• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Let's hope native apps turn it around, and that Apple sticks to it. I'd hate to see it go the way of Apple TV, demoted to a 'hobby'. Hopefully this is just the beginning and Apple has some excitement in the pipeline.

It also seems like with the new AppleTV, App Store/third-party apps, and HomeKit at WWDC, the AppleTV is moving slightly out of the hobby category into something that Apple's taking more seriously.

Wallet’s so ready for WWDC next Monday.

Mostly excited for updated, faster UHD-capable AppleTV hardware, and hopefully a better UI to go with it.

I don't believe the current inability of 3rd party apps to run natively is what is determining the sales of the Apple Watch at this moment.

What is determining sales of the Apple Watch at this moment is the inability to purchase them. Demand is still exceeding supply, to the point that they still aren't available in stores. They could make a software update which would turn the Apple Watch into a fully capable Star Trek computer complete with "beam me up" capabilities, and that wouldn't improve sales one bit right now :)

Figured I'd open the extra band packaging of the leather loop and Milanese loop in hype for tomorrow's delivery, Apple really went all out for band packaging

mf.luder

Dripping wet with anticipation for WWDC for preview of new software and to see where they will take the watch from here. I told myself I'd jump in at 2.0 but if it's that impressive it may be time to buy one in the fall.

Ninja Dom

It also seems like with the new AppleTV, App Store/third-party apps, and HomeKit at WWDC, the AppleTV is moving slightly out of the hobby category into something that Apple's taking more seriously.

Wallet’s so ready for WWDC next Monday.

Mostly excited for updated, faster UHD-capable AppleTV hardware, and hopefully a better UI to go with it.

Wouldn't that mean that Apple will have to start selling UHD movies on the iTunes Store? I don't think they'd give Apple TV the ability without people being able to watch the content.

Ninja Dom

Dripping wet with anticipation for WWDC for preview of new software and to see where they will take the watch from here. I told myself I'd jump in at 2.0 but if it's that impressive it may be time to buy one in the fall.

That's interesting. I ordered my Watch when 1.00 was current. Now we're on 1.01. By the time I actually take delivery, 2.0 could be released.

Wouldn't that mean that Apple will have to start selling UHD movies on the iTunes Store? I don't think they'd give Apple TV the ability without people being able to watch the content.

Apple TV supports Netflix, which has some 4k content. But you're right, I'd bet they'd try to get some 4k content of their own for that.

Sean

Banned
Native apps are not going to change a thing, the reality is that Apple Watch simply isn't cut out for most apps. Take Instagram (one of the most popular apps) for example - who the hell is gonna browse their picture feed on a 1.3 inch 340px screen? Even if you were crazy enough to do that, it's a social network and you can't write comments on the watch. How do you take a selfie to share with your friends? You're constantly pulling out your phone for all these things. So why not just use the "real" full-fledged Instagram app on your phone like you've already been doing for the past five years?

Like 95% of apps out there, a native Instagram watch app wouldn't fix any of these glaring issues, it's just not something that works well on a watch. If you look at the most popular iOS apps they're either games or social networks, both of which require constant interaction from the user. That experience just doesn't translate well to a tiny watch that's more of a read-only device intended for limited and quick interactions.

I don't think there's ever going to be an app craze on the Watch like there was with the iPhone. It's awkward to describe Watch apps ("this is like the app you've already got on your phone except shittier in every single way") and It's even more awkward to actually demo them when it's strapped to your body and the screen shuts off unless your wrist is held at a certain angle. The word of mouth and viral factor is not going to be there.

If I were Apple, I wouldn't be betting big on watch apps taking off and instead would be doubling down on the fitness features and other first party integrations. It'd be neat if I could pair my watch with my Mac and have it lock the screen whenever I left the room and automatically unlock whenever I sit back down at my desk again for example. Convenience features like that are more of a selling point than having a stripped down read-only version of Facebook on my wrist IMO. It'll be interesting to see what happens at WWDC.

I just want the hardware to be capable, which, with an A8, should be the case, so that whenever they do decide to enable UHD content, I'll be able to play it.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Do you guys think Apple will release the leather loop bands for the 38mm? I'm in love with the space grey sport and the leather loop, but it's only available to the 42mm.

SonnyBoy

If I were Apple, I wouldn't be betting big on watch apps taking off and instead would be doubling down on the fitness features and other first party integrations. It'd be neat if I could pair my watch with my Mac and have it lock the screen whenever I left the room and automatically unlock whenever I sit back down at my desk again for example. Convenience features like that are more of a selling point than having a stripped down read-only version of Facebook on my wrist IMO. It'll be interesting to see what happens at WWDC.

I'd love something like that.

My Apple Watch is arriving weeks earlier than expected. Was at June 22-27, but now says it will deliver by June 2nd. Woop! About time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think watch apps have some pretty phone-like potential.

I only say that because of Pinner, an app for the Pinboard service. At work I find myself in the restroom on occasion and headline scrolling and bookmarking has actually been kind of awesome.

Its impossible to tell what form the watch will find itself in 5 years time. When I got my original iPhone I hadn't even conceptualized the fact that it would become my main computer in less than 10 years.

This is my emotional speculation, but I view the current "apps" we have being made part of the glance system. The "apps" we are allowed now should be run simulataneously and active at all times in the form of glances in the near future. With apps being something that actually justifies navigating the literal minefield of the honeycomb screen.

There is no question about whether or not the watch will catch on. It already has in my experience. Its barely been a month and I already see people with them. I get comments every day about it.

It was not like that in 2007.

Its a first gen. Don't buy it if you haven't already. But its a real thing. Apple Pay on your wrist through your sleeve is worth it alone.

I don't even know anyone else with a watch, so the tap communication stuff isn't even available to me.

My stainless steel just delivered, not working out right now so first thing I did was put the leather loop on, what a gorgeous device. It shipped with a 90% charge and 1.01 already installed so I can't wait to mess around with it today

Finally have joined the club

2T8QBt.jpg

I really love this thing, I really hate this DC heat

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You can also toggle silent on/off via the settings glance.
I actually have had sound completely off since the day I got it, might turn it on today to see what its like.

I turned the sound off right away, the taptic also feels nice and strong, I remember the earlier production issues of faulty taptic engine, glad they fixed it.

Also, 9to5mac is reporting that Apple is preparing Apple Store employees for selling the watches in stores soon

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like my taptic is weak as hell. And I have my watch tight.
Do you have prominent turned on or just the normal setting?

I have just the normal setting at max strength and constantly don't notice it.

I'm gonna go in next week to get Applecare for it and I think I'll have them take a look at it.

I feel like my taptic is weak as hell. And I have my watch tight.
Do you have prominent turned on or just the normal setting?

I have just the normal setting at max strength and constantly don't notice it.

I'm gonna go in next week to get Applecare for it and I think I'll have them take a look at it.

I have taptic at max, I've noticed all the notifications so far, definitely noticed the call when my wrist was buzzing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I notice calls.

But the short *tap tap* of a text message I sometimes miss if I'm being really active. My job is pretty active and I'm always running around and lifting tons of stuff and a lot of time during activity like that I won't notice the taps.

If I'm at a computer and sitting relatively still they're easy to notice. In fact I just felt one.

SuperPac

The first couple days I barely noticed the tap. But now I definitely notice it - and I don't have prominent haptic on. Nothing changed, just...now I notice it. For a little while there I turned sounds on (but very quiet) so it was likely if I didn't feel it I would hear the sound at least.

If you've not watched them, I recommend Apple's Guided Tour videos. And then look around iMore.com's Apple Watch guides.

Shearie

So I got my Apple Watch today and pretty much everything is great so far EXCEPT I'm not receiving Mail notifications even though it's set to Mirror my iPhone and I still get the notifications on my phone. Anyone else having this problem?

Edit - I seem to have come up with a solution which was to set Mail notifications on my watch to Custom with everything turned on.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I got mine today, but refused to open at work on account that I'd probably get absolutely nothing done for the rest of the day.

So I've only had a couple hours tonight to dork around with it. The music app seems a touch glitchy when it comes to being a wrist-based remote for the iPhone, but it's mostly OK. (It seems to occasionally not want to go to the track listing of the album playing, instead just showing album artwork.)

Apple Pay setup was completely pain-free. So happy to finally have that in my life.

I'm itching to see if the notifications are working/setup correctly. Guess I wait until tomorrow for the daily pile o' email.

xsarien

daedsiluap
So I got my Apple Watch today and pretty much everything is great so far EXCEPT I'm not receiving Mail notifications even though it's set to Mirror my iPhone and I still get the notifications on my phone. Anyone else having this problem?

Edit - I seem to have come up with a solution which was to set Mail notifications on my watch to Custom with everything turned on.

As far as I understand Apple's support docs:
Locked iPhone/unlocked watch: Notifications go to the watch
Unlocked iPhone/unlocked watch: Notifications go to the phone

iMax

Had this a couple times and had to restore it to fix it.

Is it possible to have no mail notifications on your phone and still get them on your watch?

I use outlook on my phone since GMail sucks on the stock Mail app. Can I can turn on mail sync for the Mail app on my phone, turn off all notifications, and then turn on notifications for the watch only? I'm assuming Outlook has no Watch app.

riotous

Banned
MonoWear still haven't sent me anything; they promised my bands 2 weeks ago then backtracked claiming their space grey adapters turned out to be cheap pieces of shit that have their dark coating come off after 2-3 uses.

They hadn't bothered sharing that issue in any sort of update, the only reason I know is I've emailed them several times.

I'm tempted to ask for my $140 back.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys. I'll consider the mono ones. The lack of reviews online worry me.

How snug do you guys wear the sports band? I'm used to my regular watches being fairly loose, so wearing the watch snug is throwing me off a bit

Like to use the Milanese loop for being a bit dressier going out, even if I'm wearing a t-shirt and cargo shorts. Like to wear the sports band around the house. I want a third party band from Amazon at some point to have a traditional leather band. Something for about 20 bucks. That might supplant the sports band for around the house and leave it only to biking/running. This is a fun device despite its quirks.

Would like to use images for my own custom watch face. Would like to be able to simply copy an image to the watch as well (not put it in an album)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The modern buckle is very comfortable but not that adjustable. It seems like it's the least adjustable of all the bands.

Phreaker

I've found the leather loop to be more comfortable then the sports band, I love the precision adjustment of magnet bands

Me too and it's less sweaty, for me. I still use the sport band for exercise, but I use the leather loop now all the rest of the time. I wonder how they made it. It's like magnets surrounded by leather, but with no stitching or anything.

Me too and it's less sweaty, for me. I still use the sport band for exercise, but I use the leather loop now all the rest of the time. I wonder how they made it. It's like magnets surrounded by leather, but with no stitching or anything.

Jony boy did his magic. But seriously, I had my first workout with the sports band this morning but promptly took it off right when I was done, I love how easy it is to switch bands

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man yeah. I keep missing text messages!
Emails and general notifications I can feel just fine as they're a little different, but the texts are just too faint.

It's true I might just adjust but I don't really know what to say.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Man yeah. I keep missing text messages!
Emails and general notifications I can feel just fine as they're a little different, but the texts are just too faint.

It's true I might just adjust but I don't really know what to say.

Oh thank God it's not just me.

When my phone rings, I feel it. Everything else, if the watch is muted, is just too faint to feel. I'm gonna try to turn on prominent haptic to see if it helps.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It definitely helps. But it sucks. It's just an obnoxious vibration.

I have a 38mm, I wonder if the haptic in the 42mm is stronger?

I was getting a haircut today and missed texts while I was sitting motionless in a chair! :/

xsarien

daedsiluap
It definitely helps. But it sucks. It's just an obnoxious vibration.

I have a 38mm, I wonder if the haptic in the 42mm is stronger?

I was getting a haircut today and missed texts while I was sitting motionless in a chair! :/

I'm wondering if it only does the full vibrate if it's a notification from an app that's installed. Like, Facebook won't do a thing, mail will.

I'd install Swarm if I didn't think that it would just chew the battery to pieces.

Top Bottom