• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

jts

...hate me...
Hah, I asked about a night clock mode a while ago and got just that, awesome!

Sucks for people that bought vertical stands though :p

Tempted to install the WatchOS 2.0 beta on me watch.

Activation lock in 2.0:

CHALttQUIAALLmV.png

YW2dPIc.png

Wait, Nightstand mode doesn't stay always on?

I am disappoint.

I hope there is a portrait mode for that for those that use watch stands

Also, according to Apple Music info page, you can play music from watch without iPhone nearby, goodbye Spotify and your shitty apps

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ok, just did my first jog without my iphone in tow since and it was off by like .6 miles

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How many runs did you do with phone?

Like 4 or 5 I think. Not to mention the 20+ outdoor walks I've recorded. Same route every time. Nearly exactly 4 miles with GPS depending on where I stop. Its a local trail around a lake so its an undisputable fact that its 4 miles. Without the phone it measured like 4.67 or something.

edit:
I am aware that in the fineprint it says best results with an arm band or holding the phone, but since I have a 6+ I tuck it in the pocket of a track jacket. So I guess the phone is technically on my torso, but C'mon.

Like 4 or 5 I think. Not to mention the 20+ outdoor walks I've recorded. Same route every time. Nearly exactly 4 miles with GPS depending on where I stop. Its a local trail around a lake so its an undisputable fact that its 4 miles. Without the phone it measured like 4.67 or something.

edit:
I am aware that in the fineprint it says best results with an arm band or holding the phone, but since I have a 6+ I tuck it in the pocket of a track jacket. So I guess the phone is technically on my torso, but C'mon.

Actually it's because the phone is probably being braced against your chest. Therefore in some cases the phone cannot detect the cadence of you run.

Thezez

Banned
Somebody in the WWDC thread is attempting to. He says the process is more difficult than installing iOS.

That would be me. Not a great start as I have no haptic working. Attempting a restart.

Edit: Restart fixed it.

First Impressions:
- Time Lapse watch face is pretty nice.
- The ability to go forward or backward in 'time' with time travel is actually really handy. I have a couple of world clocks on my watch face and it allows me to easily check what time it is in Portland when its 6pm in New Zealand.

Anybody want me to test something specific?

Maximus.

I am leaning towards returning my watch. I think that the watch has great potential, but in its current form and with what I saw from 2.0, it isn't exactly what I need. It is nice to be able to walk around the house without my phone in tow and to quickly check notifications from my wrist. It is also nice to use the heart rate monitor, but overall it just doesn't seem worth it. The watch is also very comfortable and the build quality is amazing. I still spend a large amount of time on my phone and tend to barely even look at my watch, except to actually check the time. The battery for me has lasted 2 days on a single charge throughout the week because I do not really use it. Apps load really slowly and are no joy to use and I know that will be fixed with the newer software. With that said, it is no fun consuming large amounts of information on the small screen and is counter intuitive. With more sensors and features added in future generations, I am sure it will be more appealing, but in its current form I am more in the "not for me camp". I am still going to test drive it for a few more days.

Thezez

Banned
So I've had a half day or so with the Watch OS 2.0 beta. If you're considering installing it to play around - don't. This may be the buggiest beta Apple has ever put out.

I've had Watch Faces disappearing or not showing the images they are supposed to (The motion one is especially bad at this), taptic turns off after an hour or so, the home screen gets stuck, frequent reboots, 'when i feel like it' notifications, just awful.

Ninja Dom

For the those that want to return your Watch, what were you expecting?

I don't have a Watch yet (mine is out for delivery) but at the end of it all, is it not still a watch? I mean, people spend the same money on other watches that have far, far less functionality - most can ONLY tell the time.

Are you going to go back to wearing a "regular" watch or no watch at all? Is it a case of not worth the money? Would you have bought a non-smartwatch for the same equivalent money?

Apple could design nightstand mode to orbit the graphics so they don't burn in (or at least reduces burn in). Also at night they would only need to be very dimly lit, which would also reduce burn-in further.

Isn't the problem with OLED that it has a relatively limited lifespan? I imagine leaving it on overnight constantly wouldn't help that.

SuperPac

Gotta say, Time Travel is a pretty excellent feature for seeing meetings later in the day real quick without needing to open up the calendar app. Handy! Photo watch faces are...meh, ok - you can't put any complications on them, so it's kind of useless to me, anyway.

I am starting to get two rashes on my left wrist from the Apple Watch, after having it for over a month now. Weird that the rash has now popped up. I've moved the Watch over to my right wrist, but it just doesn't feel right.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, did not wearing the watch/changing wrists temporarily fix the matter?

Moreche

Glad I returned my watch today after the briefing yesterday.
I can see things like video on the watch killing the battery.
Weirdly I actually feel relieved returning it, first apple product that has ever done that.

Gotta say, Time Travel is a pretty excellent feature for seeing meetings later in the day real quick without needing to open up the calendar app. Handy! Photo watch faces are...meh, ok - you can't put any complications on them, so it's kind of useless to me, anyway.

Photo faces are boring, I was hoping they'd announce 3rd party watch faces or at least add more watch faces and I'm not talking about the video faces which look like a battery drain

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah.. On the announcement they were like "new watch faces" and I got really excited but then they just turned out to be useless chrome.

Maximus.

I don't have a Watch yet (mine is out for delivery) but at the end of it all, is it not still a watch? I mean, people spend the same money on other watches that have far, far less functionality - most can ONLY tell the time.

Are you going to go back to wearing a "regular" watch or no watch at all? Is it a case of not worth the money? Would you have bought a non-smartwatch for the same equivalent money?

I do not normally wear a watch, but I do own two watches and wear them occasionally. I would not spend what I spent on the Apple Watch on a normal watch and it isn't a matter of expecting more, since the watch is what I thought it would be. It is more that it doesn't add anything to my daily routine and goes basically unused. With that said, I do not find it worth it for me and cannot justify keeping it without feeling a sense of guilt. With a normal watch I know that I will be able to basically keep it forever, whereas with the Apple Watch it seems it will be outdated and obsolete, like any other technology, in the near future. I do not want to have another gadget I have to upgrade every few years, especially if it isn't having a big impact on my daily routine.

For what is in the market and from the research I did before purchasing, the Apple Watch is amazing for what a smartwatch is today. That is something I do not need at this point and time and I am okay just relying on my phone for notifications and quickly looking at things. The Apple Watch is really well built, the software is not too bad after a day of using it and the screen is amazing. It is very comfortable to wear and didn't look like a total piece of technology.

Maybe if the wait to get one wasn't so long from when I ordered it, I may have kept it. I knew going into it that I would have to test and see if I really liked it though, so I do not think the delay in shipping it out was that huge a factor in my overall decision.

Ty4on

Wait, Nightstand mode doesn't stay always on?

I am disappoint.
The OLED would probably suffer some burn in if it was on all night.

Edit: I need to start reading older posts...
Even with orbiting graphics it's probably not a good idea to leave it on all night just for those two seconds you look at the face. A bed side clock isn't that expensive.

SuperPac

I actually think I see one placed on the very top.

http://imgur.com/a/vXVJG

cZuN2ZA.jpg

pKudIK2.jpg

Hopefully you can do weather.

The moon/Lightning thing or the date? I've got Watch OS 2 on my watch and the only thing you can change in a photo face is the photo - it's the only thing you can change in Customize mode. The date and time are just there.
And the moon shows DND is on and the Lightning shows that it's on the charger

OmniOne

I've had my watch for a day now and so far I'm really enjoying it. 42mm SGS. There is 1 issue that iv'e found that I haven't seen as an issue for others online.

When I do place calls from the watch, there is very distracting static that starts light, gets louder in a pulse and the lighter again, over and over, that does't exist when calling directly from the my iPhone 6.

Anyone else have this issue? I've reset the bluetooth radios/ rebooted both devices to no effect.

Ninja Dom

I do not normally wear a watch, but I do own two watches and wear them occasionally. I would not spend what I spent on the Apple Watch on a normal watch and it isn't a matter of expecting more, since the watch is what I thought it would be. It is more that it doesn't add anything to my daily routine and goes basically unused. With that said, I do not find it worth it for me and cannot justify keeping it without feeling a sense of guilt. With a normal watch I know that I will be able to basically keep it forever, whereas with the Apple Watch it seems it will be outdated and obsolete, like any other technology, in the near future. I do not want to have another gadget I have to upgrade every few years, especially if it isn't having a big impact on my daily routine.

For what is in the market and from the research I did before purchasing, the Apple Watch is amazing for what a smartwatch is today. That is something I do not need at this point and time and I am okay just relying on my phone for notifications and quickly looking at things. The Apple Watch is really well built, the software is not too bad after a day of using it and the screen is amazing. It is very comfortable to wear and didn't look like a total piece of technology.

Maybe if the wait to get one wasn't so long from when I ordered it, I may have kept it. I knew going into it that I would have to test and see if I really liked it though, so I do not think the delay in shipping it out was that huge a factor in my overall decision.

I know, I understand that in a few years Apple Watch that exists today won't pair up with the iPhone's of the future and will have very little independence on their own without an iPhone.

But I'll be okay as it's still a "watch", a nice looking one, I believe. For the first few years I'll get all the "smart" benefits of it and then later on down the line I'll just use it as a watch, unless Apple can tempt me to upgrade.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We updated our Watch game to watchOS 2 today. Super easy to do and appears to have eliminated all lag and loading times.

Now we just have to wait for it to be rolled out to consumers.

Blackhead

Redarse

I know, I understand that in a few years Apple Watch that exists today won't pair up with the iPhone's of the future and will have very little independence on their own without an iPhone.

But I'll be okay as it's still a "watch", a nice looking one, I believe. For the first few years I'll get all the "smart" benefits of it and then later on down the line I'll just use it as a watch, unless Apple can tempt me to upgrade.

Can the Swiss Watchmaker Survive the Digital Age? | NYT Mag June 7, 2015
Clive Thompson said:
It was recognizably a watch, complete with a crown that controlled on-screen apps, but it had Apple’s distinctive aesthetic, with its minimal lines and sleek curves; the watch is a smaller version of an iPhone, essentially...

the design of the Apple Watch is “not very sexy.”

“There is not enough emotion,” he said. “It’s just a reduction of the phone for the wrist.”

Why I’m Breaking Up With the Apple Watch | NYT Fashion & Style June 10, 2015
Vannesa Friedman said:
I spend a lot of time in a world where products are shorthand for people, and I know too well the risks of having such semiology attached to myself (though I fully acknowledge my willingness to attach it to others).

But when I started wearing the Apple Watch (the 38-millimeter case with a Milanese Loop band, which is the smaller size with a flexible stainless steel bracelet), it became a subject of conversation no matter where I was...

Then they made certain assumptions about me.

Which, frankly, I would have made about any woman like myself walking around with a big black box on her arm.

Because no matter how attractive the Apple Watch is in the context of other smartwatches or smartbands, no matter how much of an aesthetic advance its rounded corners and rectangular display, it still looks like a gadget. Especially on someone, like me, with relatively small wrists.

Not only does its face effectively span the width of my forearm, but the cool little screen saver that so many reviewers have lauded — the Mickey or the butterfly or the galaxy (which is the one I have) or the pseudo-watch hands (the one that, notably, is always on in every picture of the watch, and actually makes it look like a watch) — is also functionally sleeping most of the time.

Every time I see it, I want to shriek, “Beam me up, Scotty.”

Not that it would do much good. Typing doesn’t awaken the picture. Even when I rock my arm back and forth energetically, it often takes a few tries before up the earth pops. The default position is blank...

This doesn’t seem to have bothered the tech writers, most of whom wrote persuasively positive reviews of the gadget, primarily based on what it could do for you. And it is certainly more subtle than Google Glass, though I am not sure that is saying much.

Granted, all of this would likely pale in importance if the watch were truly transforming my life, as my iPhone has. But...

I did like the fact that I could turn my phone ringer off, and the watch would vibrate when, say, my children were on the line and I needed to take the call. But in the end that wasn’t enough.

When I told a colleague about the breakup, he observed that perhaps I wasn’t the target for the Apple Watch. That I should be sure to tell the Siri on my wrist, “It’s not you, it’s me.” He may be right.

Except I don’t think so... because I actually think I am the intended: a nontech person who wouldn’t otherwise have too many gadgets (a phone, an iPad, a laptop), but who could be seduced into buying another because of its desirability.

That’s the way Apple increases market share and owns a category, after all: by sucking in those who are not Apple addicts. It’s why the company worked so hard to get close to the fashion flock.

But here’s the thing: The watch isn’t actually a fashion accessory for the tech-happy. It’s a tech accessory pretending to be a fashion accessory. I just couldn’t fall for it.

the 42mm case isn't that big itself but the big blank screen just blots out everything else. The big watches that people wear are made up of all those small elements on the watchfaces (hands, jewels, logos etc) that your eyes can focus on but the Apple Watch is like a black hole on your wrist... It needs a bigger band/lugs imo. I hope third party strap makers step up

Ninja Dom

Fair enough for those people. Apple Watch will be the first watch I've decided to buy since I turned into an adult many years ago. I'm genuinely sold on the looks.

I bought a Blue Sports Band today at Apple Store Covent Garden today. I think the Blue Sports Band with Space Grey Apple Watch Sport looks great!

I don't think I have ever had an issue getting the screen to come on when I want to look at it. It also hasn't turned on without me wanting it to. That complaint makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom