• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Sometimes won't get the large notification that takes up the entire screen when I raise my wrist but I notice the red dot on the top of the screen signifying a notification. Has this happened to anyone else?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Sometimes won't get the large notification that takes up the entire screen when I raise my wrist but I notice the red dot on the top of the screen signifying a notification. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm sticking to my "installed apps" vs pure, remote notifications (e.g., Facebook) theory. It *seems* to be holding.

SeanR1221

After going back and forth a ton of times on which hole to use on my sport band, I found the perfect fit.

I used the small band and the last hole fits perfect. I guess the only thing is I worry how secure it is since there's not a lot of material tucked under my wrist.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really driving myself insane with this haptic thing!
I feel like the text alerts are just too faint.

When I change the haptic setting back and forth the jolt it gives is waay stronger than the text alerts. So are the email and fitness alerts.

I wish you could set what specific sensation certain apps use. I wish the text one was the strongest. I no longer there is an issue with my device because the other alerts I can feel. And I just spent 10 min sliding the haptic feedback strength slider back and forth feeling the taps it produces and they're a lot stronger than what it does when you get a text.

Guess I'll leave prominent on for now but it's very frustrating.

First full day with watch, picked up watch off the charging stand at 7am, placed it back at 11pm, battery is at 59%. I answered texts, calls, checked mail, used apps, basically I used without thinking about battery and what I think will be normal usage. I must not be a heavy user but this is awesome battery performance and something I can definitely deal with for a gen 1 smart watch.

Well,

My fitbit surge is now developing moisture under the screen after 25 minutes of running. This is pretty disappointing. Thinking of defecting to an Apple Sport w/ black band. How are the runners in this thread liking it?

Sean

Banned
Well,

My fitbit surge is now developing moisture under the screen after 25 minutes of running. This is pretty disappointing. Thinking of defecting to an Apple Sport w/ black band. How are the runners in this thread liking it?

I can't compare it to the Fitbit, but the fitness features are my favorite part of the Apple Watch so far.

One of the Engadget editors who is a runner wrote her fitness-oriented impressions yesterday, it's a good fair and balanced review. http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/02/the-apple-watch-as-a-fitness-device/

The Black Sports Band that I ordered to complement my Milanese Loop has finally arrived. It feels nice, but for day-to-day wear I like the look of the ML more.

I think a lot of developers are just waiting for native app support.

I am seeing very little in the way of new applications.

Ninja Dom

Anyone willing to gold plate their watch?

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/midas-touch-turns-your-apple-watch-gold-for-under-100/

lol at being able to pose that you have the 10K watch. Not sure I'd want that sort of attention from undesirables without a bodyguard.

One guy on the Macrumors forums had a gold plating business for motorcycle parts/models. He gold plated his Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop and posted his pics there. It went down so well that other forum members asked him to do theirs and now that is his new legitimate sideline business.

One guy on the Macrumors forums had a gold plating business for motorcycle parts/models. He gold plated his Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop and posted his pics there. It went down so well that other forum members asked him to do theirs and now that is his new legitimate sideline business.
Sounds like fun and a possible thing to do if you upgrade your apple watch. Keep the old one, gold plate it and wear that watch for special occasions.

Oh, saw a better workaround for those that don't want the watch face to distract other moviegoers at the theater. You add a new modular watch face, and remove every single complication from it. Finally change the color to the least distracting red. Far better than putting the watch in reserve mode.

Phreaker

That would be okay, provided the watch app on your phone retains everything you've set up. Pairing process goes pretty quickly.

It seems to other than credit cards. It did take a bit of time though, maybe 10 minutes? Then it had to redownload the companion apps from the phone to the watch.

Last night I had to unpair/repair the watch to my phone and used the "backup" when repairing. I had to do this because no matter what I tried the weather app on the watch would not load, just spinning dots for 24hrs. I read elsewhere that unpair and repairing the watch fixes it, and it did. This .01 software update is really poor.

I've had some strange behavior with power reserve. My watch wouldn't power on from power reserve. The screen wouldn't come up and it was completely unresponsive. About a half hour later, the watch powered on. I'm not sure if it is my watch doing that or some bug, but I'm not messing with power reserve anymore.

It seems to other than credit cards. It did take a bit of time though, maybe 10 minutes? Then it had to redownload the companion apps from the phone to the watch.

Last night I had to unpair/repair the watch to my phone and used the "backup" when repairing. I had to do this because no matter what I tried the weather app on the watch would not load, just spinning dots for 24hrs. I read elsewhere that unpair and repairing the watch fixes it, and it did. This .01 software update is really poor.

That stinks about the repair. I'm kind of glad the credit cards don't come back. That weather app on the watch is far better than the yahoo weather app. Prefer yahoo on the phone. I've had to kill these weather apps a few times to get them to update correctly. Have had to do that too many times, but I accept it as it is first generation.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I paid for an NYC cab with my watch last night and, in my mind, wept. I hate using cards in those things because some drivers are super shady. Now it's no longer an issue.

SuperPac

Oh, saw a better workaround for those that don't want the watch face to distract other moviegoers at the theater. You add a new modular watch face, and remove every single complication from it. Finally change the color to the least distracting red. Far better than putting the watch in reserve mode.

There's definitely that.

Also, you can turn off activate on wrist-raise, then it's not going to turn on when eating popcorn/whatever.

Agreed, just use a different watch face, no need to shut it off, it's a watch

Ninja Dom

Hopefully at WWDC we'll hear about more countries that Apple Pay is being extended to. Especially UK. I've never actually seen it in action except the Apple demonstrations.

I wanna flex my watch at the debit terminals.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hopefully at WWDC we'll hear about more countries that Apple Pay is being extended to. Especially UK. I've never actually seen it in action except the Apple demonstrations.

I wanna flex my watch at the debit terminals.

More often than not, if there's a standard NFC icon on the terminal it should work. My cab experience (from a few posts up) had that.

I never really understood the distinction between that and Apple Pay specifically.

mr stroke

Finally got my watch after 2 month wait

swapped black band for the $40 Hoco stainless steel band off ebay

ttN0Fn4l.jpg

0MtbyqHl.jpg

Pretty cool so far, wish there were more watch faces and a faster UI, but sure that will come at some point.

ttN0Fn4l.jpg

0MtbyqHl.jpg

Pretty cool so far, wish there were more watch faces and a faster UI, but sure that will come at some point.

This is the best look. Any sort of link band like this with a stainless steel watch makes the Apple Watch look great.

xsarien

daedsiluap
This is the best look. Any sort of link band like this with a stainless steel watch makes the Apple Watch look great.

Space Black SS/black link band is the 3rd-4th gen Apple Watch I'm saving for. I got the sport to more or less see how much I'd actually use a wearable with this many toys stuffed inside.

(So far, quite a bit as it turns out.)

Space Black SS/black link band is the 3rd-4th gen Apple Watch I'm saving for. I got the sport to more or less see how much I'd actually use a wearable with this many toys stuffed inside.

That's pretty much the reason I went with the sports now.

That was my logic at first, until I saw the watches in person.

I actually finally saw someone with an apple watch sport in the wild today in soho, glad I just paid the extra $ and went with stainless

xsarien

daedsiluap
That was my logic at first, until I saw the watches in person.

I actually finally saw someone with an apple watch sport in the wild today in soho, glad I just paid the extra $ and went with stainless

It's just personal taste more than anything else. The silver just grates on me; it looks way too formal on steel, and on aluminum it just looks a little cheap. Space black + steel, though? That's just damned hot.

SeanR1221

I used the watch while squatting today. I was bummed there's no lifting option under exercise. I selected other. It seemed to track my heart rate ok, but I didn't see much of a point

ttN0Fn4l.jpg

0MtbyqHl.jpg

That looks great. I ended up ordering this stainless link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XU8Q2YM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rowena

Neo Member
So I have 2 orders, one listed as

Processing Items Available to ship: 1-2 weeks
Delivers: 08 Jun, 2015 - 15 Jun, 2015 by 2-3 Business Days
(Ordered on May 27 38mm Sport Pink)

And

Processing Items Available to ship: 9-11 business days
Delivers: 16 Jun, 2015 - 18 Jun, 2015 by 2-3 Business Days
( ordered on May 22nd 42mm Milanese Loop)

Do you guys, that have had their watches shiped. Do you think these will come earlier than the projected delivery dates or come within those delivery dates? Or does Apple sometimes miss these all together. I've never ordered from Apple before.

Phreaker

So I have 2 orders, one listed as

Do you guys, that have had their watches shiped. Do you think these will come earlier than the projected delivery dates or come within those delivery dates? Or does Apple sometimes miss these all together. I've never ordered from Apple before.

My experience was it was received before the earliest date, by at least a few days. I got a notification and it was at my door the next day.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess prominent haptics are just the way I have to go.. I turned them on last night and today I didn't miss a single text. Its kinda disappointing, but now its working the way I initially imagined.

Wanged it on a door twice today! But no damage or anything.

Also I just went to a pretty small bar and left my phone in the car and sat at the bar and was still in range of my phone so that was VERY cool. It really felt like the watch had its own internet connection.

I've pretty much universally started to cup my hand around the watch when I text with it. It just seems like proper ettiquette.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Just released our first Watch game, Four Letters. We only have a single Watch in the office so interested in feedback from real users in the field under real world conditions. Feedback to the iOS games thread or PM appreciated if you have the time to give it a whirl.

Top Bottom