• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Do you guys, that have had their watches shiped. Do you think these will come earlier than the projected delivery dates or come within those delivery dates? Or does Apple sometimes miss these all together. I've never ordered from Apple before.

It seems like everyone was getting their shipment about a week or so before the earliest estimated shipment. Mine came in 2 weeks earlier

Spotify is releasing an android wear app this month, hopefully the apple watch app isn't far behind

SeanR1221

Cheap Chinese band from Amazon came in today. Looks good to me! The connectors are adapters that I can change to whatever I want.

The back of the box. Hilarious

xsarien

daedsiluap
Man, I was reaching with that vibration theory. The watch really does mirror everything. Once I flipped all the notifications I wanted vibrations for to "custom," this thing started dancing. On my phone I have vibration set to "none" for a lot of things.

So I'm not missing SMS/iMessage texts anymore. :p

Cheap Chinese band from Amazon came in today. Looks good to me! The connectors are adapters that I can change to whatever I want.

The back of the box. Hilarious

Like it, especially for the adapters. I had the power complication on each watch face that could take it until I realized the watch never is in danger of losing power. Took a few weeks to get there, but I use that space for something else. Have it set up as a glance now.

I don't see apple allowing spotify to load songs on the watch anytime soon, but if they do this with the new revamped beats music I'll switch day 1

Shearie

When you guys put your Apple Watch in Do Not Disturb mode, does it store the missed notifications in the Notification Center like it does on iOS devices with DND on? Mine doesn't and it annoys the shit out of me.

iMax

When you guys put your Apple Watch in Do Not Disturb mode, does it store the missed notifications in the Notification Center like it does on iOS devices with DND on? Mine doesn't and it annoys the shit out of me.

Nope, it doesn't. Incredibly irritating.

Shearie

Nope, it doesn't. Incredibly irritating.

I really hope that it's a bug and not intended to work like this. I switch between DND on and off a lot and it basically makes one of the main things I got the Apple Watch for (quickly view notifications without pulling out my phone) near useless.

Maximus.

Received my Sport Space Grey 42mm Watch today! Set it up and got it to a level that I like it. It is pretty nifty so far, but can't wait to put it through its paces. I instinctively reach for my phone to check for notifications still.

Mark Gurman on some future Apple Watch updates:

Native SDK for Developers:

Expect your Apple Watch apps to run much faster, smoother, and more reliably starting this fall. Apple is planning to release its first beta of the native Apple Watch SDK to developers at WWDC. These native tools will allow Apple Watch developers to make Watch apps that install directly onto the Apple Watch and can utilize sensors, the Digital Crown, and the processing power of the wearable. Currently, WatchKit apps run on your iPhone and transfer data to your Watch over Bluetooth.

Future Software Upgrades:

While Apple may not choose to use the WWDC stage to debut software upgrades to Watch OS, we have learned that Apple is preparing a Watch OS update to match iOS 9 that is internally called “Bondi.” While we do not have specifics on what is in store for that iOS 9 upgrade, we’ve reported that Apple is working on third-party watch face Complication support, improvements to the heart rate reader functionality, “Smart Leashing,” a Find my Watch feature, and more.

Untethered Hardware:

Besides talk of new Apple Watch software, we have heard that Apple is making headway on the development of the 2016 Apple Watch hardware and software updates. We are told that one of the top priorities within the Apple Watch development labs is to make the device independent of the iPhone, essentially untethering it. This doesn’t mean your next Apple Watch will work with Android, but it means that your Watch will be able to do far more over WiFi and Bluetooth than it can today.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/05/wwdc-2015-ios-osx-music-roundup/

SuperPac

The only Apple Watch software update I'm interested in is the one that stops auto-installing apps on the Watch when one of my iPhone apps that has a Watch component updates. It even auto-activates Glances for those. And yes I have Automatic Downloads off - it doesn't $&%^#! work.

But yeah all that other stuff will be good too.

Ah, fuck.

Wait, it's a piece of technology, why did you not think there would be yearly updates when there is for every Apple product?

As long as these Apple bands don't suddenly obsolete after a generation I'm ok (I don't see why Apple would ever need to change band specifications of the bands unless they wanted a paper thin watch)

LCfiner

Honestly, kinda. Was hoping for biennial updates.

not for the first year of the product. maybe after 3 or 4 years, the upgrade cycle on the watch hardware would slow down. right now it's still prime iteration time. make it more appealing to more people as quickly as possible

My girlfriend was trying on my watch and was trying to figure things out without me telling her anything, it's hilarious how non intuitive the OS is

tmdorsey

Finally got my April 19th order today. I'm so glad I'm gonna have a full weekend to play with it. Setting it up and paring it was a breeze. Currently using the Chronograph watch face.

Sean

Banned
My girlfriend was trying on my watch and was trying to figure things out without me telling her anything, it's hilarious how non intuitive the OS is

Yeah, even for me, if I didn't watch all those guided tour videos and keynotes and read all the hands-on articles and stuff, I'd probably have no idea how to use it at first. And I'm a geek. There's a big learning curve for sure.

- I'd say one of the biggest problems is the "Resume to Clock Face" feature (on by default) just makes everything awkward as hell. You'll be in an app one minute and the display goes off, then next thing you know you're back at the watch face and forgot what you were even doing. I had the stopwatch going for two weeks(!!) because of this.
- Basically two home screens (the watch face and the app screen) makes things confusing
- Notification center and glances can only be activated from the watch face
- Siri having no voice/audio feedback is weird as hell after five years of it on iPhone.
- Most of the UI is completely invisible, hidden behind Force Touch
- Four different clock-related apps (World Clock, Timer, Stopwatch, Alarms) all grouped together with the same orange and white icons that are super hard to tell apart.
- Even just re-arranging the app screen is extremely difficult to place icons where you want

I'm looking forward to Apple Watch OS 2.0, I hope Apple fixes a lot of this usability stuff. I've gotten used to the way things work, but it's not user friendly at all imo.

iMax

Yeah, even for me, if I didn't watch all those guided tour videos and keynotes and read all the hands-on articles and stuff, I'd probably have no idea how to use it at first. And I'm a geek. There's a big learning curve for sure.

- I'd say one of the biggest problems is the "Resume to Clock Face" feature (on by default) just makes everything awkward as hell. You'll be in an app one minute and the display goes off, then next thing you know you're back at the watch face and forgot what you were even doing. I had the stopwatch going for two weeks(!!) because of this.
- Basically two home screens (the watch face and the app screen) makes things confusing
- Notification center and glances can only be activated from the watch face
- Siri having no voice/audio feedback is weird as hell after five years of it on iPhone.
- Most of the UI is completely invisible, hidden behind Force Touch
- Four different clock-related apps (World Clock, Timer, Stopwatch, Alarms) all grouped together with the same orange and white icons that are super hard to tell apart.
- Even just re-arranging the app screen is extremely difficult to place icons where you want

I'm looking forward to Apple Watch OS 2.0, I hope Apple fixes a lot of this usability stuff. I've gotten used to the way things work, but it's not user friendly at all imo.

I still want an option so that when I raise my wrist it shows the time for 1 second (which is all it takes to check the time) and then zips you straight to your last app. Best of both worlds.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I still want an option so that when I raise my wrist it shows the time for 1 second (which is all it takes to check the time) and then zips you straight to your last app. Best of both worlds.

Not having used one yet I don't know how practical this is but what about raise to see watch face (or use hey siri), and any button interaction takes you to last app or home screen (menu toggle).

If you are interacting with an app you will probably have your other hand there anyway, not always the case with checking the time.

Sean

Banned

A hybrid option like that seems to be the perfect solution. Good idea.

Used the gps function on the maps today, it was really cool and so much nicer using walking navigation on the wrist instead of carrying the phone, the taps for left and right are a great touch (no pun intended)

Maximus.

My main gripe right now is that apps take forever to load and some of the slow behaviour of the OS. Sure it will be fixed once we get dedicated apps and a major update.

SeanR1221

Used the adapters and put a fossil band on there. Looks MUCH nicer.

I had to kind of jerry-rig it and shove the adapter poles in the fossil band with the original connectors. Oh well!

It's not as close to the wrist as the sport but I can still feel the haptics and it's not disconecting

I've been wearing the Milanese loop the last two days, beautiful band, got quite a few people asking about the watch once I switched from the leather loop (which I like a lot also). For someone with hairy arms I've finally found a metal band that doesn't pull my arm hair

Finally going to get my SS ML version in tomorrow. UPS didn't have it get to South Florida till Saturday so they wouldn't deliver it till the start of the next week.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Was at Target yesterday and saw a couple of other people wearing theirs.
Starting to see a few more people come into work wearing them too. Seems like its really catching on.

Moreche

Returning my 42 SS today, it doesn't do enough for what it cost and it depends on the phone to much.
Looks nice but for me that's all.

Top Bottom