on Apple's wearable, the Apple Watch is doing "fantastic." When asked by what metric, he went on to say that customers "love the Apple Watch" even more than he expected. The Apple Watch, he said, is "gathering momentum" even in a market where other products aren't doing as well, because many millennials don't wear watches.

When pressed for details on Apple Watch sales numbers, Williams said that Apple would "rather spend time making great products" than focusing on the numbers, but he did say Apple had sold "a lot" of them.

Mulberry

Stupid question. I just got my 42mm SS WSB and it came with the m/l band on it. For the life of me I can't find the other part of the band in the box. Am I missing something.

They still can't fulfil orders in under a month due to short supply and yet wish they had sold more?
They really don't give a shit about how long people wait for orders, do they?

I still haven't even ordered because I was waiting for delivery times to drop, losing interest now though honestly.

They still can't fulfil orders in under a month due to short supply and yet wish they had sold more?
They really don't give a shit about how long people wait for orders, do they?

I still haven't even ordered because I was waiting for delivery times to drop, losing interest now though honestly.

Depends on what model you want. I got my order in a couple of days.

Voidance

I bought a white sport band to replace my Milanese loop when working out or dressing down. After wearing it for a few days, it's so comfortable that I'm having a hard time going back to the loop.

I bought a white sport band to replace my Milanese loop when working out or dressing down. After wearing it for a few days, it's so comfortable that I'm having a hard time going back to the loop.

Yeah, i bought my watch with a black sport band. I also ordered a blue leather loop and some monowear leather bands, but the sport band is so gosh darn nice to wear i've rarely worn the others.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've had the watch for 8 days now.
More than not I'm extremely satisfied. But I have many many observations about the intricacies of the software.

I'm curious about the excercise ring and heartrate sensor. I heard that in 1.01 (which hit the day I received my device) the heartrate polling is completely broken. So far that is my biggest complaint/concern. It feels like the 30 minutes of elevated heartrate just don't register unless I actually go for a jog and put it in workout mode.

I got a LOT of cardio yesterday and the green ring didn't close.

I've also been having a bit of trouble adjusting to the haptic feedback. Sometimes I miss it, and sometimes I think I feel it when it doesn't happen. I've been notification and soundless on my phone for a few years so instant notifications are a bit foreign to me. But sometimes I'll look at my watch and see a text from 5 minutes ago and wonder why I didn't see it, and other times I'll think for sure I felt a tap but theres nothing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

1st gen - expensive, suck up early adopters while production lines and supply chain are ironed out
2nd gen - spec improvement and price drop to create perceived value and bring in more mass market, production ramped up. Still making insane margins
3rd gen onwards - maintain price and increment specs

I wear the loop as sort of jewelry. I wear the sports band around the house and for riding the bike.

Being able to switch bands so easily is great.

I keep seeing references to it, but I don't believe the Apple Watch connects to the same wi-fi as your phone. It's just bluetooth. I get out of bluetooth range and the watch shows a disconnected icon. The wi-fi in my place is definitely strong enough.

Talon

I keep seeing references to it, but I don't believe the Apple Watch connects to the same wi-fi as your phone. It's just bluetooth. I get out of bluetooth range and the watch shows a disconnected icon. The wi-fi in my place is definitely strong enough.

Don't know what the deal with yours is. Mine hops on the wifi when I'm too far away for bluetooth.

e.g. Going to the basement at work for a meeting when my phone's on my desk on the top floor.

gatti-man

It's a simple matter of reality. Iwatch isn't a dress watch and it never will be so you can't charge that kind of money for mass adoption. For me smart watches are work watches and work stuff gets worn and damaged. I'm not throwing away 300-400 per year since the watches won't have good resale since they will be worn. It's just silly plus competitors are offering 80% of what the iwatch does for half the price or less.

Don't know what the deal with yours is. Mine hops on the wifi when I'm too far away for bluetooth.

e.g. Going to the basement at work for a meeting when my phone's on my desk on the top floor.

Maybe it has something to do with the encryption I'm using. WPA2-AES and an ASUS router.

** edited. Ah, it's because my phone was connected to the 5Ghz portion of my wifi. Apple says the watch will not connect to a 5Ghz network. Going to connect to the lower wifi and see what happens.

That did the trick.

Future

Well I just bought it. Delivery estimate was June 11-18 so thought why not. I'll cancel it if it gets pushed or I can just walk into a store and get it sooner

japtor

It's a simple matter of reality. Iwatch isn't a dress watch and it never will be so you can't charge that kind of money for mass adoption. For me smart watches are work watches and work stuff gets worn and damaged. I'm not throwing away 300-400 per year since the watches won't have good resale since they will be worn. It's just silly plus competitors are offering 80% of what the iwatch does for half the price or less.
That's your reality, time will tell how it fits in for everyone else. It'll be my dress watch by default...I have a Rolex but I'm kinda eh on it, and the other mechanical watches I like the look of tend to cost quite a bit more than I'd ever spend. There's cheaper "good enough" looking ones, but that's basically the same space as the Apple Watch for me, so I might as wear the latter.

If people like how it looks enough (and/or they're nerdy enough to like the new toy aspect) the value proposition gets thrown out the window anyway, there's a balance of wants vs logical needs for the money. At this point they're selling every one they can make so it's fine, and I'd guess they'll lower the low end $50-100 in later generations...but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it stayed the same, perhaps while keeping older styles around for lower price points.

As for competitors, the thing you're missing is that the last 20% can be disproportionately valuable. Like the entire reason Apple has been as successful as it's been is getting that last x% right while few others even bother to try, and being able to charge out the ass for it cause of that.

iMax

Can't even get the name right.

btkadams

What competitors? Isn't Pebble the only actual Apple Watch competitor on iOS?

Top Bottom