• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

riotous

Banned
I agree, competition is best for consumers, just unfortunate iOS users couldn't have a true android wear experience

It's one of things that irks me about iOS in general; if Apple doesn't have a comprehensive "Internet of Things" solution and / or open up more underlying API's / what can run in the background I will some day switch to Android.

taoofjord

My sport watch was moved up a week as well. Here's hoping it comes even sooner. That said, I'm starting to regret the black/space grey. I think the space grey won't look as good with the colored bands and I definitely want to get at least one other color.

japtor

My sport watch was moved up a week as well. Here's hoping it comes even sooner. That said, I'm starting to regret the black/space grey. I think the space grey won't look as good with the colored bands and I definitely want to get at least one other color.
There's some random combos here (throughout the thread it looks like):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1873933

Looks fine to me but just depends on your tastes. The main issue isn't the colors themselves (they're a color contrast with every watch) but the little metal accent pieces, they're silver on pretty much everything but the black sport band. On the ones with lugs they're right on the watch and look weird, but on others like the sport bands and leather loops it's a pretty minor thing (...but I'd still like a black pin for the white sport band for mine).

taoofjord

There's some random combos here (throughout the thread it looks like):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1873933

Looks fine to me but just depends on your tastes. The main issue isn't the colors themselves (they're a color contrast with every watch) but the little metal accent pieces, they're silver on pretty much everything but the black sport band. On the ones with lugs they're right on the watch and look weird, but on others like the sport bands and leather loops it's a pretty minor thing (...but I'd still like a black pin for the white sport band for mine).

Hmmm... thanks. The blue and red both look pretty good with the space grey. Same with the blue leather loop.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really feeling how exquisitely dope my watch looks.

Its crazy. The modern buckel looks flawless.

Rowena

Neo Member
When Apple charges your credit card, do they send a email or do I need to just keep an eye on my statement? I should be having my credit card charged for my watch soon. I'm just curious about the notification when they do so. Thank you

When Apple charges your credit card, do they send a email or do I need to just keep an eye on my statement? I should be having my credit card charged for my watch soon. I'm just curious about the notification when they do so. Thank you

You won't get an email until it ships.

Shearie

My Apple Watch finally shipped this morning. Did I remember correctly that a lot of people here said they received theirs the next day after shipping?

Sean

Banned
It's been very good... until I dropped my iPhone 6 a month ago and shattered the glass. I'd rather just pay the $79 and be covered than pay ~$500 if something happens to it.

A watch is almost always strapped to your wrist, what's the worst that can possibly happen? I only buy AppleCare on my Macs where it often costs hundreds of dollars to repair.

I shattered my iPhone 6 display a few months ago and was charged $109 and had it fixed within an hour. My understanding is that the exact same repair would've cost $179 if I had insurance ($99 for AppleCare+ and a $79 service fee) so it'd end up costing more. I don't think insurance is worth it in most cases.

My Apple Watch finally shipped this morning. Did I remember correctly that a lot of people here said they received theirs the next day after shipping?

Depends on where it ships from. My first watch at launch arrived the next day when it shipped from PA, but I've just had one shipped from China that says 3 days.

Ninja Dom

Interesting, a dude from London on Macrumors just received his Edition. He's got a collection of other expensive watches but claims that the Edition is gonna be his prime, number one watch.

cygnusx from Macrumors forums said:
I own a few high quality mechanical watches including Rolex, Cartier, Patek, etc along with some great sport watches from Suunto and Timex. I decided to switch to the Edition and rotate it with the AW SB SS LB. I plan to consign the rest of my collection to the back of my drawer!

I believe the future is in watches that do more than just tell the time, and are a more functional part of my life. Hopefully, the established watch brands I admire will provide some competition in this sector, so I have more choice in the future.

I see some discussion about mechanical watches valued for being passed on to the next generations. I am not sure if my kids (teenagers now) and grand kids will ascribe the same value to the mechanical watch (as I did growing up) as anything more than an antique to admire in a glass case!

Shearie

Depends on where it ships from. My first watch at launch arrived the next day when it shipped from PA, but I've just had one shipped from China that says 3 days.

Mine shipped from PA but I live in AZ. Hopefully it can get here in a day.

Dez

I got my 38 mm link bracelet today.. Soooo nice. I didn't want to spend that much when I preordered the watch so I got the black sports band.. Good decision as you kinda need both if you want to use it to track workouts.

Moreche

I received my blue leather loop yesterday and my watch should arrive Monday but I've noticed that the leather loop can be pulled apart easily.
Is it more secure when attached to the watch and worn around the wrist?
It feels as if it caught on something the watch would come off the wrist easily.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Loving my Apple Watch with link bracelet, had one since launch. But man, I think this product is bombing. From me and my wife aside, the only one with an Apple Watch I know is a guy making games for it. I have not seen a single Apple Watch in the wild in a month in London. It'd be easy to put it down to supply constraints, if it wasn't for the lack of enthusiasm from all the people seeing mine, quite markedly different than when I got my first iPad. The only person who has expressed any interest to get one in the last month is my turkish barber.

Let's hope native apps turn it around, and that Apple sticks to it. I'd hate to see it go the way of Apple TV, demoted to a 'hobby'. Hopefully this is just the beginning and Apple has some excitement in the pipeline.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I work at an Art Store in a pretty yuppy county and have maybe one person a day ask me about it. I think the interest is definitely there.

Mostly just curiousity, how's the battery life, do I like it, etc. using it for apple pay seems to catch people's attention too.

I thinking bombing is a little strong, I do see other people with them. I see lots of pebbles and moto360s too. I think it's much different than an iPad or an iPhone. It's not for everyone in the way than an iOS device is.

There is basically no way in hell this gets demoted to a hobby. There a lot of work to be done, sure, but I think it's been as successful a launch as you could expect. The supply constraints were/are annoying as hell but the thing itself is awesome and there's little negativity about it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The main problem, I think, is that the benefits of having an Apple Watch are just really hard to explain briefly. iPad was great for browsing the web, emails, films and games in home and when travelling. Apple Watch is much more nuanced.

It's awesome to have one to get notifications instantly, but you need to experience it first hand to appreciate it. Walking navigation is a real revelation, but when explained it doesn't sound that unique. Shopping lists are awesome, but few will get the product for lists. Fitness is kind of neat, but not really as good as many fitness products. Seeing the next event, temperature, date and time in a flick of a wrist is awesome, but most people think it's easy enough to pull out your phone.

Apple Watch is kind of like Live Tiles on Windows Phone. Immensely useful and an experience you'll miss when going back to an icon grid, but not something that will get people buy Lumias.

If Apple Watch is to succeed it will be a slow burn of people gradually coverting based on seeing some and hearing good things about it. I would assume it has a solid Net Promoter Score, so that should help.

Ninja Dom

Let's hope native apps turn it around, and that Apple sticks to it. I'd hate to see it go the way of Apple TV, demoted to a 'hobby'. Hopefully this is just the beginning and Apple has some excitement in the pipeline.

I'm also in London and only know one person with an Apple Watch and haven't seen any in the wild yet.

I don't know if native apps will make a difference. Maybe new specific killer apps. But 'native apps' as a whole are only aware of by people like us, true enthusiasts that know what they are. A regular iPhone user wouldn't know (or care) about whether apps ran from the iPhone or natively on the Watch.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm also in London and only know one person with an Apple Watch and haven't seen any in the wild yet.

I don't know if native apps will make a difference. Maybe new specific killer apps. But 'native apps' as a whole are only aware of by people like us, true enthusiasts that know what they are. A regular iPhone user wouldn't know (or care) about whether apps ran from the iPhone or natively on the Watch.

The thing is right now 3rd party apps for the Watch are incredibly restricted in terms of how they can be structured, limited available inputs, and the forced phone round trip introducing lag. There is an inherent clunkiness built into 3rd party apps as a result.

You are right the average joe isn't going to know or care where Watch apps run natively. But once native apps arrive, I think we'll see higher quality, more elegant and usable, more innovative apps as a result, and that much improved experience and utility might help more people take notice.

japtor

The thing is right now 3rd party apps for the Watch are incredibly restricted in terms of how they can be structured, limited available inputs, and the forced phone round trip introducing lag. There is an inherent clunkiness built into 3rd party apps as a result.

You are right the average joe isn't going to know or care where Watch apps run natively. But once native apps arrive, I think we'll see higher quality, more elegant and usable, more innovative apps as a result, and that much improved experience and utility might help more people take notice.
I think the thing is that even with whatever improved qualities to the apps there's still the inherent UX limitations of a tiny screen on your wrist, there's only so much that you'll actually want to do on there. Ultimately you still want quick interactions, which is where the native apps (hopefully) come in big, cause one of the biggest issues now is the performance making things...not so quick.

But that limited usage model is why it's kind of a hard sell in the first place, native apps will do it better but it's still serving the same purpose. It's fighting against the whole "but my phone can already do it and more" mentality when people don't understand the impact of the form factor and usage in action. The commercials show it off a bit here and there like a person already doing stuff when a message/call comes in and they handle it simply and quickly, but seems like they also spend a bunch of time on other stuff that ends up looking awkward, like "stand now dammit, obey the watch!"

Anyway I'm hoping another thing coming from native apps is more phone independence like the recent Android Wear update, where it can be alone on whatever wifi remotely from the phone and still keep in sync (and do stuff on its own of course). And an always on mode but I don't really expect that.

A regular iPhone user will care that the apps they like to use can now use the Digital Crown for more than just scrolling single full-screen lists, can now detect motion (moving your hand, turning your wrist), can use force-touch for more than just displaying an overlay menu of 2 to 4 buttons, can play sounds, will react immediately to any button press, can be configured more intuitively than the old Watchkit SDK allows. Speaking as a developer, the current non-native system is incredibly restrictive as to what we can do with our apps.

An example of a simple app improvement: I wrote a Watch app which displays the game- time in the MMO Final Fantasy XIV in large numbers taking about 1/3 of the screen, along with a scrolling schedule of things that can be done at different times. But Watchkit forces you to scroll everything on the screen, you can't just scroll the list without also scrolling the time. So if you look down in the list, you can't see the time anymore. As a native app, I could leave the time always at the top with the scrolling schedule underneath it.

Native apps will be able to be much higher quality than what we have now. They will also have a higher chance of using more battery life, but my 42mm watch never goes below 40% as it is.

Ninja Dom

Oh yeah. 👆🏾Everything you wrote makes perfect sense. Definitely.

But I don't think the average person on the street, iPhone user, is aware of a difference between Native apps and apps running off the iPhone. They don't know that a difference exists. I don't believe the current inability of 3rd party apps to run natively is what is determining the sales of the Apple Watch at this moment.

Top Bottom