• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Moreche

Fair enough for those people. Apple Watch will be the first watch I've decided to buy since I turned into an adult many years ago. I'm genuinely sold on the looks.

I bought a Blue Sports Band today at Apple Store Covent Garden today. I think the Blue Sports Band with Space Grey Apple Watch Sport looks great!
I agree, I love my 42 SS with blue LL and love the looks.
It never leaves my wrist and I'm now thinking of buying the classic buckle.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Damn it now I'm considering installing it on my watch.

Just to clarify, the version of Four Letters which is live on the Store right now is still on the old SDK, so it still has some clunkiness (though we think we did a good job for the limitations).

We'll have to wait until watchOS 2.0 gets a public release before we can put this new update out I believe.

xsarien

daedsiluap
So is there a way to stop iPhone apps that update from (re) installing their watch components?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this "feature" is really obnoxious.

Ninja Dom

I'd avoid installing 2.0 Beta 1 if it's your day to day Apple Watch. Read this from the previous page.

So I've had a half day or so with the Watch OS 2.0 beta. If you're considering installing it to play around - don't. This may be the buggiest beta Apple has ever put out.

I've had Watch Faces disappearing or not showing the images they are supposed to (The motion one is especially bad at this), taptic turns off after an hour or so, the home screen gets stuck, frequent reboots, 'when i feel like it' notifications, just awful.

Does anybody know why every Apple screenshot of the watch has the time set to 10.09?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Overcast app is actually really well made on the watch. Are all developers who made watch apps going to remake them so they all run native?

I hope they're smart about it. I realize it's probably sexier to say you have a native app but (for example) Dark Sky seems just fine the way it is.

I also hope the mass conversion to native doesn't adversely affect battery life. So far I'm averaging well above Apple's estimates and I want to *keep* it that way.

japtor

Actually, most others use 10:10. Apple did 10:09, maybe as "a step ahead" or something?
That...and/or basic visual symmetry, at 10:10 the minute hand is slightly ahead of the hour. And if you include the second hand it's either 10:09:00 or 10:09:30. (or it's probably all 10:09:30 actually, I was looking at the chronograph face and mistook the timer hand for the seconds)

Maximus.

I don't think I have ever had an issue getting the screen to come on when I want to look at it. It also hasn't turned on without me wanting it to. That complaint makes no sense to me.

It always isn't accurate. If you are lying down, the screen rarely turns on. Subtle movements do not turn it on and I find if you accidentally flick the screen on and off, then it sometimes takes a few tries to get it on again. Differs for everyone I guess. I am sure it will be improved over time though.

Edit: It is still very responsive, there are just weird cases were it decides not to work. Don't want people to think its a gimmick that doesn't work as advertised, when it really does work well overall.

Moreche

Ordered a classic buckle for my SS.
I really do love this little device and look forward to seeing what devs come up with having acces to its functions.

So is there a way to stop iPhone apps that update from (re) installing their watch components?

I have that option turned off in my Watch.app and it doesn't install any apps on my Watch unless I go into the Watch.app and specifically pick an app to install on my Watch.

Sean

Banned

The app homescreen stuff is straight up broken for me on Apple Watch. Apps that I've chosen not to show on the watch just appear anyway, half the time when I update an iPhone app it breaks the corresponding watch app (seemingly gets stuck on the installing process where it's a blank white icon and can't be launched).

I mostly use glances and first party apps, so it's not a huge deal, but pretty annoying.

Anybody use the watch for running? I am thinking about picking one up... but the idea of carrying a phone and a watch with me seems like overkill.

Also.. is the watch for sell in the stores or just online?

SuperPac

That hasn't happened to me on watchOS 2, but the battery life is complete shit. Today is the second day I hit 0 before 6 pm.

riotous

Banned
Monowear has gone silent on their space gray adapter. Literally got a shipping notice a month ago. Then after emailing me 2 dates they missed they admitted their grey adapters are worthless POS. Then they told me
June 1st. No public updates or messages on their Kickstarter about it.

Hate kickstarters sometimes . Have a bad feeling I'll never see a product or my $140 back.

From a May 23rd email last I heard from them:

sorry for the delay.
we were having some issues with the matte dark gray adapters where the PVD coating was coming off only after a few slides in and out the Apple Watch housing, trying to fix that issue right now. Hope to have improved components in by end of next week. Shipping again June 1, fingers crossed.
Thanks for your patience.

edit: Man these assholes have a lot of nerve... 4 promised dates missed.. and then I send a "Anything yet?" e-mail and get this response:

Hi Aaron,

Everything is as scheduled. Orders should be shipped out by Monday, at the latest.
Thank you.

As scheduled? Are you fucking serious? lol

Fox1304

Holy crap the battery life is a mess on the first beta of Watch OS 2. I barely manage to keep the watch up until 5PM, instead of putting it to rest at 20% at midnight before ...
The second beta won't come too soon ...

Ninja Dom

Yes my 42mm Space Grey Sport has arrived. I ordered it May 13 and it arrived June 11. So just under one month. Haven't opened it up yet.

Ninja Dom

Okay, so I've set up my Watch, and I'm enjoying this.

One question, how do you update the Contacts on the Contact button?? I've added people into my iPhone Favourites Contacts section but they don't show up on the Watch.

jts

...hate me...
Okay, so I've set up my Watch, and I'm enjoying this.

One question, how do you update the Contacts on the Contact button?? I've added people into my iPhone Favourites Contacts section but they don't show up on the Watch.

Gratz m8, glad you finally have it. One day it will be my turn.

Regarding your question, I think you have to sync your watch to update that kind of stuff. And to sync you have to put your Watch to charge (dunno about the iPhone side of things, actually it would be interesting to know).

Got my watch yesterday and already partially regretting my purchase. Primarily wanted it for the heart rate monitoring ( exercises and calorie counting with my fitnesspal etc)

I have a Polar v800 fitness watch and heart rate monitor its pretty hardcore, mostly for triathletes, but its accurate, and when i know things are not accurate it bugs the hell out of me.

The apple watch BMR is stupidly high over 1000 calories higher than what my BMR should be.

Exercises calorie counts are vastly different to the v800. Its just not that accurate as a fitness tracker at all.

japtor

Calorie calculation in general requires some BS doesn't it? You can get some approximations (based on height/weight/etc) but afaik to get confirmed accurate metabolic rates you need to get some tests done.

Calorie calculation in general requires some BS doesn't it? You can get some approximations (based on height/weight/etc) but afaik to get confirmed accurate metabolic rates you need to get some tests done.

I don't know the exact science behind the calculations but according to reports it's on par with other fitness trackers when it comes to accuracy

I love my watch for tracking health stuff but has anyone else noticed that it tracks when you drive? Has this been discussed at all?

There needs to be some kind of a glance added that puts it in car mode so it won't track bullshit calories. Even when it's off my fucking wrist in the center console it's tracking me as burning calories. It shouldn't be tracking anything at all when its not strapped to my wrist.

jts

...hate me...
It would be cool if Apple (or anyone) could sell a bluetooth iBeacon for the car for more accurate geofencing and automatically turning on car modes for both the iPhone and Watch.

Seems like such a no-brainer. The iBeacon stuff as a whole still needs to be untapped.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It would be cool if Apple (or anyone) could sell a bluetooth iBeacon for the car for more accurate geofencing and automatically turning on car modes for both the iPhone and Watch.

Seems like such a no-brainer. The iBeacon stuff as a whole still needs to be untapped.
This is a really good idea. But it would be tricky to get the range just right so it always worked in your car but never worked say, when you are in your house and your car is in the garage or driveway.

Sometimes I get in the car and start it while my wife was inside on the phone, the radio will start playing her telephone convo over Bluetooth lol

Moreche

Decided to return my SS watch with leather loop and classic buckle.
I think I'll get better use using the money for an Xbox One and WiiU.

Ninja Dom

Just completed my first 24 hours with Apple Watch. I went to work so I used it in my work environment. I'm very pleased with it. It took a while to set it up just how I want and there could be further tweaking.

It really is a great way to deal with notifications and iMessage. I love that aspect. Phone calls have been great quality. People would never have known I was using an Apple Watch, much like you can't tell if people are using a Bluetooth headset.

Great stuff so far. But I think the battery of my iPhone is taking a bit of a hit. Will have to do more testing with that.

Yeah, for calories, they should stick to calories burned by activity, not motion. Driving in a car should not burn calories like you're running 60mph, if that's how it's working. If you haven't turned on an activity via first party or 3rd party app, forget the calorie burn counting. Lots of things to work out.

Just completed my first 24 hours with Apple Watch. I went to work so I used it in my work environment. I'm very pleased with it. It took a while to set it up just how I want and there could be further tweaking.

It really is a great way to deal with notifications and iMessage. I love that aspect. Phone calls have been great quality. People would never have known I was using an Apple Watch, much like you can't tell if people are using a Bluetooth headset.

Great stuff so far. But I think the battery of my iPhone is taking a bit of a hit. Will have to do more testing with that.

Dealing with notifications with iMessage and Mail is really satisfying on the watch. I'm one of those weird people that only uses the Apple's mail app , but I then get all the benefits of it with people able to archive, read it, mark as read... soon be able to reply with 2.0

Top Bottom